Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Spirituality & Mysticism

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Ayahuasca, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGrey Fox

Plant Teachers: Experience vs Tradition
    #25238675 - 05/30/18 06:01 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

For those of you who are interested in Plant Teachers and Plant Medicine...

Have you ever wondered about how to reconcile and integrate these two very different aspects of Plant Medicine: 1) the direct, personal experience of Plant Medicine, and 2) the traditions and rituals that have developed around Plant Medicines?

For example, there is a long and ancient tradition of using Peyote as medicine by local people in Northern Mexico.  Traditions and ceremonies have arisen.  Peyote is used ritualistically in a way that the entire community understands.

But what does that mean to an outsider of that culture? If an outsider were to use Peyote and attempt to do so in a way that had spiritual significance what would that look like?  How bound would or should that person be by the traditional understanding of the people who have always used it?

An important contribution to the discussion of this topic that I would like to add is this: All Tradition Originates In And Has Authority From The Direct Experience Of The Plant Medicine.  This is so important to keep in mind.  Those traditions were founded by someone or some people who directly partook of the Plant Medicine and learned things from it.  Then they shared that with other people, who in turn gained new insights, and the body of knowledge of that Plant Medicine built and expanded.  This is the origin of the different traditions of Plant Medicine.  For if the origins were something else then the body of knowledge would be inauthentic and without authority.

Therefore, as someone outside of the culture that traditionally uses a Plant Medicine, to what extent should one be bound by cultural tradition?

I think this is an important question, and one that needs an authentic answer.  Experience should play a primary role.

What do you think?

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEnkidu
"No-Such-Person"
Male

Re: Plant Teachers: Experience vs Tradition [Re: Grey Fox]
    #25238905 - 05/30/18 08:19 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

I think if you're outside the original culture of their tradition then you aren't bound by their cultural tradition.

You could attempt to take part and follow but it isn't the same as being one of them.

If your culture has no tradition to the plant medicine, I feel you need not follow their tradition, and it wouldn't carry the significance it does for them, and you are free to create your own, independednt of their tradition, which has cultural significance to you.

That being said, you could probably learn and gain much by trying to understand their tradition and the reason for it and the significance of it within their culture.

Imo since we are not them and do not share their culture, their tradition has less significance and authenticity to us. Yet it may be far more powerful and beneficial to enter and experience their tradition for the plant medicine, as foreign as we may be.

--------------------
Within You , Without You

:mushroom2::levitate::mushroom2:

OnlineBrendanFlock
Stranger

Re: Plant Teachers: Experience vs Tradition [Re: Enkidu]
    #25239035 - 05/30/18 09:22 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

I think the synthesis..is to go with the flow of the particular plant ally...and ask IT..what it needs and wants..

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Plant Teachers: Experience vs Tradition [Re: BrendanFlock]
    #25239526 - 05/31/18 02:50 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

What about the shamans in South America who lead people on Ayahuasca and San Pedro journeys. Do you think there is value in that?  Is what they do a standard of some sort?

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OnlineBrendanFlock
Stranger

Re: Plant Teachers: Experience vs Tradition [Re: Grey Fox]
    #25239532 - 05/31/18 02:58 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah just saying there are options

OfflineHamHead
Hard Ass Motherfucker
Male

Loc: Galactic sector ZZ9 Plura...
Re: Plant Teachers: Experience vs Tradition [Re: BrendanFlock]
    #25240182 - 05/31/18 12:05 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

https://psychedelicpress.co.uk/products/getting-higher-psychedelic-julian-vayne

This book, Getting Higher, is all about creating your own ceremonies and rituals, without attachment to traditions and history.

While I do agree, there is much history to be acknowledged and respected, we have to recognize that history is being written now and we have an opportunity to create our own cultures and traditions.

--------------------
The Italian researchers’ findings, published by the INT’s scientific magazine Tumori Journal, show 11.6% of 959 healthy volunteers enrolled in a lung cancer screening trial between September 2019 and March 2020 had developed coronavirus antibodies well before February.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-timing-idUSKBN27V0KF

This online first version has been peer-reviewed, accepted and edited,  but not formatted and finalized with corrections from authors and proofreaders

https://www.icandecide.org/

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Plant Teachers: Experience vs Tradition [Re: HamHead]
    #25241269 - 05/31/18 09:04 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for recommending this book! Its going on my list of books to track down and read.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Ayahuasca, San Pedro

General Interest >> Spirituality & Mysticism