Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes * 1
    #25252181 - 06/06/18 01:52 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

I was bored and decided to throw this together. It took about 30 minutes.

Parts List

1: A box €10
2: Two things from the kitchen cupboard, that I hope the wife forgets existed.  €1.50 each (but I won't know the real cost of using these until she finds out they're gone).
3: Two Holes (free at your local DIY store)
4: Long Rubber-Gloves (if you want to use it as a glove box) €3

Instructions:

1: Wait till the missus isn't around.

2: Misappropriate 2 plastic things from the kitchen, that taper towards the bottom and your forearms will fit through.

3: Cut a 3 inch section from each of the plastic things.

4: Place the narrow end of the plastic thing about 12 inches from centre and about 8 inches from the bottom of the box, then mark around it with a black marker. A black marker is essential, as I couldn't find any other colour. If you have more than one arm, repeat this step the opposite side of centre.

5: Go through your box of holes until you find two that fit nicely inside the circle you just marked. Any type of hole will do. It doesn't have to be an expensive one.

6: Carefully place the holes into position. This is a one-shot deal, so make sure you place them correctly first time.

7: Insert the plastic things into their respective holes, and fix them in place with some hot-snot.

If you want to use it as a glove box, feel free to add some gloves at this stage(correct polarity is essential, or you'll have to work with your hands behind your back and use a mirror to inoculate).

Stay tuned for next week's thrilling episode... "Fully automated fruiting chamber, in more than 30 minutes"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: The-Doc] * 1
    #25252204 - 06/06/18 02:01 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Detach the gloves and it will be perfect.

Glove box is bunk tek. Everyone just uses a box with holes cut in it to keep the air still.

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #25252230 - 06/06/18 02:10 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:
Detach the gloves and it will be perfect.

Glove box is bunk tek. Everyone just uses a box with holes cut in it to keep the air still.

The plan is to fit a cheap HEPA filter into the lid, then seal the lid properly with a soft rubber gasket and connect a vacuum cleaner to the box.
It's a cheap system to get a friend up and running. I have a flow hood for my own stuff :thumbup:

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: The-Doc]
    #25252277 - 06/06/18 02:35 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

What you described is the exact opposite of a flowhood and a bastardized sab. It will suck in dirty aor all over your open media, who cares if it has a filter on the exhaust lol?
Your flowhood works by blowing clean air over your open media.

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: JHOVA]
    #25252296 - 06/06/18 02:44 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

JHOVA said:
What you described is the exact opposite of a flowhood and a bastardized sab. It will suck in dirty aor all over your open media, who cares if it has a filter on the exhaust lol?

I think you misunderstood my post. The HEPA filter in the lid is the inlet. The vacuum cleaner will be connected to the bottom rear of the box, creating negative pressure in the box and causing a pressure differential, which will in turn cause clean air to enter through the filter.
In essence, it's exactly the same as a flow hood :thumbup:

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

#25252299 - 06/06/18 02:48 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The-Doc said:
Quote:

JHOVA said:

I think you misunderstood my post. The HEPA filter in the lid is the inlet. The vacuum cleaner will be connected to the bottom rear of the box, creating negative pressure in the box and causing a pressure differential, which will in turn cause clean air to enter through the filter.

I see what your saying. I wonder if that'll end up working well. If so, that would be such a cheap alternative to a flow hood.

Offlinek5hd2y
Depersonalized & Complete
 User Gallery

#25252302 - 06/06/18 02:50 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

That looks like a nice idea for doing organic chemistry at home tho.

Please post when you finish the hepa and vacuum. Would like to see that experiment when it's finished, even if it's no good for agar g2g etc:popcorn:

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #25252342 - 06/06/18 03:05 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Those arm holes are too small. Going to be a metric pain in the dick to work in there. Then you'll be like still air boxes suck. 

You absolutely do not want attached gloves.

The sgfc and monotub are far less work and more automated than every single "fully automated" thing with humidifiers and air pumps attached. And they 99% of the time don't even produce mediocre resilts.

Hepa filtered air is absolutely useless if its turbulent. It will just whip contamination around off of surfaces you could only sanitize, like all the interior walls of the box.

In essence it's not even close to a flow hood.

You'll be like nah I know what I'm doing. Fuck you nay sayers. Then in a few weeks if you actually still keep with it thru all of the failure you needlessly caused yourself you'll make the I'm sorry you guys were right. I followed directions and now I actually have results.

Your filter box is the same thing every noob engineers. It's failed for the last 20+ years.

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: k5hd2y]
    #25252347 - 06/06/18 03:07 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

flyhighfunguy said:
Quote:

The-Doc said:
Quote:

JHOVA said:

I see what your saying. I wonder if that'll end up working well. If so, that would be such a cheap alternative to a flow hood.

Quote:

k5hd2y said:
That looks like a nice idea for doing organic chemistry at home tho.

Please post when you finish the hepa and vacuum. Would like to see that experiment when it's finished, even if it's no good for agar g2g etc:popcorn:

So long as the box lid and filter are sealed properly, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.
I have a soft rubber seal for around the lid, and I think the negative pressure inside the box should be sufficient to suck the lid down enough to form a proper airtight seal.

If it works as planned, it should be a very cheap alternative to a flow hood.

I had planned on making this a couple of years ago when I first started out but I got all OCD and built a proper flow hood.

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25252424 - 06/06/18 03:42 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Those arm holes are too small. Going to be a metric pain in the dick to work in there. Then you'll be like still air boxes suck. 

You absolutely do not want attached gloves.

The sgfc and monotub are far less work and more automated than every single "fully automated" thing with humidifiers and air pumps attached. And they 99% of the time don't even produce mediocre resilts.

Hepa filtered air is absolutely useless if its turbulent. It will just whip contamination around off of surfaces you could only sanitize, like all the interior walls of the box.

In essence it's not even close to a flow hood.

You'll be like nah I know what I'm doing. Fuck you nay sayers. Then in a few weeks if you actually still keep with it thru all of the failure you needlessly caused yourself you'll make the I'm sorry you guys were right. I followed directions and now I actually have results.

Your filter box is the same thing every noob engineers. It's failed for the last 20+ years.

Thanks for your condescending reply.

Firstly, you have no idea what size those holes are. My arms fit in easily with loads of room to work when they meet in the middle.

Secondly, I know exactly how a laminar flow hood works. But thanks for reminding me.

Fortunately, I've already built my fully automated fruiting chamber, and it's working very well. But thank you for your concern.

We wouldn't progress much if nobody decided to do something different, would we!

This was my first attempt at the fruiting chamber.

And it seems to be working just fine.

I'm currently building V2, with a few more bells and whistles. I'm sure that'll raise your blood pressure a bit more :grin:

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: The-Doc] * 1
    #25252444 - 06/06/18 03:49 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Well hopefully you can dial it in to perform as well as my bookshelf and ziploc baggie. Also automatic, as automatic as any house plant. Mist it a couple times a week. Less work than filling a humidifier and cleaning one by a long shot.

It's easy to tell the size of the holes, they're in the same size tub that all of us have dozens of and have cut our own holes into. Looks just like my very first sab. Coffee can arm holes are barely big enough for comfortable work.

You've got it programmed for 99% humidity which isn't what they want anyway. Only less than a half inch from the surface of the cake should humidity be that high. Chamber humidity can and should be 50-80% and fluctuating is good. So that the cakes can evaporate.
Cakes usually want to explode with pins. If they don't you know your conditions need adjustment

I know I'm such a fucking condescending dick teaching people how to make cakes and substrates grow 10x more mushrooms than your cakes for absolutely no pay. And even helping you after the typical noob reply to this kind of thread that happens at least once a week.

Do you want mushrooms or do you want to automate for conditions you're guessing on from dated info you read? If you've never grown prolifically off of your cakes or any substrate how are you going to know what to dial it in for?

Mist two three times a week. Spritz spritz. Your automated set-up should do at the very least as well as this to be anywhere close to worthwhile. The only reason this isn't automated is because i had to harvest it lol.

My blood pressure couldn't possibly ever rise posting on the shroomery lol. This is a pass time, I just like to see people pull off shit like this after simply reading the posts here.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25252322#25252322
Quote:

Mycillyum said:
Woke up this morning and it was harvest day! Shoebox harvest was 300+ grams wet and one 66qt was 2043g wet! Got some pretty decent size guys also some little guys. Still have another 66 a 54 and a shoebox to harvest.
I thank you guys at the shroomery for helping me get to this first flush! Special shout out to Bod and his easy AF teks. Works like a dream!

I get these threads and my inbox chock full of similar daily. I am in no way upset if you don't like my very straightforward and to the point good advice.

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25252544 - 06/06/18 04:48 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Well hopefully you can dial it in to perform as well as my bookshelf and ziploc baggie. Also automatic, as automatic as any house plant. Mist it a couple times a week. Less work than filling a humidifier and cleaning one by a long shot.

It's easy to tell the size of the holes, they're in the same size tub that all of us have dozens of and have cut our own holes into. Looks just like my very first sab. Coffee can arm holes are barely big enough for comfortable work.

You've got it programmed for 99% humidity which isn't what they want anyway. Only less than a half inch from the surface of the cake should humidity be that high. 50-80% and fluctuating is good. So that the cakes can evaporate.

I know I'm such a fucking condescending dick teaching people how to make cakes and substrates grow 10x more mushrooms than your cakes for absolutely no pay. And even helping you after the typical noob reply to this kind of thread that happens at least once a week.

Do you want mushrooms or do you want to automate for conditions you're guessing on from dated info you read? If you've never grown prolifically off of your cakes or any substrate how are you going to know what to dial it in for?

I didn't come here asking for anyone's help in growing. I'm doing quite well at that already, but thanks all the same.

I don't see why you're trying to make this into a competition. You're not the only person on the planet who's allowed to experiment with growing techniques. And as I said, I'm having good results from this. Better than the results I had with a standard SGFC.

And yes, I can dial the FC in to any temperature or humidity I desire. The pictures above are purely for illustrative purposes.
The controller can be programmed to set the exact temperature and keep it there. Same with the humidity, or I can program different values for different times of day if I like. The lights in the chamber are also programmable, as is the room temperature.

V2 will have the air in the chamber refreshed every X hours, with inlet and exhaust fans running through activated charcoal filters. It will have logging, so I will know what happens and when. It also has a WiFi connection, and a camera, so I can see what's going on and control the chamber from anywhere in the world.

I like experimenting and automating shit, and so far this is working just fine. You don't have to like it but the world would be a dull place if we all did the same thing. :thumbup:

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25252601 - 06/06/18 05:26 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Posting on a discussion forum is inherently asking for advice, criticism, and of course discussion.

You don't have to like it but we're here to make people successful.

If you can't manage excellent results(evidenced by you saying this is doing better) then you still need to figure out how to get excellent results before you'll be able to program something to emulate those conditions that provide those results. There's no tool in mycology that will replace your eyes.

No one's saying you can't experiment. We're just trying to help you avoid reliving history because these particular"experiments" have been done countless times. Because it's the obvious path. But trial and error has led us to simpler methods that are funnily quite a bit more automated than any automated setup ive ever seen posted. I can find carbon copys of this exact thread for days.
Note two trends from that links.
No results you want to emulate
No veterans making those threads.

If you get great results and are amazed by your own work you are far more likely to continue to persue mushrooms as a hobby. None of us want you to duck out because of back luck with shrooms.
A 99%rh chamber is a recipe for mold contamination.

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25252747 - 06/06/18 06:36 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The-Doc said:
Quote:

JHOVA said:

This is a recipe for disaster. I would not advise you follow through with this, or that anyone else try it themselves. This is not how you make a clean work space, at all. :thumbdown:

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
No one's saying you can't experiment. We're just trying to help you avoid reliving history because these particular"experiments" have been done countless times.

dude you are like the 500th person this year to post this exact same dumb idea. listen to what bod is saying.

Edited by Munchauzen (06/06/18 06:47 PM)

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: Munchauzen]
    #25254340 - 06/07/18 02:22 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

My first cake will be finished tonight.

This one is from a syringe I made from an Amazonian print back in 2016.

Not too shabby for an FC tek that doesn't work :wink:

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25255620 - 06/08/18 08:34 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Not tea bag for a first flush :wink:

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25255643 - 06/08/18 08:46 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, all were saying is they do that good or better with no gadgets and less work. So the gadgets should make them do REALLY good.

Nice shrooms

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25255715 - 06/08/18 09:31 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Ok, all were saying is they do that good or better with no gadgets and less work. So the gadgets should make them do REALLY good.

Nice shrooms

Cheers :thumbup:

I'm still not done experimenting. I'm only just starting, and I won't stop until I'm 99% happy with repeatable results.

It's a hobby for me, and if I can combine this hobby with my main hobby (electronics) I'm happy as a pig in shit.
I don't want to simply adopt someone else's method and leave it at that. I'm constantly looking at ways to make things work better.
As you know well, growing anything perfectly is an exact science, and providing/emulating the conditions that these things thrive in, and being able to maintain those conditions in a controlled environment, regardless of external factors like temperature/humidity, is what I'm aiming for. Granted, I'm only at the beginning of that journey, and this FC was merely a proof-of-concept. I still have a lot of work to do on it, not least hundreds more lines of code for the controller.

I've no doubt I'll make a bollocks of it at some stage, but I'll learn from any mistakes and move on. It's all a learning curve but I'm happy enough with the initial results.

Cheers :thumbup:

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

#25255749 - 06/08/18 09:53 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Growing something perfectly is not an exact science, it's an art.  You have to coax the stuff into existence, and controlling it all with electronic controllers is about as bad as transhumanists trying to live forever, cause "technology".

Don't disgrace the art.

--------------------
Ὡς οὖν εἴπεν αὐτοῖς ὅτι Ἐγώ εἰμι, ἀπῆλθον εἰς τὰ ὀπίσω, καὶ ἔπεσον χαμαί.

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: naturalistic123]
    #25255756 - 06/08/18 09:57 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Besides, these are mushrooms and not even plants.  They grow on shit and all kinds of weird stuff.

--------------------

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25255815 - 06/08/18 10:33 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

naturalistic123 said:
Growing something perfectly is not an exact science, it's an art

The two aren't mutually exclusive. One could argue that those terms can indeed be interchangeable.
Using your reasoning, it could also be argued that growing shrooms in anything but a pile of shit in your back garden is blasphemous and hypocritical.
We're all using some form of technology to grow these things. Just because my version of the technology involves electronics, doesn't make it any more or less wrong than someone using artificial light and other artificially created conditions.

Quote:

naturalistic123 said:
Besides, these are mushrooms and not even plants.  They grow on shit and all kinds of weird stuff.

That doesn't alter the fact that under ideal conditions they will thrive and produce more/better fruits. I'm simply trying to discover and emulate those conditions, just as everyone else here is doing. The fact that I'm utilising a microcontroller to achieve this is neither here nor there. It's simply a slightly different way of reaching the same goal.

Edited by The-Doc (06/08/18 10:35 AM)

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25255848 - 06/08/18 10:52 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

And all we're saying is that with 20 years+ of collective experience from tens of thousands of members and even people who have been farming mushrooms for years and are computer science geeks still have trouble getting microcontrollers and software to emulate well enough to do the at beat the same job passive and less work automation does. And that's people that already know those good conditions from experience.

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25255921 - 06/08/18 11:29 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
And all we're saying is that with 20 years+ of collective experience from tens of thousands of members and even people who have been farming mushrooms for years and are computer science geeks still have trouble getting microcontrollers and software to emulate well enough to do the at beat the same job passive and less work automation does. And that's people that already know those good conditions from experience.

I'm not disputing this. But if anything it makes me even more determined.

I've achieved things in the past that people told me weren't possible or weren't viable because it was prohibitively expensive. But this just pushed me to try harder.

If all I ever achieve is to grow fruits as prolific as yours, but using my own tek, I'll be happy with that result. I'm not trying to break world records, just trying to do something differently.

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

#25255973 - 06/08/18 12:05 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Reguardless of my complete disagreement with your philosophy, I wish you luck on your project.

--------------------

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Loc: Dreamland
    #25255991 - 06/08/18 12:17 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The-Doc said:
My first cake will be finished tonight.

This one is from a syringe I made from an Amazonian print back in 2016.

Not too shabby for an FC tek that doesn't work :wink:

No one ever said your FC wouldn't work to fruit shrooms.... its just that all that extra stuff you've added doesn't improve anything

Plenty of people have grown equal or better cakes in a simple SGFC without that added stuff, so why even bother?

Maybe it feels cool to have a little digital readout on your tub, but its not making your shrooms grow better

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

#25256001 - 06/08/18 12:26 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The-Doc said:

If all I ever achieve is to grow fruits as prolific as yours, but using my own tek, I'll be happy with that result. I'm not trying to break world records, just trying to do something differently.

This is really the problem with these kinds of threads by new growers. Its the same with any hobby or endeavor - people get excited and want to be one of the big guys doing something new that they can post a thread and get a hundred pages of positive replies about how great it is...

Well, in 2018 its not easy to come up with something different that works well and is impressive. If you take a look at what does qualify as new and impressive, its always simplifying - someone tries something that is stripped down a bit but still works, and usually works better, and everyone loves it.

If you really want to come up with something different that sticks, the key is to just stick to accepted methods consistently until in your process you just happen to try something that worked out well... not trying to come up with fresh TEK at only 14 posts in

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: pixelpopper]
    #25256090 - 06/08/18 01:22 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

naturalistic123 said:
Reguardless of my complete disagreement with your philosophy, I wish you luck on your project.

Quote:

pixelpopper said:
No one ever said your FC wouldn't work to fruit shrooms.... its just that all that extra stuff you've added doesn't improve anything

Plenty of people have grown equal or better cakes in a simple SGFC without that added stuff, so why even bother?

Maybe it feels cool to have a little digital readout on your tub, but its not making your shrooms grow better

But that's the point. I have improved on my previous method. And that's all I'm trying to achieve, and all that matters to me, simply to improve on my previous method each time.
As I explained above, I'm not trying to break any records or say my tek is better than anyone else's tek. I'm just trying to do it differently.
If you prefer to follow someone else's technique then that's fine, and I understand why most people would want to follow a tried and trusted technique but that isn't me. I prefer to start from scratch and learn from my mistakes. I believe it teaches me more about what I'm doing and what I'm doing wrong.

Quote:

pixelpopper said:
This is really the problem with these kinds of threads by new growers. Its the same with any hobby or endeavor - people get excited and want to be one of the big guys doing something new that they can post a thread and get a hundred pages of positive replies about how great it is...

Except this isn't what I'm trying to do.
And if you'd read my post above, where I stated that the cake in the picture was from a spore print/syringe I made in 2016, you'd realise I wasn't a new grower.

Quote:

pixelpopper said:... not trying to come up with fresh TEK at only 14 posts in

And therein lies the rub... Post count != experience/intelligence.

InvisibleR.I.P.Zappa
Myco Melyco

Loc: In Between Space and Time Flag
    #25256235 - 06/08/18 02:38 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

I agree most of the stuff is time tested and peer reviewed here.

I see no issue with trying new things and hoping for that eureka moment. That why we have that nice journal feature.

I do get the impression though that the core of issue is when a new guy comes in and see's these unproven TEKs/methods, then invests in them.  That is were the problem comes in.

The community does have the responsibility to chime in and say, "hey this isn't necessary, here are the time tested methods that are K.I.S.S. (keep it stupid simple)". A person can spend $100's of dollars and time on unnecessary stuff in this hobby when it barely requires it.

Just like any hypothesis, it has to go through peer review or better put, scrutiny, before it can become theory then an absolute fact or a good method.

I wouldn't take it personal Doc if you are, It is just a way to keep newcomers from being led astray in some manner.  I have come across lots of stuff that look cool but found em unnecessary thanks to all the input from the experienced growers.

Nice cake btw. :jackiechanofapproval:

--------------------
-The heaviest thing one will ever carry is a thought-
-"Like a Blind man In an orgy you gotta feel things out.".-
-When we agree about our hallucinations, we call it “reality".-
-If you defy authority because your told to, that's no better than blindly trusting authority.-

psychonautwiki.org

How it should & shouldn't look - NEW CULTIVATORS GUIDE
BOD's Easy AF OAT prep tek.
Principles of mushroom growing for beginners

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: R.I.P.Zappa]
    #25256876 - 06/08/18 08:27 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

R.I.P.Zappa said:
I agree most of the stuff is time tested and peer reviewed here.

I see no issue with trying new things and hoping for that eureka moment. That why we have that nice journal feature.

I do get the impression though that the core of issue is when a new guy comes in and see's these unproven TEKs/methods, then invests in them.  That is were the problem comes in.

The community does have the responsibility to chime in and say, "hey this isn't necessary, here are the time tested methods that are K.I.S.S. (keep it stupid simple)". A person can spend $100's of dollars and time on unnecessary stuff in this hobby when it barely requires it.

Just like any hypothesis, it has to go through peer review or better put, scrutiny, before it can become theory then an absolute fact or a good method.

I wouldn't take it personal Doc if you are, It is just a way to keep newcomers from being led astray in some manner.  I have come across lots of stuff that look cool but found em unnecessary thanks to all the input from the experienced growers.

Nice cake btw. :jackiechanofapproval:

Thanks a lot

Edit because no person should ever consume that many shrooms.

Edited by The-Doc (06/09/18 04:30 AM)

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25304776 - 07/02/18 03:48 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

So I did away with the shotgun FC, and the perlite, and now it's fully automated and a lot more controllable in a fully enclosed box, with an ultrasonic mister that keeps it within 1% of the set humidity, and a pair of fans to change out the air.
It's fully tested and working now, and I can easily walk away from it for a week, with no fear of anything drying out... it looks after itself just fine.

And to raise a few more eyebrows and create some more uproar... I've added UV-C lights to that glove box... because why not! :tongue2:

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25305050 - 07/02/18 05:53 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Gotta admit. That glow looks pretty dope.

--------------------

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25305185 - 07/02/18 07:17 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I just want to see awesome fruiting cakes.

Offlinespace_shrooms

#25305319 - 07/02/18 08:32 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I like to work in the dark with nothing but a spirit lamp on the desk and an iPhone torch/camera-light laying on top of the SAB. If you've got some neon food-colored agar to go with it, the whole setup is mad scientist af

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: space_shrooms]
    #25325346 - 07/14/18 04:30 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
I just want to see awesome fruiting cakes.

The first cake from the automated fruiting chamber was finished this morning. Until today I hadn't opened the chamber since this cake started pinning. It was obviously a little dry but that will be tweaked in the software today.

I'm happy enough with that result, especially for the first attempt.

Edited by The-Doc (07/14/18 04:35 AM)

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25325348 - 07/14/18 04:34 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Those fruits show signs of being too wet not too dry

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25325355 - 07/14/18 04:38 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:

I thought the cracking was due to them being too dry.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25325358 - 07/14/18 04:39 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

That's why you should have experience before trying to make automated stuff $0.02

They're clearly soaked.

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25325369 - 07/14/18 04:49 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
That's why you should have experience before trying to make automated stuff $0.02

They're clearly soaked.

I've only ever had cracked heads before when they were too dry.
If they're too wet, that's even better. It means I can use a smaller container for the mister... Onward and upward... Cheers.

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25325372 - 07/14/18 04:56 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Any comment on the amount/weight of the fruit? What's a 'normal' amount for a single cake in a 'normal' FC?

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25325398 - 07/14/18 05:39 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

7-14 grams cracker dry from first flush is what I would aim for. From a half pint cake.

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25325798 - 07/14/18 11:33 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:

I think there's a bit of scaling there too. That's the wonder of having both a fan and a mister. You can swap between two extreme instead of having a stable environment.

Having a fan on a FC is just ridiculous. Air moves through holes just fine on it's own. It doesn't need to be blown through :lol:

--------------------

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: Kizzle]
    #25325903 - 07/14/18 12:25 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Ignore the cracking.. look at the dark splotches on the caps and how they look almost slightly slimy. I can't really tell much from the pic but the stems probably have some of the same thing

Signs of too wet

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: Kizzle]
    #25326282 - 07/14/18 04:13 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Kizzle said:
Quote:

bodhisatta said:

I think there's a bit of scaling there too. That's the wonder of having both a fan and a mister. You can swap between two extreme instead of having a stable environment.

Having a fan on a FC is just ridiculous. Air moves through holes just fine on it's own. It doesn't need to be blown through :lol:

There are no holes in the chamber, apart from the fan holes, and they have carbon filters on them, so there's approximately fuck all FAE without the fans running, and the fans are PWM controlled and run so slowly that they don't even create a breeze, certainly no more than wafting the chamber with the lid.

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

#25326702 - 07/14/18 09:05 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I guess whatever works to get you fruits...but everytime I read this thread I get almost sick to my stomache!

After re-reading our earlier convo, I must have to fundamentally disagree with you on the bit of "exact science" can be used interchangealy with "art".  That's just about the polar opposite of what the term "art" invokes, when used specifically in the context of technique.  I also don't beleive the terms can be used together in tandem in any way, shape, or form, either.  That's even considering the juxtapositional style of some art.

You should focus your skills and micro managing techniques in something that is able to be micro managed and controlled to such a degree.

--------------------

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25326989 - 07/15/18 02:57 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

naturalistic123 said:
I guess whatever works to get you fruits...but everytime I read this thread I get almost sick to my stomache!

After re-reading our earlier convo, I must have to fundamentally disagree with you on the bit of "exact science" can be used interchangealy with "art".  That's just about the polar opposite of what the term "art" invokes, when used specifically in the context of technique.  I also don't beleive the terms can be used together in tandem in any way, shape, or form, either.  That's even considering the juxtapositional style of some art.

You should focus your skills and micro managing techniques in something that is able to be micro managed and controlled to such a degree.

You get sick because you don't agree that growing things is a science?
But it is, even if you do think it's art.

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25327000 - 07/15/18 03:11 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Omg bod is such a dick for wanting this guy to succeed and grow pounds of shrooms.

How dare he!

--------------------

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25327002 - 07/15/18 03:16 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah dude mushrooms get plenty of fresh air in a tote period.

Humans stay in rooms with the door closed for days sometimes and they dont suffocate from not having a fan piping air into the room.

Apples and oranges but the comparison is sound. You don't need to pipe in filtered air.

--------------------

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25327020 - 07/15/18 04:06 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:
Omg bod is such a dick for wanting this guy to succeed and grow pounds of shrooms.

How dare he!

Where did I say that?

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:

In a sealed box? No, they don't!

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:

Humans stay in rooms with the door closed for days sometimes and they dont suffocate from not having a fan piping air into the room.

Apples and oranges but the comparison is sound. You don't need to pipe in filtered air.

The comparison is bollocks. The fans in my FC run for 10 seconds every 4 hours, which is sufficient to shift a volume of air slightly larger than the volume of the chamber.
It's filtered to stop contaminants getting in. You might not like that but DILLIGAF?

The fuck is wrong with some of you people? Are you afraid that I might actually make this work and upset your god?

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

#25327029 - 07/15/18 04:28 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

:utterconfusion:

--------------------

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25327061 - 07/15/18 05:22 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The-Doc said:
The fuck is wrong with some of you people? Are you afraid that I might actually make this work...

Actually, scratch that. I already made it work.

10.5g cracker dry from a 1/2 pint cake is better than what most people are achieving, so this tek works fine. Now it just needs fine tuning.

Unless someone wants to tell me that 10.5g is a shit yield?

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

#25327519 - 07/15/18 11:25 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The-Doc said:

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:

A lid on isn't sealed. A lid on upside down definitely isn't sealed

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25327554 - 07/15/18 11:42 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Simply having a colonized substrate in a tote creates air currents within the box. It's not sealed and those air currents are more than enough to create air exchange through the imperfect lid.

No, you clearly don't give a fuck. :thumbup:

Nice little flush you got there.

--------------------

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25327556 - 07/15/18 11:43 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pixelpopper said:
Quote:

The-Doc said:

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:

But that isn't what was said.
What was said was this:

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:

The 'period' means without qualification. Nobody mentioned an upturned lid.

So you're saying a fruiting chamber with no holes in it and the lid on the right way will have sufficient FAE?

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25327560 - 07/15/18 11:44 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Yes.

Okay I will qualify that, it helps if you don't latch the lid, your right. I shouldn't have said "period" last night.

--------------------

Edited by elasticaltiger (07/15/18 11:47 AM)

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25327571 - 07/15/18 11:50 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:
Simply having a colonized substrate in a tote creates air currents within the box. It's not sealed and those air currents are more than enough to create air exchange through the imperfect lid.

Except it is sealed. There's a silicone gasket around the rim.
I added a line of silicone to the rim of the box and smeared vaseline in the channel on the lid (to stop the lid sticking) then placed the lid on. It isn't a pressure tight seal but it's as good as it's gonna get.

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:Nice little flush you got there.

Cheers.

Edited by The-Doc (07/15/18 11:53 AM)

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25327580 - 07/15/18 11:55 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

And just so you know man, i experimented with active fresh air exchange when I first started growing bulk.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19058333

I am literally embarassed by the results now. I thought it was pretty hot shit at the time but then I started running 6 hole tubs and unmodified tubs.

Realized how much time I'd been wasting when I got better results. I'm not speaking from no experience here.

There's 3 of those air pump threads (unfiltered btw) floating around if you wanna glance at them all. Only the bucket grow was once I was happy with because it looked cool.

--------------------

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25327682 - 07/15/18 12:46 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:
And just so you know man, i experimented with active fresh air exchange when I first started growing bulk.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19058333

I am literally embarassed by the results now. I thought it was pretty hot shit at the time but then I started running 6 hole tubs and unmodified tubs.

Realized how much time I'd been wasting when I got better results. I'm not speaking from no experience here.

There's 3 of those air pump threads (unfiltered btw) floating around if you wanna glance at them all. Only the bucket grow was once I was happy with because it looked cool.

I've stuck with BRF cakes to date, because I really didn't want to get into bulk, but I bought a bag of coir a couple of weeks ago, and I have a load of grain jars/bags on the go, so as soon as the BRF cakes finish this flush, I'm going to move them into a different chamber and have a go at bulk with this chamber.
It's actually what I built this chamber for, not for the BRF cakes, and we'll see how it goes. It could be a total disaster, or it might work OK. I'm hoping for the latter.

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #25327732 - 07/15/18 01:15 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

You can also do cakes mashed up and mixed with coco in small trays.

Using unmodified totes:stoned:

Kiss is your friend.

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

#25328028 - 07/15/18 03:35 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The-Doc said:
Quote:

pixelpopper said:
Quote:

The-Doc said:

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:

But that isn't what was said.
What was said was this:

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:

The 'period' means without qualification. Nobody mentioned an upturned lid.

So you're saying a fruiting chamber with no holes in it and the lid on the right way will have sufficient FAE?

Wrong.

Period, without qualification is still correct. Its not sealed whether lid is turned up or not. A lid placed on a tote normally, latched and all is not sealed. Totes are not airtight containers. People don't store perishables in totes. And yes it gets enough FAE to complete fruiting even with the lid latched. Try it and see for yourself

Edited by pixelpopper (07/15/18 03:36 PM)

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

#25328170 - 07/15/18 04:45 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Did I really just start a response with "Wrong" ? :facepalm:

It sucks when everyone's coming at you and makes it hard to actually have a real conversation- sorry for being an ass, dude. 
:cannon:

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25328173 - 07/15/18 04:46 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pixelpopper said:
Wrong.

Period, without qualification is still correct. Its not sealed whether lid is turned up or not. A lid placed on a tote normally, latched and all is not sealed. Totes are not airtight containers. People don't store perishables in totes. And yes it gets enough FAE to complete fruiting even with the lid latched. Try it and see for yourself

Or you could try reading the part where I stated:

Quote:

The-Doc said:
Except it is sealed. There's a silicone gasket around the rim.
I added a line of silicone to the rim of the box and smeared vaseline in the channel on the lid (to stop the lid sticking) then placed the lid on. It isn't a pressure tight seal but it's as good as it's gonna get.

But I've reached and breached the point where I assume people have read what I've posted before they chime in with self-righteous, self-obsessed nonsense.

Here's a question for anyone who wants to answer it...
Is 10.5g cracker-dry weight below or above the norm for a (1/2 pint) BRF cake?
Bearing in mind that I already know that anywhere between 2g and 5g is the norm.

So why the fuck are people still trying to debunk what I'm doing and saying it won't work... when it quite fucking obviously DOES work?!?!

I mean for fuck's sake. All I wanted to do was make an automated system that works, and I think I've already proved that it fucking DOES work, unless someone is prepared to say that 10.5g is a fucking shit result?

What the fuck do I have to do? Do I have to stick my tongue up someone's arse before I'm allowed to post something that doesn't get people jumping down my throat and telling me I'm a daft cúnt?

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone but for fuck's sake, how fucking hard would it be to 'admit' that this might actually be working? Because by all accounts, it actually is fucking working!!!

Edited by The-Doc (07/15/18 04:47 PM)

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25328192 - 07/15/18 04:52 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pixelpopper said:
Did I really just start a response with "Wrong" ? :facepalm:

It sucks when everyone's coming at you and makes it hard to actually have a real conversation- sorry for being an ass, dude. 
:cannon:

No worries... but it does get a bit tiresome when you're striving to make something work, and it appears to actually BE working, but all you get is shit for your efforts.

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

#25328402 - 07/15/18 06:41 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Ya gotta realize though that when we are talking about tubs, no one is ever talking about your gasket sealed lid there... The whole argument is that regular tubs with nothing done to them at all work totally excellent for FAE. No one was ever talking about your gasketed setup when making comparisons to tubs

I respect that you put a lot of work and effort into growing some nice mushrooms.

But the reason this has exploded is because you're unwilling to accept these simple tubs outperform something like your setup. I get that its hard to not just argue everything when you feel attacked, and you can't really communicate when on defense, so ....

:eatsmoke:

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #25328425 - 07/15/18 06:55 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The-Doc said:
it actually is fucking working!!!

if your goal is to just grow some shrooms then yes. it works. growing some shrooms is easy as shit.
and not to knock pf tek at all but being proud of pulling 10g is like having the pimpist training wheels.

lets see ya put your brains to bulk. thats where it gets really fucking cool and you really learn what works.

like this guy

OfflineEl Duderino
Stranger
Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: mushboy] * 1
    #25328799 - 07/15/18 10:02 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I think the issue here is your're combining what sounds like your other hobbies (electronics and tinkering) with mycology and acting like it's something that more people should be doing. You're taking everything and making it more complicated then it ever needs to be because it's something you enjoy.

A SAB is basically a box with armholes cut into it. That's all it needs to be to be effective. You claim to have made a box for a friend with gloves that creates another problem (sucking in contaminates) so you then try to come up with a solution that involves a vacuum motor and a HEPA filter. All this for a friend who sounds like a beginner when he didn't need anything more than a box with some holes cut into it. You're statement that it's a "cheap alternative to a flowhood" is so off the mark because a box with some holes cut in it is already the cheap alternative to a flowhood. No HEPA filters or vacuum motor or DIY airtight gaskets required.

If you want to tinker and play with electronics, that's completely fine. Start a thread with the disclaimer that you're a tinkerer and see if anybody is interested in your completely overcomplicated tinkering. Do some side by side grows and see if your methods are actually having any appreciable effect with a large enough sample size and the proper controls in place.

My analogy would be me going into a forum for a hobby with already well established techniques, say gardening. I start a thread and say "Hey everybody, I've got this cheap alternative to a rototiller. It's got a gyroscope to be self stabilizing and is powered with a hydrogen fuel cell. I've also got an improved greenhouse that is vacuum sealed with it's own CO2 generators and moisture evaporators that run of a AI neural network that I programmed with deep machine learning. It can grow 2 lbs of tomatos per plant every couple weeks!" People would say "That's cool I guess, but a $5 hoe is the cheap alternative to a rototiller, and a $50 shed covered in plastic wrap can grow 5 lbs of tomatoes per plant every couple weeks. This is kind of expensive and complicated." And you'd say "Well this is working so clearly I'm on to something and you are all acting like dicks for pointing that out!"

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: El Duderino]
    #25329075 - 07/16/18 03:16 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pixelpopper said:
Ya gotta realize though that when we are talking about tubs, no one is ever talking about your gasket sealed lid there... The whole argument is that regular tubs with nothing done to them at all work totally excellent for FAE. No one was ever talking about your gasketed setup when making comparisons to tubs

I respect that you put a lot of work and effort into growing some nice mushrooms.

But the reason this has exploded is because you're unwilling to accept these simple tubs outperform something like your setup. I get that its hard to not just argue everything when you feel attacked, and you can't really communicate when on defense, so ....

:eatsmoke:

Quote:

mushboy said:
Quote:

The-Doc said:
it actually is fucking working!!!

if your goal is to just grow some shrooms then yes. it works. growing some shrooms is easy as shit.
and not to knock pf tek at all but being proud of pulling 10g is like having the pimpist training wheels.

lets see ya put your brains to bulk. thats where it gets really fucking cool and you really learn what works.

like this guy

Quote:

El Duderino said:
I think the issue here is your're combining what sounds like your other hobbies (electronics and tinkering) with mycology and acting like it's something that more people should be doing. You're taking everything and making it more complicated then it ever needs to be because it's something you enjoy.

A SAB is basically a box with armholes cut into it. That's all it needs to be to be effective. You claim to have made a box for a friend with gloves that creates another problem (sucking in contaminates) so you then try to come up with a solution that involves a vacuum motor and a HEPA filter. All this for a friend who sounds like a beginner when he didn't need anything more than a box with some holes cut into it. You're statement that it's a "cheap alternative to a flowhood" is so off the mark because a box with some holes cut in it is already the cheap alternative to a flowhood. No HEPA filters or vacuum motor or DIY airtight gaskets required.

If you want to tinker and play with electronics, that's completely fine. Start a thread with the disclaimer that you're a tinkerer and see if anybody is interested in your completely overcomplicated tinkering. Do some side by side grows and see if your methods are actually having any appreciable effect with a large enough sample size and the proper controls in place.

My analogy would be me going into a forum for a hobby with already well established techniques, say gardening. I start a thread and say "Hey everybody, I've got this cheap alternative to a rototiller. It's got a gyroscope to be self stabilizing and is powered with a hydrogen fuel cell. I've also got an improved greenhouse that is vacuum sealed with it's own CO2 generators and moisture evaporators that run of a AI neural network that I programmed with deep machine learning. It can grow 2 lbs of tomatos per plant every couple weeks!" People would say "That's cool I guess, but a $5 hoe is the cheap alternative to a rototiller, and a $50 shed covered in plastic wrap can grow 5 lbs of tomatoes per plant every couple weeks. This is kind of expensive and complicated." And you'd say "Well this is working so clearly I'm on to something and you are all acting like dicks for pointing that out!"

Everybody seems to be missing the point by a country mile. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. I'm not trying to make bigger cakes or produce more yield. I'm trying to make a fruiting chamber I can put cakes/bulk into, walk away and come back when it's finished. And I've just achieved that.

I'm not trying to break any records... I just wanted to achieve one goal, and that was to be able to grow while I'm away, because I'm normally working away for days at a time. Now I can grow grow while I'm away, so I've achieved my goal, and the results aren't tea bag, so I'm happy... because I can grow again.

Not everybody is in a position to mist and fan a box a few times a day, or even a few times a week. Unfortunately I'm one of those people, but now it no longer has to affect my ability to grow.

Today's cake weigh-in:

I can't wait to fuck the cakes off and start on the bulk.

Edited by The-Doc (07/16/18 03:29 AM)

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #25329220 - 07/16/18 06:39 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

You kno a unmodified tub requires no misting if you do it right. And fanning is pointless no matter what.

..that's our point. Your goal can be achieved a number of ways that does not involve fancy gizmos.

simple passive chambers that require little to no maintaince and zero modifocation. Give it a try:thumbup:

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: mushboy]
    #25329244 - 07/16/18 07:01 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

You can put a cake on a shelf with a baggie over it and get 11g dry first flush doing literally nothing but having a fungi "houseplant"

Offlinerunaway
Stranger
Female

#25329333 - 07/16/18 08:23 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
You can put a cake on a shelf with a baggie over it and get 11g dry first flush doing literally nothing but having a fungi "houseplant"

Hey, I'm planning to do that for my next grow- (my second grow).  Do you have to soak the cakes first?  And after the first flush, you just add some water to the jar... right?

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: runaway]
    #25329569 - 07/16/18 10:44 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

OP be like :

--------------------

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #25329580 - 07/16/18 10:52 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Op those are some nice shrooms you got there man. Id be interested in you running a side by side comparison with an unmodified mono and just flipping the lid at 100% colonized. Literally zero effort in monitoring. :cheers:

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

#25329587 - 07/16/18 10:56 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I actually beleive you will have better luck at bulk in your automated FC setup.  Cakes seem especially finnicky to me.  However, I also don't beleive it will give you any better results than using a cased shoebox with the lid on.  There's no misting required at all on the first flush if it's brought to proper feild capacity, and can be left alone completely for weeks at a time.

--------------------

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25329871 - 07/16/18 12:57 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JHOVA said:
Op those are some nice shrooms you got there man. Id be interested in you running a side by side comparison with an unmodified mono and just flipping the lid at 100% colonized. Literally zero effort in monitoring. :cheers:

I might have a bash at that when I get a bit of free time.

Quote:

naturalistic123 said:
I actually beleive you will have better luck at bulk in your automated FC setup.  Cakes seem especially finnicky to me.  However, I also don't beleive it will give you any better results than using a cased shoebox with the lid on.  There's no misting required at all on the first flush if it's brought to proper feild capacity, and can be left alone completely for weeks at a time.

I'll do a few comparisons once I get up and running properly.

Offlinepastorar
Stranger
    #25340631 - 07/22/18 01:30 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

That glove box is hilarious. Some people watch too much TV.

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: pastorar]
    #25340749 - 07/22/18 02:34 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pastorar said:

What do you find hilarious about it?

I've made over 100 agar plates in it so far, and not had a single contamination. I'm using it more than I use my flow hood now.

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #25341993 - 07/23/18 09:31 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The-Doc said:
Quote:

pastorar said:

I've made over 100 agar plates in it so far, and not had a single contamination. I'm using it more than I use my flow hood now.

wtf you got a hood and ur using a glovebox in the year 2018? :imdying:

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

Re: Cheap SAB / GB in 30 minutes [Re: mushboy]
    #25344075 - 07/24/18 09:52 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mushboy said:
Quote:

The-Doc said:
Quote:

pastorar said:

wtf you got a hood and ur using a glovebox in the year 2018? :imdying:

I have 2 hoods, but hoods are noisy as fuck and soon become pretty fucking annoying.
I like to sit, relax and listen to some music while I'm doing plates.

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

#25344147 - 07/24/18 10:37 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

These days my favorite time of day/night is after blazing some trees, putting on something good to listen to and doing myc work in the SAB (or wherever)

OfflineThe-Doc
Electronics Wizard
Male

#25344667 - 07/24/18 03:41 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pixelpopper said:
These days my favorite time of day/night is after blazing some trees, putting on something good to listen to and doing myc work in the SAB (or wherever)

Exactly the same as that :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds