Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineapshroom
Stranger

Never success with Monotubs - maybe bacteria contamination?
    #25197020 - 05/11/18 05:58 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Hello dear Shroomery,
have been reading here very often and intensive. Have also build a flowhood after the input from here and doing some layman like mycology for some months.

I tried several Monotubs, but all without success - should be around 10 to 12 fails...
I think i first didn't really realize or understand the procedure, so here a quick summary how i do:

A spore syringe with Ko Samui was the beginning

Inoculated via port to BRF cakes and had some mushrooms

Transferred the mycelium from the inner side to agar agar plates, first i bought them, now i make them with malt, the growth is very fast and seems to be clean and homogen always. Have made maybe 50 transfers in the flowhood, always without problems of contamination. Please see pics

Then is use organic rye and verm for filling my jars after the Roger Rabbit video. I use 0,5 liter jars with 2 holes and tyvek fixated with 1 micropore above it. Rye is soaking for minimum 24 hours after washing. Then i add some gypsum in the soaking water. cooking it up for 10 mins and let all the steam go out. testing the field capacity on toilet paper

Then sterilization of the jars by pressure cooking and for some hot air autoclave from hospital

Agar transfer in the flowhood after cooling down over night - disinfection of scalpel and tweezers with flame after every step. That was on 8 of March

in the winter i had put them in my incubator, small fridge with a thermostat + ceramic heat bulb in 26-28 degrees celsius. They incubated in 2-4 weeks. Now in the summer i use just a black plastic box  on top of the shelf and they incubate in the same time, maybe faster...

Then i want to grow bulk:

Bucket Tek with a small cooling box with coco coir bricks and verm and hot water + one monotub ( first try ) with pasteurized horse poo. I used organic horse poo pellets, watered them a little and pasteurized them via Roger Rabbit video way

So there were 3 smaller tubs (30liter) and one bigger for the poo(60liter)

Monotubs have 4 holes, 2 on level of substrate and 2 up on the smaller sides

Taped all holes with 2 layers micropore and duct tape

Lined the inside with disinfected aluminum foil, nice in the corners and sprayed everything out with alcohol - let it dry

Then layer after layer substrate and bulk - all clean with gloves

No i casing layer with verm or stuff like that, i tried this and oyster gritt earlier but also without success and i think i realized that cubensis dont need top layer
But i put a cling film under the lid, because my boxes are not complete air tight

Put them on my shelf and wait... that was on 26 of March and 28 of March on the bigger poo tub

Colonized not too fast but on 14 of April i removed the duct tape on the first tubs, without one i kept closed for about a week more. This one contaminated on the surface 2 weeks later...

So now im waiting since about one month for something in my tubs, but nothing happens...
No contaminations but also no pinning, there are nice drops on the inside of the boxes and some on the substrate, it looks just nice white to me. I moved them to a window faced north and opened it a little bit for fresh air exchange

Have i started fresh air exchange to early or is maybe my spawn contaminated?
It does smell like fungi when i opened the jars but also some sweet taste. Is that the problem?
In the actual jars i made 31 of March there are some jars that dont fully colonize, but most are developing fine i hope...

Is there some big mistake in my procedure? I just ask, because my first attempts to monotubs had some fundamental mistakes in timing and fresh air exchange.

Maybe someone can help me

Alex

Monotub #1

Monotub #2

Monotub #3 Horse poo

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineapshroom
Stranger

Re: Never success with Monotubs - maybe bacteria contamination? [Re: apshroom]
    #25197026 - 05/11/18 06:03 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Here some pics from my agar plate, a not fully colonizing jar and a hopefully 100% colonized jar

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #25197036 - 05/11/18 06:14 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

That is not mushroom mycelium...It is mold.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Never success with Monotubs - maybe bacteria contamination? [Re: sandman420]
    #25197040 - 05/11/18 06:19 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Your grain spawn looks like it is colonized with pure mold. How are yo u inoculating your grain spawn? your agar plate looks like total ass also.

Koh Samui, if it's the "super strain" (KSSS) is the single worst strain I have ever grown, also. Nothing but 5mm tall carpets that are too much trouble to harvest for me. Good effect fruits, just grows stupid.

You need to go back to fresh spores most likely.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Edited by sandman420 (05/11/18 06:23 AM)

Offlineapshroom
Stranger

Re: Never success with Monotubs - maybe bacteria contamination? [Re: sandman420]
    #25198860 - 05/12/18 04:28 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you for the response!
It has some bitter irony to breed mold instead of mycelium...
Had just made 30 little agar plates and much more jars from my special strain
I must have selected the wrong white stuff out of the petri dish with mycelium...
Next time i will ask :smile:

I will try again, i have new spore syringes of: A-Strain, Dutch King, Albino A+, PF-Classic, Hawaii, Ecuador, Amazonas, Australia

What strain to try next? How to sanitize the tubs and jars the best way? Bleach?
New Hepa filter in the flowhood?

Alex

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #25198872 - 05/12/18 04:43 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

apshroom said:
Here some pics from my agar plate, a not fully colonizing jar and a hopefully 100% colonized jar

That jar is beyond fucked, there's the problem

Offlineapshroom
Stranger

Re: Never success with Monotubs - maybe bacteria contamination? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25222039 - 05/23/18 12:53 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

This is the result after letting on of the jars grow - not very impressive but it should prove that it is mycelium in the jars, not pure mold

Is it possible, that just the strain is so bad?

Is there any possibility to rescue maybe the fully colonized jars?

Offlinespace_shrooms

#25222288 - 05/23/18 06:01 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

It's not pure mold but it looks bacterial. Bacterial spawn can still fruit but it's not going to do as well.

Maybe your grains are too wet. Your incubation temps seem a bit high too, though I'm not sure about that. Room temp is fine. I have noticed bacteria are more likely to make an appearance in wetter jars, particularly when they are warm.

Offlineapshroom
Stranger

Re: Never success with Monotubs - maybe bacteria contamination? [Re: space_shrooms]
    #25224719 - 05/24/18 05:26 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Ok thanks for the info! I will throw all cultures and petri dishes away and start with a different strain and dryer grain. Maybe too much verm in it...
I let all the steam get out in the sink while mixing, but will wait next time a little bit longer to get it dryer

I just wasnt sure if i make something complete wrong in agar agar work

Can i clean all the jars and monotubs with a strong oxygen bleach solution?
Is that a flowhood problem?

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Loc: Dreamland
    #25224807 - 05/24/18 06:46 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

If your jars are holding contams, I really doubt letting your grains steam in the sink longer is going to do anything to fix that. Plus wetness inside jars after they are mostly colonized is a sign of contam... if your grains are too wet then you will see the water in the jars before they ever colonize

Somewhere in the process you aren't doing things quite right.

What is your PC process? Do you let your PC vent for 10-15min? How long do you PC?

As for the tub, your spawn in the tub shouldn't contam unless your spawn wasn't clean before going in... As long as your spawn is clean, it should be able to hold its own at least until you get some flushes in

Edited by pixelpopper (05/24/18 06:47 AM)

Offlineapshroom
Stranger

Re: Never success with Monotubs - maybe bacteria contamination? [Re: pixelpopper]
    #25229476 - 05/26/18 08:05 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Ok i will try drier grains

I pressure cook for minimum 1,5 hours, time counts when the pressure cooker starts steaming.
i also make parallel some jars with an autoclave from hospital for also 1,5 hours.
So there are two different ways in sterilization i use, but i think with the same results...

I let them cool down over night before i put them in the flowhood

So there must be point when the bacteria infects, maybe in the agar culture?

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #25229480 - 05/26/18 08:07 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Do you vent your pressure cooker before putting the weight on?

--------------------

Offlineapshroom
Stranger

#25229486 - 05/26/18 08:10 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

You mean wating some time and letting the steam get out? I think so, but not sure if it was 10-15 mins...

Is the grain maybe a problem too?

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #25229612 - 05/26/18 09:14 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

you have to purge the air out of the cooker before putting the weight on. If you do not, then the temperature inside will not be hot enough and you will have failures.

--------------------

Offlineapshroom
Stranger

#25264083 - 06/12/18 06:09 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I made a step backwards and go back to BRF with spore syringe PF Classic. All monotubs got wasted and all jars cleaned with bleach. There were no visible contamination in the monotubs, even they were more than 2 months old

From all the jars i made i took the not shittiest looking ones and put them in a stagnating monotub. Only 2 of the jars started fruiting and i birthed one like Brf inside the tub and they get big.

Is it possible to take mycelium to agar from them in flowhood or is the risk of the same bacteria too high?

OfflineNeowynd8
 User Gallery
    #25264107 - 06/12/18 06:20 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Clone by taking a piece of tissue from the inside of the mushroom and put it on agar. The inside tissue is clean.

Offlineapshroom
Stranger

Re: Never success with Monotubs - maybe bacteria contamination? [Re: Neowynd8]
    #25264222 - 06/12/18 07:08 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you, thats what i wanted to hear :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures