Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePhynatikus
Psychonaught

The grain advantage in cakes
    #2534402 - 04/07/04 11:17 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

AFOAF wants to start playing with grain, before he gets into casing again; its been a very long time since he practiced playing god in nature.

So, the question: are there any disadvantages to using a WBS grain in a standard cake?

He rather play with cakes for some time before moving onto a bulk straw, probably ShroomGod's Straw Tek.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: The grain advantage in cakes [Re: Phynatikus]
    #2534463 - 04/07/04 11:35 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

use hulled millet.it will give you far better results than WBS in PF cakes.
if you have to use WBS grind it into a flour first.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

Offlinefrock
    #2534493 - 04/07/04 11:48 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I made a filter bag with WBS and inoculated with multispore. The only place of germination was one small spot where a grain was cracked open. It seems spores have a hard time germinating on the shells. I ended up pitching the bag and made 2 new ones "I mixed the one small spot in and then it never grew back", but this time used a small mixture of BRF and Vermiculite in with it. All seems to be going well this time around.

So I would imagine its fine if there is at least some flour in there so the spores can germinate easily. I dont doubt that thay can without the flour but I would imagine that it would take forever or fail. I coulb be wrong though.

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: The grain advantage in cakes [Re: frock]
    #2534533 - 04/07/04 12:05 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

mycelium can not digest the hard outer hulls of grains.
if you break apart a spent grain casing you will see that all of the hulls are intact but the centers of the grains have been consumed.
this is why hulled millet is the best choice for use as an additive to pf jars.

here's a basic over view of my brf/hulled millet that i wrote ages ago to help some one in PM.

i started playing with organic hulled millet (OHM) when i started out not that long ago.

i tried alsorts of ratios,such as swapping half the brf for ohm,normal brf and a half measure of ohm,i played around with water ratios etc.

the last batch i made was the best sofar and was 2parts verm,1part water,1part brf and 1 part hulled millet.

this mix gives twice the normal nutrient reserve of a standard pf cake,it's also generaly agreed that millet produces a higher psilocybin content.

i use half pint jars as i like the fast colonisation speed.

i PC my jars for around 50 minutes to an hour.

cakes made this way really need to be cased to realise their full potential,i'd suggest using straight coco-coir,i've played around with coir/verm mixes at different ratios,and have found that straight coir works the best(the main difference i noticed is much less shrinkage than with 60/40 etc.

moisten the coir to feild capacity(should drip just a little when squeezed)PC the coir in pint jars for 30 minutes(you can pack as much coir per jar as will fit.

use a bottom layer of coir about 3/4 to 1 inch deep and mist well with a 25/1 water/H202 mix

then dump the colonised cakes (dry verm layer and everything)into clean ziplock bags,crumble well then add coir so you have about a 70/30 mix(starters rez effect)mist the substrate/coir genourously while still in the bag,then lay the substrate mix onto the bottom layer.

finaly add a quater inch top layer and mist once again.

place into incubator at 86f for three days,mist the surface once each day,after 72 hours patch any areas that have broken thru,dont add more coir,just use a knife or something to push the coir around from the uncolonised part to the colonised areas,doing this makes it easier for the uncolonised parts to break thru and catch up.

birth on the fourth day no matter how much of the surface area is colonised(most people incubate for way too long)also dont mist the surface of the casing after myc starts to break thru,mist for the last time when you patch.

if you dont have a good incubator(i recommend a tub in a tub)and you have problems maintaining 86f your going to have to allow more incubation time.

and here is three half pints of BRF/Hulled Millet cased with straight coir.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2547983 - 04/11/04 03:46 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I agree with Hanky, go hulled millet since the hulls have no food value. Look at all the hull bloat in this whole grain millet when ground up.

Compare to BRF which is 100% food.

You'll find ground up whole millet takes longer to colonise than BRF because it doesn't adhere as well to the vermiculite particles. You may even get sections in and on the cakes that don't colonise.

Less food means smaller results.

Use hulled millet to make the flour.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflinePhynatikus
Psychonaught

Re: The grain advantage in cakes [Re: Hanky]
    #2548642 - 04/11/04 01:04 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well, my friend would like to thank both of you for your responses. He will be sure not to use WBS, as the advantages are obvious. Thanks again for all your input.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation