Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Who Is America? (2018) | First Look | Sacha Baron Cohen SHOWTIME Series
    #25328703 - 07/15/18 09:23 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Who Is America? (2018) | First Look | Sacha Baron Cohen SHOWTIME Series

Really excited for this, he interviewed a bunch of politicians including: Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin, Bernie Sanders, Roy Moore, and at least a few others: https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/15/entertainment/who-is-america-review/index.html

Quote:

Sarah Palin, Alabama politician Roy Moore and former congressman Joe Walsh are among those who have lashed out at Cohen in advance, essentially turning themselves into ambassadors for Showtime's marketing department.

Thoughts?

:strokebeard:

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Who Is America? (2018) | First Look | Sacha Baron Cohen SHOWTIME Series [Re: musiclover420]
    #25328709 - 07/15/18 09:25 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Wow, he interviews a guy who legitimately think arming 3 year olds with guns is a good idea :uhoh:

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Who Is America? (2018) | First Look | Sacha Baron Cohen SHOWTIME Series [Re: musiclover420]
    #25328777 - 07/15/18 09:54 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Episode 1 is out on Showtime: http://www.sho.com/who-is-america/season/1/episode/1/who-is-america-101

(need to sign up to watch it though)

Will try and find it on a free streaming site later and will post it here.

--------------------

InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
    #25328820 - 07/15/18 10:17 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Wow, he interviews a guy who legitimately think arming 3 year olds with guns is a good idea :uhoh:

Not really. He (mostly) manipulates these people. Many of them are speaking up about it. Granted, they basically let it just happen to themselves, but most of it is Sacha guiding them to do stupid shit

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900024780/puppy-pistol-utah-gun-rights-activist-says-she-was-duped-by-sacha-baron-cohen.html

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Who Is America? (2018) | First Look | Sacha Baron Cohen SHOWTIME Series [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #25328834 - 07/15/18 10:25 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I_was_the_walrus said:
Quote:

musiclover420 said:

Not really. He (mostly) manipulates these people. Many of them are speaking up about it. Granted, they basically let it just happen to themselves.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900024780/puppy-pistol-utah-gun-rights-activist-says-she-was-duped-by-sacha-baron-cohen.html

Yes he duped them into interviews. That is the whole point, that article only focuses on a single person he interviewed.

Quote:

but most of it is Sacha guiding them to do stupid shit

Have you even watched the first episode? It has a republican laughing about how you "can't rape your wife", as in it's not rape because she is your wife.... Which is something they actually believe, when Trump's ex wife claimed he raped her guess what trumps lawyer said? "A husband can't rape his wfe":

LISTEN TO MICHAEL COHEN INSIST SPOUSAL RAPE ISN’T REAL WHILE DEFENDING DONALD TRUMP

Maybe Sacha "tricked"/guided some of them into the stupid shit they said but some of them clearly believe what they say. That is the whole point of tricking them to admit shit they normally wouldn't, they guy who laughed about wife rape asked if it would be edited out so he clearly knew it was a shitty thing to say at the very least.

--------------------

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

#25328838 - 07/15/18 10:26 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Also he interviewed Bernie Sanders who managed to not make a fool out of himself, funny how republicans can't seem to manage that :shrug:

--------------------

eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25328841 - 07/15/18 10:27 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Haven't seen the episode. I will eventually check it out and I invite you to read the article.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Who Is America? (2018) | First Look | Sacha Baron Cohen SHOWTIME Series [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #25328849 - 07/15/18 10:35 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I_was_the_walrus said:
Haven't seen the episode. I will eventually check it out and I invite you to read the article.

I did read most of the article, and I ask you this:

If she felt something was off, and thought what she was saying/doing was wrong, what kept her from just stopping?...

Did Sacha blackmail her? Did he drug her? Threaten violence against her?

He also asked bernie many leading questions and it threw him off but he didn't take the bait and rant about crazy shit. Can't even imagine what Sarah Palin said, clearly enough that she is worrying :lol:

Also I doubt he used the same method for every interview, the article you posted seems to focus entirely on a single person. So even if we assume he did completely goad her into it and she wouldn't normally say/do any of that, that doesn't let her off the hook completely and especially doesn't let the other guys off the hook.

It's the same thing he did in Borat, take on a role and dupe people into letting out their real views. He got sued by multiple people for that film who felt their racist/sexist portrayals were damaging (including the frat bros) and almost every lawsuit was thrown out :tongue2:

--------------------

Edited by musiclover420 (07/15/18 10:37 PM)

eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25328869 - 07/15/18 10:51 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

"He said his son had been killed by terrorists and my heart went out to him. I get this. It's personal for him."

Kind of a dick move imo.

Quote:

She said Eran towered over and was convincing, charming, pushy and funny.

Some people are easier to persuade than others :shrug:

My point being, you said "Wow, he interviews a guy who legitimately think arming 3 year olds with guns is a good idea :uhoh:", and my response was probably not. I doubt he legitimately thinks that and I'm willing to bet he duped the guy they same way he duped this chick. I'm not defending every person on the show, I haven't even seen it.

InvisiblePatrickKn
I'm a teapot

Re: Who Is America? (2018) | First Look | Sacha Baron Cohen SHOWTIME Series [Re: I_was_the_walrus] * 1
    #25328882 - 07/15/18 10:57 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I mean, his whole shtick is kind of getting them into these situations where they are caught off guard and on camera. They could have walked off, sure, but the camera and semi-professionalism of it all is part of the psychology in it all. I think it's pretty hilarious these legislators all fell for it to the degree of reading things off without vetting what they were reading, and going along with the character in agreement and stuff. If anything it kind of shows you that a lot of people in high places aren't the brightest at best, and will do just about anything to tow a perceived political line when put on the spot at worst.

Par for the course though.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Who Is America? (2018) | First Look | Sacha Baron Cohen SHOWTIME Series [Re: PatrickKn]
    #25328896 - 07/15/18 11:05 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I_was_the_walrus said:
Quote:

Quote:

"He said his son had been killed by terrorists and my heart went out to him. I get this. It's personal for him."

Kind of a dick move imo.

Quote:

She said Eran towered over and was convincing, charming, pushy and funny.

Some people are easier to persuade than others :shrug:

Sure might be considered a dick move, but she could have stopped at any point. Many of the people who he interviews have pulled way more "dick moves" like Palin/Cheney so I can't say I feel bad for them.

Quote:

My point being, you said "Wow, he interviews a guy who legitimately think arming 3 year olds with guns is a good idea :uhoh:", and my response was probably not. I doubt he legitimately thinks that and I'm willing to bet he duped the guy they same way he duped this chick. I'm not defending every person on the show, I haven't even seen it.

What evidence do you have for that? The guy seemed pretty serious up til the "gun stuffed animals bit". Assuming he got tricked into those positions is about as naive as assuming he does believe all that stuff. Personally I think it's likely he does believe most of it, and he isn't the only one.

If you watched the video you'd see when Sacha brings up the 3 year olds the Republican says "well that's pretty young, we're trying to do the same thing with 7th-8th graders" with a completely straight face :shrug:

Quote:

PatrickKn said:
I mean, his whole shtick is kind of getting them into these situations where they are caught off guard and on camera. They could have walked off, sure, but the camera and semi-professionalism of it all is part of the psychology in it all. I think it's pretty hilarious these legislators all fell for it to the degree of reading things off without vetting what they were reading, and going along with the character in agreement and stuff. If anything it kind of shows you that a lot of people in high places aren't the brightest at best, and will do just about anything to tow a perceived political line when put on the spot at worst.

Par for the course though.

I really don't think they were all reading lines, they wouldn't really be "interviews" if that was always the case. Though clearly Sacha got some of them into ridiculous scripted bits like the stuffed animal guns.

--------------------

InvisiblePatrickKn
I'm a teapot

#25328909 - 07/15/18 11:20 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

The one major tell for the reading of lines was when one of the guys being interviewed pronounced the word, 'grenadier' as grenade-er.

The interview part, yeah. Not scripted so much as a strongly guided conversation. I have no sympathy for these guys or anything. I just wouldn't put too much emphasis on what they say because of the structure. It's more a look at how easily tricked these people are than it is something you could quote as their policy.

Kind of like when TV shows ask questions of random strangers on the street and then edit all the dumb responses into a video to show how people don't know history or something. People don't wake up everyday and recite the national anthem, and if you ask 100 people who the president is you might get a dumb response thrown in the mix that can be edited.

Edited by PatrickKn (07/15/18 11:25 PM)

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Who Is America? (2018) | First Look | Sacha Baron Cohen SHOWTIME Series [Re: PatrickKn]
    #25328919 - 07/15/18 11:34 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

PatrickKn said:
The one major tell for the reading of lines was when one of the guys being interviewed pronounced the word, 'grenadier' as grenade-er.

I could easily see that going either way really, I'd wager a huge chunk of people would mispronounce grenadier. Especially old out of touch politicians.

Quote:

The interview part, yeah. Not scripted so much as a strongly guided conversation. I have no sympathy for these guys or anything. I just wouldn't put too much emphasis on what they say because of the structure. It's more a look at how easily tricked these people are than it is something you could quote as their policy.

For sure but this goes both ways too. If someone brought up giving 3 year olds guns would your response be "well that's young but we're trying to do the same thing with 7th/8th graders"? Tricked or not I don't think many people would say something like that.

We'll see as more episodes come out but if anything I bet it will be a lot of both, people being goaded into ridiculous opinions and people being tricked into sharing their normally "private" views, like the "you can't rape your wife" guy. We'll see a lot of "republican locker room talk" no doubt, like trumps "grab em by the pussy" video.

Quote:

Kind of like when TV shows ask questions of random strangers on the street and then edit all the dumb responses into a video to show how people don't know history or something. People don't wake up everyday and recite the national anthem, and if you ask 100 people who the president is you might get a dumb response thrown in the mix that can be edited.

Yeah there will be some of that surely, but there is a massive difference between interviewing random people on the street and interviewing elected politicians/officials in planned meetings :shrug: I don't think they are comparable really.

--------------------

InvisibleSARAtonin
Violent Dreams
Female User Gallery

Loc: Deutschland
Re: Who Is America? (2018) | First Look | Sacha Baron Cohen SHOWTIME Series [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #25329583 - 07/16/18 10:53 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I enjoyed the first episode, that art lady was too much.

--------------------
“The problem with the Bourgeoisie is that they’re not relatable. They can not read the room and it isn’t a good look. This should have stayed in the drafts. #tonedeaf” - Karl Marx

Want to join a cult? Click for details…

Invisiblemt cleverest
clevendafodil

Re: Who Is America? (2018) | First Look | Sacha Baron Cohen SHOWTIME Series [Re: SARAtonin] * 1
    #25329586 - 07/16/18 10:56 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I will never forgive Sacha Baron Cohen for disrespecting Ron Paul. Sacha doesn't do his homework, he has no understanding of American politics and no idea who Ron Paul even was, just that he was running as a republican therefore he deserved to be made of fool of.

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
Re: Who Is America? (2018) | First Look | Sacha Baron Cohen SHOWTIME Series [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #25329604 - 07/16/18 11:04 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I absolutely love the way he exposes people for who they truly are. Whether "dupes" them or whatever he does to "trick" them, they still make the statements they make and show their true selves, period. That Bruno ending is a classic. If not for that fence they would have been killed for sure. It doesn't matter if they lie to get interviews or any info, the people that make the statements make them, end of story. And I love it! Pure genius! Keep it up Sasha!

--------------------

Offlineicetech
 User Gallery

Loc: FSM's loving noodles.
Re: Who Is America? (2018) | First Look | Sacha Baron Cohen SHOWTIME Series [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #25329608 - 07/16/18 11:05 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Dunno.. was looking forward to it but honestly was a bit let down, i think i just have had enough of the whole ali G thing which is all this is again. I made it about half way through then passed.

--------------------

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Who Is America? (2018) | First Look | Sacha Baron Cohen SHOWTIME Series [Re: icetech]
    #25329737 - 07/16/18 11:58 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mt cleverest said:
I will never forgive Sacha Baron Cohen for disrespecting Ron Paul. Sacha doesn't do his homework, he has no understanding of American politics and no idea who Ron Paul even was, just that he was running as a republican therefore he deserved to be made of fool of.

How did he disrespect him exactly? Also he has interviewed more then just republicans, though they are pretty obvious targets for comedy. But you know what they say, elect a clown and get a circus :lol:

Quote:

icetech said:
Dunno.. was looking forward to it but honestly was a bit let down, i think i just have had enough of the whole ali G thing which is all this is again. I made it about half way through then passed.

Haven't watched Ali G in years but re watching Borat made me really excited for this :tongue2:

Watching the inevitable backlash followed by lawsuits from butt hurt politicians will also be hilarious, though the backlash has already started.

--------------------

Offlineicetech
 User Gallery

Loc: FSM's loving noodles.
    #25329743 - 07/16/18 12:00 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Quote:

mt cleverest said:

How did he disrespect him exactly? Also he has interviewed more then just republicans, though they are pretty obvious targets for comedy. But you know what they say, elect a clown and get a circus :lol:

Quote:

icetech said:

Haven't watched Ali G in years but re watching Borat made me really excited for this :tongue2:

Watching the inevitable backlash followed by lawsuits from butt hurt politicians will also be hilarious, though the backlash has already started.

I actually find the backlash WAY better than the show itself :smile: I found borat annoying more than funny.

One thing i did like is when he made that evil prick sanders go WTF talking about moving the 99% into the 1% thus fixing the issue :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleSARAtonin
Violent Dreams
Female User Gallery

Loc: Deutschland
Re: Who Is America? (2018) | First Look | Sacha Baron Cohen SHOWTIME Series [Re: mt cleverest]
    #25329790 - 07/16/18 12:20 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mt cleverest said:

A cop, a klansmen, and a librarian walk into a bar...

He sits down and orders a drink.

--------------------
“The problem with the Bourgeoisie is that they’re not relatable. They can not read the room and it isn’t a good look. This should have stayed in the drafts. #tonedeaf” - Karl Marx

Want to join a cult? Click for details…

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom