Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9  [ show all ]
Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US * 2
    #25290770 - 06/25/18 10:39 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Harley Davidson has announced that due to EU retaliatory tariffs, they will be moving the production of motorcycles destined for the European market form their Wisconsin factory to other locations outside the United States. Additionally, they estimated they will lose $100 million in profits this year.

It's stunning how fucking stupid our current president is. This is what we can expect from now on. He doesn't know a god damned thing about economics and he's going to fuck this country over. If you voted for this moron, you should be ashamed.

Here's the SEC filling.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/793952/000079395218000038/a8-kitem701tariffdisclosur.htm

Quote:

The European Union has enacted tariffs on various U.S.-manufactured products, including Harley-Davidson motorcycles. These tariffs, which became effective June 22, 2018, were imposed in response to the tariffs the U.S. imposed on steel and aluminum exported from the EU to the U.S.

Consequently, EU tariffs on Harley-Davidson motorcycles exported from the U.S. have increased from 6% to 31%. Harley-Davidson expects these tariffs will result in an incremental cost of approximately $2,200 per average motorcycle exported from the U.S. to the EU.

Harley-Davidson believes the tremendous cost increase, if passed onto its dealers and retail customers, would have an immediate and lasting detrimental impact to its business in the region, reducing customer access to Harley-Davidson products and negatively impacting the sustainability of its dealers’ businesses. Therefore, Harley-Davidson will not raise its manufacturer’s suggested retail prices or wholesale prices to its dealers to cover the costs of the retaliatory tariffs. In the near-term, the company will bear the significant impact resulting from these tariffs, and the company estimates the incremental cost for the remainder of 2018 to be approximately $30 to $45 million. On a full-year basis, the company estimates the aggregate annual impact due to the EU tariffs to be approximately $90 to $100 million.

To address the substantial cost of this tariff burden long-term, Harley-Davidson will be implementing a plan to shift production of motorcycles for EU destinations from the U.S. to its international facilities to avoid the tariff burden. Harley-Davidson expects ramping-up production in international plants will require incremental investment and could take at least 9 to 18 months to be fully complete.

Harley-Davidson maintains a strong commitment to U.S.-based manufacturing which is valued by riders globally. Increasing international production to alleviate the EU tariff burden is not the company’s preference, but represents the only sustainable option to make its motorcycles accessible to customers in the EU and maintain a viable business in Europe. Europe is a critical market for Harley-Davidson. In 2017, nearly 40,000 riders bought new Harley-Davidson motorcycles in Europe, and the revenue generated from the EU countries is second only to the U.S.

Harley-Davidson’s purpose is to fulfill dreams of personal freedom for customers who live in the European Union and across the world, and the company remains fully engaged with government officials in both the U.S. and the EU helping to find sustainable solutions to trade issues and rescind all tariffs that restrict free and fair trade.

so much winning.

Harley-Davidson will provide more details of the financial implications and plans to mitigate the impact of retaliatory EU tariffs during the company’s second quarter earnings conference call on July 24, 2018, at 8:00AM CDT.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: koods]
    #25290890 - 06/25/18 12:04 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

*Crickets from the cheerleading section*

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: koods] * 4
    #25290902 - 06/25/18 12:13 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

trump needs to tweet something about this first  , then they’ll know what to say ..,

--------------------

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: Psilynut2]
    #25291017 - 06/25/18 01:52 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

There’s just no way to put lipstick on this pig and they are just gonna pretend it isn’t happening.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
    #25291111 - 06/25/18 02:43 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I don't see a downside to this, actually.  Send those low-skilled jobs to the EU, while those same workers will undoubtedly move into research positions in the nanotech industry.

MAGA!

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: koods] * 1
    #25291113 - 06/25/18 02:45 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

This is the same Harley-Davidson that took their tax cut and used it to shut down a failing plant in Kansas and move overseas, right?

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: Enlil]
    #25291173 - 06/25/18 03:16 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
I don't see a downside to this, actually.  Send those low-skilled jobs to the EU, while those same workers will undoubtedly move into research positions in the nanotech industry.

MAGA!

More like unpaid drug research helping to answer that timeless question: is this bag heroin or fentanyl.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger

#25291202 - 06/25/18 03:44 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

More likely to move into picking positions in the strawberry industry  than anything tech related .
  I hope Harley goes out of buisiness . Id like to see a few less slow obnoxiously loud piles of crap  operated by stupid pricks who think their bullshit is faster than my Porsche .

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
    #25291542 - 06/25/18 06:42 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I just saw that on the news.

How ironic that Trump wanted to help businesses in the US, but by taxing imported materials causes them to want/need to relocate to another country.

Didnt see that comin did ya Trump?

--------------------
"What you must understand is that your physical dimension affects everyone in the higher dimensions as well. All things are interconnected. All things are One. Therefore, if one dimension is broken or out of balance, then all other dimensions will experience repercussions." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:| Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. Welcome to the Next Great Era of Earth 🌎🌍🌏                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | 💧 Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method 💧 | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #25291654 - 06/25/18 07:40 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:

How ironic that Trump wanted to help businesses in the US, but by taxing imported materials causes them to want/need to relocate to another country.

Of course it's going to hurt some companies, do you really think one policy helps every company?  That's extremely naïve or disingenuous, which is it?

The real test is what it produces OVERALL and not on an company specific case, correct?

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: qman] * 3
    #25291661 - 06/25/18 07:44 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Someone help qman with these goalposts.

--------------------

Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #25291678 - 06/25/18 07:54 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
Someone help qman with these goalposts.

Which goalposts?

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: qman]
    #25291680 - 06/25/18 07:55 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:

Of course it's going to hurt some companies, do you really think one policy helps every company?  That's extremely naïve or disingenuous, which is it?

The real test is what it produces OVERALL and not on an company specific case, correct?

Who said anything about hurting companies? This isn't hurting companies at all. Harley Davidson was planning on shifting some production overseas, the tax cuts just gave them the funds to do so ahead of schedule. Back in January.

Now, Harley is responding to the economic tariffs by moving more production overseas. China, with its growing middle class and love of American culture, is now a massive market for this icon of American success. However, it is more expensive to make these in the US, and now it's more expensive to buy the materials, *and* sell these as well?

Fuck that, of course they're moving a factory to China. Stock price is probably going waaaay up! MAGA! MAGA! MAGA!

EDIT: Huh, looks like stock price is shitting the bed all week. Guess that's market wide, though.

TRUMP EDIT: Looks like someone didn't see that coming...

Edited by Kryptos (06/25/18 07:59 PM)

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25291825 - 06/25/18 09:22 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

How does it benefit US companies thou?

Unless we have a bunch of metal-manufacturing plants in the US.

Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #25291837 - 06/25/18 09:26 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:

I think putting tariffs on just materials is fucking stupid, the US needs to put serious tariffs on finished goods.

We want to manufacture goods for US consumption in the US, remember the good old days?

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25291864 - 06/25/18 09:39 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Ahhh the good old days when we needed very little imported goods.

Back in the Industrial Revolution days, there were so many jobs!

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #25291873 - 06/25/18 09:43 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:

The stock prices went up last year, so US company owners benefitted. Who else matters?

InvisibleCitizen X
Buzz Killinton
Other User Gallery
Loc: Djibouti
    #25291874 - 06/25/18 09:43 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Psilynut2 said:
More likely to move into picking positions in the strawberry industry  than anything tech related .
  I hope Harley goes out of buisiness . Id like to see a few less slow obnoxiously loud piles of crap  operated by stupid pricks who think their bullshit is faster than my Porsche .

At least my Harley is made in.... oh wait

--------------------

Rate me here

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
    #25291910 - 06/25/18 10:17 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Actually I think this could have fairly major implications. In the outlaw motorcycle world (or at least the Outlaws and the Angels) you have to ride an American made bike. and nearly all ride Harleys. I live in Outlaw country and I only know a couple members, but the other bikers I know seem to emulate them (except they're less quick to resort to violence). They dress like them and Support your Local Outlaws shirts are very popular. It will be interesting to see how "buy American" plays out in these subcultures.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

The worst thing about corruption is that it works so well,

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: Kryptos]
    #25291917 - 06/25/18 10:20 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:

The stock prices went up last year, so US company owners benefitted. Who else matters?

The stock prices are not up now, so what's your point?. This didn't benefit anyone except short term stock traders who guessed right.

--------------------

OfflineThundermuscle75
Penis, usually hard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Staring at woodchips.
Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: Brian Jones]
    #25292118 - 06/26/18 12:35 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Brian Jones said:
Actually I think this could have fairly major implications. In the outlaw motorcycle world (or at least the Outlaws and the Angels) you have to ride an American made bike. and nearly all ride Harleys. I live in Outlaw country and I only know a couple members, but the other bikers I know seem to emulate them (except they're less quick to resort to violence). They dress like them and Support your Local Outlaws shirts are very popular. It will be interesting to see how "buy American" plays out in these subcultures.

It looks like Harley's manufactured for the US market will still be American made.

--------------------

"Rape ... Is a... can of apples" -Fiery

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: Thundermuscle75]
    #25292220 - 06/26/18 02:43 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

OK. That makes more sense then.

People around the world are smoking Marlboros. It has a powerful brand image. I'm guessing they don't produce them here.

--------------------

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25292417 - 06/26/18 05:15 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Brian Jones said:
Quote:

Kryptos said:
Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:

The stock prices are not up now, so what's your point?. This didn't benefit anyone except short term stock traders who guessed right.

Exactly! like the upper management of Harley Davidson, who likely take a stock option. Again, who else matters?

Quote:

Brian Jones said:
OK. That makes more sense then.

People around the world are smoking Marlboros. It has a powerful brand image. I'm guessing they don't produce them here.

The vast majority of Marlboro cigarettes are produced in Virginia. There was a fairly high-profile case a while back when they tried to reacquire rights they previously sold in Canada.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25292529 - 06/26/18 07:16 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Mid-Continent Nail of Poplar Bluff, Mo., the largest U.S. nail manufacturer, cut 60 jobs on June 15 and plans to lay off an additional 200 workers in a few days, citing plummeting sales following the imposition of Trump’s tariffs on metals. The company said it may not survive past Labor Day if it doesn’t get relief from the tariffs.

Another one

Th trump economy is heating up :lol:

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
    #25292532 - 06/26/18 07:21 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

If all this is true, why is the unemployment rate so low? Is the data for the stats old(pre tariff)?

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Edited by SirTripAlot (06/26/18 07:22 AM)

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #25292539 - 06/26/18 07:28 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Employment is a lagging indicator.

Trumps jobs growth isn’t as good as Obama’s. Last year had the least number of new jobs created since 2011. But trump supporters are about feelings not reality

I predicted a while back these tariffs and crackdown on immigrants will cause negative gdp growth by the end of the year. Now maybe people will start understanding why that is. Of course smart people have been telling trump tariffs are a terrible idea but he’s too stupid to know how stupid he is.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Edited by koods (06/26/18 07:32 AM)

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger

#25292571 - 06/26/18 07:56 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

In January, President Trump mandated a 30% tariff on solar equipment manufactured abroad, a decision largely aimed at China and intended to reduce the prices of solar panels.

But now, one U.S.-based company is saying the tariff had the opposite effect. SunPower, the nation’s second-biggest commercial solar-power company, reportedly pays an additional $2 million per week because of the tariff

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/why-trumps-solar-panel-tariff-is-hurting-this-us-company

--------------------

InvisibleCitizen X
Buzz Killinton
Other User Gallery
Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: Psilynut2] * 1
    #25292579 - 06/26/18 08:02 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I would like to see a graph on how this last round of tax cuts boosted wages, if it did, when one is available.

This low wage, credit based society America is going through cannot go on forever. Mark my words, but it’s a great distraction. They keep ya busy

--------------------

Rate me here

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25292593 - 06/26/18 08:13 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Donald trump is clueless about world trade.

Harley is already moving some production to asia due to the us pulling out of the TPP. The TPP would have allowed them to make bikes in the us and ship them to Asia without any tariffs, but without free trade deals they have to make them elsewhere to avoid taxes.

I guess slapping your name on real estate and having one business failure after another isn’t great experience for actually running a country. MAGA

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: Citizen X]
    #25292595 - 06/26/18 08:14 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Citizen X said:
I would like to see a graph on how this last round of tax cuts boosted wages, if it did, when one is available.

This low wage, credit based society America is going through cannot go on forever. Mark my words, but it’s a great distraction. They keep ya busy

Wages are flat. Actually some wages dropped in the last report (year over year)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/wonk/wp/2018/06/15/for-the-biggest-group-of-american-workers-wages-arent-just-flat-theyre-falling/
Quote:

For workers in “production and nonsupervisory” positions, the value of the average paycheck has declined in the past year. For those workers, average “real wages” — a measure of pay that takes inflation into account — fell from $22.62 in May 2017 to $22.59 in May 2018, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said.

This pool of workers includes those in manufacturing and construction jobs, as well as all “nonsupervisory” workers in service industries such health care or fast food. The group accounts for about four-fifths of the privately employed workers in America, according to BLS.

MAGA

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Edited by koods (06/26/18 08:17 AM)

InvisibleCitizen X
Buzz Killinton
Other User Gallery
    #25292601 - 06/26/18 08:20 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks K

--------------------

Rate me here

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: koods] * 2
    #25292602 - 06/26/18 08:21 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

The sad thing is, trump supporters are so emotionally invested in MAGA they don’t actually care that his policies are a going to ruin the economy and hurt themselves. It’s all about feeling and remembering the glory days when trump beat Hillary by -3,000,0000 votes

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Invisiblerelic
of a bygone era
Male

Loc: the right coast
    #25292662 - 06/26/18 09:00 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

he is used to bullying people and small businesses into submission and sometimes out of business.

that he thinks it will work with all matters foreign, domestic, diplomatic, and trade related is evidence of his simple mindedness, imo.

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25292750 - 06/26/18 10:08 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
The sad thing is, trump supporters are so emotionally invested in MAGA they don’t actually care that his policies are a going to ruin the economy and hurt themselves. It’s all about feeling and remembering the glory days when trump beat Hillary by -3,000,0000 votes

There was an interesting article this morning, I wanna say another David Brooks piece, which basically looked at the conservative movement versus the Republican party. Historically, conservatism is the focus on the individual. The institutions that create the individual, specifically family, church, the basic social connections within the immediate society are valued above all. The Republicans abandoned this some time ago, in favor of economic conservatism. This was exemplified by the "stock price above all" Reaganomics policies, where the worth of society is dictated not by the people it provides but by the GDP and the value of the business it conducts. Modern republicanism has, once again, rejected this. As most Republican voters are left out of the GDP is King motivation, the latest iteration of Republican thought seems to be contrarianism. By that, I mean they do the opposite of the liberals. They trigger. They heckle. Thats their tribal identity. We stand for liberal tears.

Of course, this is a good cover for the same economic fundamentalism that hurts the average American.

What's the point of the OP? Jobs being lost? Factories moving? Does any of that matter? I think it does not. The part that matters most is that Harley Davidson stock price is down 6% due to fears of tariffs. Nothing else is important.

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger

#25293197 - 06/26/18 02:45 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

“A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never!” Trump tweeted. “Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end – they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2018/06/26/trump-denies-hes-to-blame-for-harley-davidson-decision/amp/

Can’t wait to watch republicans try to run on putting Harley out of buisiness and concentration camps for kids in Nov ..

--------------------

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
    #25293292 - 06/26/18 03:34 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Apparently the move was planned before the tariffs.

That was said by Trump. I will try to look it up or something.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: XUL] * 1
    #25293307 - 06/26/18 03:42 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Harley-Davidson's sales fell in 2017, a continuing trend for the company in recent years, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.
http://kcur.org/post/harley-davidson-will-close-its-kansas-city-assembly-plant#stream/0

It sounds like they have been in trouble for years.

Further, one company's actions are not representative of the economy.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger

#25293336 - 06/26/18 03:58 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

It’s just the first bite of the shit sandwich .

“””The proposed U.S. tariffs on car imports will have far reaching negative implications for the whole auto industry, according to Moody’s Investors Service.
The research firm said higher tariffs will cause problems across the car industry’s global supply chain.”””

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/06/25/trumps-tariffs-on-auto-imports-will-hurt-entire-car-industry-moodys.html

--------------------

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: Psilynut2] * 2
    #25293358 - 06/26/18 04:12 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Then: Tariffs are what we need. Itll solve our problems.

Now: well obviously tariffs will only work in some cases sometimes.

--------------------

OfflineThundermuscle75
Penis, usually hard
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: The Ecstatic] * 3
    #25293370 - 06/26/18 04:20 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Taxing the wealthy=bad

Taxing everything we need=good

MAGA

--------------------

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25293376 - 06/26/18 04:24 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I was listening to NPR earlier, and they had audio of some Harley worker saying even if he lost his job to tariffs he'd still vote for Trump and supports him 100%.

There are people ready and willing to make their own lives objectively worse for a perceived evil that has less evidence backing it up than climate change. Which they also deny.

It's becoming harder to care.

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25293378 - 06/26/18 04:26 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Its either ignorance or malice.

--------------------

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: The Ecstatic] * 2
    #25293400 - 06/26/18 04:44 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I think it's a little of both. That's the part that really fucks with me. Ignorance, I get that. It's fine. But the people that make their own lives worse out of malice? Are "liberal tears" really worth losing your job?

Not to go a little zero to 60 here, but...is suicide worth blowing up a bunch of liberals, for example?

We've seen people that think jail time is worth shooting liberals, or running them over with cars, but no suicide bombers yet. Guess we've had regular bombers, but those are rarely targeted at specifically liberals. More institutions.

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25293417 - 06/26/18 04:52 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

And don't forget the school shooters who know their lives are (for all intents and purposes) over afterwards. Its not all crazies. Some of these people are making a conscious decision by saying "okay, i'll go to jail for the rest of my life, but i'll show those damn liberals/sjws/girl who rejected me by killing them."

Its a suicide vest with a delayed timer.

--------------------

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25293424 - 06/26/18 04:57 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

That's what I meant by shooters.

We should really deregulate hospitals and ERs. The legal requirement for an ER to stabilize everyone, and not just people that can pay, places an undue regulatory burden on hospitals that they should not have to deal with. This also raises the price of insurance for everyone, because it allows some people to just not have insurance and rely on taxpayers and bankruptcy.

InvisibleTantrika
Miss Ann Thrope
Female

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Lashed to the pyre
    #25293538 - 06/26/18 06:14 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Donald trump is clueless about world trade.

Harley is already moving some production to asia due to the us pulling out of the TPP. The TPP would have allowed them to make bikes in the us and ship them to Asia without any tariffs, but without free trade deals they have to make them elsewhere to avoid taxes.

Question for you
with regards to Trump tweeting
Quote:

Early this year Harley-Davidson said they would move much of their plant operations in Kansas City to Thailand. That was long before Tariffs were announced. Hence, they were just using Tariffs/Trade War as an excuse.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/trump-denies-he-s-to-blame-for-harley-davidson-decision-1.3988999

do you think he is attempting to be misleading,
or do you think he is genuinely unable to discern that the Thailand move was due to TPP and the recent development is due to European tariffs

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: Tantrika]
    #25293579 - 06/26/18 06:38 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

And tax cuts. That was projected to happen in 18-36 months, and then there was this huge cash infusion.

I think Trump realizes quite a bit, and I think Trump does not care. Literally. I believe that he has quite successfully built a cult of personality around himself in which he can rewrite history to his needs. Hence all the "fake news" and all that. That was part of the plan. All he needs is for his base to spread the gospel until enough people drink the Kool-Aid and he becomes an actual king. Congress seems to not mind giving him any power he wants.

Offlineqman
Stranger

#25293637 - 06/26/18 07:07 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Psilynut2 said:
Quote:

It’s just the first bite of the shit sandwich .

“””The proposed U.S. tariffs on car imports will have far reaching negative implications for the whole auto industry, according to Moody’s Investors Service.
The research firm said higher tariffs will cause problems across the car industry’s global supply chain.”””

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/06/25/trumps-tariffs-on-auto-imports-will-hurt-entire-car-industry-moodys.html

Yeah, I'll listen to a Wall Street ratings agency to tell us what's in the best interest of the working man. They would never side with the interests of Wall Street. :flowstone:

Aren't these the same guys that told the world all the sub-prime bonds were AAA rated, how did that workout?

Offlineqman
Stranger

#25293640 - 06/26/18 07:09 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:

You better email Bernie and tell him his economic tariffs are a bad idea, and that globalization is working out great for the US working class.

Do you always flip flop depending on the political environment?

Offlineqman
Stranger

#25293644 - 06/26/18 07:15 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
I was listening to NPR earlier, and they had audio of some Harley worker saying even if he lost his job to tariffs he'd still vote for Trump and supports him 100%.

There are people ready and willing to make their own lives objectively worse for a perceived evil that has less evidence backing it up than climate change. Which they also deny.

"a perceived evil that has less evidence backing it up than climate change"

So the US doesn't have a massive trade deficit that has proven to screw the working class while getting the rich even richer?

You do realize that tariffs aren't meant to help every worker, but to help the OVERALL environment for US workers at the EXPENSE of corporate profits and shareholders?

Why are liberals siding with the Fat Cats on Wall Street once again?  You do realize investors HATE the idea of tariffs and they spent billions of dollars to pass US trade agreements in the past?

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25293711 - 06/26/18 08:09 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

The Ecstatic said:

You better email Bernie and tell him his economic tariffs are a bad idea, and that globalization is working out great for the US working class.

Lol @ you thinking i'm married to bernie, or that my opinions follow his, lockstep.

--------------------

Offlineqman
Stranger

#25293768 - 06/26/18 08:35 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

The Ecstatic said:

Lol @ you thinking i'm married to bernie, or that my opinions follow his, lockstep.

It must kill you that only Trump and Bernie are for economic tariffs, yet every other bought and paid for political whore is pro-globalization.

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: qman] * 1
    #25293868 - 06/26/18 09:33 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Weird i thought you said the "far left" was pro globalization

--------------------

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger

#25293993 - 06/26/18 10:53 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Yeah, I'll listen to a Wall Street ratings agency to tell us what's in the best interest of the working man. They would never side with the interests of Wall Street. :flowstone:

Aren't these the same guys that told the world all the sub-prime bonds were AAA rated, how did that workout?

According to the article there is going to be 25% increase foreign car parts... guess what I’m not going to be buying for my Porsche from a store called pelican parts out of LA anymore ? How is this going to be good for me ?

--------------------

Invisiblerelic
of a bygone era
Male

#25294357 - 06/27/18 07:14 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

The Ecstatic said:

because bernie sanders is now the president of the united states and has the ability to shape foreign policy on his own, right?  i realize that the right is seemingly never able to criticize or break ranks with their own, but many others often do.

or, you're just arguing in bad faith.  again. 

Quote:

qman said:

do you always make up shit about other people's ideology?  if not, you'll provide the quote where ecstatic said he supports bernie's tariffs proposals or retract that accusation, right?

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: relic] * 3
    #25294362 - 06/27/18 07:16 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

To qman i'm a liberal, a progressive, a socialist, and a communist.

These words all mean the same thing to him bc honestly why learn?

--------------------

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25294378 - 06/27/18 07:31 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

Kryptos said:

So the US doesn't have a massive trade deficit that has proven to screw the working class while getting the rich even richer?

You do realize that tariffs aren't meant to help every worker, but to help the OVERALL environment for US workers at the EXPENSE of corporate profits and shareholders?

Why are liberals siding with the Fat Cats on Wall Street once again?  You do realize investors HATE the idea of tariffs and they spent billions of dollars to pass US trade agreements in the past?

Sure, the US has a trade deficit. I have yet to see proof of how that screws the working class. Or particularly helps shareholders. Just like your views on immigration, you just kind of assume that everyone agrees it's bad. We...Don't. You've never adequately backed up either the claim that a trade deficit is bad or that immigration is bad.

Offlineqman
Stranger

#25294619 - 06/27/18 10:03 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Psilynut2 said:
Quote:

qman said:

According to the article there is going to be 25% increase foreign car parts... guess what I’m not going to be buying for my Porsche from a store called pelican parts out of LA anymore ? How is this going to be good for me ?

So it's all about you and one particular aspect of the policy?  Is that the best way to examine a policy that affects the US?

Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: relic] * 1
    #25294631 - 06/27/18 10:10 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

relic said:
Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

The Ecstatic said:

because bernie sanders is now the president of the united states and has the ability to shape foreign policy on his own, right?  i realize that the right is seemingly never able to criticize or break ranks with their own, but many others often do.

or, you're just arguing in bad faith.  again. 

Quote:

qman said:

do you always make up shit about other people's ideology?  if not, you'll provide the quote where ecstatic said he supports bernie's tariffs proposals or retract that accusation, right?

"provide the quote where ecstatic said he supports Bernie's tariffs proposals"

I know Fal definitely said he supported it, as far as ecstatic I swear he felt the same way in the past. I could be wrong and if he suggests otherwise, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Offlineqman
Stranger

#25294639 - 06/27/18 10:12 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
To qman i'm a liberal, a progressive, a socialist, and a communist.

These words all mean the same thing to him bc honestly why learn?

Labels are like so restrictive bro, why put labels on yourself, not cool.

Offlineqman
Stranger

#25294656 - 06/27/18 10:21 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

Kryptos said:

Sure, the US has a trade deficit. I have yet to see proof of how that screws the working class. Or particularly helps shareholders. Just like your views on immigration, you just kind of assume that everyone agrees it's bad. We...Don't. You've never adequately backed up either the claim that a trade deficit is bad or that immigration is bad.

Wow, this is amazing. You truly don't understand the mechanisms of US trade agreements and how they have created the largest wealth inequality in over 80 years.

What happens when a global company closes up shop in the US and sets up operations in China?  US workers lose their jobs and then the company uses cheap labor to enhance their profits as they export the product back into the US.  Great for shareholders and not good for unemployed worker, correct? 

Who promoted NAFTA and the other US trade agreements?  Yeah, that would be Wall Street/elite to enhance profits from cheaper labor. As a result, the US working class has suffered a continuing decline in the standard of living.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25294666 - 06/27/18 10:26 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

It's you that doesn't understand economics.

US manufacturing output saw its greatest increase after NAFTA went into effect.

As is now being demonstrated, unilateral Tarrifs lead to situations where manufacturers move their production out of the US to avoid paying them. The evidence is right In front of your face and you still ignore it.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25294674 - 06/27/18 10:28 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Tariffs wont help and neither will trade deals. Capitalism is the problem.

--------------------

Offlineqman
Stranger

#25294694 - 06/27/18 10:37 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
It's you that doesn't understand economics.

US manufacturing output saw its greatest increase after NAFTA went into effect.

As is now being demonstrated, unilateral Tarrifs lead to situations where manufacturers move their production out of the US to avoid paying them. The evidence is right In front of your face and you still ignore it.

Yeah, because they haven't been moving out the US for the past 40 years when the trade agreements into effect.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25294700 - 06/27/18 10:38 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Us manufacturing output is the highest it's ever been. Manufacturing jobs aren't lost to other countries. They are lost to automation.

Tax the robots.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Offlineqman
Stranger

#25294703 - 06/27/18 10:41 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
Tariffs wont help and neither will trade deals. Capitalism is the problem.

Yeah, I knew that was coming. How in the world could you agree with Bernie on economic tariffs when you don't believe in capitalism in the first place.

Why have trade tariffs when a dysfunctional government filled with corrupt bureaucrats can figure out the most effective form of distributing resources. :lol:

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25294710 - 06/27/18 10:44 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Capitalism is why our government is corrupt :cookiemonster:

--------------------

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: qman] * 2
    #25294714 - 06/27/18 10:45 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Oh look there’s s labor shortage in manufacturing. Why would companies want to set up shop in the US when there aren’t enough workers and the people who apply for jobs can’t pass a drug test?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/maryjosephs/2017/03/15/u-s-manufacturing-labor-shortage-how-to-make-your-company-a-happy-exception/amp/

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: qman] * 4
    #25294726 - 06/27/18 10:49 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

Kryptos said:
Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

Kryptos said:

Wow, this is amazing. You truly don't understand the mechanisms of US trade agreements and how they have created the largest wealth inequality in over 80 years.

What happens when a global company closes up shop in the US and sets up operations in China?  US workers lose their jobs and then the company uses cheap labor to enhance their profits as they export the product back into the US.  Great for shareholders and not good for unemployed worker, correct? 

Who promoted NAFTA and the other US trade agreements?  Yeah, that would be Wall Street/elite to enhance profits from cheaper labor. As a result, the US working class has suffered a continuing decline in the standard of living.

Everything that qman has said here is objectively false. Here is proof:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-manufacturing-dead-output-has-doubled-in-three-decades-2016-03-28

See that Us manufacturing graph *really* ramp up around 1994? The year that NAFTA passed?

According to your logic, we should see a sharp drop in manufacturing as companies close up shop and move to cheaper places, like Mexico, in this case. however, we do not see a drop in manufacturing.  We see a rise in manufacturing at home.

So, again, everything you said is objectively, provably, false. It also doesn;t explain why income inequality started really rising right around the time that union-busting and Reaganomics began. More than a decade before NAFTA.

I guess free trade agreements are so dangerous that they can alter the flow of time itself, eh?

EDIT: Upon closer inspection of that graph, it actually appears that the granddaddy fiscal conservative Jesus Reagan presided over one of the sharpest manufacturing declines in the last few decades. Must have been all that Free trade, right? Nothing to do with union busting or Reaganomics...

Edited by Kryptos (06/27/18 10:54 AM)

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: Kryptos] * 3
    #25294745 - 06/27/18 10:59 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Conservative economic theory has failed over and over again when put into practice. They keep trying and failing.

Remember Kansa’ experiment in trickle down economics? The gjvernmor literally called it a real world test . He resigned 7 years later with his state in massive debt.

Meanwhile Obama precided over the longest period of economic expansion and the longest bull market in history and he’s called an economic disaster.

Conservatives simply do not live in the real world 

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Edited by koods (06/27/18 11:02 AM)

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25294763 - 06/27/18 11:09 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I was under the impression that Kansas doubled down on trickle down economics when Trump was elected...It's just that they don't really have any money to "trickle down" anymore.

Offlineqman
Stranger

#25294781 - 06/27/18 11:17 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:

You mean crony global capitalism. :shrug:

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: Kryptos] * 1
    #25294783 - 06/27/18 11:18 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I think the legislature had an emergency session to reinstate some taxes which was veto proof which led trump to offer brownback an out to save face. He’s now America’s religious ambassador. Yup. He’s earning a federal salary to spread his religious bullshit around the world.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25294798 - 06/27/18 11:22 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

The Ecstatic said:

You mean crony global capitalism. :shrug:

No, capitalism in general. Capitalism rewards greed. Capitalism rewards screwing over the competition. And capitalism rewards the guy that can spend the most money.

Capitalism also happens to be a proponent of globalism. Why do you think Trump's MAGA hats and Trump's America! Hats from hurricane Harvey are all made in China?

Globalism isn't the problem. Globalism isn't what made American workers non-competitive. US exceptionalism, combined with the long standing Boomer threat of "go to college, you don't wanna be some dirty garbageman or assembly line worker" worked together to make American workers non-competitive. We've been taught these are jobs for the third world, why would we be surprised when only the third world is willing to do it at cost?

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25294812 - 06/27/18 11:27 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
Apparently the move was planned before the tariffs.

That was said by Trump. I will try to look it up or something.

If it was said by trump, there’s literally no evidentiary value in it. Someday you may figure this out: when you lie so often and so casually, nobody cares what you say

Most rational people should assume that anything trump says is wrong. Either because he’s lying or he’s too stupid to know the actual facts.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Edited by koods (06/27/18 11:28 AM)

Offlineqman
Stranger

#25294816 - 06/27/18 11:28 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Oh look there’s s labor shortage in manufacturing. Why would companies want to set up shop in the US when there aren’t enough workers and the people who apply for jobs can’t pass a drug test?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/maryjosephs/2017/03/15/u-s-manufacturing-labor-shortage-how-to-make-your-company-a-happy-exception/amp/

"there's labor shortage in manufacturing"

Maybe you should read your own link, it doesn't mention that at all.

The writer is speculating that there could be a shortage of labor in a decade. We can even forecast what's going to happen in two years, why the hell are they speculating 10 years into the future?  To push an agenda!!

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25294828 - 06/27/18 11:33 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Of course trump was lying.

TPP Pullout Spurred Harley’s ‘Plan B’ Factory in Thailand: After Trump left trade pact, CEO decided to shut U.S. plant

Quote:

Harley-Davidson Inc.’s chief executive officer said he decided to build a plant in Thailand when it was clear the U.S. would abandon the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the free-trade agreement President Donald Trump withdrew from last year.

The factory was the “Plan B” that Harley employed after the U.S. abandoned the trade pact with a bloc of 11 countries mostly in Asia, CEO Matt Levatich said in a phone interview.

“We would rather not make the investment in that facility, but that’s what’s necessary to access a very important market,” Levatich said of Thailand. “It is a direct example of how trade policies could help this company, but we have to get on with our work to grow the business by any means possible, and that’s what we’re doing.”

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25294836 - 06/27/18 11:38 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

koods said:

"there's labor shortage in manufacturing"

Maybe you should read your own link, it doesn't mention that at all.

The writer is speculating that there could be a shortage of labor in a decade. We can even forecast what's going to happen in two years, why the hell are they speculating 10 years into the future?  To push an agenda!!

http://www.kpax.com/story/38520573/montana-manufacturers-facing-workforce-shortage

Quote:

BOZEMAN - The manufacturing industry is experiencing a shortage of workers.

Jenni West, associate director of the Montana Manufacturing Extension Center at Montana State University says, “this year the percentage of manufacturers across the state that reported a shortage of workers doubled since last year.”

There's plenty of work happening in the manufacturing industry and more and more workers are always needed.

“So manufacturing, of course, is facing pretty intense workforce shortages, partially due to baby boomers retiring. We’re seeing a lot of people exiting the workforce, especially in manufacturing and we don’t have the skilled labor to back them up to fill those gaps,” said West Paw Manufacturing Training Manager Nikki Dixon-Foley.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25294841 - 06/27/18 11:39 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

How the fuck can conservatives govern anything when they live in some alternate reality?

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Offlineqman
Stranger

#25294851 - 06/27/18 11:48 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

Kryptos said:

Everything that qman has said here is objectively false. Here is proof:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-manufacturing-dead-output-has-doubled-in-three-decades-2016-03-28

See that Us manufacturing graph *really* ramp up around 1994? The year that NAFTA passed?

According to your logic, we should see a sharp drop in manufacturing as companies close up shop and move to cheaper places, like Mexico, in this case. however, we do not see a drop in manufacturing.  We see a rise in manufacturing at home.

So, again, everything you said is objectively, provably, false. It also doesn;t explain why income inequality started really rising right around the time that union-busting and Reaganomics began. More than a decade before NAFTA.

I guess free trade agreements are so dangerous that they can alter the flow of time itself, eh?

EDIT: Upon closer inspection of that graph, it actually appears that the granddaddy fiscal conservative Jesus Reagan presided over one of the sharpest manufacturing declines in the last few decades. Must have been all that Free trade, right? Nothing to do with union busting or Reaganomics...

So much wrong with this post.

"We see a rise in manufacturing at home"

When did I state otherwise? 

"everything you said is objectively, provably false"

You just made a long list of strawmans, what specifically did I say was false?  Also from your own link- "But the loss of good-paying manufacturing jobs has devastated the working class. Technological advancements and the rise of low-skilled manufacturing in China and other developing nations means fewer Americans working in factories....Most Americans now work in service-producing industries, where inequalities in opportunities, skills and income are more apparent"

As far as the decline starting slightly before NAFTA, you do realize that we started dealing with China and others before NAFTA started?  Either way, once NAFTA passed and China entered the WTO, everything kicked into high gear.

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25294883 - 06/27/18 11:58 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

"You truly don't understand the mechanisms of US trade agreements and how they have created the largest wealth inequality in over 80 years."

Okay. this is either irrelevant, since you're railing against policies that are barely 25 years old, or false. Pick one. False or irrelevant?

"What happens when a global company closes up shop in the US and sets up operations in China?  US workers lose their jobs and then the company uses cheap labor to enhance their profits as they export the product back into the US.  Great for shareholders and not good for unemployed worker, correct?"

Okay. This is either irrelevant, since you're saying that companies will move where it's cheapest to produce, or false. Specifically, because the US worker still benefits from cheaper production elsewhere by paying less at the store. Pick one. Irrelevant or false?

"Who promoted NAFTA and the other US trade agreements?  Yeah, that would be Wall Street/elite to enhance profits from cheaper labor."

It was a bipartisan effort heavily pushed by republicans. So yep....

"As a result, the US working class has suffered a continuing decline in the standard of living."

...AND false. Unless you can prove that union busting and Reaganomics (which set up NAFTA, by the way, with the CFTA), didn't play a role at all. Since you have no proof besides speculation I'm gonna say, again, FALSE.

Or, if you'd prefer, since we're talking about the "continuing" decline, and not the beginning of the decline, I'll settle for "irrelevant". Even though that, if anything, shows NAFTA did very little to cause the problems you are blaming on NAFTA.

So, are you wrong or do you have no argument? Pick one.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25295002 - 06/27/18 01:25 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Yes. US manufacturing kicked into high gear right after NAFTA went into effect.

This chart also demonstrates why nobody should ever vote for a republican president

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25295055 - 06/27/18 01:55 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

That's why most people don't.

The Republicans just abuse trust and legislative shenanigans to win. I gotta say, that in the last two years, the most pissed I'd ever been at the democratic party was when they took McConnell's promise at face value and stopped the government shutdown. Because three weeks later, it was clear to everyone (else) that he lied through his teeth.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25295058 - 06/27/18 01:57 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Republican presidents appoint activist judges. These people will sell their souls to get abortion rights overturned.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25295086 - 06/27/18 02:13 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not too worried about abortion, personally. One of my friends is an abortion doctor who has expressed disdain for the law on many occasions, so I'll still have access if needed. Plus, medical tourism will pick up the slack. There's already a not-insignificant number of people crossing the border to buy misoprostol.

Might hit middle america a bit harder. Either way, it's like banning drugs: Somebody is willing to do it anyway, the only difference is whether it happens in a hospital or a living room.

I think Democrats could learn a trick or two from Republicans. We should definitely pick up the "no compromise, no retreat" mindset. Maybe a "no prisoners, no mercy" mindset as well. We could do with less embracing the spirit of the laws as well, because the words have loopholes that we keep ignoring.

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

#25295191 - 06/27/18 03:14 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

TPP was never going to fly... whom ever got in office..... Hillary Clinton denounced the deal, despite fully backing it while she was secretary of state. I haven't read much about it, so I am clueless if it's good or not, but it never seemed a likely political reality.

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: qman] * 2
    #25295211 - 06/27/18 03:23 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

qman said :
  So it's all about you and one particular aspect of the policy?  Is that the best way to examine a policy that affects the US

Ya just me ,I’m the only one in the US with a used foreign car in their driveway that needs parts .

--------------------

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25295248 - 06/27/18 03:41 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Psilynut2 said:
Quote:

Quote:

qman said :
  So it's all about you and one particular aspect of the policy?  Is that the best way to examine a policy that affects the US

Ya just me ,I’m the only one in the US with a used foreign car in their driveway that needs parts .

Sounds like you should've bought a shittily made, all round mediocre, overpriced, gas hog, American car.

I'm still buying Chinese clothing. Even with a 25% tariff, it's still cheaper and better.

Quote:

SirTripAlot said:
TPP was never going to fly... whom ever got in office..... Hillary Clinton denounced the deal, despite fully backing it while she was secretary of state. I haven't read much about it, so I am clueless if it's good or not, but it never seemed a likely political reality.

I think it was a good thing. My cost of living went down, because it lowered tariffs on a variety of imports I use every day. Specifically, my clothing, and my car, which is Japanese. It also made my life a little easier from a company standpoint, I know we switched to a few Chinese chemical suppliers because they were cheaper. It also opened up the market for our goods quite a bit. I think the only people that lost in the TPP were the few struggling textile mills left in the US, but I can't say I care about that. It's a shitty job and it was non-competitive.

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger

#25295475 - 06/27/18 05:08 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Sounds like you should've bought a shittily made, all round mediocre, overpriced, gas hog, American car.

I have 2 newer cars that were built here .
I didn’t buy the Porsche .  I spent 4 years restoring an old Toyota Lancdcruiser  in my spare time , literally purchased two wheel barrels full of parts and then traded that for a 911 . I bought parts and bullshit from so many different stores , local and all over the country  I can’t even remember them all .
  I guess I won’t be doing that shit anymore . Sucks .

--------------------

Offlineqman
Stranger

#25295788 - 06/27/18 07:55 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
"You truly don't understand the mechanisms of US trade agreements and how they have created the largest wealth inequality in over 80 years."

Okay. this is either irrelevant, since you're railing against policies that are barely 25 years old, or false. Pick one. False or irrelevant?

"What happens when a global company closes up shop in the US and sets up operations in China?  US workers lose their jobs and then the company uses cheap labor to enhance their profits as they export the product back into the US.  Great for shareholders and not good for unemployed worker, correct?"

Okay. This is either irrelevant, since you're saying that companies will move where it's cheapest to produce, or false. Specifically, because the US worker still benefits from cheaper production elsewhere by paying less at the store. Pick one. Irrelevant or false?

"Who promoted NAFTA and the other US trade agreements?  Yeah, that would be Wall Street/elite to enhance profits from cheaper labor."

It was a bipartisan effort heavily pushed by republicans. So yep....

"As a result, the US working class has suffered a continuing decline in the standard of living."

...AND false. Unless you can prove that union busting and Reaganomics (which set up NAFTA, by the way, with the CFTA), didn't play a role at all. Since you have no proof besides speculation I'm gonna say, again, FALSE.

Or, if you'd prefer, since we're talking about the "continuing" decline, and not the beginning of the decline, I'll settle for "irrelevant". Even though that, if anything, shows NAFTA did very little to cause the problems you are blaming on NAFTA.

So, are you wrong or do you have no argument? Pick one.

The creation of the largest wealth inequality in over 80 years is "irrelevant" because the trade agreements/globalization have been happening in the past 30-35 years?  That makes ZERO sense. :facepalm: I understand correlation isn't causation, but it's certainly not "irrelevant" or "false".

"the US worker still benefits from cheaper production elsewhere"

OK, I understand that concept, but does the cheaper products outweigh the lower wage or lack of employment?  The proof is that the standard of living has dropped. The cheaper production primarily benefits the shareholder at the expense of the US worker.

"union busting and Reaganomics"

No argument here, they both contributed to the lower standard of living. But so did the trade agreements.

"shows NAFTA did little to cause the problems"

NAFTA is just one trade agreement, with that being said, the very link you posted stated the opposite of what you just claimed.

"you have no argument"

You're trying to make this a black or white issue. Is globalization/trade agreements 100% responsible for the massive wealth inequality we're seeing today?  No, and I have never stated it was. Is it a very large contributing factor?  Yes.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
    #25295972 - 06/27/18 10:02 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:

I know Fal definitely said he supported it, as far as ecstatic I swear he felt the same way in the past. I could be wrong and if he suggests otherwise, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

To be clear, I believe tariffs could be good under certain circumstances.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Offlinelowbrow
Paddy Time!!!!
Male

#25296306 - 06/28/18 04:28 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Harley Davidson has announced that due to EU retaliatory tariffs, they will be moving the production of motorcycles destined for the European market form their Wisconsin factory to other locations outside the United States. Additionally, they estimated they will lose $100 million in profits this year.

It's stunning how fucking stupid our current president is. This is what we can expect from now on. He doesn't know a god damned thing about economics and he's going to fuck this country over. If you voted for this moron, you should be ashamed.

Here's the SEC filling.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/793952/000079395218000038/a8-kitem701tariffdisclosur.htm

Quote:

The European Union has enacted tariffs on various U.S.-manufactured products, including Harley-Davidson motorcycles. These tariffs, which became effective June 22, 2018, were imposed in response to the tariffs the U.S. imposed on steel and aluminum exported from the EU to the U.S.

Consequently, EU tariffs on Harley-Davidson motorcycles exported from the U.S. have increased from 6% to 31%. Harley-Davidson expects these tariffs will result in an incremental cost of approximately $2,200 per average motorcycle exported from the U.S. to the EU.

Harley-Davidson believes the tremendous cost increase, if passed onto its dealers and retail customers, would have an immediate and lasting detrimental impact to its business in the region, reducing customer access to Harley-Davidson products and negatively impacting the sustainability of its dealers’ businesses. Therefore, Harley-Davidson will not raise its manufacturer’s suggested retail prices or wholesale prices to its dealers to cover the costs of the retaliatory tariffs. In the near-term, the company will bear the significant impact resulting from these tariffs, and the company estimates the incremental cost for the remainder of 2018 to be approximately $30 to $45 million. On a full-year basis, the company estimates the aggregate annual impact due to the EU tariffs to be approximately $90 to $100 million.

To address the substantial cost of this tariff burden long-term, Harley-Davidson will be implementing a plan to shift production of motorcycles for EU destinations from the U.S. to its international facilities to avoid the tariff burden. Harley-Davidson expects ramping-up production in international plants will require incremental investment and could take at least 9 to 18 months to be fully complete.

Harley-Davidson maintains a strong commitment to U.S.-based manufacturing which is valued by riders globally. Increasing international production to alleviate the EU tariff burden is not the company’s preference, but represents the only sustainable option to make its motorcycles accessible to customers in the EU and maintain a viable business in Europe. Europe is a critical market for Harley-Davidson. In 2017, nearly 40,000 riders bought new Harley-Davidson motorcycles in Europe, and the revenue generated from the EU countries is second only to the U.S.

Harley-Davidson’s purpose is to fulfill dreams of personal freedom for customers who live in the European Union and across the world, and the company remains fully engaged with government officials in both the U.S. and the EU helping to find sustainable solutions to trade issues and rescind all tariffs that restrict free and fair trade.

so much winning.

Harley-Davidson will provide more details of the financial implications and plans to mitigate the impact of retaliatory EU tariffs during the company’s second quarter earnings conference call on July 24, 2018, at 8:00AM CDT.

Big fucking deal.  Harley parts are fabricated in India.  They're ASSEMBLED in the US.  Hence, they can still say 'made in the USA'.  They've been foreign for a while.

--------------------
Amanita86 said:
Sui is trying to mod right now.  Kinda like a newborn calf tryin ta stand fer the first time ain’t it..

Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #25296489 - 06/28/18 07:43 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

qman said:

Which circumstances?

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: lowbrow]
    #25296898 - 06/28/18 12:18 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Lol. Now that trump is causing job losses, it's not a big deal. Expected response from a bootlicker.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25296973 - 06/28/18 12:52 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Trump does something good: i told you! Maga!
Trump does something bad: well it was actually the deep state/MIC/liberals/antifa/identity politics/SJWs/immigrants/urban thugs/globalists

--------------------

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25296992 - 06/28/18 01:06 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I think most of these trump supporters are lost causes. They aren’t serious people any more. They don’t think for themselves. The best hope we have is to marginalize them and ignore their idiocy.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25296998 - 06/28/18 01:07 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Remember when Presidents used to take responsibility for the good and the bad?  Remember "the buck stops here?"

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25297053 - 06/28/18 01:29 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Eh that was just a slogan. Truman didnt accept responsibility for much. He took flak for nuking Japan and then went right ahead and advocated nuking Korea next.

But the increase in partisanship makes it increasingly easy to deflect any and all criticism.

--------------------

Offlineqman
Stranger

#25297107 - 06/28/18 02:01 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
I think most of these trump supporters are lost causes. They aren’t serious people any more. They don’t think for themselves. The best hope we have is to marginalize them and ignore their idiocy.

You'll never survive 6 more years of Trump.

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25297183 - 06/28/18 02:40 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Generalizing large amounts of population based on single factors is what liberals do best. Because you voted for Trump, you are a Nazi. Because you are white, you are privileged. Because you are masculine, you are toxic. These types of ideas are dangerous. Democrats have insisted on these types of values since the downfall of slavery and they continue to support them today.

You can attempt to ignore us, but remember what that got you -- Donald Trump.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: XUL]
    #25297197 - 06/28/18 02:50 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Why do you guys keep calling yourselves Nazis?

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25297204 - 06/28/18 02:54 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Do you think you would have followed Hitler if you were a German. Attempt to consider the option without hindsight.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineThundermuscle75
Penis, usually hard
Male User Gallery

#25297215 - 06/28/18 03:02 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
Generalizing large amounts of population based on single factors is what liberals do best. Because you voted for Trump, you are a Nazi. Because you are white, you are privileged. Because you are masculine, you are toxic. These types of ideas are dangerous. Democrats have insisted on these types of values since the downfall of slavery and they continue to support them today.

Both parties have always been prey to those ideas.

Maybe with Trump you have to do the math. But it's 1+1 level math, not calculus.

When he says closing the borders will stop crime. It's pretty clear that he's blaming crime on immigrants.

--------------------

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25297221 - 06/28/18 03:03 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

XUL said:

Literally nobody talked about white privilege or toxic masculinity until a couple years ago.

But if you wanna pretend Democrats have been doing it since 1865 go right on ahead.

--------------------

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25297245 - 06/28/18 03:14 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
Do you think you would have followed Hitler if you were a German. Attempt to consider the option without hindsight.

Is this some kind of perverse justification for being a Donald trump bootlicker?

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25297249 - 06/28/18 03:15 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

No, it was just a random question for fun.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25297253 - 06/28/18 03:16 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

They have.

I think democrats, some of them, are smart people with good ideas.

I just hate identity politics -- no matter who is doing it.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25297255 - 06/28/18 03:16 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
Quote:

XUL said:

Literally nobody talked about white privilege or toxic masculinity until a couple years ago.

But if you wanna pretend Democrats have been doing it since 1865 go right on ahead.

Literally nobody was talking about nazis until XUL decided to call himself one

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25297256 - 06/28/18 03:17 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Fun is probably the last word i would use to describe a justification for joining the nazis.

--------------------

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25297259 - 06/28/18 03:18 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
They have.

I think democrats, some of them, are smart people with good ideas.

I just hate identity politics -- no matter who is doing it.

Is that why you cheer on Trump as he demonizes mexicans and muslims and uses nationalism to justify imprisoning children?

You fucking love identity politics, you just whinge when democrats do it.

--------------------

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25297261 - 06/28/18 03:19 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I said it as an example. I hope you can understand that.

People call republicans Nazis all the time. Should I provide you with 500 examples?

Don't be coy.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25297265 - 06/28/18 03:22 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

What the fuck does that have to do with your "so do yall think yall wouldve been nazis?" hypothetical?

Yo do you have a learning disability or something? You jump wildly from topic to topic and then get upset when we try to stay on one of them.

--------------------

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25297270 - 06/28/18 03:24 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

That's because you are being humorous. In the other thread, you conceded, so I posed a random question. In this thread, Koods knows what I am talking about, so I am simply asking random shyte.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25297281 - 06/28/18 03:31 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Lol what did i concede? That the Democratic Party has a history of racism? I never disputed that. Everyone with an internet connection knows that. I know this is something youve just discovered so you consider some knockout argument, but it isnt.

Hell, there are Democrats today who are racists. Thats why people are fed up and joining DSA, and/or forcing the Democratic party left.

--------------------

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25297287 - 06/28/18 03:34 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

What are the DSA?

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25297297 - 06/28/18 03:39 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

The Democratic Socialists of America. The organization of which Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez (the subject of the other thread you're currently posting in) is a member of.

--------------------

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25297298 - 06/28/18 03:39 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

But if you think affirmative action is racist youll probably think theyre racist too.

--------------------

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25297302 - 06/28/18 03:42 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I believe affirmative action is bad for outcomes and getting the best candidates for the best seat. Undergraduate programs aren't important because there are no lives involved, but when it comes to jobs, everything should be based on merit. Not everybody needs to go to Harvard. Forced diversity is sickening.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25297325 - 06/28/18 03:53 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

We wouldnt havs to force diversity if so many people werent so fucking racist.

We forced businesses to serve black people in 1965 and it made our society more inclusive.

If we all just waited around for racists to voluntarily change their mind we would still have fucking slaves.

--------------------

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25297327 - 06/28/18 03:55 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I can agree with that.

I just think there are better ways to go about it. I do sympathize for the black community. It is one community that I think deserves a little extra help, but at the same time, people like JLP think it is destroying their community and ability to create responsible men. I somewhat agree with him, which is why I think there are better solutions.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25297338 - 06/28/18 04:00 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

If youve got a better solution to forcing racists to stop being racists in the workplace I'd love to hear it.

--------------------

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25297345 - 06/28/18 04:08 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
If youve got a better solution to forcing racists to stop being racists in the workplace I'd love to hear it.

See, affirmative action does not stop racists from being racist. It just forces diversity in a place where there can be a better qualified person. And, the person could be Asian, which is not part of the "white patriarchy."

With that said, I don't know what the solution is. But if I hear a good one, I might think about voting for it.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25297353 - 06/28/18 04:11 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Affirmative action doesn't force diversity.  It forces companies to seek a diverse applicant pool.  There are no requirements to hire any specific race/ethnicity.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25297365 - 06/28/18 04:15 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Do you claim that schools do not have diversity quotas?

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25297368 - 06/28/18 04:16 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Schools can't have diversity quotas, but they can use race as a factor in admissions.  We're not talking about schools, though.  We're specifically talking about the workplace.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#25297371 - 06/28/18 04:18 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Ask yourself why you spend more time getting pissed off at black people in college than you do getting pissed off at latinx children being put in concentration camps?

You arent concerned about racism. You're concerned about protecting the privilege of your own race.

--------------------

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25297372 - 06/28/18 04:19 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25297390 - 06/28/18 04:28 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not watching your video.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25297395 - 06/28/18 04:30 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I wouldn't either. :shrug:

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineThundermuscle75
Penis, usually hard
Male User Gallery

#25297403 - 06/28/18 04:33 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Lol. Does that mean you didn't watch it?

--------------------

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: Thundermuscle75]
    #25297413 - 06/28/18 04:40 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I watched it when it was on TV.

It's an interesting story.

I said that because I don't usually like watching videos. Plus, I live in bumfuck nowhere and I have to pay for a hotspot, which means I can't really watch videos much.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25297677 - 06/28/18 07:18 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

XUL said:

I think, in a vacuum of information, it is safe to assume that somebody who voted for Trump did so because they support the policies of Trump. The policies of Trump focus on race baiting and scapegoats, which were both tools used by the Nazis to stay in power. Therefore, it would be reasonable to assume that a Trump voter, by supporting Trump, directly supports policies used to great effect by Nazis. If it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck...

Quote:

XUL said:
I can agree with that.

I just think there are better ways to go about it. I do sympathize for the black community. It is one community that I think deserves a little extra help, but at the same time, people like JLP think it is destroying their community and ability to create responsible men. I somewhat agree with him, which is why I think there are better solutions.

What's a "responsible man"? Because I've listened to JLP, and in all honesty he seems like the redpill forum found someone with some charisma. Most, if not all, of what he spews is the exact opposite of what I would describe as "responsible manhood". I would characterize it mostly as "toxic masculinity", which you mentioned earlier. This does not mean being a man makes you toxic, it simply means that certain choices that have historically been made by men in the name of "manliness" were counterproductive to society at large.

For example: you marry a girl you love, only to find out she's not a virgin. According to historic masculinity, you stone that bitch in the town square. How is this possibly productive in any way, shape, or form? You have, in one moment (a) killed someone you (presumably) loved, (b) wasted time that you could have been being productive and (c) struck fear into a segment of the population which is now going to be less involved in society (due to fear of it). And threw off the guy/girl ratio, meaning that there's less chicks to go around, so they're more likely to have an abundance mindset and get around, reinforcing the original problem.

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25297803 - 06/28/18 08:18 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I think, in a vacuum of information, it is safe to assume that somebody who voted for Trump did so because they support the policies of Trump. The policies of Trump focus on race baiting and scapegoats, which were both tools used by the Nazis to stay in power. Therefore, it would be reasonable to assume that a Trump voter, by supporting Trump, directly supports policies used to great effect by Nazis.

This is a gross mischaracterization of 60 million people who voted for Trump. Further, you can call Trump's policies racist, but I believe you are incorrect. I say this because the democrats are the ones with a history of racism that extends to today. Of course, you will not agree with me either.

The difference between you and me is that I do not break down and call people Nazis because I can't fathom someone else's viewpoint. Unlike you, I simply agree to disagree. I see you as a far left extremist condemning large groups of people based on skin color and sex. In my humble opinion, those kinds of condemnations are not true to American values of equality.

Quote:

>>Toxic Masculinity
For example: you marry a girl you love, only to find out she's not a virgin. According to historic masculinity, you stone that bitch in the town square.

Stoneings in America do not happen today and you seem to be attempting to use historical instances to debate current issues.

I refute leftist racism and sexism. I embrace meritocracy and equality for everybody.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25297813 - 06/28/18 08:25 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Just because Democrats are racist doesn't make trump and his policies any less racist. You seem to think that it's about good guys vs bad guys.  Democrats and Republicans are both the bad guys.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25297833 - 06/28/18 08:32 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Which policy do you think makes Trump racist?

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25297919 - 06/28/18 09:27 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:

Which circumstances?

In circumstances where the conditions in Ball's post aren't met.  For example, if a country has shitty labor laws, we should tariff the goods from that country.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 2
    #25297989 - 06/28/18 10:32 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

i don’t think all trump voters are racist. I think they are rubes. I think they have terrible judgement. I think anyone with a shred of common sense instinctively knew that Donald Trump is a totally ignorant and incompetent fraud. I would have looked at his supporters the way I look at someone who is stupid enough to hand over their life savings to a Nigerian email fraudster - someone so gullible yet greedy that they fall for the most obvious scam. Unfortunately, trump managed to win so instead these suckers have managed to fuck over the entire country.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

#25298003 - 06/28/18 10:45 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

'Fraud' is an eminently appropriate operative word for this man. All I can say is that shit is fucking surreal at this point. And that I cannot understand why this man has any supporters.

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25298011 - 06/28/18 10:48 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
Which policy do you think makes Trump racist?

Muslim Ban

"Shithole countries"

Mexican detention

Three off the top of my head, all within the last week.

Again. If you vote for a racist fuck, that means you support the racist fuck. Otherwise you don't vote. If you are pro-racist policies, that makes you a racist fuck in my book. Feel free to explain it away however you want, you're a racist. Just like the poor German guy that made sure the trains to Auschwitz ran on time. His poor Nazi ass swung from a rope, and it was glorious. From what he wrote in various diaries, it seems like he might not have liked some of Hitler's policies, but guess what? The fuck still showed up to work, bright and early, and sent millions to their deaths. And that's why he ended up at the bottom of a rope.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #25298039 - 06/28/18 11:03 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DividedQuantum said:
'Fraud' is an eminently appropriate operative word for this man. All I can say is that shit is fucking surreal at this point. And that I cannot understand why this man has any supporters.

It’s embarrassing as fuck to admit you’ve been duped

--------------------
NotSheekle said

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25298387 - 06/29/18 07:02 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:

This is why scientology still exists today.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinelowbrow
Paddy Time!!!!
Male

#25300129 - 06/30/18 02:05 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Affirmative action doesn't force diversity.  It forces companies to seek a diverse applicant pool.  There are no requirements to hire any specific race/ethnicity.

And that would be forced diversity.

--------------------
Amanita86 said:
Sui is trying to mod right now.  Kinda like a newborn calf tryin ta stand fer the first time ain’t it..

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: lowbrow]
    #25300410 - 06/30/18 08:57 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

How?

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

#25300574 - 06/30/18 10:29 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Quote:

DividedQuantum said:

Your right. If Trump doesn't go down after this investigation, the Dems fell for it too.....there is a tremendous amount of political capital about to roll in.

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25300583 - 06/30/18 10:36 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Fell for what?

23 indictments. 4 guilty pleas. Was I duped 1.5 years  ago when I said Paul Manafort and Michael Flynn would be indicted? The criminal behavior of Trump and his campaign are plainly obvious to anyone paying attention.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

#25300617 - 06/30/18 11:01 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Dude, if Trump doesn't get impeached and removed, doesn't matter how many people go down around him....it will be a sizeable victory, so much, that I am willing to wager a second term.

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25300623 - 06/30/18 11:03 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Wait hold up.

U can get impeached then get relected in the next election?

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

#25300639 - 06/30/18 11:10 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I saying he will get a second term if he doesn't get impeached.

To answer your question, yes, a president who was impeached, and not removed could run again, provided he has wasn't on his second term already.

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25300649 - 06/30/18 11:15 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Depends you can be impeached with or without the stipulation that you can’t hold the office ever again.

It has to be part of the impeachment process because there are no restrictions on anyoine being elected president except if you aren’t native born or over 35 or already been elected twice. If a serial killer on death row was elected president he would be sworn in as president. Probaly would be impeached immediate but there is no restriction to prevent even the worst criminal from becoming president

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25300651 - 06/30/18 11:17 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SirTripAlot said:
I saying he will get a second term if he doesn't get impeached.

To answer your question, yes, a president who was impeached, and not removed could run again, provided he has wasn't on his second term already.

I’m sure he won’t be relelected. He won because liberals were complacent that this country would elect someone so plainly unfit as trump. Now that it happened it won’t happen again. Remember he barely won. 80,000 votes in three state and lost the popular vote by a huge margin. His election was a fluke of the system more than anything.

Plus 90% chance we will be in a recession during the next presidential campaign. We’ve had almost ten years of economic growth. A recession would be hard to avoid before trump started cracking down on illegals creating a labor shortage and the tariffs which will kill this economy in very short order as they always have

Edited by koods (06/30/18 11:21 AM)

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25300959 - 06/30/18 02:01 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Very interesting.

Thanks for the Civics lesson :thumbup:

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25302678 - 07/01/18 01:16 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SirTripAlot said:
Dude, if Trump doesn't get impeached and removed, doesn't matter how many people go down around him....it will be a sizeable victory, so much, that I am willing to wager a second term.

I think you're both (a) right and (b) this is probably the saddest thing about America today. In 2020, we will likely elect someone on the criteria that "they didn't directly do the crimes their subordinates are all in jail for".

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25302692 - 07/01/18 01:23 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
In 2020, we will likely elect someone on the criteria that "they didn't directly do the crimes their subordinates are all in jail for".

Did Trump indirectly do the crimes his subordinates might go to jail for?  :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleMagicMush123
moon person
 User Gallery

Loc: Chinada Flag
    #25302842 - 07/01/18 03:05 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:

https://www.chrc-ccdp.gc.ca/eng/content/equal-employment-opportunities-0
The us doesn't have equal hiring rights programs?

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: MagicMush123]
    #25302867 - 07/01/18 03:20 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Why would you say that?

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

InvisibleMagicMush123
moon person
 User Gallery

#25302922 - 07/01/18 03:51 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Why would you say that?

Idk, was wondering if America had the same program that i posted. So if it does, there are requirements to hire a specific race or ethnicity

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25302973 - 07/01/18 04:23 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know how Canada's system works, but in the U.S. quotas are specifically illegal.  I don't see anything in the link you provided that indicated that employers are required to hire specific races, either.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #25302980 - 07/01/18 04:31 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

Kryptos said:
In 2020, we will likely elect someone on the criteria that "they didn't directly do the crimes their subordinates are all in jail for".

Did Trump indirectly do the crimes his subordinates might go to jail for?  :shrug:

Sorry, I misspoke. "They were never directly tied to the crimes their subordinates are all in jail for".

InvisibleMagicMush123
moon person
 User Gallery

#25303060 - 07/01/18 05:25 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
I don't know how Canada's system works, but in the U.S. quotas are specifically illegal.  I don't see anything in the link you provided that indicated that employers are required to hire specific races, either.

It says government regulated businesses are required to hire a certain amount of women, natives and visible minorities. Not all businesses,just ones regulated by the government. So for example in bc we have bc place stadium, which is owned by the government, so therefore they would have to comply and hire a certain amount of natives etc

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25303101 - 07/01/18 05:46 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

That's not what the link you posted says.  Maybe you're reading a different page?  Or maybe you're reading it wrong.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#25303107 - 07/01/18 05:50 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

MagicMush123 said:
Quote:

Enlil said:
Why would you say that?

Idk, was wondering if America had the same program that i posted. So if it does, there are requirements to hire a specific race or ethnicity

There may be diversity rules for government contractors. Minority owned businesses in the past have been given some preference for awarding contracts, but I don’t know if those rules still apply.

Seems like a minimum of 5% of the federal contracting budget is set aside for minority owned businesses.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Edited by koods (07/01/18 05:52 PM)

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25303324 - 07/01/18 08:19 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Fairly certain that diversity quotas are blatantly illegal. You don't *have* to hire minorities, you just have to give them equal consideration, or at least come up with a reason other than their skin color to not hire them. That's all affirmative action is.

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

#25303602 - 07/02/18 12:03 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Diversity quotas are not illegal in general. They may be in certain circumstances or locations.

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25303804 - 07/02/18 04:38 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

In the U.S., diversity quotas are illegal in almost every circumstance.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Invisiblerelic
of a bygone era
Male

#25303908 - 07/02/18 06:38 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Quote:

MagicMush123 said:
Quote:

Enlil said:
Why would you say that?

There may be diversity rules for government contractors. Minority owned businesses in the past have been given some preference for awarding contracts, but I don’t know if those rules still apply.

Seems like a minimum of 5% of the federal contracting budget is set aside for minority owned businesses.

for gov't contracting, minority and women (and maybe veteran?) owned businesses sometimes get preference when contracts are awarded.

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25303966 - 07/02/18 07:28 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Preference and requirement are two very different things.

Quote:

Brian Jones said:
Diversity quotas are not illegal in general. They may be in certain circumstances or locations.

You will have to find me an example or other form of evidence. I don't know of a single place where you're legally required to have a certain percentage of employees/students/whatever be a certain demographic.

Invisiblerelic
of a bygone era
Male

#25304354 - 07/02/18 11:29 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

i agree, there is a big difference between given preference and being required.

i've never worried about it when bidding on gov't contracts even though we're not minority or women owned.  we get what we bid on if we really want the job.

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

#25313118 - 07/07/18 09:57 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
Preference and requirement are two very different things.

Quote:

Brian Jones said:

You will have to find me an example or other form of evidence. I don't know of a single place where you're legally required to have a certain percentage of employees/students/whatever be a certain demographic.

https://www.abc15.com/newsy/diversity-quotas-in-the-office-wellintended-but-legally-tricky

As they say, it's dicey. Race and ethnicity can be used as factors, but not the only factors in hiring or college admissions.

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25313283 - 07/07/18 11:40 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Your link confirms what I and others have said:  Quotas are illegal.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinechristopera
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: Enlil] * 1
    #25314646 - 07/08/18 09:17 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

My company gets many government contracts as does a company I am advisory member of. U.S. (and state) government contracts absolutely have DBE (disadvantaged business enterprise) requirements. When a projects goes to bid they always outline minority and women participation as per the DBE guidelines. Now, the tricky part is actually meeting the participation. If none of the contractors placing bids on the work can meet those requirements generally the contractor that has the best price that gets the closest to meeting those DBE guidelines will be selected, and sometimes the requirement gets struck from the contract all together depending on the pricing and type of work.

By law, these DBE requirements are there in every single bid. For many federal jobs, as mentioned, veteran owned companies will get moved up the bid finishing order without regard to price. This is why veteran owned machine shops tend to do very well as they can outbid on lucrative aerospace jobs without having to cut prices to extreme levels.

Ninja edit: we often subcontract companies that are woman owned, African American owned, Native American owned, not because they are cheaper or better but rather because they provide a bidding advantage in that we often meet DBE requirements when others can't, as a result they automatically lose the bid as they didn't meet the basic requirements. The guessing game in bidding is that you can hope nobody meets the requirements and you out compete on price, or that you out compete on DBE and get to price high. You never know what your competitors will bring.

--------------------
Enjoy the process of your search without succumbing to the pressure of the result.

A Dorito is pizza, change my mind.

Bank and Union with The Shroomery at the Zuul on The internet - now with %'s and things

I’m sorry it had to be me.

Edited by christopera (07/08/18 09:23 AM)

Invisiblewaves

#25317254 - 07/09/18 05:58 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I thought Trump said he wouldn't allow this shit? I know he would never lie, though. I'm probably just missing something.

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Harley Davidson moving some production out of the US [Re: waves]
    #25318990 - 07/10/18 04:52 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

What's he gonna do? Without siccing the government on a specific business, which would be illegal, all he can do is screw US motorcycle production in general.

Of course, we could always just set the precedent that the president can legally ruin people he doesn't like, but that's a slippery slope. Corporations are legally people, so at that point, what's to stop the president from jailing people that aren't deemed patriotic enough?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates