Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinephi1618
old hand

HR 3907; HR 3922 : drugged driving
    #2532693 - 04/06/04 08:52 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

HR 3907 (introduced mar. 4, 2004) would reduce funding to states who do not pass mandatory minimum laws making it a felony to drive with any amount of illegal drug or metabolite in your system.

Pot smokers: this means you.

You can see the bill here:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:H.R.3907:

You can keep an eye on it's progess through the House here:
http://capwiz.com/norml2/issues/bills/?bill=5384616&size=full

HR 3922 (introduced mar. 9, 2004) demands that states criminalize driving "while any detectable amount of a controlled substance is present in the person's body, as measured in the person's blood, urine, saliva, or other bodily substance."

Potsmokers - This means you.

You can see the bill here:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:H.R.3922:

and its progress here:
http://capwiz.com/norml2/issues/bills/?bill=5384691&size=full

Here is a letter you can copy (or use as template) and send to your representatives:
"borrowed" from http://capwiz.com/usatoday/bio/userletter/?letter_id=78421736&content_dir=congressorg

I urge you to reject a pair of bills that have recently been proposed to identify and prosecute drivers who operate a motor vehicle impaired by marijuana and other illicit and licit drugs. We all support the goal of keeping impaired drivers off the road, regardless of whether the driver is impaired from alcohol or other drugs. However, these proposals are poorly drafted, and would unfairly define as "impaired" an individual who had not smoked marijuana for several days, long after any intoxicating effects had worn off. These bills would criminally punish someone for "drugged driving" simply if inactive marijuana metabolites (i.e., inert compounds indicative of past drug use) are detected in their bodily fluids - even if the individual is neither under the influence nor impaired to drive.

H.R. 3907, sponsored by Rep. Jon Porter (R-NV), would withhold federal highway funds from states that do not amend their DUID (driving under the influence of drugs) laws to enact mandatory minimum penalties for anyone convicted of driving under the influence of illegal drugs. This proposal is an unnecessary and unfunded federal mandate.

Virtually all states already have DUID statutes on the books. Most are "effect-based" laws that forbid drivers to operate a motor vehicle if they are either "under the influence" of a controlled substance, or if they have been rendered "incapable of driving safely" because of their use of an illicit drug. This is a multidisciplinary standard that rightly punishes motorists who drive while impaired from having recently used illicit drugs. There is no need for additional legislation.

H.R. 3922, sponsored by Reps. Robert Portman (R-OH), Sander Levin (D-MI), Steven LaTourette (R-OH), Mark Souder (R-IN) and Jim Ramstad (R-MN), seeks to impose so-called "model" DUID legislation upon all 50 states - demanding they enact statutes sanctioning anyone who operates a motor vehicle "while any detectable amount of a controlled substance is present in the person's body, as measured in the person's blood, urine, saliva, or other bodily substance."

While driving impaired by marijuana or other illicit and licit drugs is never acceptable, neither is it acceptable to treat sober drivers as if they are impaired simply because they have trace levels of inactive marijuana metabolites in their bodily fluids. Because inactive marijuana metabolites remain detectable in the blood, and particularly urine, for days and sometimes weeks after past use, recreational marijuana smokers stand to be unfairly and disproportionately punished by this legislation. Someone who smokes marijuana is impaired as a driver at most for a few hours; certainly not for days or weeks. To treat all marijuana smokers as if they are impaired, even when the drug has long worn off, is illogical and unfair.

At a minimum, laws targeting drugged drivers should identify "parent drugs" (i.e., THC), not simply drug metabolites, and include scientifically sound cut-off levels similar to those that exist for drunk driving. "Zero tolerance" per se laws like H.R. 3922 are neither a safe nor sensible way to identify impaired drivers; they are an attempt to misuse the traffic safety laws in order to identify and prosecute marijuana smokers per se.

While driving under the influence of illicit and licit substances is obviously a serious problem, these proposals neither address the problem nor offer a legitimate solution. Therefore, I urge you to vote against H.R. 3907 and H.R. 3922.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
Re: HR 3907; HR 3922 : drugged driving [Re: phi1618]
    #2532715 - 04/06/04 09:00 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Who thinks this ridiculous stuff up? This will never pass though. But if it does, I'm immediately moving to Canada because America is quickly becoming a police state.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2532716 - 04/06/04 09:00 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I predicted this over a year ago. If this one makes it through it will be the big one! It would effectively mean manditory drug testing for all US citizens with harsh penalties for failing or refusing.

I wonder if this will include alcohol and DMT metabolites. :smirk:

--------------------

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#2532745 - 04/06/04 09:07 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

If you don't know how to contact your representative (off hand), look here:
http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion