Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleNumeroEno
I come from the land of lizards
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gamehendge Flag
Re: Humidity Chamber Tek for fruiting BRF cakes [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25340309 - 07/22/18 10:25 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I only ever made a SGFC once for some little trays I did. Where I live, in the desert, you can’t mist them enough.

--------------------

:gd_icon:  Let it grow! Let it grow! Greatly yield!  :gd_icon:
What shall we say, shall we call it by a name
As well to count the angels dancing on a pin
Water bright as the sky from which it came
And the name is on the earth that takes it in

DOG FOOD AGAR

MY ELECTRIC INOCULATION LOOP

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMateja
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: Here
Re: Humidity Chamber Tek for fruiting BRF cakes [Re: bodhisatta] * 2
    #25341020 - 07/22/18 05:45 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Idk i used a sgfc to start and it worked great. I actually overmisted my cakes despite a dry ass house. And that was back in my never home party days

Here's my only old sgfc pics but I managed to over do misting and that was with a morning and night mist schedule only

My only dislike was perlite coming out of the bottom holes but a boot mat fixed that problem

By all means a sgfc isn't my favorite but it takes like 0 skill IMO its foolproof. Maybe i sound rude by if your cake is healthy I don't see how its possible to fuck it up sgfc or not. Cakes are so easy they fruit on a table with a baggie.

I hear you Bod, it's just that when BRF cakes start to dry out it often ends in irreversible problems. These tiny ass substrates are sensitive to abuse and don't recover well if you start to fuck them up.

So now we arrive at an age long debate, should we hold noobs hands and cushin them trough their PF Tek grows or should they learn the hard way and learn to do it right?
We have discussed this before and I agree that one learns a lot trough building a SGFC and trying to maintain proper fruiting conditions, I know I did.

I'm sure you know my goal is not to stomp the shit out of the SGFC, I personally don't think it deserves such a destiny, it has revolutionized the craft and after all done tons of good world wide and it deserves it's credit in its own way. It's just that times have moved on, and "putting someting wet in a tub" is as easy as "placing a boot mat under the SGFC" and after that everything else about the SGFC becomes unnecessary work and maintanence IMO :shrug:

I really don't wish to see "fuck the SGFC" and other degrading comments about it, all I wish is a seemless transition from the old into the new :frown:
Noobs will overmist, undermist and what not. But I think they are paying a too high price by spending syringes and months only to end up with dry matted cakes that are unable to produce pins, or even worse only to produce a few lousy aborts.

I don't know statistically what the success (fail?) rate is for a total noob and SGFC cakes but reading posts for about 3 years tells me this trend of failed PF Tek grows won't change until the fruiting chamber changes. This is just my 2 cents. :mushroom2::heart:

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
Re: Humidity Chamber Tek for fruiting BRF cakes [Re: Mateja]
    #25341038 - 07/22/18 05:53 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

For my very first project, back in 2008, I put two six quart trays in a Shotgun fruiting chamber and harvested more than a quarter pound dry. I love the things.

Folks new to mushroom cultivation don't have to do cakes if they don't wish to.  Not a thing wrong with a proper Shotgun tub.

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Loc: Dreamland
Re: Humidity Chamber Tek for fruiting BRF cakes [Re: Psuper]
    #25341082 - 07/22/18 06:12 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

The main reason I hate SGFC is drilling the holes and dealing with perlite

Both are annoying, and while the holes are a one time thing, the perlite is just a continued mess and cost

Even just cleaning perlite out of the tub is really annoying

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
Re: Humidity Chamber Tek for fruiting BRF cakes [Re: pixelpopper]
    #25341103 - 07/22/18 06:25 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pixelpopper said:
The main reason I hate SGFC is drilling the holes and dealing with perlite

Both are annoying, and while the holes are a one time thing, the perlite is just a continued mess and cost

Even just cleaning perlite out of the tub is really annoying

The reason for the constant mess is because you are using too small of a grade of perlite.  RogerRabbit's original instructions call for a coarse grade perlite.  This coarse grade can be an inch or more in size - it is purchased in 4 cu/ft bags from horticultural suppliers.

Air flows over the huge chunky perlite with ease.

It is common to see pictures of Shotgun tubs without enough depth to the perlite, as well.

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

InvisibleMateja

Re: Humidity Chamber Tek for fruiting BRF cakes [Re: Psuper] * 1
    #25341109 - 07/22/18 06:27 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

:doublefacepalm:
Sometimes I wish I was from south west Europe and had much better English and was bold and cocky enough to get my point across loud and clear... where's that hedgehog when you need him? :lol:

Quote:

Psuper said:
Not a thing wrong with a proper Shotgun tub.

Not a thing wrong with open air fruiting either but that's beside the point of this Tek..

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

InvisibleGerms
Space Force
 User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Trusted Cultivator
    #25341113 - 07/22/18 06:28 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Fuck perlite and drilling 200 holes
Good shit M
:dancer:

--------------------

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Humidity Chamber Tek for fruiting BRF cakes [Re: Germs]
    #25341139 - 07/22/18 06:40 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

back in the day we didnt have a cool chamber with the shroomerys stamp of approval like the sgfc.
it does keep the inner noob busy. which serves a point fo sho' but the main reason ive never built one..is..:rolleyes:

because of its unitask nature. and all dem holes:crankey:
yall seen my first sab. you think im drilling holes??:rofl:

InvisibleMateja

Re: Humidity Chamber Tek for fruiting BRF cakes [Re: Germs]
    #25341142 - 07/22/18 06:42 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Germs said:
drilling 200 holes

Why'd you only drill on two sides? :lmafo: feckin noob

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

OfflinesMileHighCity
o(一︿一)o
Male

Loc: Big Sky Flag
    #25341356 - 07/22/18 08:44 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I'm with you all. Fuck sgfcs. Even before I tried I knew it was going to fail in my situation. And sure enough. I'd have to go in and mist 4,5,6 times a day to achieve proper humidity. I then took a Gatorade bottle, filled the bottom with perlite and water, put the bottle back together and left it alone.  Worked great. I would never waste the time again drilling all those holes.
Nice tek OP!

OfflineUnderCaffinated
Stranger

#25341359 - 07/22/18 08:45 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Stupid noob question time. Or, I overthink things.

1. did you pasteurize your coir or do anything to it other than get it wet?

2. are you sure about that towel business man? that would get sour and be so bad wouldn't it? I mean, laundry...two weeks...eww??

3. How much depth of coir did you use? I mean, cuz....that seems like it might matter volume wise for the amount of humidity you have available?

I say this having not done an SGFC for my first grow but doing the mono/SGFC hybrid and i think i managed to overmist it early on..

Edited by UnderCaffinated (07/22/18 08:45 PM)

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Humidity Chamber Tek for fruiting BRF cakes [Re: mushboy]
    #25341448 - 07/22/18 09:44 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mushboy said:
back in the day we didnt have a cool chamber with the shroomerys stamp of approval like the sgfc.

I remember those days. The PMP was the shit and everybody was trying to automate. I had a small aquarium. It was awful and heavy, lol.

I'll say I've never had luck with cakes, but trays in a SGFC were the first way I ever got a decent yield. Just cased grain.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

OfflineJrob
Stranger
Re: Humidity Chamber Tek for fruiting BRF cakes [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #25341463 - 07/22/18 09:55 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I'm working on my first grow, I have jars that are a few days into the consolidation phase. I already have my sgfc drilled and ready but have some decisions to make now....

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Loc: Dreamland
Re: Humidity Chamber Tek for fruiting BRF cakes [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #25341466 - 07/22/18 09:57 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
Quote:

mushboy said:

I remember those days. The PMP was the shit and everybody was trying to automate. I had a small aquarium. It was awful and heavy, lol.

Yep. I remember using an aquarium with one of those pieces of glass you'd put in at an angle and spray one side of it.. all that shit... jesus

I started growing from an actual printed PF Tek booklet  :paw:

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25341520 - 07/22/18 11:00 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mateah said:
Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
So you don't crack the lid or do anything for FAE? Have you tried different containers?

Quote:

JHOVA said:
im assuming the lid is upside down ?

I've done mostly 5L tubs like in the pics and also a few 11L tubs.

I've done both flipped lid and regular snapped on, didn't notice a difference really.

On early tries I did a few mistings here and there about 4-5 in total and progressively less and less misting until the last two grows were with no misting at all and with no verm on cakes. First flush always looks better than second flush, second flush fruits have some fuzzy feet. That still doesn't explain why first flush fruits don't have fuzz since they get exactly the same amount of FAE.

Digesting substrate is what produces most of the CO2 so maybe during the first flush, because there was still a buildup of stored nutrients from the colonization phase, less digestion was occurring.

--------------------

Offlinemushroomnate
Pstranger
 User Gallery

Re: Humidity Chamber Tek for fruiting BRF cakes [Re: pixelpopper]
    #25341532 - 07/22/18 11:16 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pixelpopper said:
Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
Quote:

mushboy said:

Yep. I remember using an aquarium with one of those pieces of glass you'd put in at an angle and spray one side of it.. all that shit... jesus

I started growing from an actual printed PF Tek booklet  :paw:

:highfive1:
I wish I still had my old pics.:lol:

--------------------

BRF to bulk/Cakes as spawn

InvisibleMateja

Re: Humidity Chamber Tek for fruiting BRF cakes [Re: Jrob]
    #25341557 - 07/22/18 11:54 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

UnderCaffinated said:
Stupid noob question time. Or, I overthink things.

1. did you pasteurize your coir or do anything to it other than get it wet?

2. are you sure about that towel business man? that would get sour and be so bad wouldn't it? I mean, laundry...two weeks...eww??

3. How much depth of coir did you use? I mean, cuz....that seems like it might matter volume wise for the amount of humidity you have available?

I say this having not done an SGFC for my first grow but doing the mono/SGFC hybrid and i think i managed to overmist it early on..

I didn't do anything to the coir except get it REALLY soaking wet.
The depth of the coir is about 1 inch.
Don't use a towel lol Let's start with coir cause I know that works 100% at least. :super:

Quote:

Jrob said:
I'm working on my first grow, I have jars that are a few days into the consolidation phase. I already have my sgfc drilled and ready but have some decisions to make now....

I would put some cakes in the SGFC and some in the HC if I were you, that would be awesome to see side by side :yesnod:

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #25342145 - 07/23/18 10:56 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jrob said:

I would put some cakes in the SGFC and some in the HC if I were you, that would be awesome to see side by side :yesnod:

Hell yea, this would be a great test. How do they compare when used by a first timer.

InvisibleBattyKodaS
WCA President
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Boof Hard Or Go Home
Re: Humidity Chamber Tek for fruiting BRF cakes [Re: LtLurker]
    #25342188 - 07/23/18 11:14 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Very Nice Write-Up Mateah!!! :super:

--------------------

A Man Must Learn To Sail In All Winds.:bliss: RIP ModestMouse & Big Worm:heart:

OfflineJrob
Stranger
Re: Humidity Chamber Tek for fruiting BRF cakes [Re: LtLurker]
    #25342214 - 07/23/18 11:32 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

LtLurker said:
Quote:

Jrob said:

Hell yea, this would be a great test. How do they compare when used by a first timer.

That's a great idea. I only have 7 cakes though, not sure if splitting them up with such a small number would work well, especially in a full size sgfc.

I also have 2 grain bags colonizing, so I was already doing a split grow for my first go round. I will update this thread if I decide to use this new method or a combination of the 2.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom