Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, San Pedro, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesurir
Stranger

Do these brf cakes have any hope left? (first timer)
    #25238937 - 05/30/18 08:39 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Hello all, this is my first post on the Shroomery.  :cookiemonster:

I started my first grow using a B+ cubensis spore syringe (Edit: removed vendor). I tried following the classic "let's grow mushrooms!" video to grow brf cakes that most people here are probably familiar with. To fast forward a bit, the jars went great. No contams (unless I suck at identifying cobweb mold) and 2/3 jars already had 1-3 caps forming. I soaked the cakes in the refrigerator for 24 hours and then rolled them in vermiculite as instructed.

https://imgur.com/a/ETkh2UX

In the first picture, you will see a plastic bowl with flowers on the side... that is a cake that I gave to a friend a couple of days ago. The plastic bowl is sitting inside of a pot with the lid slightly offset to allow for limited air exchange. I know that is a half-assed way to do this but this particular friend did not want to buy anything  :noway2:. There is clearly some kind of white mold forming on the mushrooms so the pot is currently sitting near a fan with the lid off. Not sure if that cake is still salvageable.

In the next pictures, you will see my standard set up. These two were allowed to sit in their spawn jars longer so they were just birthed yesterday. There's two potential problems I have identified: one is that I can see two fungus gnats flying around the area, one of which already made it into the grow box  :facepalm3: . The second is that there seems to be some type of white mold forming again and I'm not sure what to do about it.

If I were to do this whole thing over again, I'd probably just use sterilized grain bags, coco coir substrate, and an obsessively clean work area for less chance of something going wrong. You live and learn I guess.

I tried to read the stickies but let me know if I'm missing anything or mentioned something I shouldn't have. Please lend me your wisdom so that I can get better at this interesting hobby!  :bow2:

(PS: The last picture, for entertainment, is of my funky little Trichocereus Bridgesii cactus. It fits in the palm of my hand and hasn't grown a bit in 2 months so I might move it to a bigger pot. I don't exactly have a green thumb...)

Edited by surir (05/30/18 10:15 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline0deadeye0
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Do these brf cakes have any hope left? (first timer) [Re: surir]
    #25239004 - 05/30/18 09:11 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

You shouldn't mention sponsors in your grows the spores are for microscopy use from sponsors

OfflineEnkidu
"No-Such-Person"
Male

Re: Do these brf cakes have any hope left? (first timer) [Re: 0deadeye0]
    #25239428 - 05/31/18 01:14 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

is the first pic mold?

you need a proper sgfc to help with cakes, holes all sides 2 inch apart of whatever and moist perlite

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24945782

i would spawn to this

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24038695

--------------------
Within You , Without You

:mushroom2::levitate::mushroom2:

Offlinesurir
Stranger

Re: Do these brf cakes have any hope left? (first timer) [Re: Enkidu]
    #25239696 - 05/31/18 07:05 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

I believe that is mold in the first picture of my friend's cake. My limited understanding is that crumbling up my cakes will expose them to even more contamination as they will have to form new mycelium. Is that true? I'll put some holes in my fruiting chamber for now.

Edited by surir (05/31/18 07:06 AM)

OfflineTormato
It’s OK!! I’m a Limo Driver!! 😁
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25239722 - 05/31/18 07:27 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

surir said:
I believe that is mold in the first picture of my friend's cake. My limited understanding is that crumbling up my cakes will expose them to even more contamination as they will have to form new mycelium. Is that true? I'll put some holes in my fruiting chamber for now.

Yes that is mold

No that is not true

For BRF cakes you will want to make one of these ---------> SGFC  OR  Monotub/SGFC Hybrid

If you are solely interested in doing BRF cakes give this a read too! -------> Updated PF TEK

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Tormato's Q&A Thread Post Questions Here or PM me!

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been." ~ Grateful Dead

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

Tormato's LAGM 2020

Come chat with me and other Trusted Cultivators and Trusted Identifiers on Shroomery Discord

Some cool videos I like to watch under the influence.

Offlinesurir
Stranger
Re: Do these brf cakes have any hope left? (first timer) [Re: Tormato]
    #25273577 - 06/17/18 03:25 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

So I broke up the cakes into coco coir (which had boiled water poured on it with enough time afterward to let it fully cool off). I put all of that into a proper SGFC as described above. Unfortuneately I had to leave my project unattended for a full 9 days because of an unexpected/urgent matter. I came back today to find this:

https://imgur.com/a/s3oQdfd

I know these should have been picked a while ago and that most of that black stuff is just
a ton of spores. Are these old mushrooms still just as active? What can I do now?

OfflineTormato
It’s OK!! I’m a Limo Driver!! 😁
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25274165 - 06/17/18 12:24 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Yep still active! Just wash them off :thumbup:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Tormato's Q&A Thread Post Questions Here or PM me!

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been." ~ Grateful Dead

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

Tormato's LAGM 2020

Come chat with me and other Trusted Cultivators and Trusted Identifiers on Shroomery Discord

Some cool videos I like to watch under the influence.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, San Pedro, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started