Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBolwarra
Stranger

Loc: Australia
semi-sterile environment
    #2534067 - 04/07/04 07:10 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Hi all,
I recently got myself a used (2'x1'x1' LxWxH) fish tank which i will stand on its side an place in my clean room...i don't own anything fancy like a HEPA, just a PC and a number of other essentials.

I plan on mostly using it for a place to do agar-agar and grain transfers etc but can i also perform tasks like making syringes/prints as well as using it for an incubator? - with heatmat underneath the tank itself.

I have noticed a few people use 'similar' setups but is ok to use it for all these purposes. I understand this may be too many possible contaminating activities to perform near colonizing jars?

also can anyone suggest something other than cling wrap/glad wrap to create a decent seal for when it's not in use? i could see that being rather tedious not to mention wasteful, but can't think of anything else.

any advice would be great.
thanks.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLoki
Ferret Farmer
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: semi-sterile environment [Re: Bolwarra]
    #2534228 - 04/07/04 08:25 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

If you add a lid, and glove holes, you can easyerly turn it into a glove box.

Do a search here on glove boxes, and you'll see how easy it is to convert.

Then you can make up syringes, take prints, do agar transpheres ext, with some degree of saftly.

InvisibleBolwarra
Stranger

Re: semi-sterile environment [Re: Loki]
    #2534485 - 04/07/04 09:45 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

thanks loki:

I'm aware of gloveboxs, but this fishtank only has one open side (place the lid once occupied - now long gone).
If this side was sealed up and gloves were fixed how could i get all the necessary items i need into and out of the environment without having to take it apart and reconstruct it each time?

wouldn't that almost defeat it's purpose?

--------------------

Offlinefrock
    #2534504 - 04/07/04 09:54 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Of course it has to open up to put things in. After stuff is in there you can re-steralize the enviorment, then take the stuff out of its bag, petri-dish, ect. This way there will be no air current in the box, and what little there is, you just killed everything in there by resteralizing the inside with lysol or alcohol. If you have a flame inside be very carefull as you should probably wait a few minutes after a lysol spray.

InvisibleBolwarra
Stranger

Re: semi-sterile environment [Re: frock]
    #2534650 - 04/07/04 10:40 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

thanks frock im aware of that also my point is that each time i need to get inside i will have to ruin the main seal/glove seal...maybe a glovebox would be better suited to somthing that has another entry point?

--------------------

Offlineexan
Experimenter

Loc: Finland
    #2534686 - 04/07/04 10:55 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

what you do is you get a piece of cardboard or plexiglass whatever u wanna use for the top of ur fishtank, load everything up, spray lysol or 1/100 bleach water, put everything in there, spray again, let the lysol/bleachy water settle, and then do ur work

oh yah, all u do is if ur ghetto like me, u use duct tape everytime after u load up ur jars, tape it up against the fishtank (make sure u already made the 2 wholes for ur gloves, (i dont got gloves, I use 2 garbage bags. anyways ill try to get pics of my setup for u later, it's real easy, and it works really well, i havent gotten one contam yet out of like 20+ cakes that ive done g2g transfers.

good luck

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures