Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGrandpa
Oh, my achingback

Loc: Springfield
Help me debate the morality of my scam ;)
    #2216244 - 01/03/04 03:12 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, I'm 18 years old and in high school. I know with the clever nickname all of you thought I was elderly, but ah-hah! I've got you in my trap! Bwahahahahah! But seriously...

At my high school there is a graduation requirement. It is called CSIP. Community Service Involvement Program. It requires you join a club/sport (5 points each) or a do outside activities (walks, bake sales, fundraisers, volunteer work, etc) as long as you get it signed and authorized, at 1 point per hour of work, up to 5 per activity. Each year you are required to get 15 points of service, but senior year you need 20. If you mess up your CSIP, they hold you back from graduation, or if you skip a year and forget, you have to make up for it the next year. My class is the first class they set this up for, and ever class below me has the burden as well.

The thing is, it's awfully easy to scam thru the authorization. You just fill out a number/website on the sheet and there is one guy who calls the number and asks if the names are verifiable (that you did your service) or checks the website and browses around. If I were to set up say, a fake church, with fake volunteer programs, and fake sports, and all sorts of fake fun, would that be immoral? Mandatory service is like slave labor, and I bullshitted by every year.
They take this CSIP junk very seriously, but If i had a prepaid cell phone, i could use it for the phone number of the church, and just leave an automated sounding message saying all information is at our website and our office hours are now closed. Include a volunteer roster, and i'm set. All the expenses of the website/phone wold be make back by selling these points (almost instantly too). Lets say it costs me 50 bucks for this domain to stay up year round, and scam my way by.
With 5 points at 10 bucks a piece, being the only supply where points are purchasable, its a monopoly(High school economics, I LOVE IT!)
I get $10 for adding a name to a website roster. Once the website is done, it's just continuosly gaining. I'd have it so it wouldnt be traceble to me, and I already have a complex distribution scheme laid out. It's like a new type of drug, heh.

At 5 points for 10 dollars, and each person needing at least 15 points a year, thats 4000 people in my entire school who need 60,000 points (not including 900 seniors who need 20 points rather than 15, so that is an extra 4500 points on there). at 10 dollars for 5 points, thats a yearly max market of $120,000, solely going to me.

Is it immoral? Kids could be helping with the special olympics or running track but instead would be funding my drug use(not entirely for drugs, I'm sure, but it'd be exclusively paying for all my pot/shrooms/more) . How about it? It's a foolproof scam as it lays, and I know loads of people will be interested. As it lays now, I'm doing it, seeing as the cost to profit ratio is ridiculous. If the heat catches on, i'll just take the money, shut down the site, and bail, otherwise, everyone is fooled and I make out like a madman. I think I can make at least 1k-2k before the school year hits march and then the race is on for points before the year is over (deadline).

So right before summer break I'd make another 1k or 2k I figure, in the rush for points, and than graduate and have enough for a car or insurance or a pound of weed.

How goes it? Any qualms? I always feel bad scamming people, but if they're happy it's not really a scam is it? Or the best kind of scam leaves the victim unknowing he's a victim, and is there even a victim? The school really, but they lose no money.

I feel the sheer originality of the idea is enough reason for me to do it alone.

--------------------
I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs.
--Nancy Reagan, former First Lady

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemanbeef
psychedelicfarmer

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Vancouver, BC
Re: Help me debate the morality of my scam ;) [Re: Grandpa]
    #2216250 - 01/03/04 03:35 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

sounds like quite the plan. There is money to be made here. You're not really scamming anyone, just the school, and who cares about that. The biggest problem I can think of is if your operation is found out, probably all of the people who had bought these points will have to re-earn them, and that could mean that some wouldn't be able to graduate, and that would make em pretty pissed. And remember, not everyone can keep their mouth shut about this kind of stuff, word could spread, the wrong people could find out, and it's all over. So your main dilemma is, are you willing to risk screwing all of these people over to make some cash?

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2216271 - 01/03/04 04:17 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Nah you're going to get busted.... I'd say just give that idea to somebody else and JUST DO THE SERVICE MAN its not that hard :wink:

I know its easy to cheat, but come on community service at my school was kinda cool - I went to a couple soup kitchens and worked at a fair to take care of my points.. Its good to get a bit of strange work experience under your belt.

But hey it sounds like that "scam" would work, as long as you didn't get busted - whenever people start selling test answers or cheat-sheets or anything of the sort around my school, they get rocked after a while because too many people find out about it.

Regardless, GOOD LUCK

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: Help me debate the morality of my scam ;) [Re: Strumpling]
    #2216317 - 01/03/04 06:14 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

You think no one would think of visiting the church itself? You'll have to list an adress for it, anyway, and when you do, it can be easily verified.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2216459 - 01/03/04 09:34 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Stone said:
You think no one would think of visiting the church itself? You'll have to list an adress for it, anyway, and when you do, it can be easily verified.

My thoughts exactly. Besides, if you want to make that much money, like you said, it would require a large number of participants. The would-be popularity of your "scam" will ultimately be its demise.

Sorry, but this sounded liked like a dead-end plan from the start. And no, no where close to 4000 of your student body will not participate in your scheme (some people have morals, or like to volunteer). The "originality" and the confidence you have in this idea is utterly derisory!

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2216477 - 01/03/04 09:53 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

When I was in high school we were required to do 40 hours of "community service" in order to pass one of our Religion classes (I was in Catholic school...).

So I went over to my grandpa's housing complex and delivered fliers to all the houses. It took me about 45 minutes.

My grandpa signed the sheet and wrote "40" in the space for hours completed :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Anonymous

#2216516 - 01/03/04 10:34 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #2216557 - 01/03/04 11:11 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I say you do community outreach to help hookers leave abusive pimps. A friend of mine did that after getting out of the Marines and spent 3 wonderful year living with 2 girls rent free and getting all the p**** he could handle. All he had to do was protect them from abusive johns and otherwise leave them alone.

I don't know how your school would look upon this, but it's the RIGHT thing to do.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Anonymous

#2216591 - 01/03/04 11:37 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Help me debate the morality of my scam ;) [Re: ]
    #2216715 - 01/03/04 01:14 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

and helping them get laid ;0

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2216726 - 01/03/04 01:19 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Ok, I'm 18 years old and in high school.

That awfully young to be a grandpa. :smirk:

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Anonymous

Re: Help me debate the morality of my scam ;) [Re: Strumpling]
    #2217105 - 01/03/04 05:49 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #2217224 - 01/03/04 06:43 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

If you live to scam, don't you think by the end, YOU will be scammed?

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

OfflineGrandpa
Oh, my achingback

Loc: Springfield
Re: Help me debate the morality of my scam ;) [Re: Deiymiyan]
    #2217354 - 01/03/04 07:50 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i do think by the end I'll be scammed, but either way, we all get scammed eventually. It is America, home of the free.

Here, check this out (and dont tell anybody!) :wink:
http://www.freewebs.com/evilbry/bbbc/index.html The volunteer section is still rudimentary and i need to register the domain.

I'm not going to be selling it personally, I have 2 friends each selling it, and if I make any more sites (Erosion prevention, Save a hooker fund, The 2004 free Micheal Jackson Walk, whatever) I have other people ready to sell it. The web sites had addresses but never would the school go so far to check an address. I'm able to register a domain under father terry randolphs name :smile:

If anything, my two friends will be narced on, and if they're questioned, their names wont be on the site, they wont have any evidence, and all i'd need to do is bail before the heat catches on. Sure, some people would be mad, but I'm sure the school would let them make up 5 hours.

I think it's the scam of the year for me :-D My final high school scam, it almost brings a tear to my eye. I'll miss these wreckless days.

--------------------
I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs.
--Nancy Reagan, former First Lady

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2217833 - 01/04/04 02:34 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineShroomFan
nn dmt

#2525441 - 04/04/04 06:32 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

sounds like something I would do...you have a good plan but make sure you cant be caught..I mean traced. Set up the website from the school or any comp but your own..Be very legal about things when taking money from peeps. If you get caught deny deny deny

--------------------
Fellow Shroomerites, if you Love expressing yourself with a dope tee shirt feast your 3rd eye on www.facebook.com/vicereversa
∞ Conscious Clothing for Conscious Minds ∞ Wear a tee , open a mind
Each shirt is spawned to Arouse Awareness <> We believe in Sustainability & Giving back <> Do you know of a community project or persons in need you feel deserves attention? - Tell us on our page And we just might pick the story > develop a tee > and donate the proceeds to that cause. ∞♥∞ Unget it, VICE REVERSA

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #2525483 - 04/04/04 06:47 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I say go for it, that would be hilarious.  Although I'm going to have to charge you 20 bucks for moral support.  :smirk:

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

InvisibleKthxBye
bandito furioso

Loc: bottom of the noob barrel
    #2525601 - 04/04/04 07:29 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I had about this plan my senior year only my thought was to form an actual non-profit...

never did get around to it and graduation came fast

--------------------
I know what he wants: a drag of smooth tobbacco blended with the finest Turkish Turkweed. Here, have a toke on me you dumb beast.

Offlinef8L
Triumph

#2525663 - 04/04/04 07:48 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I've heard of some dumb scams in my day, but this one tops it off. Not only would it not working because of the suspicious caused by multiple people signing up for a single church, but it would also be the talk of the student body--and once that happens, you my friend are F-U-C-K-E-D.

I would imagine there would be creative ways to 'get around the system'-- but really, get off your damn computer and do some volunteer work... what the hell has society come to?

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #2525799 - 04/04/04 08:36 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

1. i wouldn't pay you for community service points
2. not many would...forget about your 6 figure dream
3. what would the school think if 4k kids did the same service?
4. you would get busted and in big trouble by your school

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag