Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHanibalHands
Stranger

Can someone help give me an idea of whats going on?
    #25328521 - 07/15/18 07:55 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I have asked around but i usually only get like one or two replies i would really like to know if these are going to pin its been a little bit over 3 weeks now and no pinning do these cakes look dead should i redunk the two in the sgfc? How is my one cake looking in the single fruiting chamber? This is my first time i dont want to mess up all my work so far.

Here is a video of the cakes

Thank you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedont trust midgets
your HIGHness
I'm a teapot

Re: Can someone help give me an idea of whats going on? [Re: HanibalHands]
    #25328541 - 07/15/18 08:03 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

What are your misting habits? Your cakes look okay to me, just bruised. What are the temps like in the room? Do they have a sour smell?

--------------------
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

OfflineHanibalHands
Stranger

Re: Can someone help give me an idea of whats going on? [Re: dont trust midgets]
    #25328559 - 07/15/18 08:08 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

dont trust midgets said:
What are your misting habits? Your cakes look okay to me, just bruised. What are the temps like in the room? Do they have a sour smell?

The smell is normal to me, but i mist probably like 5 to 6 times on the cakes through out the day i let the mist fall onto them. I feel this isnt enough water for them im afraid im dehydrating them. I mist the perlite and the walls of the sgfc more than 5 to 6 times though. I try to keep it wet in there. The single cake was redunked and i havent misted it since it was redunked which was like two days ago.

your HIGHness
I'm a teapot

#25328583 - 07/15/18 08:21 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

You might be misting too much. The cakes need to dry out in order for pins to form. It is the evaporation of water that causes pins to form. I would try not misting for a couple days and see what happens. Your cakes should only need dunked between flushes. If they have not flushed then i doubt they need dunked again. What temperature is it in your grow room?

--------------------

Edited by dont trust midgets (07/15/18 08:22 PM)

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can someone help give me an idea of whats going on? [Re: dont trust midgets]
    #25328588 - 07/15/18 08:23 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I disagree. I think they are too dry. You need to Mist them directly and get them wet and then let that wetness evaporate. The whole 'misting into the air for it to fall down' isn't gonna cover them enough.

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

OfflineVroomerMcZoomers
"This user is a dumbass"
 User Gallery

#25328596 - 07/15/18 08:26 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Im not sure what's wrong.  Ive seen that before though...the way that myc looks...like it's been smoothed over somehow and that blueing...I hope someone chimes in who can explain it.  Id really like to know too. 

If it was me Id be thinking of deep scratching...is that still a thing?  Like, that outer layer of myc just ain't happy.

What kind of jar did you use to get such big cakes?  If I had to guess Id say quart sealers that you smashed to get the cake out.  I did that once...

--------------------

Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.  -Noam Chomsky

Edited by VroomerMcZoomers (07/15/18 08:28 PM)

OfflineHanibalHands
Stranger

#25328598 - 07/15/18 08:27 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

dont trust midgets said:
You might be misting too much. The cakes need to dry out in order for pins to form. It is the evaporation of water that causes pins to form. I would try not misting for a couple days and see what happens. Your cakes should only need dunked between flushes. If they have not flushed then i doubt they need dunked again. What temperature is it in your grow room?

I live in a naturally dry area so i assumed i had to mist that much to keep up with the low humidity levels. So should i keep misting the walls and the perlite Just not the cakes right?  It stay around 77 to like 85 i dont have a hygrometer.

OfflineHanibalHands
Stranger

Re: Can someone help give me an idea of whats going on? [Re: VroomerMcZoomers]
    #25328605 - 07/15/18 08:29 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

VroomerMcZoomers said:
Im not sure what's wrong.  Ive seen that before though...the way that myc looks...like it's been smoothed over somehow and that blueing...I hope someone chimes in who can explain it.  Id really like to know too.

What kind of jar did you use to get such big cakes?  If I had to guess Id say quart sealers that you smashed to get the cake out.  I did that once...

1/2 pint jars i beleive i dont remember what i went with. They colonized pretty good too the colouring didnt come until after a week or two in the sgfc.

OfflineHanibalHands
Stranger

Re: Can someone help give me an idea of whats going on? [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #25328608 - 07/15/18 08:30 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:
I disagree. I think they are too dry. You need to Mist them directly and get them wet and then let that wetness evaporate. The whole 'misting into the air for it to fall down' isn't gonna cover them enough.

I have read that direct misting could damage the myc as this is my first grow when someone says damage and doesnt give to much detail other than that id assume its something i dont want to do.

OfflineVroomerMcZoomers
"This user is a dumbass"
 User Gallery

#25328611 - 07/15/18 08:31 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

You should directly mist those cakes especially if you are in a dry climate.  Fine mist does not harm myc, and evaporation is a pinning trigger. 

You get a lot of conflicting advice on these boards.  Im into misting, some aren't.  I have yet to figure out why this is. 

My working theory in the quest to get this process perfected is to keep my ears open, try everything including my own ideas, and stick with what works for me.

--------------------

Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.  -Noam Chomsky

Edited by VroomerMcZoomers (07/15/18 08:35 PM)

OfflineHanibalHands
Stranger

#25328613 - 07/15/18 08:33 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

VroomerMcZoomers said:
You should directly mist those cakes especially if you are in a dry climate.

Ok i will start doing that, should i redunk these two tonight? And what about my cake all by itself how is that one looking? Is the mycelium supposed to look more like the one in the single fruiting chamber?

Edited by HanibalHands (07/15/18 08:33 PM)

your HIGHness
I'm a teapot

#25328634 - 07/15/18 08:42 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah you need to mist cakes directly. Elastictiger may be correct about them being too dry. I am always wary of people over misting cakes though because I did when I first starting doing cakes and they got incredibly bruised and then fell to bacteria that weakened them until they were killed by trich. And 77-85 is definitely on the hot side.  I would be turning on the AC.

--------------------

OfflineHanibalHands
Stranger

#25328642 - 07/15/18 08:46 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

dont trust midgets said:
Yeah you need to mist cakes directly. Elastictiger may be correct about them being too dry. I am always wary of people over misting cakes though because I did when I first starting doing cakes and they got incredibly bruised and then fell to bacteria that weakened them until they were killed by trich. And 77-85 is definitely on the hot side.  I would be turning on the AC.

Ok i will see what that does for me then. And the AC is on i live in the desert so its just naturally hot and the air is dry.
Its what i got to work with atm.

OfflineVroomerMcZoomers
"This user is a dumbass"
 User Gallery

#25328648 - 07/15/18 08:49 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I would dunk those bad boys.  Sounds like the diagnoses here is shaping up to be dryness.

I think the way they look now, they will never fruit, and you've got to do something.

--------------------

OfflineMush Hunter
Imaginary friend
 User Gallery

Loc: The depths of your imagin...
    #25328650 - 07/15/18 08:49 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Is your SGFC directly on the floor? It should be raised at least a few inches to allow airflow as you should have holes on all six sides. If it is directly on the floor you are impeading FAE. Also they look dry and bruised! They should be glistening with moisture, beads of water...

Quote:

VroomerMcZoomers said:
I would dunk those bad boys.

:whathesaid:

--------------------
All mushrooms are edible, some just once in a lifetime!

Be down-to-earth ~ Sprout new ideas ~ Keep a low profile ~ Know when to show up ~ Stay well-rounded ~ Start from the ground up ~ Be a fun-guy!

Edited by Mush Hunter (07/15/18 08:51 PM)

OfflineHanibalHands
Stranger

Re: Can someone help give me an idea of whats going on? [Re: Mush Hunter]
    #25328657 - 07/15/18 08:53 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

dont trust midgets said:

Ok i will see what that does for me then. And the AC is on i live in the desert
Quote:

Mush Hunter said:
Is your SGFC directly on the floor? It should be raised at least a few inches to allow airflow as you should have holes on all six sides. If it is directly on the floor you are impeading FAE. Also they look dry and bruised! They should be glistening with moisture, beads of water...

Quote:

VroomerMcZoomers said:
I would dunk those bad boys.

:whathesaid:

Its a normal sgfc holes on all 6 sides its being lifted off the ground with some jars .

OfflineHanibalHands
Stranger

#25328660 - 07/15/18 08:54 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

VroomerMcZoomers said:
I would dunk those bad boys.  Sounds like the diagnoses here is shaping up to be dryness.

I think the way they look now, they will never fruit, and you've got to do something.

Do you think i should move them to their own single fruiting chamber after the redunk like my other one? Hows the one by itself looking? Maybe my sgfc is to big for only two cakes? Should i just stick with the sgfc?

Edited by HanibalHands (07/15/18 08:55 PM)

OfflineVroomerMcZoomers
"This user is a dumbass"
 User Gallery

Re: Can someone help give me an idea of whats going on? [Re: Mush Hunter]
    #25328668 - 07/15/18 09:00 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Im questioning the wisdom of using a fruiting chamber that's full of holes when you are in the desert.  That moisture just gonna get sucked away quick.

I would consider trying a more traditional fruiting chamber (holeless), and exchanging the air the old fashioned way...fanning manually or some automated method, but letting the cakes remain in a maximum humid environment in the between time.

--------------------

your HIGHness
I'm a teapot

#25328681 - 07/15/18 09:04 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Mush hunter has posted an excellent picture of how they should look after being misted. Beading is what you want to go for not soaking wet. Go ahead and dunk them again, since you live in the desert i would bet they are right about them being dry.

On a side note, can someone please explain how you tell the difference between cakes that are too dry vs too wet? I have had waterlogged cakes that everyone said were too dry but turned out to be the opposite.

--------------------

OfflineHanibalHands
Stranger

#25328702 - 07/15/18 09:23 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

VroomerMcZoomers said:
Im questioning the wisdom of using a fruiting chamber that's full of holes when you are in the desert.  That moisture just gonna get sucked away quick.

I would consider trying a more traditional fruiting chamber (holeless), and exchanging the air the old fashioned way...fanning manually or some automated method, but letting the cakes remain in a maximum humid environment in the between time.

Thank you i will give that a try and see what happens i got another batch colonizing in my closet do you think maybe invirto grow would be best for them?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies