Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar   Amazon Agar, HEPA Filter, Malt Extract, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineburtburls
MycoAgroforestry
I'm a teapot

Identifying White Mold or Mycelium in agar plates *PICS*
    #25321205 - 07/11/18 09:03 PM (4 months, 1 day ago)

Long time lurker, first time trying to make a post that will hopefully shed some light on an issue I've found quite difficult to master. Quite commonly I get fluffy/tomentose mycelium growing in tufts on an otherwise rhizomorphic plate, and I've never been quite sure if its some sort of white mold or just a patch of different genetics.

I've had two hypothesis that don't involve errors in sterile tek. One is that there seems to be a slight relationship between the depth of pour in an agar plate and how rhizo/tomentose the mycelium grows. Another thought I have is I only use Antibiotic Malt Extract Agar from Fungi Perfecti, and I never use regular MEA. I received plates on MEA from a friend with no tufts of "tomentose" patches, and transferred them to my AMEA plates and saw a lot of tufts. Makes me wonder if the antibiotics effect the way the mycelium grows on the plate.

Anyways, here are some pictures of the phenomenon I'm talking about. Maybe someone here can tell me if I'm dealing with serious mold piggybacking on my plates, or if there is a more benign explanation I'd love to hear it.

First picture is a normal rhizomorphic BCPE plate with no aerial/tomentose/mold(ATM):

Here are two pictures transferred from a plate with no (ATM) that now are showing tufts. I am especially concerned about the fuzziness emanating from the center wedge I transferred with:

And here is a picture of a transfer from MS I've been working on that shows rhizo and what I fear to be a contam:

Finally a Kho Samui transfer that is showing a lot of aerial mycelium and almost a powdery looking leading edge:

If anyone has any experience with white molds, or can shed some light on this issue please do. Love you forever.

--------------------
the universe is in you
theres universes in you

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCaps McGeeS
High dose exhibitionist
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Out there man! Flag
Re: Identifying White Mold or Mycelium in agar plates *PICS* [Re: burtburls]
    #25321335 - 07/11/18 10:27 PM (4 months, 1 day ago)

Are you using h2o2 in your agar? Last picture looks like "burn" second seems like mold,but could be tomentose if your transfer slid or something... otherwise, it appears to have originated far from the desired fungus, and would indicate contamination... tufts can indicate bacteria, but again, could be tomentose... any transfers taken from these plates?

--------------------

"Only to the extent that we expose ourselves over and over to annihilation can that which is indestructible in us be found."
~Pema Chödrön~

Ask Caps! (My Q&A Thread)

Offlineburtburls
MycoAgroforestry
I'm a teapot

Re: Identifying White Mold or Mycelium in agar plates *PICS* [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25321409 - 07/11/18 11:13 PM (4 months, 1 day ago)

No, there is no h202, just the standard Antibiotic MEA that Fungi Perfecti sells. I don't know what "burn" is, I do know that the Koh Samui strain was distinctly more tomentose than the others though. On the second to last picture I'm pretty sure the agar piece rolled across the plate as I tried to flip it with my scalpel which makes me wonder whether these are satellite colonies or not. And yes, transfers were taken and the fuzzy super loose cotton ball like growth was definitely very present on the transfer plates.

--------------------
the universe is in you
theres universes in you

OfflineJabensis
Daddy
 User Gallery

Loc: Copperhead Road
    #25321455 - 07/11/18 11:41 PM (4 months, 1 day ago)

Nice agar work Burt
Looks like you have a decent handle of agar propagation.
Crazy how I been learning for year and never heard of the term tomentose... and trust me, I’ve read a ton, been on here a ton, practiced plenty.  Just never ran across it I guess.  Thanks for making me search for it... always a silver lining.
Who coined that term btw... I should add their book to my collection.
Anyway, as stated... looks like you dragged a piece of myc in the *b nocced in 7/4.
Next pic just looks like it’s just dense myc... OR maybe it’s just a bacterial contams... same agar recipe as the previous Xfer plate?
Could be that you just had a laytent contam hidden in the myc... the myc in my sig suffered that fate.
I think you have a good recovery plan.
Why not just toss it?.... jw

--------------------
J

Offlineburtburls
MycoAgroforestry
I'm a teapot

Re: Identifying White Mold or Mycelium in agar plates *PICS* [Re: Jabensis]
    #25322533 - 07/12/18 05:21 PM (4 months, 1 day ago)

Thanks for the compliments Ja! Much appreciated. I'm pretty sure the first time I came across tomentose was in The Mushroom Cultivator by Paul Stamets. It's weird how when you learn a new word you see it everywhere, our brain has a powerful filter!

Every plate is the same agar recipe, Antibiotic Malt Extract Agar from Fungi Perfecti.

I am tossing all these plates, and I have been for a while. However, I'm doing it out of ignorance. I could be throwing away plenty of perfectly good plates, and if there is something wrong with my technique that is causing these latent contaminations I want to figure it out and correct the problem. The tricky thing it has never turned green or visibly sporulated on the plate.

In your sig I just see a little bit of fuzziness in the center. Was this the culprit? Also, if anyone has information on depth of pour, as well as antibiotic agar causing mycelium to react this way would be helpful. I will try and post more pictures.

--------------------
the universe is in you
theres universes in you

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25323430 - 07/13/18 05:07 AM (4 months, 14 hours ago)

Aerial mycelium sometimes grows on the agar chunks while the outgrowth is linear for some reason. The difference might be from the kind of agar or shape of the wedge, or even the amount of gas exchange the plate allows. The fourth pic looks like it dragged across the surface a bit creating those aerial colonies. I don't know what's up with that last one but it seems unlikely to be a contaminant mold, especially if it remains white over several days.

--------------------

OfflineJabensis
Daddy
 User Gallery

Loc: Copperhead Road
    #25325704 - 07/14/18 12:39 PM (3 months, 30 days ago)

Quote:

burtburls said:
Thanks for the compliments Ja!

No problem, Burt

Quote:

Every plate is the same agar recipe, Antibiotic Malt Extract Agar from Fungi Perfecti.

It’s lrobably not the agar then... Perfecti is a reputable supplier.

Quote:

...I'm doing it out of ignorance. I could be throwing away plenty of perfectly good plates, and if there is something wrong with my technique that is causing these latent contaminations I want to figure it out and correct the problem.

Conduct an experiment.. go through the same motions of inoculation with a virgin olate, but don’t actually drop anything.  Clean it, open it, hold the plate in your gloves hand, expose it to the working environment but then just close it back up and treat it like a regular plate.  Monitor it to see if anything grows.  If something does, then you’ll know it’s your technique and not your sample.  Eliminate variables... know what I’m saying?

Btw, is your work done in a SAB or in front of a HEPA?
I always did my clean work in the HEPA air, but any new tissue work was done in a SAB just in case there were contams present... didn’t want to send potential contams flying everywhere.

Quote:

In your sig I just see a little bit of fuzziness in the center. Was this the culprit?

I don’t think my fuzz was the culprit, nor an expression of a contam... I think that’s just aerial mycelium ...  I took the tissue from the leading edge which was growing like crazy... then when dropped into the plate, I think it wanted to keep growing but didn’t yet have a footing in the surrounding agar... so went straight up.

The contams in my sig plate showed up as little blue dots later on in the culturing.  However if I remember correctly, that tissue then went on to produce twice flushing tubs...  so Maybe it was never a contam?  Idk.  I have to think so as it was blue dots in a ring around the dropped mother tissue.

OfflineCaps McGeeS
High dose exhibitionist
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Out there man! Flag
Re: Identifying White Mold or Mycelium in agar plates *PICS* [Re: Jabensis]
    #25326433 - 07/14/18 07:57 PM (3 months, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Jabensis said:

The contams in my sig plate showed up as little blue dots later on in the culturing. 

How old was the culture? Are you certain it wasn't bruising from the agar drying out?

--------------------

"Only to the extent that we expose ourselves over and over to annihilation can that which is indestructible in us be found."
~Pema Chödrön~

Ask Caps! (My Q&A Thread)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar   Amazon Agar, HEPA Filter, Malt Extract, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation