Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Terrorism?
    #2534775 - 04/07/04 11:19 AM (20 years, 13 days ago)

Can somebody please explain to me why this shouldnt be classed as terrorism?

Link

'40 killed' as US targets mosque

George Wright and agencies
Wednesday April 7, 2004

A US helicopter today fired three missiles at a mosque in the besieged Iraqi city of Falluja, killing as many as 40 Iraqis, according to witnesses quoted by the Associated Press.
Part of a wall surrounding the Abdul-Aziz al-Samarrai mosque was demolished, an AP reporter at the scene said, although the mosque itself was not damaged. There was no official confirmation of casualties.

The strike came as worshippers were gathering at the mosque for afternoon prayers. Witnesses said that the bodies of the dead and injured were rushed away in cars to private homes in the area that served as makeshift hospitals.

US marines have laid siege to Falluja, which is west of the capital, Baghdad, for the past three days. The operation is aimed at quashing an insurgency by Sunni Muslim militants.

The fighting in Falluja and nearby Ramadi, where 12 US marines were killed overnight, is part of a widening revolt involving both Sunni and Shia militants and stretching from Kirkuk in the north to the British-controlled city of Basra in the south.

An estimated 33 coalition troops and 170 Iraqis have been killed in the latest outbreak of violence. The latest US casualty died when his vehicle was attacked with a rocket-propelled grenade outside a police station in Baghdad today.

Also today, a top aide to radical Shia cleric Moqtada al-Sadr said that his supporters - known as the al-Mahdi Army - had captured a number of soldiers from the US-led coalition.

"Some tribes have captured some occupation forces on the streets," Qays al-Khazali told a news conference in the Shia Muslim holy city of Najaf.

In a further setback for US-led forces, the Ukrainian military today withdrew most of its troops from the city of Kut after heavy fighting with Shia militants.

Yesterday, one Ukrainian soldier was killed and five were wounded in the city. The death was the first combat fatality for Ukraine's 1,650-strong contingent in Iraq.

Despite the withdrawal, Brigadier-General Mark Kimmitt, deputy director of operations for the US army in Iraq, remained defiant. "We will attack to destroy the al-Mahdi Army," he said. "Those attacks will be deliberate, precise and they will be successful."

He said that US forces were working to hunt down members of the militia in the mainly Shia district of Sadr City, in Baghdad, and called on Mr Sadr to surrender. "If he wants to calm the situation ... he can turn himself in to a local Iraqi police station and he can face justice," Brig-Gen Kimmitt said.

He said that Mr Sadr's forces, along with Sunni guerrillas who have opposed US troops for month, are staging a campaign of violence to disrupt the June 30 handover of power from the US to an Iraqi government.

Within hours of his statement, Polish troops reportedly killed one of Mr Sadr's lieutenants in Kerbala.

An Iraqi police spokesman told Reuters that Murtada al-Mussawi, who ran Mr Sadr's Kerbala office, was killed in fighting with Polish troops in the centre of the city.

Mourners carried away his body, chanting "today we will free Kerbala from the Jews", according to witnesses. There was no immediate comment from Polish forces, who head a multinational division in the area.

The deteriorating situation prompted emergency talks in Washington. The US president, George Bush, today held meetings with senior administration officials and advisers amid fears that the current crisis could jeopardise the planned June 30 handover of sovereignty to the Iraq people.

With November's presidential election approaching, a decision to move the date back could prove politically damaging to Mr Bush.

There are currently around 135,000 US troops in Iraq, and Washington hopes to reduce that number to 115,000 by June. However, the military may need more soldiers to cope with the growing resistance.

US General John Abizaid has asked for "options" to be made available in the event that he needs more troops.

The US defence secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, said that Gen Abizaid will get more troops if he requests them. "At the present time, they've announced no change in their plans, but they could make such a request at any time," he said.

"They will decide what they need, and they'll get what they need."

Senior Pentagon officials believe that the current situation in Iraq is a "test of wills" between US-led troops and resistance fighters, and insist that they will prevail.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: Terrorism? [Re: GazzBut]
    #2534846 - 04/07/04 11:38 AM (20 years, 13 days ago)

because it is the terrorists doing the classifing.

KILL the tele-vision programming!!!

...kill it till it's dead.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2534918 - 04/07/04 11:54 AM (20 years, 13 days ago)

A US helicopter today fired three missiles at a mosque in the besieged Iraqi city of Falluja, killing as many as 40 Iraqis, according to witnesses quoted by the Associated Press.

Nothing like pouring gasoline on a fire.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Here and there
    #2535615 - 04/07/04 02:33 PM (20 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Can somebody please explain to me why this shouldnt be classed as terrorism?

For the same reason that when Israelis kill civilians it's also not considered terrorism... Humm, I guess that doesn't really answer your question.

--------------------
<~>Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake <~>

Anonymous

#2535643 - 04/07/04 02:42 PM (20 years, 13 days ago)

""We do not attack mosques willy-nilly, but we will fire back at any place where we take direct fire," said Lt. Col. Brennan T. Byrne, commander of the 1st Battalion, 5th Marines, one of two regiments that entered Fallujah on Monday as part of a massive operation to eliminate anti-occupation forces from the city, which is about 35 miles west of Baghdad.

Byrne and other officers said about 40 armed men gathered at the Abdul Aziz Samarai Mosque Wednesday morning and set up bunkers outside it, from which they opened fire on U.S. troops with rifles and rocket-propelled grenades, wounding four Marines sitting in a Humvee several blocks away.

After ground attacks failed to dislodge the fighters, Marine officers at different command posts in the city debated via radio whether to bring in larger weapons, and how to minimize civilian casualties. Finally, in mid-afternoon, they called in air strikes that seriously damaged the mosque.

Byrne initially said all the fighters inside were presumed killed, and Iraqi news reports said numerous bodies had been taken to Fallujah's main hospital. In a late-evening briefing, however, Byrne said his troops had found no bodies, bloodstains or weapons when they entered the mosque after the bombing.

"They profaned the mosque by their actions," said Maj. Gen. James N. Mattis, commander of the 1st Marine Division, who visited the operation command center in an abandoned factory Wednesday along with Gen. Michael W. Hagee, commandant of the Marine Corps. "If they decide to fight from a mosque, we will take them out, but we will also be precise about how we do it."

There was also fighting around a second mosque in the same district, a magnificent blue-domed building near the entrance to the city. Insurgents had gathered there and exchanged fire with Marines Tuesday, and Marines found weapons and ammunition there Wednesday. "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57805-2004Apr7.html

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2535826 - 04/07/04 03:44 PM (20 years, 13 days ago)

So if you're being shot at and you return fire... you consider that terrorism?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Terrorism? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2535848 - 04/07/04 03:51 PM (20 years, 13 days ago)

possibly if the retalation is done at prayer gathering...i doubt they were all firing from the mosque. In that case the wounded and innocent have a right to join thier local resistance faction and fire back :lol:, your right, i guess that wouldn't be considered terrorism.

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#2538000 - 04/08/04 01:46 AM (20 years, 13 days ago)

Perhaps we should start a fund to raise money to buy you a brain eh luvdem? Cos i for one am sick of your lobotomised posts.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2538155 - 04/08/04 03:43 AM (20 years, 13 days ago)

:shocked:

So don't read them.

Or.... increase the thought that goes into yours and I won't need to point out the absurdity of them.

Shooting at those who are shooting at you does not qualify as terrorism, no matter how much you may wish it were so.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (04/08/04 03:46 AM)

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#2538222 - 04/08/04 04:58 AM (20 years, 13 days ago)

whateva

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Edited by GazzBut (04/08/04 04:59 AM)

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #2538288 - 04/08/04 06:03 AM (20 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
Perhaps we should start a fund to raise money to buy you a brain eh luvdem? Cos i for one am sick of your lobotomised posts.

Don't sweat it, Gazz. With friends like Luv, the right hardly needs enemies.

InvisibleDieCommie

#2538303 - 04/08/04 06:13 AM (20 years, 13 days ago)

All these threads are ... in this whole politics forum ... is ranting about hating Bush, America, and Republicans in general....

You should be happy luvdemshrooms is here other wise there could be no discussion or argument...but i guess you'd prefer to just rant over and over with no other opinions allowed.....

Anonymous

#2538840 - 04/08/04 11:07 AM (20 years, 12 days ago)

so its terrorism to return fire?

are you kidding me?

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2538922 - 04/08/04 11:30 AM (20 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Shooting at those who are shooting at you does not qualify as terrorism, no matter how much you may wish it were so.

:wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2538930 - 04/08/04 11:34 AM (20 years, 12 days ago)

luvdem is dead on.

just because it's a church doesn't make it terrorism.

it was a militaristic position being held by the enemy
who had been taking offensive measures against the
US servicemen from said location.

the fact that they are using a mosque as a command
post says a lot about the nature of the insurgency.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Anonymous

Re: Terrorism? [Re: ]
    #2538961 - 04/08/04 11:46 AM (20 years, 12 days ago)

"So if you're being shot at and you return fire... you consider that terrorism?"

-luvdemshrooms

"so its terrorism to return fire?

are you kidding me?"

-immaculate

you wouldn't have known that they were returning fire from reading that entirely one-sided peice of irresponsible propaganda the guardian saw it fit to publish. i suppose a bloody raid on a mosque was too juicy a story for the rabid lefties at the guardian to tell the truth about.

just when i thought my opinion of that rag couldn't sink any lower...

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2539862 - 04/08/04 03:21 PM (20 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

immaculate said:

are you kidding me?

Watch it, Gazzy is so sure the US is always wrong that he'll accuse you of not having a brain.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2540061 - 04/08/04 04:11 PM (20 years, 12 days ago)

I have to say I've lost my taste for the Guardian too. I don't believe in the general perception of a "liberal media" but the Guardian is pure propaganda which has as much spin as Bill O'Reilly's "No Spin Zone."

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
    #2540129 - 04/08/04 04:22 PM (20 years, 12 days ago)

Sorry

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

Edited by Semilanceata (04/08/04 04:24 PM)

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#2553460 - 04/13/04 05:34 AM (20 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

are you kidding me?

I dont think it has been established either way whether the people in the Mosque were worshipping or fighting..who knows? Anybody got a conclusive link?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck