Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

Re: Touch-Sensitive Mimosa [Re: Agarico]
    #12907376 - 07/16/10 01:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Most Fabaceae plants (legumes) close their leaves for the night.  This is a type of nastic movement (as opposed to trophic movement).  Clovers, mesquites, and even Entada rheedii (African Dream Herb) close their leaves this way.  Other plants do this as well (Wikipedia gives the example of an Oxalis, but I'm not sure if I have seen a legume that doesn't do this to some degree (though I'm debating in my mind if I've seen my peas do this).

EDIT: Also Dan, Albizzia julibrissin is very hardy even here in the PNW up into Canada.  People call it by the common name Mimosa which adds to confusion.

--------------------

Edited by PoC (07/16/10 01:55 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAmbient Forest
Beyond the infinite.
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Touch-Sensitive Mimosa [Re: PoC]
    #12918480 - 07/19/10 05:38 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

At last :grin: my Mimosa Pudica are starting to sprout.

A few months & I should have a healthy garden bed full :smile:

--------------------

OfflineArmida
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Touch-Sensitive Mimosa [Re: Ambient Forest]
    #25209090 - 05/16/18 09:43 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

I know I am late to this thread but I am fascinated by this plant.
Anyone else discover they emit a fowl smell when repotted?

Mine filled the room and since I thought I might be going crazy I googled and apparently they "fart" when their roots are disturbed.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/science/sensitive-plants-fart-warn-predators-7164038

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22930554-800-farting-plants-have-a-built-in-stink-bomb-that-deters-predators/

OfflineGonzo the Eternal
In Sterquiliniis Invenitur

Re: Touch-Sensitive Mimosa [Re: Armida]
    #25209118 - 05/16/18 10:01 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

There is a RadioLab podcast called Smarty Plants that is about these. It's absolutely fascinating and discusses fungi as well. It shows that plants are capable of memory and learning and even respond to the Pavlovian experiment. I highly encourage everyone to listen. This forum above all would greatly appreciate it

OfflineArmida
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Touch-Sensitive Mimosa [Re: Gonzo the Eternal]
    #25210145 - 05/17/18 11:51 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Gonzo the Eternal said:
There is a RadioLab podcast called Smarty Plants that is about these. It's absolutely fascinating and discusses fungi as well. It shows that plants are capable of memory and learning and even respond to the Pavlovian experiment. I highly encourage everyone to listen. This forum above all would greatly appreciate it

Thanks for the tip! I love podcast on weekend mornings so will definitely find this one and give it a listen. I listen to Mysterious Universe and they talked about "mythical" moving trees in one podcast. The trees didn't walk but if threatened would drop branches on people and stuff. Many people I am sure would call that make believe but when you have met a Mimosa you have to unlock your concept of reality.

I have noticed accidentally brushing another plant gainst Mimosas doesn't trigger the reaction unless it's a big bump. My hope is to eventually also not trigger the threat response. It's good to have goals even strange ones. :sun:

OfflineLajirafa
Stranger

#25211307 - 05/17/18 08:27 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

My little mimosa that appeared on my property..along with about 20 others! At first I thought something was wrong with it when I saw it all closed up!

OfflineGonzo the Eternal
In Sterquiliniis Invenitur

#25212912 - 05/18/18 03:09 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Its not strange at all. In fact if you listen to the podcast you'd be amazed that that is actually possible. The mimosa plants are able to distinguish between threatening stimuli and non threatening. After so much exposure to safe contact they eventually remember it and stop closing up. It's a lot of work for a plant to actually move so they try to minimize energy use. They were even shown to have remembered that specific stimuli wasn't harmful after over a month of being "taught". Another part even discusses pants abilities to actually hear water underground using their root hairs.

OfflineArmida
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Touch-Sensitive Mimosa [Re: Gonzo the Eternal]
    #25214473 - 05/19/18 11:04 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Isn't that amazing! I love it thanks for sharing. I will look up the podcast today now I have time.

One time by chance I touched a leaf accidentally when I was moving another plant in the growing space and it didn't close which sort of gave me the idea I could perhaps one day not be seen as a threat. It's exciting to hear this wasn't a crazy idea.:heart:

Part of my purpose in growing all these plants/floura beings is renurturing the overall relationship we have with earth as a whole. We take what we need instead of forming co nurturing relationships and experiencing a mutual sharing of gifts. I guess really most people treat each other the same way.

Anyways in my journey with Mimosa part of that has been promising not to touch them for the fun of watching them close. I took one video so I could show people via recording instead of adding stress to them.

We shall see what they can teach me down the road.:smile:

OfflineArmida
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Touch-Sensitive Mimosa [Re: Lajirafa]
    #25214482 - 05/19/18 11:09 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Wow you must be somewhere nice and warm to have volunteer mimosa.:smile:

I have moved some of mine outside for spring/summer/fall and have a few indoors that seem happy too. They look so delicate I hesitated to expose them to the intense winds we have here. They seem quite adaptable though.

Thanks for sharing yours.:sun:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder