Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Bremers little plan for Iraq...
    #2531032 - 04/06/04 11:58 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The battle the US wants to provoke

Bremer is deliberately pushing Iraq's Shia south into all-out chaos

Naomi Klein in Baghdad
Tuesday April 6, 2004
The Guardian

I heard the sound of freedom in Baghdad's Firdos Square, the famous plaza where the statue of Saddam Hussein was toppled one year ago. It sounds like machine-gun fire.

On Sunday, Iraqi soldiers, trained and controlled by coalition forces, opened fire on a demonstration here. As the protesters returned to their homes in the poor neighbourhood of Sadr City, the US army followed with tanks, helicopters and planes, firing at random on homes, shops, streets, even ambulances. According to local hospitals, 47 people were killed and many more injured. In Najaf, the day was also bloody: 20 demonstrators dead, more than 150 injured.

In Sadr City yesterday, funeral marches passed by US military tanks and the hospitals were overflowing with the injured. By afternoon, clashes had resumed.

Make no mistake: this is not the "civil war" that Washington has been predicting will break out between Sunnis, Shias and Kurds. Rather, it is a war provoked by the US occupation authority and waged by its forces against the growing number of Shia who support Moqtada al-Sadr.

Sadr is the younger, more radical rival of the Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani and portrayed by his supporters as a cross between Ayatollah Khomeini and Che Guevara. He blames the US for attacks on civilians; compares the US occupation chief, Paul Bremer, to Saddam Hussein; aligns himself with Hamas and Hizbullah; and has called for a jihad against the controversial interim constitution. His Iraq might look a lot like Iran.

And it's a message with a market. With Sistani concentrating on lobbying the UN rather than on confronting the US-led occupation, many Shia are turning to the more militant tactics preached by Sadr. Some have joined the Mahdi, his black-clad army, which claims hundreds of thousands of members.

At first, Bremer responded to Sadr's growing strength by ignoring him; now he is attempting to provoke him into all-out battle. The trouble began when he closed down Sadr's newspaper last week, sparking a wave of peaceful demonstrations. On Saturday, Bremer raised the stakes further by sending coalition forces to surround Sadr's house near Najaf and arrest his communications officer.

Predictably, the arrest sparked immediate protests in Baghdad, which the Iraqi army responded to by opening fire and allegedly killing three people. At the end of the day on Sunday, Sadr called on his supporters to stop staging demonstrations and urged them to employ unnamed "other ways" to resist the occupation - a statement many interpreted as a call to arms.

On the surface, this chain of events is mystifying. With the so-called Sunni triangle in flames after the gruesome Falluja attacks, why is Bremer pushing the comparatively calm Shia south into battle?

Here's one possible answer: Washington has given up on its plans to hand over power to an interim Iraqi government on June 30, and is creating the chaos it needs to declare the handover impossible. A continued occupation will be bad news for George Bush on the campaign trail, but not as bad as if the hand-over happens and the country erupts, an increasingly likely scenario given the widespread rejection of the legitimacy of the interim constitution and the US- appointed governing council.

But by sending the new Iraqi army to fire on the people they are supposed to be protecting, Bremer has destroyed what slim hope they had of gaining credibility with an already highly mistrustful population. On Sunday, before storming the unarmed demonstrators, the soldiers could be seen pulling on ski masks, so they would not be recognised in their neighbourhoods later.

The coalition provisional authority is increasingly being compared on the streets to Saddam, who also didn't much like peaceful protests, or critical newspapers.

On Sunday, all these explosive forces came together when thousands of demonstrators filled Firdos Square. On one side of the plaza, a couple of kids climbed to the top of a building and took a knife to a billboard advertising Iraq's new army. On the other side, US forces pointed tanks at the crowd while a loudspeaker told them that "demonstrations are an important part of democracy but blocking traffic will not be permitted".

At the front of the square was the statue that the Americans put up in place of the toppled one of Saddam. Its faceless figures are supposed to represent the liberation of the Iraqi people. Today they are plastered with photographs of Moqtada al-Sadr.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Bremers little plan for Iraq... [Re: Xlea321]
    #2531379 - 04/06/04 02:15 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

that looks like a load of shit to me.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Bremers little plan for Iraq... [Re: ]
    #2531516 - 04/06/04 02:54 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Any reason behind that?

Why choose this moment to close the newspaper down and provoke the issue?

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Bremers little plan for Iraq... [Re: Xlea321]
    #2531744 - 04/06/04 03:53 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

> A continued occupation will be bad news for George Bush on the campaign trail

An occupation might be bad, but an all out war will help. Bush's wet dream for reelection, and my nightmare, is another war... Very seldom will the US vote out a president during an armed conflict.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Bremers little plan for Iraq... [Re: ]
    #2531759 - 04/06/04 03:58 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Sadr is a puppet of the Iranian mullocracy, as even the tightly-tinfoiled Ms. Klein tacitly admits. His mission is to foment unrest by whatever means they direct him to utilize.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Bremers little plan for Iraq... [Re: Phred]
    #2532168 - 04/06/04 05:40 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Another reason I don't read the Guardian.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Bremers little plan for Iraq... [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #2533599 - 04/07/04 01:53 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Any reasoning against the points made?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion