Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Hot Plate, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFlordcram
🐧

Quick Pressure Cooker Question
    #25032372 - 03/02/18 12:12 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I've searched through the Shroomery forum and haven't seen a clarification to a recommendation about something recommended when using a PC: that is, not to manually depressurize cooker. I wanted to ask what does this recommendation refer to specifically -- not removing weight of the cooker, or not cooling cooker by rinsing in cold water? Also why not manually depressurize?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTheMilkMan84
Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

Loc: Caught somewhere in time
Re: Quick Pressure Cooker Question [Re: Flordcram]
    #25032406 - 03/02/18 12:25 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not entirely sure what it means to manually depressurize so I can't help you there, but it sounds dangerous- let the PC depressurize on its own. You won't be inoculating anything until it's cooled off anyway, which will be way after your pressure cooker has depressurized on its own. Don't get impatient and blow up your face or your kitchen.

--------------------

OfflineFlordcram
🐧

Re: Quick Pressure Cooker Question [Re: TheMilkMan84]
    #25032458 - 03/02/18 12:46 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

neither are dangerous. I've never pressure cooked anything and then waited till it depressurizes with the weight on. I imagine that'd take forever. And you can depressurize almost instantaneously by washing the side of a cooker in the sink with cool water. I just want to know what people mean by "not manually depressurizing" and why one wouldn't when prepping the jars.

OfflineC12H16N20
O G
Male User Gallery

Loc: can't get there from here...
    #25032482 - 03/02/18 01:04 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Growing shrooms involves patience.
Recommendations for doing everything are made with people's safety in mind.
When you purchase any product there are safety precautions to protect the general public from hurting themselves.
In this case, it is recommended that you use your PC, and not scald yourself, in addition, the jars that you sterilize need to cool down, way down, before you inoculate them.
Most instructions tell you to leave them be until the following morning, doing so protects you from burning yourself and
having your jars cool enough to be inoculated.
This being said, yes, of course, when it is cooled down, you could potentially release the pressure and eventually open it up, but with recommendations having your safety in mind, noone here would recommend that you do it.
Also, from the time that you take those jars out, you still have 6 or 7 weeks, possibly more,  to go before you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor, so what's the hurry?

InvisibleTheMilkMan84
Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

Loc: Caught somewhere in time
    #25032492 - 03/02/18 01:08 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

There's no need to rush opening your pressure cooker (whether it is in fact a safety concern or not). Whatever you have inside (jars, agar, etc.) will need to cool off before you can inoculate it. I usually PC in the evening and after it depressurizes, I'll take out my jars or plates and put them in my SAB. I won't inoculate them until the following day though, as the internal temperatures are still pretty high. If you're worried about that taking a long time, then you will grow impatient quickly with this hobby.

--------------------

OfflineFlordcram
🐧

Re: Quick Pressure Cooker Question [Re: TheMilkMan84]
    #25032586 - 03/02/18 02:27 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I appreciate the input, though we strayed from my original question. I'm shaking jars directly from PC immediately after cook in order to distribute moisture then store at room temp for 14 hr per Doc's WBS tek. I know leaving the jars in the PC until inoculation is a smart play as ya'll suggested, but I've got two sets of jars to PC so I have to take some out to be able to inoculate them all together. As for exploding pressure cookers, I've never heard of one exploding from depressurizing normally using the standard practice of taking off the rocker. Things usually explode if they have too much pressure and my 15 psi weight is not that much. Also, I learned hot things are hot and don't expect I'll be scalded by my cooker.
If anyone's heard of someone suggest not to manually depressurize a pressure cooker during sterilizations, I'd love to know what that meant. Thanks

InvisibleApples in Mono
Not a puppet

#25032634 - 03/02/18 03:28 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

If you manually depressurize your pc and remove the jars while still hot, they will cool in open air. As the inside of the jars cools(relatively rapidly) the internal pressure will drop. As the pressure drops, air will be drawn into the jars. This increased inward draw, plus the open air factor, will put an increased load on the GE filter, increasing the odds that any contaminant spores and/or particles will make their way into the jars. However, it seems to me that plenty of people remove their jars while still at least somewhat hot and don't notice a significant increase in contamination. Some like to immediately place the jars in their SAB to finish cooling.

Or something like that

OfflineThe Mycologist
Explorer

#25032661 - 03/02/18 04:20 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I do glass petris in my pc and I keep them from boiling over by doing neither. I turn the burner off and let it sit overnight until its cool.

--------------------
"That you are here—that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.”
― Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
:acidfire::tmckenna:

Offlinedelirrr
Stranger
Re: Quick Pressure Cooker Question [Re: The Mycologist]
    #25033023 - 03/02/18 10:46 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Why not just be safe and let it naturally depressurize by leaving it alone overnight... what's the rush

OfflineChuckaroomer13
Stranger

Re: Quick Pressure Cooker Question [Re: C12H16N20]
    #25034256 - 03/02/18 08:10 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Also, if you pull lid off pc too soon, jars could possibly crack.

OfflineFlordcram
🐧

Re: Quick Pressure Cooker Question [Re: Chuckaroomer13]
    #25034261 - 03/02/18 08:13 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Guys!

OfflineMycoBro48
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #25269823 - 06/15/18 01:26 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Chuckaroomer13 said:

thats what ive learned is one most important things thatll happen, yours jars crack or explode .:mushroom2::crazy2:but most of all like afew people commented ,its about being patient, if your not patient enough to wait for jars to cool ,its going to be hard for you to learn the difficult things in this hobby especial if you want to ever get into exploring cloning etc.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25270348 - 06/15/18 05:40 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Chuckaroomer13 said:

Your cooker won't let you remove the lid till the pressure hits zero anyway. And even if you could take the lid off too early it would scald the fuck out of you

Once the cycle is done take the cooker off the stove. Let it cool. When it hits zero you can take the jars out(yes they'll still be burning hot)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Hot Plate, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started