Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best Strain for Restaurants- Warm Blue? [Re: brandwaffle]
    #25215424 - 05/19/18 09:24 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

This is what I used before I switched to soy hulls...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineQuadman
Challenged
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL Flag
    #25215640 - 05/20/18 12:03 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

brandwaffle said:
Totally agreed that it seems to vary. Heck, I've seen the byproduct labeled husks, hulls, and even chaff, so even the terminology is sketchy. This article/study seemed interesting https://projects.sare.org/sare_project/fnc15-1016/

I normally use wheat bran for supplementing blocks, but at 20%. For a test, would you go 50/50 as suggested above or supplement 20%?

The high end values are close to soy hulls ,so you should be able to go with a similar rate. Of course I'm just guessing some of what I've read sounds like thin paper. It could turn to slop?

--------------------

OfflineMorePies
Stranger
Loc: TX Flag
    #25216225 - 05/20/18 09:27 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Coffee chaff was pretty blah and I used it for a few months because it's free. Coffee grounds would be a better supplement. Distillers grain, not brewery grain, is also a good supplement as it has little residual sugar. If there is a local mill, talk to them about whatever their "waste" is at the moment. Corn grits used to be the waste from milling corn meal, but now everyone wants grits and the corn meal is the waste. People are funny.

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best Strain for Restaurants- Warm Blue? [Re: MorePies]
    #25218191 - 05/21/18 08:11 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MorePies said:
Coffee chaff was pretty blah and I used it for a few months because it's free. Coffee grounds would be a better supplement. Distillers grain, not brewery grain, is also a good supplement as it has little residual sugar. If there is a local mill, talk to them about whatever their "waste" is at the moment. Corn grits used to be the waste from milling corn meal, but now everyone wants grits and the corn meal is the waste. People are funny.

Corn is an OK supplement but unless you're south or west of Colorado you should be able to find soy hulls cheap.

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

Offlinebrandwaffle
Country Nerd
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: Best Strain for Restaurants- Warm Blue? [Re: drake89]
    #25218351 - 05/21/18 09:34 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

drake89 said:
Corn is an OK supplement but unless you're south or west of Colorado you should be able to find soy hulls cheap.

Heh, I'm in California, so guilty on both counts :grin:

My local feed store has rice hulls, which from a bit of research seems way, way lower in protein than even the coffee husks (though maybe I'm wrong). They can also get soybean MEAL, which I imagine is super, super protein-rich and might not work for completely different reasons. If either of these would be good, though, they're both really, really cheap. I can get the nutritional breakdown of the soy meal, but not the rice hulls (the former is feed, the latter is not).

I found one other post where RR mentions stopping at a local organic coffee roaster and getting some chaff (https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15858510#158585). I'm guessing that would be for wheat straw bags, so I'm going to focus my efforts there for now.

I love CA, but it's a real bummer not being able to easily get hardwood chips or soy hulls. It's all conifers, corn, and almond orchards.

If anyone has an opinion on the soy meal vs wheat bran (seems like those are my options for HWFP blocks), that would be great.

Btw, this thread has now been thoroughly thrown off course, but I do want to add I called my local Amycel folks and I'll be getting some of their 3015 and 3014 spawn. Thank you for the tip!

--------------------
Ask not for whom the waffle burns, it burns for thee.

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
    #25220518 - 05/22/18 10:07 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

I'd see about almond hulls as well

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #25221015 - 05/22/18 02:13 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Rice hulls ferment and cause to many problems if to much is used, they are not good alone.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Offlinebrandwaffle
Country Nerd
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
    #25225379 - 05/24/18 11:36 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

drake89 said:
I'd see about almond hulls as well

This seems like it's definitely the way to go! There seem to be way too many almond hulls around here, to the point where so far people have been trying to sell it to me as "truckloads" and they're not so excited about "pounds." I'm gonna keep trying though--clearly, there is plenty of supply.

--------------------
Ask not for whom the waffle burns, it burns for thee.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates