Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Loc: The Netherlands Flag
weird goo in pot after steam sterilizing
    #25228016 - 05/25/18 01:58 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

As the title says.
I steam sterilized my second batch of jars a couple of days ago and the same thing happened that happened to me the first time I did it; some weird goo-like substance is left in the bottom of the pot I used to sterilize the jars in.
It doesn't seem to hinder the process at all so I'm not worried about it, I mostly just wonder what it is because I'm curious, and to figure out how I can clean the towel that I used to put in the bottom of the pot to keep the jars from touching it, as some of the goo got into the towel too, and doesn't seem to come out by just washing it.

--------------------
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.” - Carl Sagan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: weird goo in pot after steam sterilizing [Re: MeatSack] * 1
    #25228037 - 05/25/18 02:07 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

What is the towel made out of? Was it dirty? It sounds like something in or on the towel liquified and separated.

Try jar rings for a base if you like.

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

OfflineRomeoPapa
Jackass of All Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: In the middle
Re: weird goo in pot after steam sterilizing [Re: MeatSack]
    #25228042 - 05/25/18 02:07 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Do you have a picture of the mystery goo?

--------------------
It's better to have it and not need it
Than it is to need it and not have it.

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Re: weird goo in pot after steam sterilizing [Re: RomeoPapa]
    #25228416 - 05/25/18 05:20 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:
What is the towel made out of? Was it dirty? It sounds like something in or on the towel liquified and separated.

It's partially cotton, but I have no idea what the rest is made out of. Shitty label lol.
It could have been dirty. I washed it if that's what you mean. I even wash my stuff with some soda added to the washing detergent these days so it should have been fairly clean, but is anything ever really clean? lol.

Now that I think of it I could have also used that same towel to separate cannabis from a water and coconut oil mixture when I made canna-coconut oil before. It could very well be some residual coconut oil that was still present in that towel. I must have washed it a bunch of times since then though, I would hope that that would have removed everything, but who knows.

Quote:

RomeoPapa said:

Nope.

edit: @elasticaltiger, I have no idea what jar rings even are lol, let alone where to get them.

--------------------
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.” - Carl Sagan

Edited by MeatSack (05/25/18 05:29 PM)

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

#25228480 - 05/25/18 05:54 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MeatSack said:
Quote:

elasticaltiger said:

It's partially cotton, but I have no idea what the rest is made out of. Shitty label lol.
It could have been dirty. I washed it if that's what you mean. I even wash my stuff with some soda added to the washing detergent these days so it should have been fairly clean, but is anything ever really clean? lol.

Now that I think of it I could have also used that same towel to separate cannabis from a water and coconut oil mixture when I made canna-coconut oil before. It could very well be some residual coconut oil that was still present in that towel. I must have washed it a bunch of times since then though, I would hope that that would have removed everything, but who knows.

Quote:

RomeoPapa said:

Nope.

edit: @elasticaltiger, I have no idea what jar rings even are lol, let alone where to get them.

Jar rings are the things you tighten down on your spawn jars. Theres the circular lid part that you put on first, and then the jar ring that screws onto the threads.

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Re: weird goo in pot after steam sterilizing [Re: flyhighfunguy]
    #25229696 - 05/26/18 10:25 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks.
Yea I don't have those, and have no clue where to get them around here, I'm actually pretty sure they're just not a thing around here or I would have seen one before.
Not that I would buy them if I knew where to get them, I'm trying to do this as low budget as possible.
It would have to be very cheap for me to consider buying them, which is why I'm not going to order it off amazon or something, as that's bound to be too expensive for me to justify with shipping added and whatnot.

They don't even make sense to me lol. We have lids, but they're not made out of two pieces, but I'm sure there's some good reason for this I'm not aware of.

Maybe I could use the lids I have now, but they're not that high and I'm pretty sure they easily rust, which is why I probably better can't use those.

--------------------

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

#25229705 - 05/26/18 10:30 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MeatSack said:
Thanks.
Yea I don't have those, and have no clue where to get them around here, I'm actually pretty sure they're just not a thing around here or I would have seen one before.
Not that I would buy them if I knew where to get them, I'm trying to do this as low budget as possible.
It would have to be very cheap for me to consider buying them, which is why I'm not going to order it off amazon or something, as that's bound to be too expensive for me to justify with shipping added and whatnot.

They don't even make sense to me lol. We have lids, but they're not made out of two pieces, but I'm sure there's some good reason for this I'm not aware of.

Maybe I could use the lids I have now, but they're not that high and I'm pretty sure they easily rust, which is why I probably better can't use those.

Oh i didnt realize your from a different country. Maybe your jars are different where you live. All of our jars with metal lids come it two pieces, a lid and a ring. I  place some rings down in the pc and then put the metal rack that comes with the cooker on top of the rings.

You could probably use anything really. You could probably just use some balled up tin foil pieces or something, and then place the pc rack ontop of the tin foil. Get creative.

Edited by flyhighfunguy (05/26/18 10:30 AM)

OfflineBuho colorido
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#25229710 - 05/26/18 10:33 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

yeah in Europe those mason jars aren't nearly as common as in US/Canada.
You can get them on ebay for example but just use what you get, those one-piece-lids work just fine.
You can use your lids as spacers, too.

--------------------
Since english is not my native language, please excuse any misunderstandings or stange verbalizations :wink:

Edited by Buho colorido (05/26/18 10:34 AM)

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Re: weird goo in pot after steam sterilizing [Re: Buho colorido]
    #25229934 - 05/26/18 12:59 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

flyhighfunguy said:Oh i didnt realize your from a different country. Maybe your jars are different where you live. All of our jars with metal lids come it two pieces, a lid and a ring. I  place some rings down in the pc and then put the metal rack that comes with the cooker on top of the rings.

You could probably use anything really. You could probably just use some balled up tin foil pieces or something, and then place the pc rack ontop of the tin foil. Get creative.

Tin foil sounds like a good idea. I'll probably try that next time to see how that works, and to figure out if the goo came from the towel or not.
Thanks.

Quote:

Buho colorido said:
yeah in Europe those mason jars aren't nearly as common as in US/Canada.
You can get them on ebay for example but just use what you get, those one-piece-lids work just fine.
You can use your lids as spacers, too.

I just hope they won't rust and ruin my pan or something. The lids I put holes in for inoculation are already starting to rust around the holes.
For now I guess I'm going to try out tin foil balls and keep this in mind in case that doesn't work for me.
Thanks.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag