Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTheDrugStore
Shroomer

Loc: Hawaii Flag
Need ID for these mushies *PICS*
    #2533146 - 04/06/04 11:01 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I know these are no shrooms and more then likly not edible. I just wanted to know what kind of mushroom this is. Its pretty rare to see any mushrooms growing at all in southern california, specially where i live. So it was just odd to find these. Here is what i can tell you about them.

a. Habitat - Southern California... Was found just growing in a grass patch in a park.

b. Characteristics of the gills - The color of the gills are completly white. The gills arent attched.

c. Measurements of cap and stem - Stem about 3-4 inches long and about and inch thick at the base. 2 cm thick at very top potion seperated from cap.

d. Characteristics of the stem - Stem color is white. Its very thick. Feel like a cubensis stem but is much thicker and stronger. Veil is connected to about the same spot a normal cubensis muushrooms veil would be.

e. Characteristics of the cap - Cap is white as well. In the shape of a dome. Not flattened out.

f. Spore print color - I cant get spores from it, so im guessing the spores are white.

g. Color that the mushroom bruises - The mushrooms doesnt seem to bruse at all.

h. Scent of mushroom - Smells exacly like a cubensis mushroom.

*HERE ARE THE PICS*

^^ The smaller mushrooms inside the cap of the bigger mushroom. :grin:

^^ Picture of the stem with part of the veil stood up. The veil on these mushies are rather thick and are completly white.

Well there you go. Now tell me what it is.

Thanks,
TheDrugStore

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Need ID for these mushies *PICS* [Re: TheDrugStore]
    #2533180 - 04/06/04 11:17 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Is that last photo the base of a stem, with the base toward about 7 o'clock and the cap would have been toward about 1 o'clock?

The general appearance suggests that they are Agaricus. If so, they would have a dark chocolate brown colored spore print (white gills are common in immature Agaricus). If they are Agaricus, then we need to also know about their bruising reaction. Cut one in half vertically, then scrape the inside with your knife edge hard enough to bruise the tissue. Then watch for color changes. They may occur within a few minutes, but they can take up to an hour. If there are any, let us know.

If the spore print is white (and the last photo is as I asked about above) then they are Amanitas. Amanitas that are all white include most of the deadly species. Accurate identification to species requires a microscope, and often some chemical reagetns.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineTheDrugStore
Shroomer

Loc: Hawaii Flag
Re: Need ID for these mushies *PICS* [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2533212 - 04/06/04 11:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ToxicMan said:
Is that last photo the base of a stem, with the base toward about 7 o'clock and the cap would have been toward about 1 o'clock?

I dont understand that question.

Im going to do what you said and damage it a bit. Im also going to try and take a spore print of the caps.

EDIT:
I cut the stem in half and scratched it bad in the middle. Its been almost an hour and there is no sign of bruising what so ever. Also trying to take a print and it seems no spores have droped in the past hour. I will see tommorrow though.

So im guessing now this is an Amanita, is it deadly, or are only certain strains poisionous?

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

Edited by TheDrugStore (04/07/04 12:26 AM)

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
    #2557962 - 04/14/04 05:12 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

do 2 prints....one on white paper, the other on black.
also, do your prints when the shrooms are as fresh as possible.

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

OfflineThatDaltonGuy
PermanentlyFried
Loc: USA
    #2558705 - 04/14/04 12:27 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

it looks like some kind of phalloid, yes it looks poisonous, the reason u cant see the spores is because they are white, i am told all amanita spores are white! dont mess with amanitas few are edible and its not worth the risk! kick it dont pick it.

--------------------
Let me remind you that the above text is completely false and has been typed to you by an escaped mental patient and shouldn't be taken seriously unless you yourself also have a mental condition. These kind of things need to be taken into consideration by those viewing these threads.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification