Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes * 1
    #25252181 - 06/06/18 01:52 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I was bored and decided to throw this together. It took about 30 minutes.

Parts List

1: A box €10
2: Two things from the kitchen cupboard, that I hope the wife forgets existed.  €1.50 each (but I won't know the real cost of using these until she finds out they're gone).
3: Two Holes (free at your local DIY store)
4: Long Rubber-Gloves (if you want to use it as a glove box) €3

Instructions:

1: Wait till the missus isn't around.

2: Misappropriate 2 plastic things from the kitchen, that taper towards the bottom and your forearms will fit through.

3: Cut a 3 inch section from each of the plastic things.

4: Place the narrow end of the plastic thing about 12 inches from centre and about 8 inches from the bottom of the box, then mark around it with a black marker. A black marker is essential, as I couldn't find any other colour. If you have more than one arm, repeat this step the opposite side of centre.

5: Go through your box of holes until you find two that fit nicely inside the circle you just marked. Any type of hole will do. It doesn't have to be an expensive one.

6: Carefully place the holes into position. This is a one-shot deal, so make sure you place them correctly first time.

7: Insert the plastic things into their respective holes, and fix them in place with some hot-snot.

If you want to use it as a glove box, feel free to add some gloves at this stage(correct polarity is essential, or you'll have to work with your hands behind your back and use a mirror to inoculate).

Stay tuned for next week's thrilling episode... "Fully automated fruiting chamber, in more than 30 minutes"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: The-Doc] * 1
    #25252204 - 06/06/18 02:01 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Detach the gloves and it will be perfect.

Glove box is bunk tek. Everyone just uses a box with holes cut in it to keep the air still.

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #25252230 - 06/06/18 02:10 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:
Detach the gloves and it will be perfect.

Glove box is bunk tek. Everyone just uses a box with holes cut in it to keep the air still.

The plan is to fit a cheap HEPA filter into the lid, then seal the lid properly with a soft rubber gasket and connect a vacuum cleaner to the box.
It's a cheap system to get a friend up and running. I have a flow hood for my own stuff :thumbup:

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: The-Doc]
    #25252277 - 06/06/18 02:35 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

What you described is the exact opposite of a flowhood and a bastardized sab. It will suck in dirty aor all over your open media, who cares if it has a filter on the exhaust lol?
Your flowhood works by blowing clean air over your open media.

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: JHOVA]
    #25252296 - 06/06/18 02:44 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

JHOVA said:
What you described is the exact opposite of a flowhood and a bastardized sab. It will suck in dirty aor all over your open media, who cares if it has a filter on the exhaust lol?

I think you misunderstood my post. The HEPA filter in the lid is the inlet. The vacuum cleaner will be connected to the bottom rear of the box, creating negative pressure in the box and causing a pressure differential, which will in turn cause clean air to enter through the filter.
In essence, it's exactly the same as a flow hood :thumbup:

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

#25252299 - 06/06/18 02:48 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The-Doc said:
Quote:

JHOVA said:

I think you misunderstood my post. The HEPA filter in the lid is the inlet. The vacuum cleaner will be connected to the bottom rear of the box, creating negative pressure in the box and causing a pressure differential, which will in turn cause clean air to enter through the filter.

I see what your saying. I wonder if that'll end up working well. If so, that would be such a cheap alternative to a flow hood.

Offlinek5hd2y
Depersonalized & Complete
 User Gallery

#25252302 - 06/06/18 02:50 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

That looks like a nice idea for doing organic chemistry at home tho.

Please post when you finish the hepa and vacuum. Would like to see that experiment when it's finished, even if it's no good for agar g2g etc:popcorn:

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #25252342 - 06/06/18 03:05 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Those arm holes are too small. Going to be a metric pain in the dick to work in there. Then you'll be like still air boxes suck. 

You absolutely do not want attached gloves.

The sgfc and monotub are far less work and more automated than every single "fully automated" thing with humidifiers and air pumps attached. And they 99% of the time don't even produce mediocre resilts.

Hepa filtered air is absolutely useless if its turbulent. It will just whip contamination around off of surfaces you could only sanitize, like all the interior walls of the box.

In essence it's not even close to a flow hood.

You'll be like nah I know what I'm doing. Fuck you nay sayers. Then in a few weeks if you actually still keep with it thru all of the failure you needlessly caused yourself you'll make the I'm sorry you guys were right. I followed directions and now I actually have results.

Your filter box is the same thing every noob engineers. It's failed for the last 20+ years.

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: k5hd2y]
    #25252347 - 06/06/18 03:07 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

flyhighfunguy said:
Quote:

The-Doc said:
Quote:

JHOVA said:

I see what your saying. I wonder if that'll end up working well. If so, that would be such a cheap alternative to a flow hood.

Quote:

k5hd2y said:
That looks like a nice idea for doing organic chemistry at home tho.

Please post when you finish the hepa and vacuum. Would like to see that experiment when it's finished, even if it's no good for agar g2g etc:popcorn:

So long as the box lid and filter are sealed properly, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.
I have a soft rubber seal for around the lid, and I think the negative pressure inside the box should be sufficient to suck the lid down enough to form a proper airtight seal.

If it works as planned, it should be a very cheap alternative to a flow hood.

I had planned on making this a couple of years ago when I first started out but I got all OCD and built a proper flow hood.

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25252424 - 06/06/18 03:42 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Those arm holes are too small. Going to be a metric pain in the dick to work in there. Then you'll be like still air boxes suck. 

You absolutely do not want attached gloves.

The sgfc and monotub are far less work and more automated than every single "fully automated" thing with humidifiers and air pumps attached. And they 99% of the time don't even produce mediocre resilts.

Hepa filtered air is absolutely useless if its turbulent. It will just whip contamination around off of surfaces you could only sanitize, like all the interior walls of the box.

In essence it's not even close to a flow hood.

You'll be like nah I know what I'm doing. Fuck you nay sayers. Then in a few weeks if you actually still keep with it thru all of the failure you needlessly caused yourself you'll make the I'm sorry you guys were right. I followed directions and now I actually have results.

Your filter box is the same thing every noob engineers. It's failed for the last 20+ years.

Thanks for your condescending reply.

Firstly, you have no idea what size those holes are. My arms fit in easily with loads of room to work when they meet in the middle.

Secondly, I know exactly how a laminar flow hood works. But thanks for reminding me.

Fortunately, I've already built my fully automated fruiting chamber, and it's working very well. But thank you for your concern.

We wouldn't progress much if nobody decided to do something different, would we!

This was my first attempt at the fruiting chamber.

And it seems to be working just fine.

I'm currently building V2, with a few more bells and whistles. I'm sure that'll raise your blood pressure a bit more :grin:

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: The-Doc] * 1
    #25252444 - 06/06/18 03:49 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Well hopefully you can dial it in to perform as well as my bookshelf and ziploc baggie. Also automatic, as automatic as any house plant. Mist it a couple times a week. Less work than filling a humidifier and cleaning one by a long shot.

It's easy to tell the size of the holes, they're in the same size tub that all of us have dozens of and have cut our own holes into. Looks just like my very first sab. Coffee can arm holes are barely big enough for comfortable work.

You've got it programmed for 99% humidity which isn't what they want anyway. Only less than a half inch from the surface of the cake should humidity be that high. Chamber humidity can and should be 50-80% and fluctuating is good. So that the cakes can evaporate.
Cakes usually want to explode with pins. If they don't you know your conditions need adjustment

I know I'm such a fucking condescending dick teaching people how to make cakes and substrates grow 10x more mushrooms than your cakes for absolutely no pay. And even helping you after the typical noob reply to this kind of thread that happens at least once a week.

Do you want mushrooms or do you want to automate for conditions you're guessing on from dated info you read? If you've never grown prolifically off of your cakes or any substrate how are you going to know what to dial it in for?

Mist two three times a week. Spritz spritz. Your automated set-up should do at the very least as well as this to be anywhere close to worthwhile. The only reason this isn't automated is because i had to harvest it lol.

My blood pressure couldn't possibly ever rise posting on the shroomery lol. This is a pass time, I just like to see people pull off shit like this after simply reading the posts here.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25252322#25252322
Quote:

Mycillyum said:
Woke up this morning and it was harvest day! Shoebox harvest was 300+ grams wet and one 66qt was 2043g wet! Got some pretty decent size guys also some little guys. Still have another 66 a 54 and a shoebox to harvest.
I thank you guys at the shroomery for helping me get to this first flush! Special shout out to Bod and his easy AF teks. Works like a dream!

I get these threads and my inbox chock full of similar daily. I am in no way upset if you don't like my very straightforward and to the point good advice.

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25252544 - 06/06/18 04:48 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Well hopefully you can dial it in to perform as well as my bookshelf and ziploc baggie. Also automatic, as automatic as any house plant. Mist it a couple times a week. Less work than filling a humidifier and cleaning one by a long shot.

It's easy to tell the size of the holes, they're in the same size tub that all of us have dozens of and have cut our own holes into. Looks just like my very first sab. Coffee can arm holes are barely big enough for comfortable work.

You've got it programmed for 99% humidity which isn't what they want anyway. Only less than a half inch from the surface of the cake should humidity be that high. 50-80% and fluctuating is good. So that the cakes can evaporate.

I know I'm such a fucking condescending dick teaching people how to make cakes and substrates grow 10x more mushrooms than your cakes for absolutely no pay. And even helping you after the typical noob reply to this kind of thread that happens at least once a week.

Do you want mushrooms or do you want to automate for conditions you're guessing on from dated info you read? If you've never grown prolifically off of your cakes or any substrate how are you going to know what to dial it in for?

I didn't come here asking for anyone's help in growing. I'm doing quite well at that already, but thanks all the same.

I don't see why you're trying to make this into a competition. You're not the only person on the planet who's allowed to experiment with growing techniques. And as I said, I'm having good results from this. Better than the results I had with a standard SGFC.

And yes, I can dial the FC in to any temperature or humidity I desire. The pictures above are purely for illustrative purposes.
The controller can be programmed to set the exact temperature and keep it there. Same with the humidity, or I can program different values for different times of day if I like. The lights in the chamber are also programmable, as is the room temperature.

V2 will have the air in the chamber refreshed every X hours, with inlet and exhaust fans running through activated charcoal filters. It will have logging, so I will know what happens and when. It also has a WiFi connection, and a camera, so I can see what's going on and control the chamber from anywhere in the world.

I like experimenting and automating shit, and so far this is working just fine. You don't have to like it but the world would be a dull place if we all did the same thing. :thumbup:

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25252601 - 06/06/18 05:26 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Posting on a discussion forum is inherently asking for advice, criticism, and of course discussion.

You don't have to like it but we're here to make people successful.

If you can't manage excellent results(evidenced by you saying this is doing better) then you still need to figure out how to get excellent results before you'll be able to program something to emulate those conditions that provide those results. There's no tool in mycology that will replace your eyes.

No one's saying you can't experiment. We're just trying to help you avoid reliving history because these particular"experiments" have been done countless times. Because it's the obvious path. But trial and error has led us to simpler methods that are funnily quite a bit more automated than any automated setup ive ever seen posted. I can find carbon copys of this exact thread for days.
Note two trends from that links.
No results you want to emulate
No veterans making those threads.

If you get great results and are amazed by your own work you are far more likely to continue to persue mushrooms as a hobby. None of us want you to duck out because of back luck with shrooms.
A 99%rh chamber is a recipe for mold contamination.

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25252747 - 06/06/18 06:36 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The-Doc said:
Quote:

JHOVA said:

This is a recipe for disaster. I would not advise you follow through with this, or that anyone else try it themselves. This is not how you make a clean work space, at all. :thumbdown:

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
No one's saying you can't experiment. We're just trying to help you avoid reliving history because these particular"experiments" have been done countless times.

dude you are like the 500th person this year to post this exact same dumb idea. listen to what bod is saying.

Edited by Munchauzen (06/06/18 06:47 PM)

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: Munchauzen]
    #25254340 - 06/07/18 02:22 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

My first cake will be finished tonight.

This one is from a syringe I made from an Amazonian print back in 2016.

Not too shabby for an FC tek that doesn't work :wink:

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25255620 - 06/08/18 08:34 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Not tea bag for a first flush :wink:

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25255643 - 06/08/18 08:46 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, all were saying is they do that good or better with no gadgets and less work. So the gadgets should make them do REALLY good.

Nice shrooms

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25255715 - 06/08/18 09:31 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Ok, all were saying is they do that good or better with no gadgets and less work. So the gadgets should make them do REALLY good.

Nice shrooms

Cheers :thumbup:

I'm still not done experimenting. I'm only just starting, and I won't stop until I'm 99% happy with repeatable results.

It's a hobby for me, and if I can combine this hobby with my main hobby (electronics) I'm happy as a pig in shit.
I don't want to simply adopt someone else's method and leave it at that. I'm constantly looking at ways to make things work better.
As you know well, growing anything perfectly is an exact science, and providing/emulating the conditions that these things thrive in, and being able to maintain those conditions in a controlled environment, regardless of external factors like temperature/humidity, is what I'm aiming for. Granted, I'm only at the beginning of that journey, and this FC was merely a proof-of-concept. I still have a lot of work to do on it, not least hundreds more lines of code for the controller.

I've no doubt I'll make a bollocks of it at some stage, but I'll learn from any mistakes and move on. It's all a learning curve but I'm happy enough with the initial results.

Cheers :thumbup:

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

#25255749 - 06/08/18 09:53 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Growing something perfectly is not an exact science, it's an art.  You have to coax the stuff into existence, and controlling it all with electronic controllers is about as bad as transhumanists trying to live forever, cause "technology".

Don't disgrace the art.

--------------------
Ὡς οὖν εἴπεν αὐτοῖς ὅτι Ἐγώ εἰμι, ἀπῆλθον εἰς τὰ ὀπίσω, καὶ ἔπεσον χαμαί.

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: naturalistic123]
    #25255756 - 06/08/18 09:57 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Besides, these are mushrooms and not even plants.  They grow on shit and all kinds of weird stuff.

--------------------
Ὡς οὖν εἴπεν αὐτοῖς ὅτι Ἐγώ εἰμι, ἀπῆλθον εἰς τὰ ὀπίσω, καὶ ἔπεσον χαμαί.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds