Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Working under alcohol lamp [Re: FishLevelMidnight]
    #25445925 - 09/08/18 07:31 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

fishermansjc said:
What about thousands of labs around the world that use burners for bacterial work?

Even if you aren’t using antibiotics to select.

They toss the plates after 5-7 days anyway. I do beer QC there's no particular sterile technique make plates put beer on see if contamination grows. If mold grows we know it's from the air because mold(aerobic ones) cant grow in beer. So it would be labeled MOG or mold overgrowth. And doesn't confound the results.

No lab that slants cultures would use the Bunsen burner technique

--------------------
Welcome to the Advanced Mycology Forum

Bod's Library    Article behind a paywall? I can try to get it for you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Working under alcohol lamp [Re: LizardWizard]
    #25445982 - 09/08/18 07:58 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

LizardWizard said:
It's indeed a much easier way of working than the dreadful confines of a SAB, and a lot cheaper than any hood, but since no one ever put up a tek for it, no one will ever have use for it. So if you're up for it...

Maybe I'll do that as soon as I find the time and energy to do so. Maybe in winter because the summer season gets really crazy for me at work and I have no days off at all. Or maybe I'll just continue using the burners, shut up and grow, coz I have no intention to become a paradigm breaker or anything nor do I have the "scientific knowledge/background"  or even the energy to defend this.

I wish I could answer all those interesting questions you asked but I'm no scientist and to be honest I don't care that much about the scientific facts. All I care about are results and shrooms. And the results so far have been amazing, although it took me some tweaking to learn how to use the burners properly.

I've been striving with a severe mold problem where I grow, which is an old apartment that I use exclusively for cult. At some point my SAB sessions became a nightmare when I had always had great success with the plastic box. Started doing some experiments with a torch kinda as a last resort and had some interesting results.  That led me to buy my 2 bunsen burners and all of a sudden my mold problems dissapear in one fell swoop and I have virtually a 100% success rate. So of course the SAB can go fuck itself now.

All my grows from a few months back have been done using exclusively my pair of burners and I didn't encounter a single issue. And all my future grows will be done using exclusively my pair of burners. I'd rather let my work speak for itself than having to make a tek about something that I myself don't understand all too well how it works, besides some anecdotal observations and first hand experience.

Edited by Josex (09/08/18 08:04 PM)

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Working under alcohol lamp [Re: Josex]
    #25445993 - 09/08/18 08:02 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Ive had stuff that looked as bad as your trich towel more than a few times
And my basement is moldy as shit
And well my SAB worked fine. You're one of the smarter/ist dudes here jose but I wana see something before I jump on your bandwagon.

--------------------

OfflineMtez44
LuckyRabbit
 User Gallery

Re: Working under alcohol lamp [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25446005 - 09/08/18 08:08 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Jose,

Im just interested in how you do it so I can mimic. Would love a demonstration. or even a point in the right direction.

For now I going to use camping rocket burners. I think they should do the trick. Just going to keep everything as close to the burner as I can and keep everything under the flame.

Are there any other rules to follow?

--------------------

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Working under alcohol lamp [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25446036 - 09/08/18 08:21 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Lol no, the towel wasn't my issue at all, that was just the only reason I could think of atm before I discovered the real problem, which was that all the wooden blind boxes (or whatever you call it in English) of every single window were rotting away and were completely covered in green. I even had to seal all the boxes and windows with silicone.

A procedure as simple and quick as barely cracking a lid in the SAB and squirting sterile water could very well get me some mold. The house was fucked beyond redemption but some people here seem to think a plastic box, still air and good technique trumps it all, no matter how wildly different your environment/situation may be. Well not my experience at all.

I started working with a SAB when I was a noob in an old dusty basement and had nearly zero issues, so I know you can use a SAB effectively in really dirty places, just not in this shithole of a mold city I currently grow in. :shrug:

InvisibleLizardWizard
GnomeGrower
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the parking lot
Re: Working under alcohol lamp [Re: Josex]
    #25446672 - 09/09/18 04:51 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

:whathesaid: is quite like my experience, only my solution was the hood. Sometimes an SAB isn't all you need, sometimes it's quite the opposite. And people who start giving me shit about technique n all, there's no issue with the use of a hood, nor were there issues in anywhere near that magnitude with the use of an SAB in my living space before mold city, so that would point to the technique being fine.

I'd like a quick demo as well, no real need to defend it or be scientific about it, more of a short "How Josex gets shit done" kind of thread. I won't be the one asking for extra efforts to prove yourself or whatever, your grows DO speak for themselves.

I doubt a camping burner works very well, I think the flame needs to jet upward more rather than going wide like with a campsite burner. But I'm thinking it might be possible to make it out of a campsite burner and some copper tubing if you're handy enough.

--------------------
The best things in life
can be smelled on one's fingers.

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: Working under alcohol lamp [Re: LizardWizard]
    #25446808 - 09/09/18 06:47 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I blew up a glovebox once or twice with alcohol (back when i still sprayed the air inside with alcohol.. ugh!), although kinda scary for a moment I think it is like a very hot and heavy marriage between a sterile box and a Bunsen burner - for when everything just absolutely must be sterile

Offlineteladi
FUNKSOULBROTHER

Loc: South Africa Flag
Re: Working under alcohol lamp [Re: sagecl]
    #25449033 - 09/10/18 04:29 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

fishermansjc said:
What about thousands of labs around the world that use burners for bacterial work?

Even if you aren’t using antibiotics to select.

Quote:

sagecl said:
Any thoughts on this technique? I know it's not as good as a proper SAB but it is very oftenly used on real microbiology labs.
Is it fittable to agar duty ?

You guys are forgetting about the sterilization procedures that the labs themselves undergo. Air inside is clean, so contamination is far less of an issue. That's why you can grow E. coli in non-selective media and only grow E. coli, inoculating and aliquoting in open air, 'cause it's not the same open air as we have.

--------------------

OfflineFishLevelMidnight
Aquaman
Male User Gallery

Re: Working under alcohol lamp [Re: teladi]
    #25449078 - 09/10/18 05:27 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

This is absolutely incorrect

Do you know how much it costs to produce clean air in a lab? Most labs are outfitted from older buildings and this is stupid expense.

The vast majority of labs don’t have “clean air”. Some higher level biosafety labs might have posivltive pressure in the room to help keep things out, but the majority of labs this isn’t the case.
At least on the academic research  side of things, commercial/industry labs are usually newer and nicer.

Not only that, but to have “clean air” and also bring people in and out of the space is hard as balls.

Are you pulling this out of your ass or do you have experience in a research lab?

That bit about only getting E. coli, yeah that’s how it works when you work under a Bunsen burner and inoculate the dish with E. coli... it works

--------------------

Trade List

Offlineteladi
FUNKSOULBROTHER

Loc: South Africa Flag
Re: Working under alcohol lamp [Re: FishLevelMidnight]
    #25449121 - 09/10/18 06:01 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I have 2 years in a postgrad lab as a masters slave spent investigating immune systems of a marine mollusc. My time was mostly spent extracting and sequencing DNA, followed by a lot of time trying to figure out what they were.

"Clean air" is relative. What may be clean in one situation is dirty in others. Even the undergrad labs had recirculated air, and periodic full room sterilization.  Higher biosafety level labs have negative air pressure, not positive. This to keep the bad things you are investigating inside.

Depending on the requirements of the room itself, certain procedures can be waived or ignored, affecting the operating cost. Air locks and the like aren't always required. Inward opening doors are kept closed in positive pressure rooms by the pressure (and spring swing arms).

Besides, air in an office building is cleaner than the air in our homes. Not clean down to HEPA H14 standards or beyond, but cleaner nonetheless.

Some time later...I can't remember the exact configuration of ventilation in the various labs. The higher rated ones were completely isolated.

--------------------

Edited by teladi (09/10/18 01:12 PM)

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Working under alcohol lamp [Re: FishLevelMidnight] * 1
    #25449325 - 09/10/18 08:33 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

fishermansjc said:
This is absolutely incorrect

Do you know how much it costs to produce clean air in a lab? Most labs are outfitted from older buildings and this is stupid expense.

The vast majority of labs don’t have “clean air”. Some higher level biosafety labs might have posivltive pressure in the room to help keep things out, but the majority of labs this isn’t the case.
At least on the academic research  side of things, commercial/industry labs are usually newer and nicer.

Not only that, but to have “clean air” and also bring people in and out of the space is hard as balls.

Are you pulling this out of your ass or do you have experience in a research lab?

That bit about only getting E. coli, yeah that’s how it works when you work under a Bunsen burner and inoculate the dish with E. coli... it works

No, its correct.

--------------------

OfflinePsychdelicSpore
Funginner
Male

Re: Working under alcohol lamp [Re: sagecl]
    #28595993 - 12/24/23 03:01 AM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Yes, this is an old post but what else is there that you haven't went through on growing mushies? EXACTLY!!!
Now for something new! If you use an alcohol burner in a SAB, you are pulling dirty air through the armholes and into the box as it pushes out clean air from the top of the flame. Aka Circulating air within the SAb. Use a torch lighter or a tool sterilizer, not an alcohol burner.

Invisiblehellofresh
Strangler

Re: Working under alcohol lamp [Re: PsychdelicSpore]
    #28596639 - 12/24/23 01:48 PM (3 months, 2 days ago)

Quote:

PsychdelicSpore said:
Yes, this is an old post but what else is there that you haven't went through on growing mushies? EXACTLY!!!
Now for something new! If you use an alcohol burner in a SAB, you are pulling dirty air through the armholes and into the box as it pushes out clean air from the top of the flame. Aka Circulating air within the SAb. Use a torch lighter or a tool sterilizer, not an alcohol burner.

Did you not even read the posts before you just replied?

--------------------
Don't panic

InvisibleLizardWizard
GnomeGrower
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the parking lot
Re: Working under alcohol lamp [Re: PsychdelicSpore]
    #28597298 - 12/25/23 03:52 AM (3 months, 2 days ago)

Voting fo
Quote:

PsychdelicSpore said:

:wtf3:

--------------------
The best things in life
can be smelled on one's fingers.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds