Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDeTerminator
Stranger
Dried out brf jars?
    #25281021 - 06/20/18 03:09 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Hello, incredible forum!

I've experienced a problem with the colonization of my recent brf jars.  They appeared to have stalled out.

Of the 10 started, there are a few that the mycelium have nearly completed taking over the jar.  I started them on 5/18, so nearly 5 weeks now.  But, they haven't done anything for a few weeks. 

I'm thinking that they dried out, probably from my attempting to get the temperature up higher with a heating pad.  I also used a thermometer with them in a box, and shut it off when the temp was 85 F, or so.  I see they prefer closer to 70, after researching.  Roger Rabbit's video mentions 78-81F, I believe.

The one furthest along has a roundish spot of un-populated brf that is about 1" in diameter.  The edges of the mycelium in dried out.  There is no apparent contamination in the jars.  The other jars show varying degrees of colonizaton.  They had a good start, then stopped colonizing.

I have grown a few grows over the years, but never had this happen until now.  I also used transpore tape over the injection sites this time, instead of masking tape.

Should I just hang on longer?  Can I save these somehow, although not fully colonized?  I'm thinking that they dried out from the heating pad, and could benefit from a good drink of water.  I also began another project after that one, to keep my bases covered.

Thanks, DT

Edited by DeTerminator (06/20/18 03:14 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMegaSuperLionheart
Tiger-blooded
Male

Re: Dried out brf jars? [Re: DeTerminator]
    #25281152 - 06/20/18 04:14 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I actually don't have an answer for this question, but I'd like to tack on one of my own as well.  I've been wondering about this.

I'm assuming the mycelium don't actually understand they're in a jar.  It's not as if it tells itself "I need to completely fill this jar, and once I've filled it, that's when I'm ready to fruit!"  Does it not stand to reason that the mycelium could be healthy, fully grown, consolidated and ready to birth even if it's only colonized, say, 90% of the jar or less?

OfflineDeTerminator
Stranger
Re: Dried out brf jars? [Re: MegaSuperLionheart]
    #25281304 - 06/20/18 05:38 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MegaSuperLionheart said:
I actually don't have an answer for this question, but I'd like to tack on one of my own as well.  I've been wondering about this.

I'm assuming the mycelium don't actually understand they're in a jar.  It's not as if it tells itself "I need to completely fill this jar, and once I've filled it, that's when I'm ready to fruit!"  Does it not stand to reason that the mycelium could be healthy, fully grown, consolidated and ready to birth even if it's only colonized, say, 90% of the jar or less?

I assume the mycelium uses favorable existing physical conditions to further it's development along.  That's how it acts in nature, anyway.  Once the previously favorable conditions disappear, it no longer continues it's expansion.  Thanks for your idea, MSLionheart.

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: Dried out brf jars? [Re: MegaSuperLionheart]
    #25281350 - 06/20/18 05:57 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah absolutely and such a jar is not lost, just open it and remove all the excess uncolonized rice flour and youll have a perfectly good, just a little smaller, cake.

--------------------
"to affirm life is to also affirm death"
-Albert hofmann

OfflineDeTerminator
Stranger
Re: Dried out brf jars? [Re: polaritymind]
    #25281633 - 06/20/18 08:19 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks polaritymind!  I wasn't sure what to do with those partial jars.  The other jars aren't quite colonized as that one is.  Maybe I should think about shredding the partial cakes?  I haven't done that method yet, but it would be a step along in the process of growing these guys.  Maybe shoebox?

They definitely stalled out.  I wonder what an injection of sterilized water would do for them (into the ports of the jar).

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Re: Dried out brf jars? [Re: DeTerminator]
    #25309219 - 07/05/18 05:38 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

An injection of sterile water would be worth a try for sure, also how is your Gas exchabge set up this can also be a reason for stalling. Crumble & Case is a good thing, greatly to be recommended which increases yields a lot, if you are motivated to try something new (which obviosly is always a bit more risky than what you already know well) then go for it!

--------------------
-Albert hofmann

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

#25309221 - 07/05/18 05:41 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

The water injection especially makes sense since dried mycelium can be revived when it gets wet again, like a form of hibernation, it doesnt fully die. This is what happens every spring and is what makes the "already colonized" type of grow kit possible (you just add water).

--------------------
-Albert hofmann

OfflineDeTerminator
Stranger
    #25309433 - 07/05/18 10:25 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

What I ended up doing was waiting a few more days, and then noticed some very minimal additional colonization of a few jars.  Also, there were some fruits starting to develop in a few jars, so I figured it was time to birth.  So, that's what I did.

They went into the sgfc, (after a 24 hr. soak, and rolled with verm) along with two other fully colonized birthed cakes that were inoculated a month after that original batch.  So, 3 of the 5 total cakes now fruiting are partial cakes that had taken a good 6 weeks or more before birthing, and even then weren't fully taking over their jars.  I knocked off the verm layer, and did the dunk and roll after soaking 24 hours.

Right now, that one cake that had an area of about 1 inch of substrate unoccupied by mycelium, has maybe 20 (or more) fruits!  The weather here in the house has been a bit higher than optimal for cubes (80-85F sometimes, it sucks!), so growth has been slow, but I've been misting a few times lately an hour, as well as heavy fanning with the lid, and they are now taking off pretty good.  They seem to soak up the misting fast. I'm using a 12/12 hr. on/off (or so) with a 6500K bulb.

My next project would involve shoeboxes, but want to diversify at first with continuing the sgfc as well.  My needs are small, but it wouldn't take much work to get into shoeboxes, as well as PF Tek, for a while. 

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started