Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblesakura
Aussie Expat

Loc: Japan
Shiitake mycelium (pic)
    #2523815 - 04/04/04 04:10 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

This is a light honey solution with a drop of soy sauce and a dash of h202 and a chunk of fresh shiitake cap 3 days after innoculation...

The myc is growing at a rate of knots and I wanna make some back-up cultures.

I have also made a pile of 'carboard agar' cultures from the same stock... no way to see whats happening with them just yet, so I wanna apply some of this myc in a similar fashion just to make sure.

I have no petris... I will be working with cardboard sandwiches which have been supplemented nutritionally and lightly peroxided after pc'ing.

I have plastic ziplocks (but no petris). My concern is whether there will be adequate air exchange for continued mycelium growth... I'm thinking of packing the sandwiches inside wads of polyfill (sterilised and treated with a light h2o2 solution) before placing them in the ziplocks.

Do you think this would work? (I'm looking to have cultures to send in the mail)

--------------------
Shrooms aren't everyone's cup of tea... (Some folks just eat 'em)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Shiitake mycelium (pic) [Re: sakura]
    #2523901 - 04/04/04 05:54 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Maybe you have success, but I tend to believe that you end up with a lot of contamination. I think it would be better to use some small glass bottles or little jars with a lid as a compensation for the petri dishes. You can buy some agar at the asian food stores, which should be no problem for you I guess ? In my opinion that would be less work and you would have a much better chance of success.
But anyway, it surely is a nice experiment.

When you want to send the cultures, you just could put some wedges of the agar into a new ziplock baggy and send it in an envelope.

Edited by ragadinks (04/04/04 05:56 AM)

Invisiblesakura
Aussie Expat

Re: Shiitake mycelium (pic) [Re: ragadinks]
    #2523951 - 04/04/04 07:29 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Agar is a problem for me here (maybe they sell it, but I can't read labels and I can't talk to the staff)

The peroxided cardboard agar isn't my idea... It's Dr Rush Wayne's

"...instead of going through all the trouble of weighing ingredients for agar medium, melting the agar, cooling slowly, adding peroxide, pouring plates, waiting for them to solidify, then drying them for a couple of days, you can just cut disks of gray cardboard to fit your Petri plates or jars, add a measured amount of water to the disks, and prepare a jar of plain water or a simple nutrient solution. Then, pop the plates and the jar of liquid in the pressure cooker for 10 minutes, cool rapidly, and add peroxide to the jar of liquid. Finally, transfer a measured amount of the solution to the cardboard to give it peroxide protection. The cardboard plates are then ready to use as soon as the solution has soaked in."

He has used this technique successfully with open air transfer. I am trying to play with it so that I can do it without the petri dishes.

I am sterilising cardboard squares after the nutrient solution is added (wrapping them in alfoil and pc'ing). Then I treat them with a h2o2 solution (made according to his instructions) and insert a piece of mushroom tissue into each 'sandwich' (after a quich dunk in 3% h2o2). I then transfer the innoculated cultures immediately to ziplock baggies using sterile tweezers.

I have great faith in Dr Rush. The question mark is on my adaptation of his technique.

Since I have this liquid myc which is contaminant free and now h2o2 tolerant, I am thinking that I could follow much the same procedure as previously and substitute a small amount of shiitake mycelium for the tissue wedge.

The idea about the polyfill is completely my own. I am concerned that a lack of 'aeration' (I'm assuming there will be some oxygen due to the breakdown of the h2o2) may be detrimental.

--------------------

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2524005 - 04/04/04 08:14 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Here is pic that shows what the agar packages in the asian food stores usually look like.

There was a good thread from zeronio who has tried out cardboard instead of agar here.

Keep us updated how it works.

InvisibleSpeeker

#2524179 - 04/04/04 10:41 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Invisiblesakura
Aussie Expat

Re: Shiitake mycelium (pic) [Re: Speeker]
    #2524229 - 04/04/04 11:02 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Great stuff speeker!!!

I live in the next prefecture to Hyogo (Kyoto-Fu) and couldn't find agar to save my life!  :lol: :lol:

What's more...  My fridge contains any number of agar-based children's confectionary (Their grandmother brings them every week)

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Shiitake mycelium (pic) [Re: Speeker]
    #2525476 - 04/04/04 06:44 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Got any good recipes for cooking with agar?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineMycena
mycoexplorer
Loc: indonesia
Re: Shiitake mycelium (pic) [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2526767 - 04/05/04 07:11 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Use it the same as gelatine

you know vegetarian 'jello'

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies