Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePennyLane88
Flower Child
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Indiana Flag
Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: buried_totems]
    #25289882 - 06/24/18 08:03 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

buried_totems said:
Hey friends, I thought up one last question about fruiting in jars.

When applying the new layer of verm (after scooping out the old layer), do I need to sterilize the new verm by baking it or anything like that? Or just dump straight from the bag? I am a bit paranoid about contams.

I never sterilize verm. But if you feel you must bake it in the oven while it's damp

--------------------
::In a closed society, where everyone is guilty, the only real crime is getting caught::

:acidcat:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineburied_totems
The Wanderer

Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: PennyLane88]
    #25290009 - 06/24/18 09:38 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks!

--------------------

The golden rule of mushroom hunting and star voyaging? be patient.

OfflineSoulsearchin2018
Noob
 User Gallery
Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25290070 - 06/24/18 10:17 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

There's a hole on top for FAE

OfflinePennyLane88
Flower Child

Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: Soulsearchin2018]
    #25290511 - 06/25/18 07:25 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Soulsearchin2018 said:
There's a hole on top for FAE

I don't think there is ... I didn't make a hole .

--------------------
::In a closed society, where everyone is guilty, the only real crime is getting caught::

Offlineburied_totems
The Wanderer

Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: PennyLane88]
    #25291842 - 06/25/18 09:29 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Okay folks, I just did my very first jar fruiting process:

I used iso-wiped gloves and birthed the cake. It has receded significantly because it's squeezing the verm so tight, so it popped out easy. I rinsed all the verm off of it with cool water.

I put it back in the jar, trying to get as much liquid out of the jar and off the cake as possible. And then I put a new layer of verm over the top.

The issue is, the cake is significantly thinner than the jar, so some verm spilled over the sides of the cake and is now trapped between the cake and the class. Like, a non-negligible amount of it. Is this okay? Is the fact that I didn't dry the cake/jar with a paper towel before putting it back in ok?

I then misted the verm layer and the inside of a ziplock bag, then put the bag over the top of the jar.

Also I noticed how hard the cake was! I thought it'd be delicate, but man this thing is firm. Feels like a tennis ball. Is this okay? I've never touched a cake before.

--------------------

Edited by buried_totems (06/25/18 09:33 PM)

Offlinezpathos
TheOnlyYeeter
Male

Loc: OH
Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: buried_totems]
    #25294999 - 06/27/18 01:23 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

So, another newbie here sorry if questions have been answered (at work rn)

Im pretty far into it and seeing some good pin growth, however after skimming some questions and answers on some of these pages, I realized I may have done some things differently and would like clarifications if possible!

So I did dunk and roll. Left my cakes to sit in water for 24 hrs, then made a grave for the cake and put it back into the jar with new verm on top.

Ive read that you dont even have to dunk or roll them, and you could simply dump out old verm and replace. Does it matter if I proceeded with the dunk and roll? I mean pins are popping up everywhere so so far so good id imagine? I dont even have to wash the cakes? Just seems odd but hey its working.

Next, and probably my most concerning question, is pin growth on the sides... Nothing on top that I can see yet, but Im seeing a lot of pins on the sides in each jar. Should I let them grow in there or what? I read that it doesnt really impede on growth but idk I feel like theyd just stop growing once they "realize" theres no more room. Or will they start migrating up? If someone could clear that up for me that would be great!!

Im thinking of just making a SGFC while the pins are maturing.. But id like to avoid it if possible. Very limited space, dont have the materials right now! Could I still use the jar  bag idea, but let the cake sit in a bigger container? Should I just let em grow in the jar? I have like 6 - 7 pins on the sides of each jars so I dont wanna risk losing a lot of potential..

--------------------
"WHO THE FUCK IS DAVID. WHAT THE FUCK WHERE ARE WE. GODDAMN. FUCK DAVID IS COMING OH FUCKING NO." - "anon"

Offlineburied_totems
The Wanderer

Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: zpathos]
    #25295646 - 06/27/18 06:45 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

^ I am very curious about the answers to these questions.
I'm also waiting on answers to my own, posted just above his. Anyone? We noobs need some oversight here!

--------------------

InvisibleTormatoMFacebookDiscordReddit
The Goddess Kali Meh 😛

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25295689 - 06/27/18 07:06 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

buried_totems said:
Okay folks, I just did my very first jar fruiting process:

I used iso-wiped gloves and birthed the cake. It has receded significantly because it's squeezing the verm so tight, so it popped out easy. I rinsed all the verm off of it with cool water.

I put it back in the jar, trying to get as much liquid out of the jar and off the cake as possible. And then I put a new layer of verm over the top.

The issue is, the cake is significantly thinner than the jar, so some verm spilled over the sides of the cake and is now trapped between the cake and the class. Like, a non-negligible amount of it. Is this okay? Is the fact that I didn't dry the cake/jar with a paper towel before putting it back in ok?

I then misted the verm layer and the inside of a ziplock bag, then put the bag over the top of the jar.

Also I noticed how hard the cake was! I thought it'd be delicate, but man this thing is firm. Feels like a tennis ball. Is this okay? I've never touched a cake before.

A little verm down the side of the jar won’t hurt anything and cakes are going to be a little firm...when they consolidate the stiff up a bit.

From what I read above you’re good to go! Post pics when u can! :thumbup:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Tormato's Q&A Thread Post Questions Here or PM me!

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been." ~ Grateful Dead

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

Offlineburied_totems
The Wanderer

Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: Tormato]
    #25296078 - 06/27/18 11:29 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks! I don't have a daylight spectrum bulb. Should I sun the jar instead? I heard a rumor about 15 mins of sun per day being the fast pass for fruiting

--------------------

OfflinePennyLane88
Flower Child

#25296614 - 06/28/18 09:30 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

buried_totems said:
Thanks! I don't have a daylight spectrum bulb. Should I sun the jar instead? I heard a rumor about 15 mins of sun per day being the fast pass for fruiting

Don't ever put your jar in direct sunlight !

--------------------

OfflineSally Hatchet

Loc: Hole in the ground
    #25296637 - 06/28/18 09:40 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

buried_totems said:

I use indirect sunlight, just place it in a room with a window and you should be good to go

--------------------

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: Sally Hatchet]
    #25296657 - 06/28/18 09:50 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Direct sunlight can dry things out but for a species that grows in fields in the hottest and sunniest states in America yea sunlight is fine

The Goddess Kali Meh 😛

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25296658 - 06/28/18 09:50 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

buried_totems said:
I heard a rumor about 15 mins of sun per day being the fast pass for fruiting

:justno:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: Tormato] * 2
    #25296738 - 06/28/18 10:33 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

RR swore by it. Idk every now and then i take the lids off my tub and put them by an open window.

Sometimes i have to do the opposite of misting which is letting the surface dry a little because it was too wet. A 4' long shop light over the tub with the lid off for an hour or two works pretty good

The Goddess Kali Meh 😛

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25297014 - 06/28/18 01:14 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
RR swore by it. Idk every now and then i take the lids off my tub and put them by an open window.

Sometimes i have to do the opposite of misting which is letting the surface dry a little because it was too wet. A 4' long shop light over the tub with the lid off for an hour or two works pretty good

Tubs would be more plausible, but I don't think jars would be worth the hassle....15 minutes a day in direct sunlight?  :shrug:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

OfflineArmani
Learner
Male User Gallery
    #25297020 - 06/28/18 01:16 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Gonna go with this for my first try, thanks!

Offlineburied_totems
The Wanderer

Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: Armani]
    #25297624 - 06/28/18 06:56 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I stuck 'em in the sun a few minutes today and then read this and brought them back in. We don't get much indirect sunlight in here because of our north-facing windows. But we will see. How do I know if the verm layer is too wet?

How long does it take for pinning to start after you put a jar into fruiting anyway? And how long until harvest? Sorry, I really don't know!

--------------------

InvisibleBattyKodaS
WCA President

Loc: Boof Hard Or Go Home
    #25297734 - 06/28/18 07:46 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

You're over thinking it homie.

I checked on mine in the morning and once in the evening.
Sometimes only once.

Mist as needed.

I've only had the substrate dry out once and I believe that was because I had the dehydrator running in the same room.

My cakes have never dried out.
In the sgfc or the jar.

You should see beautiful tiny water droplets on your mycelium.
I held mine up to the light to see the gleam.
But it should be noticeable.

Pf Tek

Misted Cake Project

How it should and shouldn't look.

:goodluck: My Friend!

PS
Another thing that helped me was to put dry verm in a bowl.
View.

Then some hydrated verm in another bowl.
View.

You'll see the difference! :mushroom2:

Edited by BattyKoda (06/28/18 09:39 PM)

Offlineburied_totems
The Wanderer

Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: BattyKoda]
    #25298073 - 06/28/18 11:22 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Oh wow thank you. Great tips. How long from pin to harvest usually? How will I know when to harvest?

--------------------

Invisibleaudiosnipez
Sir BIgglesworth

Loc: West
    #25306107 - 07/03/18 09:10 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Hey Bod, this is my first grow so I want to use my jars and keep it simple.

I have 2 quart jars of rye berries that are 3/4 full. Should I just top those and go or do I need to take some of the culture out of each jar so they are only half way full? Would breaking up the mycelium to make jars half full hurt me using this process. 

Thanks for this right up man. I bought this old book written by Terrence McKenna and he uses jars like this but yours has less maintenance. Thanks for helping us get started cheap!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale