Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomInhaler
No, I don'tsmoke them! :P

Germinating and starting cannabis plant growth.
    #2533215 - 04/06/04 09:30 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Heya. My friend has 8 seed that I am germinating using a damp towel (the seeds are in the folded wet towel). I heard this might work, but if anyone has a better way, please do tell.

My plan is to germinate the seeds, and start the growing of the plants, until they are about a foot high, then planting them in the wild. I don't know if this is possible, and thats why I'm asking these questions :P. Will I need special light bulbs even for the first foot or so of growth?
I plan on planting the plants in a fairly damp area in the forest. Is there anything special I should consider?
Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChiefThunderbong
Inhale to theChief
 User Gallery

Re: Germinating and starting cannabis plant growth. [Re: ShroomInhaler]
    #2533240 - 04/06/04 09:40 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

You should consider posting in the correct forum, maybe you'll get replies then. You should also consider doing some research.....start here - www.ask.com

--------------------
Yeah spinnin' around again
yea caught in a tailspin

OfflineJumpy
Jumpy
    #2533439 - 04/06/04 10:53 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

be careful...the problem with germinating in a bag and towel is that they go through shock when you move them

same goes for when you put them in the ground

http://www.grasscity.com is a better site...good luck

OfflineLuNaTiX
Quarterback
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #2534058 - 04/07/04 07:02 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Get yourself a large florescent light, maybe one of the four foot dubble ones, this should be enough to start them off. make sure the light is at least a foot away from the plants. make sure you have a fan on them, it really makes all the differance.

--------------------

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Germinating and starting cannabis plant growth. [Re: LuNaTiX]
    #2534076 - 04/07/04 07:18 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Bad advice..
Long fluorescent lights suck for seedlings, get compact fluorescents
A four foot fluoro at one foot plus away won't do jack shit, put the plants as close to the fluoro as possible, almost touching. Fluoros don't get hot

Anonymous

#2535228 - 04/07/04 01:10 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Throw them in soil, I find the paper towel method COMPLETELY useless and needlessly time consuming if you have good seeds.

OfflineLuNaTiX
Quarterback
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Germinating and starting cannabis plant growth. [Re: zeta]
    #2535240 - 04/07/04 01:15 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Well, thats what I use, I havent had any problems with them.

--------------------

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #2537203 - 04/07/04 09:50 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

paper towel method until the root tip cracks through the seed case. then plant each individual sprouting seed into its own 16 oz or smaller cup w/ good potting soil (root tip facing down). plant about 1/2 inch deep. as it grows a little bigger transplant to 5 gallon buckets.

get ready for a dissappointing first year learning experience newbie!!

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #2537397 - 04/07/04 10:26 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

If you're just looking to keep your plants alive, you won't need much light.  You could get by with any incandescent lights you have lying around your house even, but I would recommend taking zeta's advise and grabbin' a compact flouro (the twisted up flourescent lights that can fit in any standard light fixture).  A 23watt will provide plenty of light and as stated, you want to keep them as close to the plant without touching it as possible.  While they are not nearly as hot as incandescent or horticultural lights, they can burn your plant when touching directly.

If you've already started germinating the seeds, then good luck - but I would recommend springing for a mini greenhouse with peat cubes at the local nursury ($5) or better yet, some rockwool cubes (cheap, but they may make you buy a shitload at once which can get up to $10).  These products are designed to provide excellent water absorbtion coupled with the ability to dry out quickly to give the roots much needed oxygen.  During germinations you want the seeds moist, but not wet.  You also want to strive for as high a rH (relative humidity) as possible.

Let's say your seeds have germinated - if you're looking for the plant to get a foot tall, you could conceivably use a 4" small pot for this, but your plant will get root bound (which might not be a problem).  If possible I would recommend a 6" container for your plant.  You'll also want to grab some nutrients.  Nearly all nutes at garden stores are labeled like so: ##-##-##.  Look for one that has the highest # first, followed by equal or lesser values in the 2nd and 3rd positions.  For example, 30-10-10 would be good.  Wait until your plant has grown out of its seedling state and fertalize it at no greater than 50% concentration to begin with (half of the recommended dose on the instructions).

Ok, that should do it, remember to keep light on the plant for more than 12 hours a day - I'd recommend more than 14 to be safe.  When you transplant to the forest, try to ensure it doesn't get too cold at night and that it gets as much direct sunlight as possible during the day.  Depending on where you live, your plant will flower whenever environmental conditions give it the go-ahead so you may be in for a long wait.

Good luck :spliff:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Invisibleshriek

#2538308 - 04/08/04 06:18 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

when it comes to germinate cannabis seeds. all these methods are not necesarry like paper towls and hot water, cannabis seeds are extremly viable and I have always just put the seeds a inch down in the soil and kept the soil moist, and very rarly a seed wont germinate.

you can put out your plants as soon as it has developed some, .ike let it develop at least 4 leafs and not including those two round leafs all cannabis plant gets first. sativa is prolly the best plant to cultivate outdoors, 2 reasons are; sativa grows stronger outdoors and gives a more optimal yield when harvest and sativa will auto start flowerin after 8 months if you live a place where you dont have the correct natural photo period that cannabis likes.

a damp area in the forrest will work, what you need to concider is the soil. moist is good but not too moist. and you should also check how deep the soil goes. growing cannabis in a 3-4 inch layer soil with rocks under is not ideal. make sure to plant it where it gets as much sun as possible.

OfflineAudi0
have ur cake andbeat it 2
Female User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South !
    #2538352 - 04/08/04 07:06 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

My friend says that he just soaks the seeds in a shallow container of water until he sees a root-tip and then plants them in 1 gallon coffee pots about 1.5 " deep and gives a good watering. I think the key mistake most beginners make with cannibas is to over-water the seedlings. You should let it get cbone dry befoire you rewater. if the soil stays moist while they are young your plants will develop root rot and keel over before they manage to make a 3rd set of leaves. once they develope a good root system then this threat is over but while they are young it is much better to give them too little water than too much. once a week watering should be fine or a nice drink if they look like they are wilting a bit. planting in the woods is alright but you need to make sure they will be in lots of direct sun unless you want skimpy plants with airy puny buds. good luck

--------------------

OfflineShroomInhaler
No, I don'tsmoke them! :P

#2538696 - 04/08/04 10:15 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for all the replies! I'll see how it goes and update this forum post every so often.

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

#2540145 - 04/08/04 04:25 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah man, forget the moist paper towel/cotton wool method of germinating seeds, thats only good if you wanna test the viabilty of a batch. In afoafs opinion you'll only get about 20% success with that method. And the longer you leave them on the paper the more that percentage drops.

--------------------

InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
Re: Germinating and starting cannabis plant growth. [Re: zeta]
    #2541649 - 04/08/04 10:59 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Edited by TheHateCamel (12/08/07 12:29 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies