Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Loc: Dreamland
Re: How long does your coir remain above 140 degrees? [Re: rockpup] * 1
    #25280908 - 06/20/18 12:04 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I actually save my paper towels a lot of the time.

They are just soaked in ISO, so when I am done I just let them sit out or in the SAB or whatever, and they dry out. Then I soak them again next time and reuse

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How long does your coir remain above 140 degrees? [Re: pixelpopper]
    #25282258 - 06/20/18 10:58 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

But I suppose bad spawn can be very tricky to see sometimes.

It can be, especially if there's a lot of strongly growing mycelium overwhelming it. Keep an eye out for unusually appearing grains when you shake the jars, sometimes it becomes noticeable then.

--------------------

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male

Re: How long does your coir remain above 140 degrees? [Re: Kizzle]
    #25315011 - 07/08/18 01:06 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks everyone for your comments. I've taken some pictures of my recent attempt at bags... maybe you can take a look at it:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25315007

Thanks!

--------------------
--------------------
Deep pour soft agar plates-->bags of WBS-->Low Profile Monos
Clean spawn thread | Put a thermometer on your PC

OfflineN2confusion
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep down in South Missis...
Re: How long does your coir remain above 140 degrees? [Re: tedoro]
    #25322065 - 07/12/18 10:40 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Hi. Well I just bought a new toy. I bought a new sous vide cooker off Amazon.  It is amazing.  You can set the temperature and time the length of time it runs. I have some grow bags I bought a few months ago and finally used them. I loaded my substrate into the bag and sealed with a zip tie. I set the temperature for 160 degrees and 4 hours. I let it run at this temperature to pasteurize it. So far the spawn is running through like wild fire. I found this to be a little bit better than trying to watch the stove. It is a pretty good bargain at $70. I did a coir verm cow manure substrate mix brought to field capacity and put in the grow bags. I had previously had a lot of problems with contamination. So I did a whole house sterilization.  I added a UV light to my air conditioning unit and I replaced all my duct work.  I ran a ozone generator for 6 hours and used a fungicide in a humidifier  through the house. I am hopeful that my grows are going to work out from now own. I work on air conditioning equipment so I did all my own work. my old duct work were original from the building of the house. They were turns out the ducts were moldy. There is now new duct board installed.  I have one room that I use as my grow room. What i am doing now is to run the ozone generator for 30 minutes before I go in. Ozone kills everything.  I also built a laminar flowhood a while back. I know this might be overkill but I am hedging my bets.i also picked up some magnetic covers for my a.c. vents. I put them on before I doing any work in the room. I am not claiming to be an expert an any way. i just started playing around with this hobby 5 months ago.  I have been reading a lot of the older more experienced cultivtors tek's. I hope this helps

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How long does your coir remain above 140 degrees? [Re: N2confusion]
    #25322113 - 07/12/18 11:17 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I would be willing to bet most of us have pretty nasty duct work.

OfflineManifoldPrime
Per Ardua Ad Astra
I'm a teapot

Loc: South Africa Flag
Re: How long does your coir remain above 140 degrees? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25322191 - 07/12/18 11:58 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Hey OP, did you still have the issue? because you can verify 100% that your coir prep is the problem by just making extra control boxes with nothing but coir in them and labelling them with the date of the batch of spawn you're bulking. If they trich out at the same time, boom you've confirmed it.

I highly doubt it is the case that your coir prep is the problem, but then again I've seen experienced cultivators mention they switched brands of bricks because they were having higher rates of contams with a specific brand.

--------------------
My Magnum Opus:Thai Variety Comparison

Please correct me if I say something wrong!

| Current Trade Print Availability:Some PESA and RW available for South African posters. Snail Mail only. |

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: ally known as ... Flag
Re: How long does your coir remain above 140 degrees? [Re: ManifoldPrime]
    #25322207 - 07/12/18 12:12 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Sometimes the spores  (syringe, print what have you) are dirty... may be the case of you're certain with your sterile tek.. coir doesn't need, nor will be detrimented by going above 140, it's manure you need to watch temps with because of beneficial microorganisms that sterilization (vs pasteurization) kill off

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Loc: Dreamland
    #25322298 - 07/12/18 12:56 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
I would be willing to bet most of us have pretty nasty duct work.

I definitely, without a doubt have some nasty duct work

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25322317 - 07/12/18 01:03 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ManifoldPrime said:
Hey OP, did you still have the issue? because you can verify 100% that your coir prep is the problem by just making extra control boxes with nothing but coir in them and labelling them with the date of the batch of spawn you're bulking. If they trich out at the same time, boom you've confirmed it.

I highly doubt it is the case that your coir prep is the problem, but then again I've seen experienced cultivators mention they switched brands of bricks because they were having higher rates of contams with a specific brand.

Another good experiment to determine coir being contamination resistant

Buy a reptile and a terrarium then put bucket tek coir in it (directions are on the package) then see that it takes weeks and weeks before needing replacing even with a living thing shitting on it.

OfflineManifoldPrime
Per Ardua Ad Astra
I'm a teapot

#25322399 - 07/12/18 01:47 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Is that sarcasm :uhoh:

--------------------

| Current Trade Print Availability:Some PESA and RW available for South African posters. Snail Mail only. |

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25322425 - 07/12/18 02:01 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I use 180 degree water. It's usually at 135 right at or a little before the 2 hour mark.

Temp at 1 hour ish.

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25322437 - 07/12/18 02:07 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ManifoldPrime said:
Is that sarcasm :uhoh:

No it's what coir is made for... And it makes great reptile bedding because it doesn't go bad even after being hydrated

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25322471 - 07/12/18 02:40 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I just boil a gallon of water,and mix it in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, nice rubber gasket... have even boiled half, and added the other half (also boiling hot) an hour later with no issues

OfflineManifoldPrime
Per Ardua Ad Astra
I'm a teapot

#25322591 - 07/12/18 03:48 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Lol I know that. I just suggested that to OP because, like myself, he believes with his eyes and was adamant his problem was his coir. making controls is a scientific way of demonstrating whether your innoculant or medium is the problem. I still make control plates of agar if the batch is over 20 plates.

--------------------

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25322650 - 07/12/18 04:25 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ManifoldPrime said:
Lol I know that. I just suggested that to OP because, like myself, he believes with his eyes and was adamant his problem was his coir. making controls is a scientific way of demonstrating whether your innoculant or medium is the problem. I still make control plates of agar if the batch is over 20 plates.

I make control plates too! Lol

InvisibleStraight Mush
Mush lover
Male User Gallery

Re: How long does your coir remain above 140 degrees? [Re: tedoro]
    #25322819 - 07/12/18 06:24 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tedoro said:
I've been struggling with contams in my cubes>agar>rye mycobag>coir monotubes . And for the sake of this conversation, lets say its not my rye spawn, but rather the coir that is the problem. (I am confident with my spawn)

I've been doing a double water jacket bucket "improved bucket tek" and have been starting with boiling water, and ending with perfectly hydrated coir well above 140 an hour later. (wrapped in a sleeping bag) With this approach I was getting a one flush, then contams.

Then, in an attempt to make more hydrated coir at one time, I skipped the water jacket, and just put four buckets with coir and water in a sleeping bag and it too stayed above 140f after an hour. Albeit cooler than with a water jacket.

This second, cooler bucket procedure was a disaster. All my tubs contamed within 10 days. All other things were consistent. I'm also using different coir brands to rule that out. Same results.

My gut is saying that my coir prep is at the core of my problem (I am also not very clean when spawning) This forum would say that coir rarely spoils and that my problem is 99% caused by my spawn. I realize this, but for many reasons, i believe it to be my coir. I do not own an oven. How can I best troubleshoot my current situation. Do you have a coir prep experience similar to mine?

Hello sir I haven't read any of the replies but maybe you'll take something from what I have to say aswell.

You should use this Frank's pasteurization tek very easy and makes sure you've pasteurized correctly. Maybe some of the times and temps will help you.

In the summer I only get 2 flushes before I usually contam

--------------------
When in doubt refer to RR's infamous quotes via the search function

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How long does your coir remain above 140 degrees? [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25322877 - 07/12/18 06:57 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Caps McGee said:
Quote:

ManifoldPrime said:

I just consider the fact that not getting contaminants is my control. If you have contamination free plates well...

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25322902 - 07/12/18 07:10 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Straight Mush said:

Hello sir I haven't read any of the replies but maybe you'll take something from what I have to say aswell.

You should use this Frank's pasteurization tek very easy and makes sure you've pasteurized correctly. Maybe some of the times and temps will help you.

In the summer I only get 2 flushes before I usually contam

I think the point was that coir doesn't need pasteurized, manure does... Manure contains microorganisms that are beneficial, and thus pasteurization is ideal, coir doesn't contain these microbes, so full sterilization will suffice... contamination generally points to spawn, unless sub is caught before having a jump on colonization: which in turn, realistically, points to your spawn (if your ratio and water content are on point)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Quote:

Caps McGee said:
Quote:

ManifoldPrime said:

I just consider the fact that not getting contaminants is my control. If you have contamination free plates well...

:thumbsup:

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How long does your coir remain above 140 degrees? [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25323140 - 07/12/18 09:20 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Something I noticed is it's actually not all that unusual to find tiny bits of mold during colonization of coir if you really look, especially uncolored molds that turn green or blue on agar. It really got me thinking about the possible connection between strains and contamination. It seems like the times when I had the most problems were also the times where I was testing random isolated strains. Maybe sometimes you just get a strain that can't compete very well.

--------------------

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: How long does your coir remain above 140 degrees? [Re: Kizzle]
    #25323184 - 07/12/18 10:01 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Kizzle said:
Something I noticed is it's actually not all that unusual to find tiny bits of mold during colonization of coir if you really look, especially uncolored molds that turn green or blue on agar. It really got me thinking about the possible connection between strains and contamination. It seems like the times when I had the most problems were also the times where I was testing random isolated strains. Maybe sometimes you just get a strain that can't compete very well.

Interesting; not deep enough into my studies to relate...  yet! I love this shit!

EDIT: might this suggest there to be strains more resistant? Or do you feel like it maxes out with typical healthy mycelium?

Edited by Caps McGee (07/12/18 10:04 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom