Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Hygrometer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecapn
Stranger
second flush help request - 1 wk post-harvest, side pins growing more than others
    #25279143 - 06/19/18 06:03 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

First flush of Golden Teachers was collected from my first (unmodified) 6 qt shoebox grow a week ago. Spawn was 3 BRF cakes into CVG. While those fruits were shorter than I expected, 3" or so, there were only a few tiny side pins in one corner.

Started harvest with a scalpel but quickly changed to twist & pull. This left a few dents in the substrate but I was careful to pull as little extra out as I could. Left the small pins there. Some had little tiny dark spots from misting but none turned black or otherwise seemed to resemble aborts people have described in other threads here. 

After harvesting I poured some water in the sides of the tub, not up to the top but close, and left the substrate soaking for 15-20 minutes before tilting the tub and pouring the extra water out. In the first flush the shorter fruits made me suspect that the substrate was too dry, but I am pretty sure it got enough water this time.

One week has passed now and the little pins on the surface may have grown some but some seem like mycelium is growing from them again. Like fuzzy feet.  Was I supposed to let it re-colonize? My understanding of what I read was that fruiting picks up where it left off without any temperature shocking or recolonizing phase needed, but if I was wrong on that that would explain it. 

And unlike before, there are now two or three plumes of side pins growing up from the underside of the tub.

The tub has gotten much more FAE and less misting than it did during the first flush.

Maybe I was overly ambitious trying an unmodified shoebox as my first grow, but now that I have, I'd love to know how to steer this thing through a second flush.

What I don't understand is how to parse all the different indicators.

Fuzzy feet = insufficient FAE, but it's gotten a lot of FAE.

Side pins = good conditions along the sides of the tub, which means more moisture, but the substrate has more moisture than it did before... unless all the FAE is drying it too much? 

I know hygrometers are useless and hadn't bothered using one before, but I did put one on the wall of the tub near the substrate surface and it usually shows 99% when the lid is on and 88%-91% after fanning or when I leave the lid off for a spell.

Anyway, now I know why unmodified tubs aren't really recommended for beginners, but that's what I have, so any tips on how to understand what my crop needs would be gratefully received.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: second flush help request - 1 wk post-harvest, side pins growing more than others [Re: capn]
    #25279192 - 06/19/18 06:26 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Conditions on the sides were better than the top is all it sounds like to me. What ever you were doing for the first flush, it liked better. More FAE and less misting probably made it too dry. Practice will go a long way to getting dialed in right.

Cutting stumps and left behind pins always fuzz over, it's not fuzzy feet.

Offlinecapn
Stranger
Re: second flush help request - 1 wk post-harvest, side pins growing more than others [Re: LtLurker]
    #25280238 - 06/20/18 05:59 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks.

After such a fast growth cycle the first time, one week seems long to wait, but I'm probably just impatient since this is my first project. At what point should I give up on a 2nd flush, two weeks?

InvisibleShroomyToons
Be Calm and Grow On
 User Gallery

Loc: Rebel Flag Flag
Re: second flush help request - 1 wk post-harvest, side pins growing more than others [Re: capn]
    #25280289 - 06/20/18 07:16 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

It can take 2 weeks for a second flush.

Sounds like your surface conditions are/were too dry and that is likely why you have side pins. IME, actually dunking will usually allow the myc to recover and fruit a little faster than the water pouring method.

Most cubes can have a little fuzz on their on their feet, but having a lot shows an actual problem with FAE.

Unmodded tubs can be more difficult to manage, for sure. I personally like the ohmatic style and I also like liners. But lots of people have great results with no liners and unmodded tubs.

To be fair, I only tried it once early on in growing, and it was just too messy for my tastes, don't let that dissuade you. Also, don't be afraid to go ahead and mod the tub if you feel like that will help you get better results. It isn't like it's right or wrong to do it one way or the other.

--------------------

"Never miss a good chance to shut up"
                Best advice ever...in this hobby

Offlinecapn
Stranger
Re: second flush help request - 1 wk post-harvest, side pins growing more than others [Re: ShroomyToons]
    #25291485 - 06/25/18 08:06 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks. Start of second flush was exactly two weeks after the first ended.

Now I am curious whether there's ever a good reason not to try for a 3rd flush. Does everyone just keep fruiting until contams take over, or is it sometimes better just to compost an old substrate to keep from having to deal with trich?

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
    #25291617 - 06/25/18 09:22 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Judgement call I guess. If it's a decent flush, looks healthy, and I don't need the tub for the next set of jars; I'll let it go for another.

OfflineZOMan
illegally insane
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Tx Flag
    #25291717 - 06/25/18 10:17 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

:whathesaid:

InvisibleShroomyToons
Be Calm and Grow On
 User Gallery

Re: second flush help request - 1 wk post-harvest, side pins growing more than others [Re: ZOMan]
    #25291771 - 06/25/18 10:46 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

:whathesaid: again....:smile:

--------------------

Offlinecapn
Stranger
Re: second flush help request - 1 wk post-harvest, side pins growing more than others [Re: ShroomyToons]
    #25293103 - 06/26/18 03:45 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks.

Due to the side pins, I floated the entire tub's worth of substrate up and put it into a larger tub so it's more like a cake now sitting as a 6-qt island slightly elevated in the middle of a 14-qt tub. There was no way I was going to try to harvest those fruits stretching up from the sides as they were.

Offlinecapn
Stranger
    #25320952 - 07/11/18 07:13 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Good news is that the third flush was just harvested and was bigger than the first two with no visible contamination yet. 

Bad news is that I was away and didn't harvest in time, so it was SPORESPLOSION 2018 in there.

Should I try for a fourth flush or will the spores cause too many problems?

InvisibleShroomyToons
Be Calm and Grow On
 User Gallery

#25321321 - 07/11/18 10:20 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

All I can say is to go with your gut. I have only ever done one tub for five flushes, and it was just an experiment. I was in knockdown mode. lol.

I'll usually do two, but don't usually push for three...So, call it like you see it!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Hygrometer

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started