Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineElvish
enthusiast
California Culinary Academy
    #2338096 - 02/15/04 04:15 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I love  GOOD   HEALTHY  foood and am interested in taking it to the streets. Also, I'd like to be able to live in a closed structure sometimes called a house. So, I'm wondering, is $25,000 in college loans (from the 2nd ranking culinary school in America with a 85% graduation rate and 98% employment rate :laugh:) going to fit my needs?
Does anyone have experience with culinary schools? CCA in particular.
Was it worth it to you?
What would you do different?
ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!
THANKS  :heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: California Culinary Academy [Re: Elvish]
    #2338233 - 02/15/04 04:53 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You should check out the culinary program at LA Trade and Tech...

If you can get 25K in loans you could rent an Apt for 2 years, feed and clothe yourself plus pay for school with enough left over to rent hookers on the weekend...

La Trade is a real good culinary program and it only costs community college prices.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

OfflineGreyStreet
reborn thinker
Loc: Alpha Centuri
    #2339628 - 02/16/04 12:16 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I graduated from the Scottsdale Culinary Institute in Scottsdale, Az.  I would say that it is in fact worth going to school to learn the inside of the trade including management.  It prepared me for ownership. :biggrin:

I attended in 97-98.  The cost then was about 20,000.  Now its up to about 34,000 or so I am told.  Student loans are not bad.  They have decent interest rates.  If you are commited to the idea of going then I say go for it. :thumbup:

--------------------
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
-Gandhi

GreyStreet is a fake character who posts fake information on an internet message board.
-Nothing More-

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
    #2472759 - 03/25/04 11:09 AM (20 years, 8 days ago)

CCA seems like it would be good. And work at French Laundry when you're a student.

--------------------
...or something

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: California Culinary Academy [Re: eve69]
    #2472950 - 03/25/04 12:41 PM (20 years, 8 days ago)

I would say easier said than done ;p even externships after school is finished are difficult to come by at a place such as that.

I know I had a hard time landing in a 5 star, took a lot of work. And 99% of my class are working at shitty places, mostly hotels.

Offlineeve69
Male User Gallery

Re: California Culinary Academy [Re: Raadt]
    #2474636 - 03/25/04 08:36 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

I was working at Windsor Court Hotel which was rated #1 in the world just doing my shitty time at the local trade cooking school. It got me nowhere. It's not about resume but what you can steal with your eyes and what you have tasted. Even working at French Laundry means nothing because there's a whole world of cuisine out there. I am now working at an Italian restaurant and it opened my eyes to a different way of seeing food. My point is that making cute food oddities doesn't really match gut filling healthy and satisfying cooking. To make a simple standard like pizza well is art. To make cute little nosh is just play. Of course, people think backwards and that play like French Laundry is genius. It is creative and fun, and novel to behold, and one can pick up a bag of tricks, but it's not reality. I try to escape reality which is why I recommend working there. But it's not all there is. Nonetheless, I recommend for all cooking students that they shoot for the stars in their choice of workplace and try for the best. Keep trying for the best because in the future when everything sems mediocre and the help sucks and the sanitation of your peers sucks and the customers are stupid then at that point your only real gratification will be yourself and what you yourself consider your standard, either just getting though the day, or striving to expand the circumference of your own world through your profession.

--------------------
...or something

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: California Culinary Academy [Re: eve69]
    #2477276 - 03/26/04 02:12 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

I agree with you, very much. Also have eaten at the grill room, excellent restaurant. I was offered a job at commanders, but declined. However, it's still not an easy place to get in, regardless. I'm sure every culinary student at CCA has probably attempted to contact Keller, or whomever is the EC now.

How long ago were you at windsor court? I have a friend who worked there, maybe you know him. His name is Larry, last name started with Bre - but I don't want to punch in the rest due to obvious reasons. Though I believe he was there 10 or so years ago.

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
    #2480647 - 03/29/04 04:19 PM (20 years, 3 days ago)

I read Soul of a Chef and have much more respect for chefs and cooking schools than I did before (not that I didn't respect them before). It also showed the inside workings of Keller's French Laundry - I was impressed and intimidated. 8)

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Offlinerunnerup
student

Loc: USA
    #2522850 - 04/03/04 07:45 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Hey man i just went to the CCA a couple days ago, its not that great, i got enrolled as a student and then took the tour and i didnt like the school at all. they say they are the 2nd best in the nation but they are not. if you want to go to a real school check out the cia in newyork. they are the best in america, and one of the top in the world. Im only going to go to the CCA if i dont get accepted to the CIA in newyork or the Johnsons in rhode island. the CCA is a pretty mess school to btw. and not in a good area.

Offlineeve69
Male User Gallery

#2530780 - 04/06/04 07:32 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Raadt said:

How long ago were you at windsor court? I have a friend who worked there, maybe you know him. His name is Larry, last name started with Bre - but I don't want to punch in the rest due to obvious reasons. Though I believe he was there 10 or so years ago.

I was there almost 10 years ago but don't remember a Larry offhand. Did he work with Tunks? At any rate. People after me would remember me because I made a sandwich once with foie gras, Beluga caviar, and lobster in honor of my dying pet ferret. It got me in serious trouble. I made meyself have a good time there. Actually, now that I think of it if your friend did the banquets then yes I guess I knew him. The banquet guy brought us six packs of beer one Mardi Gras and made us drink it. That and the airline Sky vodka bottles in frozen Dixie cups called "vodka icebergs" usually for the caviar display plate.

--------------------
...or something

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order