Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshroomology702
Stranger
 User Gallery

First grain jars from agar transfers. Is this contaminated?
    #25320787 - 07/11/18 03:20 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Hello to the awesome community of Shroomery!  Hoping you guys can help me out with my concern...

This is my first colonized Rye grain jar. Transfer from what looked like a very healthy and clean agar plate. It took a while for the Myc to jump of the agar wedge and onto the grain. But once it did growth exploded.

Anyway there seem to be some sections with shades of gray and yellow they are barely visible or noticeable. Is that contamination?  I was planning on transferring g2g from this jar. What do you guys think. Any feedback is welcome and thanks in advance for your advice! 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTheMadHatter420
Trusted Farmer

Re: First grain jars from agar transfers. Is this contaminated? [Re: shroomology702]
    #25320957 - 07/11/18 05:14 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I would shake it and if it has good recovery within 24 hours, then G2G, just don't stretch it to thin. You might have a little bacteria in there, but its not that much and it should be just fine doing G2G. I would do it and pull off at least 1 flush.

--------------------
JOIN THE POW WOW

Offlineshroomology702
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First grain jars from agar transfers. Is this contaminated? [Re: TheMadHatter420]
    #25323134 - 07/12/18 09:15 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

TheMadHatter420 said:
I would shake it and if it has good recovery within 24 hours, then G2G, just don't stretch it to thin. You might have a little bacteria in there, but its not that much and it should be just fine doing G2G. I would do it and pull off at least 1 flush.

Thanks for your reply MadH!  So I followed your advice and gave them a quick shake. Once the myc broke up, there were some clumps of grain stuck together with a thick white substance. Didn’t look like myc. These grains would not break up.

I’m guessing at this point it’s contamination for sure. Can anyone tell me if it is and what type of contam it is?  I’m really enjoying the process of working with this stuff and want to learn everything I can. . Never knew the wonders of this unique marvelous organism!  This forum has been my daily reading material for almost a year now. Anyway thanks in advance for your help!!!
Peace homies!

OfflineThesunbeam
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: First grain jars from agar transfers. Is this contaminated? [Re: shroomology702]
    #25323149 - 07/12/18 09:27 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Looks clean, use it for what every you want.

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: ally known as ... Flag
Re: First grain jars from agar transfers. Is this contaminated? [Re: Thesunbeam]
    #25323198 - 07/12/18 10:14 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

They'll break up: use a bicycle tire, or padded carpet to smack the side... I just use my hand, opened and cupped

--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Ask Caps! (My Q&A Thread)
Caps' Comprehensive Cultivation Tek List

Offlineshroomology702
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25323392 - 07/13/18 01:59 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks sunbeam and caps. I’ll take your word for it. If they regrow after being shaken I will spawn to bulk. Hopefully I’m wrong that the white clumps are some type of contam.  It just doesn’t look like myc from my very limited experience.

Any other opinions?

Offlineshroomology702
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First grain jars from agar transfers. Is this contaminated? [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25323399 - 07/13/18 02:15 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks sunbeam and Caps!  I did hit them on a thick padded foam workout tile. I’ll try to break it up on a tire tomorrow AM.

My bigger concern is contamination.  It looks like a very thick and dense substance. Not at all like myc I’ve seen in my very little time of messing with Rye grain and Agar. If I break it up will it just spread and grow throughout the jar? 

Is there any way to know if I should spawn to bulk of cut my losses and discard?

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25323638 - 07/13/18 07:48 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

shroomology702 said:
Thanks sunbeam and Caps!  I did hit them on a thick padded foam workout tile. I’ll try to break it up on a tire tomorrow AM.

My bigger concern is contamination.  It looks like a very thick and dense substance. Not at all like myc I’ve seen in my very little time of messing with Rye grain and Agar. If I break it up will it just spread and grow throughout the jar? 

Is there any way to know if I should spawn to bulk of cut my losses and discard?

Looks normal to me... may have overcooked your grain and caused it a bit starchy... the mycelium in these clumps will look nasty  (thick, pasty almost) and won't exhibit the fluffy look until after recuperation

--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Offlineshroomology702
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First grain jars from agar transfers. Is this contaminated? [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25325208 - 07/14/18 12:35 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds good, Caps.  Myc seems to be recovering good after last shake. You may be right that i over cooked some grain. I’m still adjusting my process. So far had better luck no popping grain with the ROGER rabbit  grain prep video.  Still making adjustments.

Anyway, once grains re over I’ll spawn to coir/Poo/verm/gypsum. Appreciate your advice!  I’d rate you if I could. :/.

InvisibleNumeroEno
I come from the land of lizards
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gamehendge Flag
    #25325226 - 07/14/18 12:58 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah dude it looks good. There may be some bacteria, but as a wise cultivator once told me, all jars have some bacteria. If it was bad you would know it. Sometimes slightly bacterial spawn will start to trich out towards the end of the first flush, so get what you can and if any trich pops up, well, :deathstar:

--------------------

:gd_icon:  Let it grow! Let it grow! Greatly yield!  :gd_icon:
What shall we say, shall we call it by a name
As well to count the angels dancing on a pin
Water bright as the sky from which it came
And the name is on the earth that takes it in

DOG FOOD AGAR

MY ELECTRIC INOCULATION LOOP

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25326504 - 07/14/18 06:56 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

shroomology702 said:
Sounds good, Caps.  Myc seems to be recovering good after last shake. You may be right that i over cooked some grain. I’m still adjusting my process. So far had better luck no popping grain with the ROGER rabbit  grain prep video.  Still making adjustments.

Anyway, once grains re over I’ll spawn to coir/Poo/verm/gypsum. Appreciate your advice!  I’d rate you if I could. :/.

Why can't you rate?

--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #25326587 - 07/14/18 07:54 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

post a pic of the recovery

--------------------
πŸ…ƒ πŸ„΄ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό    πŸ„² πŸ„» πŸ„Έ πŸ„½ πŸ„Ά πŸ…† πŸ… πŸ„° πŸ„Ώ

OfflineMadcapper144
Drummer
Male User Gallery

Re: First grain jars from agar transfers. Is this contaminated? [Re: JHOVA]
    #25326732 - 07/14/18 09:34 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

This was one outta 18 jars few days after a shake. I think your good as long as it doesn't start looking like this lol!

--------------------
Buy the ticket, take the ride!! :fearandloathing:

Offlineshroomology702
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25326875 - 07/14/18 11:08 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Caps McGee said:
Quote:

shroomology702 said:

Why can't you rate?

You have to have at least 50 posts to rate.

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25327145 - 07/15/18 07:32 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I didn't realize that... Makes sense though I guess

--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Offlineshroomology702
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25327748 - 07/15/18 01:22 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

What’s up once again everyone! 

So out of the 5 jars I transferred agar wedges to, 3 of them seem to have recovered well after the shake. The other two do show some growth but not as much as the three on the left.

Does that mean there is contamination or is it still worth it to transfer them from G2G. Maybe spawn to bulk?

Any feedback is appreciated!  Thank you!!!!

OfflineManifoldPrime
Per Ardua Ad Astra
I'm a teapot

Loc: South Africa Flag
    #25327995 - 07/15/18 03:14 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

How long ago was the shake? those rye grains look sexy

--------------------
My Magnum Opus:Thai Variety Comparison

Please correct me if I say something wrong!

| Current Trade Print Availability:Some PESA and RW available for South African posters. Snail Mail only. |

Offlineshroomology702
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First grain jars from agar transfers. Is this contaminated? [Re: ManifoldPrime]
    #25328135 - 07/15/18 04:30 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ManifoldPrime said:
How long ago was the shake? those rye grains look sexy

Hey Prime. I shook the grain 2 days ago. I was informed that the recovery time was an indication of contamination. What do you think?

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25328531 - 07/15/18 07:59 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Could also indicate poor grain conditions  (too dry, too wet, under-rinsed or overcooked) or poor GE... Are the filters wet?

--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #25328640 - 07/15/18 08:46 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

You g2ged bacterial grains and now it’s super bacterial

--------------------
πŸ…ƒ πŸ„΄ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό    πŸ„² πŸ„» πŸ„Έ πŸ„½ πŸ„Ά πŸ…† πŸ… πŸ„° πŸ„Ώ

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags