Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy Elixinol   MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands, USA Flag
'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice * 2
    #25294868 - 06/27/18 01:53 PM (4 months, 16 days ago)

'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice
www.dw.com

Old mice suddenly had "young" brains after receiving low doses of a THC compound found in marijuana. The discovery has huge potential for people with diseases like Alzheimer's — but doesn't mean you should light up.

What was the experiment, in brief?

We treated old mice with a low dose of the active ingredient in cannabis. Learning and memory functions improved dramatically in these animals, and they performed as well as mice that were much, much younger.

How did you react when you saw for the first time that old mice had developed younger brains?

Complete disbelief, basically.

How was the experiment conducted?

We implanted so-called osmotic mini-pumps—tiny pumps that we put under the skin of these mice—and they constantly released the drug that we wanted to administer. And then, after four weeks, we stopped the delivery, waited for a week, and then afterwards, there were several tests on learning and memory.

How do you test a mouse's memory?

A very simple test, for example, is that mouse needs to learn how to find a hidden platform. And mice learn this typically within a few days—actually, they're quite good.

So after the old mice receive THC you tested them again….

And what we observed was quite staggering. They remembered where the platform was just as well as a young animal—and also, their working memory was absolutely indistinguishable. Then we tested the animals in many different paradigms that also test memory function, and we basically couldn't distinguish [between] the old mice and young mice. These [old mice] were between 12 and 18 months, which is very old for a mouse.

Is there any other substance, chemical compound—anything out there—that you've seen administered to mice that has this kind of effect?

No, not that I know of. This is very unique to cannabis.

Does this mean I can walk outside, smoke a joint and improve my memory?

No, you're too young. Cannabis is a drug that has opposite effect on young animals as opposed to old animals. It worsens memory in young mice. It also worsens memory in young humans. Don't smoke dope.

When young people smoke marijuana, what is happening at the chemical level to worsen cognitive function or to worsen memory?

We don't know. We know it's temporary. If you stop smoking pot your memory functions will improve. But while you're smoking pot, you'll perform worse.

Did you have a hunch that you might find these results?

We had previously observed that the endocannabinoid tone declines as we age, so the levels of endogenous substances decrease in older individuals. And this means they're present inside our bodies to begin with. So what the plant compound does is just mimic our endogenous compounds. What we were attempting to do is to normalize the level, or bring it back to the level of young individuals.

Andreas Zimmer is a professor at the Institute of Molecular Psychiatry at the University of Bonn. Together with colleagues at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, he conducted the brain research on mice and co-authored the paper published in Nature Medicine entitled, "A chronic low dose of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) restores cognitive function in old mice."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineschizferatu
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Strawberry Fields bey...
Re: 'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice [Re: Ythan]
    #25295458 - 06/27/18 07:01 PM (4 months, 16 days ago)

What the fuck ever....

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: 'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice [Re: schizferatu] * 1
    #25296336 - 06/28/18 07:06 AM (4 months, 15 days ago)

*unique* thc lol

Btw I believe, personally, that the worst effect of cannabis is not memory. Its anxiety. For long term everyday use

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice [Re: Fractal420] * 1
    #25296352 - 06/28/18 07:24 AM (4 months, 15 days ago)

Anxiety just doesn't happen to some people. Ive daily used for the last decade and never felt anxious unless there was a cop behind me while driving

There's lots of thc compounds in weed, 113 identified so far.

--------------------
Everything you need in one spot.

My Q&A thread. Ask me questions here rather than in Private Message

First rule of mushroom cultivation. Get high on your own supply.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: 'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25296373 - 06/28/18 07:51 AM (4 months, 15 days ago)

Yup. 113 is correct, thats why i like flower more than any extract. Entourage effect.

The anxiety thing, i dunno, try smoking weed when youre already panicking, def does not help. I mean if you have a long session and can chill out sure. But if you have a plane to catch, take a few pulls, i dunno sometimes i def notice increased anxiety. As just part of its psychoactive effect. This is mostly with sativas too IMO

But sure, everyone is different, thats true too

Or if you eat a strong edible and its way stronger than expected. I dunno, that can def make me anxious. When im "tripping" level high off some strong concentrate edible.

But i also wonder if over time, like 15-20 years of daily smoking, whether one would be more anxious. I dont think we can answer that definitively yet. But in my gut i think probably.

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

Offlineicetech
Mastermasturbator

Loc: FSM's loving noodles.
Re: 'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice [Re: schizferatu]
    #25296380 - 06/28/18 07:59 AM (4 months, 15 days ago)

Quote:

schizferatu said:
What the fuck ever....

Just curious, did you not like this post? did you disagree with it? did you do your own experiments and think this is bs?

Just a very vague reply.

--------------------
TRUE LOVE...

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male

Re: 'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice [Re: Fractal420]
    #25296620 - 06/28/18 11:34 AM (4 months, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:
Yup. 113 is correct, thats why i like flower more than any extract. Entourage effect.

The anxiety thing, i dunno, try smoking weed when youre already panicking, def does not help. I mean if you have a long session and can chill out sure. But if you have a plane to catch, take a few pulls, i dunno sometimes i def notice increased anxiety. As just part of its psychoactive effect. This is mostly with sativas too IMO

Or if you eat a strong edible and its way stronger than expected. I dunno, that can def make me anxious. When im "tripping" level high off some strong concentrate edible.

But i also wonder if over time, like 15-20 years of daily smoking, whether one would be more anxious. I dont think we can answer that definitively yet. But in my gut i think probably.

SAJLMFAO I'm 52 and have been smoking since 1982. I stated smoking daily in 2000 when I retired, ain't life a bitch.

I grow my own and can tell you I don't suffer from anxiety. However I have one strain I crossed and grew out back in 98 made me paranoid as fuck and my heart pound. The original seeds were from dime bags of weed I had bought in the early eighties.

The next year I discovered heavens stairway a seed shop in Montreal bought sensi seeds Mr nice and hash plant and then just grew those strains for years. Right now my favorite is MK ultra.

OfflineO_Dweeds
Humanitarian Magician

Loc: Cage Capitol Country
Re: 'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice [Re: icetech]
    #25296633 - 06/28/18 11:39 AM (4 months, 15 days ago)

Lots of variables at play here that aren't specified. In my experience cannabis can definitely have both positive or negative effect depending on the cannabinoid contents and potency. Also smell is known to be one of the strongest things to trigger memories and/or state of mind.

We're these older mice subjected to this when younger also?

--------------------
Never Pass Up A Good Thing
"I'd like thank god almighty, for giving everybody else so much...and me so little."
  Dave Chappelle
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace."
Gregg Allman

Offlinedownlowfunk
Retired Festival Veteran
Male

Loc: Physical Realm
Re: 'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice [Re: O_Dweeds]
    #25297483 - 06/28/18 07:23 PM (4 months, 15 days ago)

Id have to guess it is CBC as that has been said to repair the brain.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: 'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice [Re: rider420]
    #25298382 - 06/29/18 08:57 AM (4 months, 14 days ago)

Quote:

rider420 said:
Quote:

Fractal420 said:

SAJLMFAO I'm 52 and have been smoking since 1982. I stated smoking daily in 2000 when I retired, ain't life a bitch.

I grow my own and can tell you I don't suffer from anxiety. However I have one strain I crossed and grew out back in 98 made me paranoid as fuck and my heart pound. The original seeds were from dime bags of weed I had bought in the early eighties.

The next year I discovered heavens stairway a seed shop in Montreal bought sensi seeds Mr nice and hash plant and then just grew those strains for years. Right now my favorite is MK ultra.

MKUltra rocks. I reallt soubt youd "develop" anxiety btw, more so if you have it, could make it temporarily worse. Ive been dealing with anxiety my whole life. That said, much of the time, toking calms me down. I think life just made me a bit more anxious over the years. most issues progress over time

Ive been smoking daily since around 2000 (funny i missed that you said the same thing lol). Which is about half my life. Again, im def not blaming pot, if you read this post. I do wonder sometimes if id be different, is all.

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

Offlineschizferatu
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Strawberry Fields bey...
Re: 'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice [Re: icetech]
    #25299061 - 06/29/18 03:39 PM (4 months, 14 days ago)

Quote:

Quote:

schizferatu said:
What the fuck ever....

Just curious, did you not like this post? did you disagree with it? did you do your own experiments and think this is bs?

Just a very vague reply.

I have nothing against this post.  I do not disagree with the post.  I disagree with the idea that cannabis affects memory at any age.  It affects focus.  It increases your focus so much that you barely pay attention to anything outside of the tunnel vision it creates.  We are better at retaining things we care about or find interesting.  We may care greatly about where we left our car keys but the act of walking inside your house and tossing them somewhere is a trivial habit.  Remembering all the lyrics to an awesome song you heard years ago, somehow sticks - because you found it highly interesting and maybe even personal.

My vague, whiny post was due to continually hearing great things about cannabis - BUT STAY AWAY FROM IT.  This seems to be the message.  I have, in fact, done my own 30-year experiment where I am the guinea pig and my memory is fine at 47 just as it was at 16.  Cannabis opened up my mind to an entirely new confidence in thinking.  I am still awaiting any kind of downside to cannabis, other than alienating a bunch of drug users that think their alcohol, nicotine, and pills are somehow better/safer (or going to jail for it).

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: 'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice [Re: schizferatu]
    #25299678 - 06/29/18 09:42 PM (4 months, 13 days ago)

I think it sure can affect focus too, but for now thats just an opinion. Whats interesting is watching people with ADHD react to cannabis, i mean a whole bunch of diff people with adhd. And its also interesting because ADHD certainly does change the effects of adderall and cocaine. The other day did some with a friend who takes like 40mg adderall a day and doesnt feel a thing, and they just got super relaxed. No crash nothing, seemed like a benzo, lol.

And while those are stimulants, i feel adhd changes people's reactions to alot of substances. Most are much milder differences than stimulants, it seems

As far as memory, when im having a period where i smoke daily and alot, i def will forget where i put my lighter for a few seconds. I will recall it pretty fast. But ill still forget and its def noticeable. However chilling out (smoking less, even) for like 48 hrs and it goes away. Seems the memory is mostly a temporary issue, but its hard to debate that there is an effect. Its specifically very short term stuff like what you put in your pockets etc

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

Offlinegandalfe
Gandalfe
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: 'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice [Re: Ythan]
    #25300833 - 06/30/18 02:41 PM (4 months, 13 days ago)

Here in Canada we are legalizing Cannabis, and the main catalyst was the amazing medicinal benefits of this healing herb.It is good for the brain and helps stabilize it's chemistry.I listened to a lecture by a Neurologist that claimed that people like myself, that have been smoking weed their entire adult life weren't getting Alzheimer's disease like many of the ones that stayed clear of Cannabis.The low quality; CBD rich; ditch weed, we were smoking back in the Sixties, saved our silly Hippy Noggins.I am as old as dirt and can still play the piano, and remember how to type.

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Columbus OH Flag
Re: 'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice [Re: gandalfe]
    #25318261 - 07/10/18 12:16 PM (4 months, 3 days ago)

I'm probably the only person on this site who doesn't use cannabis.  Haven't used it in years.  If I was to use it again I would use it as an edible 3-4 hours before sleep.  I don't particularly find it enjoyable but it does wonders for minor aches and pains.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: 'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #25319889 - 07/11/18 05:59 AM (4 months, 2 days ago)

Man a good edible is too intense to sleep these days. Unless its an indica. They like making sativa ass kickers mostly though it seems

Punch Bars make me sleepy 90% of the time tho. But over 100mg and its intense as fuck (at least for me, and i smoke a decent 1-2g flower a day). Or at least like 50-100mg of bho thru an enail so theres very little waste

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

InvisibleDualWieldRake
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone 8b
Re: 'Unique' cannabis compound reverses brain aging in mice [Re: Fractal420]
    #25320880 - 07/11/18 06:27 PM (4 months, 2 days ago)

This article is about 99% assumption (aka the info is highly likely to be false)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy Elixinol   MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service