Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Calcium Carbonate, Choline, Oyster Shell, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinehypnoticem
Stranger
Where to find free used egg shells?
    #25255729 - 06/08/18 11:39 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I'm looking for creative ways to find used egg shells. The solution which initially presents itself is asking friends and family to save their egg shells, but surely we can't get more ingenious than that? I am interested in collecting such shells to test it out as a calcium supplement for my plants. Because of this, I would be less inclined towards excitement with store bought eggs than I would with self raised chickens, as I have heard that factory farm egg shells are less nutritious and carry more pathogens. Maybe I could try to find nearby farmer,  who may have so much as to not be happier than to give away what is to them trash? I would raise chickens myself though it isn't practical when considering my living situation.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDorfnob
J.U.I.C.E.

Re: Where to find free used egg shells? [Re: hypnoticem]
    #25255774 - 06/08/18 12:04 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Bakeries, breakfast chain restaurants or just eat lots of eggs yourself

Offlinemmcc
Stranger

Re: Where to find free used egg shells? [Re: Dorfnob]
    #25255831 - 06/08/18 12:42 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

i use quail eggs smaller and probably degrade quicker

InvisibleLipa Kreepa
Antisocial People Person

Loc: Where ppl are herded and ... Flag
Re: Where to find free used egg shells? [Re: mmcc]
    #25255931 - 06/08/18 01:36 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

You could always just buy local eggs, or organic, cage-free. As far as a restaurant or whatnot that might have the grade youre looking for, good luck. Ive only seed purchases of the large boxes of cheap, $1/dozen shit. Since theres such a large demand for them in dishes and recipes, the idea of buying such a high grade of eggs wouldn't be very cost effective. Now if its a ritsy, organic type restaurant, perhaps there. Although keep in mind, that an actual compost farm might have beat you to it. The organic, fair trade, more wholesome ingredient places tend to have contracts w farms. We do at my job, and my ex who worked coffee had one as well.

If you dont have space for chickens, then just buy some good eggs and save em. Ive done it, its not that bad. I eat eggs all day anyway, so i just rinse off the shells and put them into a plastic pitcher w a paper towel ontop. They build to the top, then I drop all onto a baking sheet and heat in the oven, to sanitize and fully dry. Then crush for tea, Ca extraction, or composting. I wanna say that eggs shells are like 93-98% calcium carbonate... just as sea shells, oyster shells and snail shells. So whatever shells you end up w, youll get your calcium.

:heart:

--------------------
LOVE LIFE AND LIVE IT HARD!

'Great Spirit, today, let me touch the Earth so the Earth can touch me.'

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'" -- Vonnegut

A monkey w/out his jungle is just an inmate-- :heart:lipa

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Europe
Re: Where to find free used egg shells? [Re: Lipa Kreepa]
    #25256035 - 06/08/18 02:48 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I ask my girlfriend to save them.
You´d be suprised how much it gets with time.
We are 4 in the family and most like eggs.

--------------------
A wise rat has many holes

OfflinePinkTarantula
Male

Loc: Georgia Flag
Re: Where to find free used egg shells? [Re: Mateo]
    #25256052 - 06/08/18 02:58 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I’m drawing a blank as well. Like LK said, finding good ones will make it even more difficult. Also, the trouble of saving the eggshells and just giving them away for free would likely spoil the deal for most places. Unless maybe you offered daily pick-up. That would quickly become troublesome. You can buy fairly large quantities of crushed oyster shell/coral that is sold for chickens that may be of use to you. There are also several sources of crushed crab shell. Those may work for your intended purpose although they do of course cost money. I’d say start eating lots of omelettes.

--------------------
:discorex:

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Europe
Re: Where to find free used egg shells? [Re: PinkTarantula]
    #25256179 - 06/08/18 04:06 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

If you know someone at a bakery or similar that can save up some for you.
Otherwise, start eat omelettes and scrambled egg brekfasts.

--------------------
A wise rat has many holes

Offlinehypnoticem
Stranger
Re: Where to find free used egg shells? [Re: Mateo]
    #25265000 - 06/13/18 08:12 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, I ended up switching up my diet a little bit. I was completely vegan, with no eggs, but I'm aiming for the macrobiotic diet, meant to exclude processed and sugary foods. When the eggs are organic and cage free, I do not mind eating an egg. My problem only comes from the horrific qualities of mass produced products of such a nature from factory farms. Anyways, I will likely have plenty of shells now :tongue2: Thank you all for adding what you have, I always love such input!

Offlinehypnoticem
Stranger
    #25265002 - 06/13/18 08:13 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Where do you get quail eggs?

OfflineDGB
Stranger
    #25265005 - 06/13/18 08:22 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

does it have to be egg shells?

avian egg shells are just calcium carbonate with some binder, the same material makes up beach sand, oyster shells, lime stone chips, ect ect is there a reason you specifically want your calcium carbonate in chicken egg shell form and not something more available or designed for horticultural use?  i mean it would make sense if you were in a position were you had a constant ecess of egg shells and was looking for a productive way of disposing of them, but it sounds like your actively trying to source them. 

is there a specific reason you want egg shells? because if your looking purely for a way to supplement your soil with some calcium there are numerous cheaper/better options

Edited by DGB (06/13/18 08:30 AM)

Offlinehypnoticem
Stranger
Re: Where to find free used egg shells? [Re: DGB]
    #25265149 - 06/13/18 10:21 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

The reason I would be more interested in the use of eggshells is that if I use them regularly in my diet, it seems that it will come out to be cheaper than something I only use as fertilizer. It seems that I can make eggs a regular accessory of my diet largely for the protein and choline. The reason I hesitate to buy things beyond what I could use for food is that I am not financially set, as there are several drawbacks there, so I am attempting to save much more than I would normally.

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
    #25265222 - 06/13/18 11:13 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I will be growing mushrooms for/in an art academy soon and we will be using coffee grounds and eggshells from the restaurant / cafe. It doesn't even seem that huge yet the amount of eggshells that are yielded, baked along with cakes and powdered is mindboggling to me.
Would be amazing if just one person could produce a significant amount but idk how much you grow. Oh oops this is for plants of course lol..

So yeah indeed you could try getting it from a restaurant but esp if you make it interesting for them to put in the effort keeping them separate on top of their sort of stressed work, it would definitely have to be easy for them - not like them having to bake it too (or dry/freeze like coffee grounds).

Either way, calcium carbonate is not really very bioavailable to plants unless there are acids at play to liberate some of the calcium.
I've used antacids for calcium and magnesium, with citric acid.. but I can't yet say how quickly this can lead to overdosing (would also depend on how much of which acid you would add and it stabilizes itself with the soil pH and a degree of buffering and leeching of the minerals).

Edited by Solipsis (06/13/18 11:19 AM)

Offlinemmcc
Stranger

#25265256 - 06/13/18 11:39 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

i jar my eggshells in water after i make hardboiled eggs. after 3 days youll have liquid fertilizer and you dilute that with water youll have a good amount for your needs, probably

Offlinehypnoticem
Stranger
    #25265416 - 06/13/18 01:18 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Using it for mushrooms? Hmmm, I'll have to look into that:cool: Yea, I was aware of the lack of bioavailability of the calcium, I have been using the White Distilled vinegar I had laying around. I just pour in some vinegar with the eggshells and wait a while, then I decant off the liquid and dilute it in water. While vinegar is very acidic, supposedly it reactions with the eggshell in such a way as to neutralize such acidity. There's a great video I found over doing this, I'll have to find it later.

InvisibleFeroxx
Master of the Green Fist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cruel sun
    #25270193 - 06/15/18 04:13 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

ime egg shells dont react noticeably with any kind of vinegar, then i tried w these sort of lemon juices from supermarkets and they react similar to cola + mentos, never tried w regular lemon juice, but it probably should work too

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Calcium Carbonate, Choline, Oyster Shell, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden