Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Injection Ports, Laminar Flow Hood, Magic Flight Launch Box, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Vaporizer, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineMagicTruffleDude
Stranger
 User Gallery

Has my pf tek gone bad?
    #25269325 - 06/15/18 07:32 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Its been about 10 days since I inoculated my pf tek jars.  This is my first time doing this.  They werent growing until I put the cabnet of jars outside every night.  Then I noticed a lot of growth due to the warm weather.  Anyway one of my jars has a kind of odd coloration.  Ill attach a picture here if it lets me.(edit* this forum wont allow jpegs)

If I keep letting it grow in the jar to see if it goes away it wont spread to the other jars right?  I should probably allow kt to keep growing?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Has my pf tek gone bad? [Re: MagicTruffleDude]
    #25269528 - 06/15/18 10:38 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

This fourm definitely allows jpegs. Use the image upload not the file attachment box.

OfflineMagicTruffleDude
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Has my pf tek gone bad? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25275296 - 06/17/18 10:29 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

https://files.shroomery.org/files/18-24/928843493-1529288373332-25543143.jpg

Its definitely gone bad.  Its the only one that grew too.  This is my first time growing.  Is it ok to put the cabinet with my jars outside at night to take advantage of the warm weather or is this a way that will contaminate?

Edited by MagicTruffleDude (06/17/18 10:30 PM)

OfflineMagicTruffleDude
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25275299 - 06/17/18 10:30 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

OfflinePennyLane88
Flower Child
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Indiana Flag
    #25275425 - 06/17/18 11:48 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Take the tape and foil off . Don't put them outside in the heat . Throw away that green jar asap .

--------------------
::In a closed society, where everyone is guilty, the only real crime is getting caught::

:acidcat:

OfflineMagicTruffleDude
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Has my pf tek gone bad? [Re: PennyLane88]
    #25275595 - 06/18/18 02:27 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, I threw away the bad jar and I took off the foil and tape.  I also put the cabinet in a spare bedroom with a heater where its around 80 degrees.  Ill get a thermometer tomorrow to make sure it doesnt get too hot.  Again this is my first time growing and I really appreciate yalls help.  Ive been watching a lot of videos and reading this forum.

OfflinePennyLane88
Flower Child

#25275965 - 06/18/18 08:24 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MagicTruffleDude said:
Ok, I threw away the bad jar and I took off the foil and tape.  I also put the cabinet in a spare bedroom with a heater where its around 80 degrees.  Ill get a thermometer tomorrow to make sure it doesnt get too hot.  Again this is my first time growing and I really appreciate yalls help.  Ive been watching a lot of videos and reading this forum.

80 is too high ! You want it in the lower 70s . Bacteria thrives at higher temps . Don't stress about it though, I made a TON of mistakes .. . Just keep reading and asking questions :smile: you'll be reaping the fruits of your labor in no time !

--------------------
::In a closed society, where everyone is guilty, the only real crime is getting caught::

OfflineGbabyslim
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Has my cakez gonne bad [Re: PennyLane88]
    #25276095 - 06/18/18 10:13 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

My cakes dried up on me so i redunked themfor about 14 hrs and rerolled tHem in verm now a couple days has passdd andnow they looking yellowish iz this normal wat should i do. Plzz helpme

OfflinePennyLane88
Flower Child

Re: Has my cakez gonne bad [Re: Gbabyslim]
    #25276103 - 06/18/18 10:15 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Gbabyslim said:
My cakes dried up on me so i redunked themfor about 14 hrs and rerolled tHem in verm now a couple days has passdd andnow they looking yellowish iz this normal wat should i do. Plzz helpme

1. Don't hijack someone else's thread.
2. Don't double post in two threads (I saw your post once already today ) just have some patience and someone will answer you .

--------------------

OfflineHoodafucisdat
Arnold stainless pusher
Male User Gallery

Loc: The desert
Re: Has my cakez gonne bad [Re: PennyLane88]
    #25276108 - 06/18/18 10:18 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Those yellow cakes no good. Put them in a hole along the north side of your foundation they may fruit

--------------------
I like mushrooms herbs and space. Arnold pushes steel

OfflineMagicTruffleDude
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25276288 - 06/18/18 12:07 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

PennyLane88 said:
80 is too high ! You want it in the lower 70s . Bacteria thrives at higher temps . Don't stress about it though, I made a TON of mistakes .. . Just keep reading and asking questions :smile: you'll be reaping the fruits of your labor in no time !

Ok i turned the temperature down.  The only reason i turned it up was because i saw a youtube video that said higher temperatures can grow twice as fast.  I need them quick.

OfflineMagicTruffleDude
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25277108 - 06/18/18 07:25 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I dont know what im doing wrong i inoculated two more jars thursday and theres no sign of growth.  I injected 3cc into each jar.  This looked a lot easier than its turning out to be.  I bought the new jars online so theyre supposed to be sterile and ready to go.  My house stays at 70 degrees exactly (pregnant wife) so thats why i had a heater.  Is there any way i can speed up this process? I use the mushrooms for medical reasons and im nervous ill run out.

OfflinePennyLane88
Flower Child

#25277127 - 06/18/18 07:32 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

It can take up to 2 weeks for growth to appear so don't stress yet !

--------------------

OfflinePennyLane88
Flower Child

#25277135 - 06/18/18 07:35 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Higher temps will make them grow faster ... because your mycelium will be doing a last ditch effort to battle off the contamination that comes with high temps . But once they are contaminated it's over with . So best bet is be patient with them. It won't happen overnight unfortunately... for us mushie lovers the wait is half the battle :smile:

--------------------

OfflinePennyLane88
Flower Child

Re: Has my pf tek gone bad? [Re: PennyLane88] * 1
    #25277187 - 06/18/18 07:54 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

P.s. Steer clear of random youtubers who claim to know what they're doing ... they normally do not. Lol your best bet is to read the PF tek on here . It has very detailed instructions for noobs :smile:

--------------------

OfflineMagicTruffleDude
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25277733 - 06/19/18 12:06 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I really appreciate the help. It has been kind of overwhelming seeing them go so slow.  I ordered a ton of spores so im going to inoculate more jars when they come in.  Hopefully these new ones go ok.

OfflineOpticz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Matrix
    #25278554 - 06/19/18 12:23 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

This hobby will teach you patience is key. I still get stressed when I don't see growth but its really not worth it to stress about. It just takes time so try to start working on something else and forget about them check them every other day or so. Having more projects going is how I get distracted from all my waiting times lol Good luck to you!

--------------------

OfflineTheMycMan
Industrial Mycologist
Male

Loc: Florida Flag
Re: Has my pf tek gone bad? [Re: Opticz]
    #25278768 - 06/19/18 02:47 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Warm is bad bruh. High 60s to high 70s only. Warmth is just a catalyst for bacteria and mold. Your fungi may not mind the warm temps but everything else loves the heat!

--------------------
Science can and will solve all of our problems. Science denial will destroy the world as we know it.

OfflineN2confusion
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep down in South Missis...
Re: Has my pf tek gone bad? [Re: TheMycMan]
    #25279140 - 06/19/18 06:02 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

On you next round of jars. Leave the foil on the top. It will act as a barrier. It will keep any particles from getting inside. I did it as an experiment.  I did a test group with some regular jars and left the foil on about half of them. I changed my lids to the plastic ones. I ordered some of the syringe filters and self healing injection port. I am trying to prevent tricadermia and other contamination.  I started 4 months ago on learning mycology.  I am a HVAC technician so i built my own laminar flow hood.  I had spare parts it also helps that i get contractors prices at the parts house.  To stop as much contamination as possible i did a full cleaning on my HVAC system.  I pulled and cleaned my air conditioning inside coil. I bought a UV light and installed it along with doing a duct cleaning.  You can purchase a ozone generator to kill everything else.  Get a cheap vicks vaporizer and buy some fungicide and run just your fan. Set the vaporizer in the return and let it run for 2 hours. That will kill anything that is in your ducts. If you have a buddy that is a ac technician you can do this pretty cheap. It will hedge your chance of not having contamination. I had a lot of failures and i was getting pissed.i picked up the mushroom cultivator by Paul stamets. That has a lot of good information. Another good one is the Magic mushroom bible. It is focused on just cubensis but it is updated. I am just cleaning up the contamination in my house and trying to win a war. When you walk you are stirring up 30 million particles per square foot. You will never have a 100% clean room but this might help. Doing these things has help me a lot. My success rate has increased. I am currently working qith tampanesis golden teacher and panaeolus cyanescens Jamaica. I started with b+. I want to say thanks to everyone who has posted here. It has been a get help. I hope that i can shed light on the subjects myself. If anyone has any questions just ask.  I have been doing hvac work for a very long time. I can walk you through the installation of a UV light. Or anything that is ac related.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Has my pf tek gone bad? [Re: N2confusion]
    #25279155 - 06/19/18 06:10 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Don't leave the foil on. It keeps your dry verm Barrier from drying out rendering it ineffective as a filter.

The shroomery has done a decade long experiement called collective experience and foil on sucks. Tens of Thousands of trials have already ruled out leaving foil on.

Your duct cleanliness couldn't matter less to your ability to do mycology work indoors. You would sooner be asthmatic before dusty ducts started causing issues to your cakes/tubs

TMC is only a good book to new people to the field. The more you learn the more Paul becomes a dumbass.

When doing sterile work you can have 0 particles get in your work. Regardless of your room having 30,000 or 30million particles. Same amount of precaution(flow hood or SAB + good techniques) avoids them regardless of their concentration

OfflineOpticz
Male User Gallery

#25279162 - 06/19/18 06:12 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

leaving the foil on prohibits GE. The dry verm layer is your protection against contams entering the colonizing part. If you build an SAB and use better technique then you will reduce contam rate by a bunch. Rather than go all out like the guy above start small. I have few contams and I don't have any of that stuff he just said I just made my SAB last week too. I used to do everything out in the open with maybe one jar every inoculation being contaminated. I did all my inoculations in a bedroom just closed the door sprayed Lysol and waited about 5 mins then went back in then inoculated. In no way am I saying that you shouldn't do what N2confusion but it seems like a lot. I did the PF tek 5 plus years ago and just decided to get back into it. Back then I didn't have a room like i do now i didn't take half as many precautions and I still only had one or two cakes contam out of 12

--------------------

OfflineOpticz
Male User Gallery

#25279165 - 06/19/18 06:14 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Well nvm Bod just said that. Sorry didn't see you posted that!

--------------------

OfflinePennyLane88
Flower Child

#25279302 - 06/19/18 07:19 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Listen to Bod . He's a pro. Ignore the HVAC master .

--------------------

OfflineN2confusion
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#25280435 - 06/20/18 10:03 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I was watching some of rodger rabbit's videos and ot had to do with brf cakes. It showed to leave foil of the jars. I did not leave the foil on the jar tight. It was loose and slightly sitting like a 1/4 inch above the jar lid. I am new to this so i am not claiming to be an expert. But since installing the UV light and cleaned my ducts my contamination rate has dropped.  I had set up grow tent a few months ago and everything contaminated.  I am just explaining what i did to improve my own grows. As the matter of my being a HVAC technician I know what it takes to build a clean room. I have built laboratory clean rooms so i do know what i am talking about. The uv light will kill mold and fungi spores and the fungicide was to sterilize the ducts. The ozone generator is cheap on Amazon get it for $70 run it for 3 hours and your house will smell like fresh laundry. The fungicide is $50 use 1 ounce to a gallon of water. It will last you years. You can get a UV light for $100 it will sterilize everything else that passed through your ac system. These are thing that you can do yourself.  Except the coil cleaning.  I am just trying to help. These things will improve your indoor air quality. I live in the deep South and we have a lot of pollen and fungi spores floating around. I am trying to improve my chance of have some nice grows. So far it has worked in my favor. if you live in Arizona your factors might be different. I have read Bod's write up.  I also happen to admit that i am new to this.

OfflineOpticz
Male User Gallery

#25280443 - 06/20/18 10:07 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I live in the south too. Lots of stuff growing around me and never have that much trouble. I just don't think the average person is going to spend the time or money with all that stuff when it's not necessary to grow. Especially for beginners, but that's just my 2¢.:cool:

--------------------

OfflineOpticz
Male User Gallery

#25280450 - 06/20/18 10:10 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

An SAB is like $10 and it will solve most of your problema. Great for a beginner cheap and easy to make. Alot of people here use them. Hell I think even some of the TC use them too, not trying to bash your set up or anything it sounds awesome it just seems a little intimidating to me and I love DIY stuff

--------------------

OfflinePennyLane88
Flower Child

#25280451 - 06/20/18 10:10 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I like your dog opticz :smile: reminds me of my childhood dog .

--------------------

OfflineOpticz
Male User Gallery

#25280453 - 06/20/18 10:11 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

PennyLane88 said:
I like your dog opticz :smile: reminds me of my childhood dog .

Thanks!

--------------------

OfflineN2confusion
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#25280545 - 06/20/18 11:13 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

It's cool. I did the SAB also. I just built a laminar flow hood 2 months ago.  My grows are finally working out. I was constantly getting contamination on my substrate.  Trichoderma was always showing up.  There was some mold growth. I had set some agar plates in open air to get some samples.  Most of everything i was speaking about you can look on YouTube to see how it is done. The ozone generator is cheap.  Ozone kills everything fugi mold dogs cats and house plants. I am just getting started myself.  So i guess that this is my own 2 cents. Man i am just trying to help.  I went from doing BRF cake to mini mono tubs. I had trouble with with the mono tubs. I had trouble set them up.  So i was reading about Bod's unmodified tubs. So far they are doing good. I have 6 mini tubs of panaeolus cyanescens going. I had my first fruit pop up last night. This weekend i got 15 jars of golden teacher spawn ready to go to tubs. I also have 2 6 pound bags of rye berries with tampanesis going. I was just trying to help out. If you ever think about it look up inside of your ac coil. It will be coated with mold. All i was attempting to explain was some easy things to do for yourself to improve your breathing air and also cut down on contamination. Look up on YouTube about coil cleaning.  Man i had one job it looked like mushrooms growing on the coil. It was fucking nasty. That was just last week. The guy had lived in the house for 13 years now and never did any maintenance.  I showed up to fix a blockage on the condensation drain line. His floors were flooded.  I stuck my head under there and it was just plain nasty. Wish i had a picture of it. I pull and clean my own coil every year. But until i started getting into mycology i did not have a UV light installed.  I am just letting you know that your ac unit is a breeding ground for mold. These are just some DIY things that you can do pretty cheap. I am not a attempting to argue with  anyone. This is just my experience. I can talk you through the installation of a UV light. The fungicide is ran through a cheap vicks vaporizer for 2 hours.  You can clean your coil with some mean green and a nylon brush. Not as good as a proper  cleaning  but it will work. The fungicide will work at killing anything else that you dont want.
Ok peace

OfflineMagicTruffleDude
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25281133 - 06/20/18 03:59 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks again to everyone giving me advice.  Im going to try to get good at this over time.  Ill probably be posting on here more in the future because its kind of hard getting started.

I woke up today and one of my 3 week old cakes seems to have some white in it!!  This is pretty exciting.  When i get home ill take a picture of it to see what yall think.  Hopefully its doing what its supposed to!  Good stuff

Edited by MagicTruffleDude (06/20/18 10:15 PM)

OfflineOpticz
Male User Gallery

#25281204 - 06/20/18 04:40 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Right on man let us see it when you can! It's always exciting seeing new growth!

--------------------

OfflineMagicTruffleDude
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25281532 - 06/20/18 07:36 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Looks like its maybe starting in this jar.  It took a long time to start.

Offlinehungamunga4u
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#25281858 - 06/20/18 10:00 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MagicTruffleDude said:
Thanks again to everyone giving me advice.  Im going to try to get good at this over time.  Ill probably be posting on here more in the future because its kind of hard getting started.

Today

It does take time.  Searching and reading past threads here has helped me a lot.  I've been doing this about 9 months and its quite a learning process.  I'm just now starting to realize how important every tiny detail in each tek is to the process.  Don't assume you know better.  Do some reading, be patient and follow each tek from trusted cultivators to the letter and you'll be just fine.  Then its all just developing your eye for surface condition.  Good luck bud!

OfflineMagicTruffleDude
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Has my pf tek gone bad? [Re: hungamunga4u]
    #25320528 - 07/11/18 02:28 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

hungamunga4u said:
Quote:

MagicTruffleDude said:

Today

It does take time.  Searching and reading past threads here has helped me a lot.  I've been doing this about 9 months and its quite a learning process.  I'm just now starting to realize how important every tiny detail in each tek is to the process.  Don't assume you know better.  Do some reading, be patient and follow each tek from trusted cultivators to the letter and you'll be just fine.  Then its all just developing your eye for surface condition.  Good luck bud!

You're right about every detail mattering.  Especially when it comes to sterile stuff.  I got 40 jars in the making now and its going good.  Ive learned a lot from this forum!

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Injection Ports, Laminar Flow Hood, Magic Flight Launch Box, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Vaporizer, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started