Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Moe's Outdoor Method
    #2532727 - 04/06/04 09:03 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hey there guys...

I was thinking of putting my own twist on this method, with cleanliness and bulk in mind...give me some feedback if you will.

As opposed to digging a hole in the ground, I was considering getting a very large plastic pot. It would be of the size to accomodate a small tree...maybe three feet tall by three feet wide at its widest point...maybe bigger, maybe smaller...not of huge concern. I suppose it would depend most on the amount of cakes you would be using initially.

In any case, I was thinking of putting a layer of wet pearlite on the bottom of the pot. This is for two reasons. One, so the substrate isnt in direct contact with the ground, and two, to hold an extra resovour of water. Into the center of the pot would be placed a wooden dowel that sticks above the rim of the pot about a foot or so (more on this later). The substrate and compost would then be put around the dowel, thus supporting it. I would follow Moe's method of layering, using hay and compost..then a second layer of substrate, then the final layers.

I would have the plot ready to go at this point. Then I would drape a clear, heavy plastic sheet over the dowel and pot, forming a humidity tent of sorts. I would put a couple slits in the plastic here and there so as to encourage a bit of air flow. Every other day or so the plot would be visited, aired out, and watered if required.

I had some questions...could a mixture of high mountain compost and coconut coir be substituted for the dung that Moe suggests? Has anyone ever used high mountain, and is it worth it? About how much volume is 20 lbs. of compost??? Where would you suggest getting ahold of hay, and what would be a recommended variety to look for? Could vermiculite or coir (or a mix) be used as a substitute for hay in this instance?

Finally, does it matter how deep the substrate layer is? My friend is dealing with a lot of cakes and the substrate layer may be deep..his concern is that they would grow out the sides of the plot as opposed to out the top. Also, if the substrate layer is deep, should the dung and top layers be proportioinally deep?

Thanks for your time and any input.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
hamburger time
 User Gallery

Loc: 53rd & 3rd
Re: Moe's Outdoor Method [Re: fluff_master]
    #2532799 - 04/06/04 09:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Basically you seem to be talking about a massive casing. The hay is needed for nutrients, not just for a substrate, though. Also, I don't quite understand the purpose of the dowels.

"Yeah, he's a professor...... OF BEING A DOG!"

Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #2532908 - 04/06/04 09:51 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

this sounds good
you could just put the plastic on top ,the shrooms will just push it up

Good Luck  :mushroom2: :crazy2:

Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

Re: Moe's Outdoor Method [Re: KaptKid]
    #2533100 - 04/06/04 10:45 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i would use vermiculite instead of perlite. holds water much better.

President of theUnited States

#2533125 - 04/06/04 10:51 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

and doesnt perlite have some other chemicals in it, too?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation