Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePsicomb
shroom or die
Male User Gallery

Loc: the womb
Trusted Cultivator
White mold / bacteria in agar or nah?
    #25211347 - 05/17/18 08:46 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

I recently spawned some jars that I knocked up with agar and about 50% contammed before first flush. I use pasty plates and opened a lid on another jar that was lying around to see if there was anything unusual and this is how it looked:

Is that slightly raised white circle mycelium or a contam? Really want to pin down where I fucked up. My other thought is that I got a contamination in during inoculation.  Any theories / ideas would be appreciated.

--------------------

When we constantly pull things apart trying to see how it works, we may end up with only an understanding of how to destroy something
- nick sand

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: White mold / bacteria in agar or nah? [Re: Psicomb]
    #25211362 - 05/17/18 08:53 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

How old is that dish? Its a tough call. There might be contam there or it might be older mycelium that's knotting a little. Hard to tell.

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

InvisiblePsicomb
shroom or die
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: White mold / bacteria in agar or nah? [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #25211402 - 05/17/18 09:17 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

This photo was taken 8 or 9 days after an a2a transfer.  I'm kinda leaning towards it being a mold or something. I've seen it in some other plates too that have a somewhat fluffy appearance on top in addition to the typical rhyzomorphic myc growth.

Edit: do older plates generally look a little different as they age?

--------------------

When we constantly pull things apart trying to see how it works, we may end up with only an understanding of how to destroy something
- nick sand

Edited by Psicomb (05/17/18 09:23 PM)

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
    #25211434 - 05/17/18 09:35 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Well, older plates have a tendency to pin which is triggered by the myce consuming the nutrients in the agar which in turn signals full colonization.  What you describe sounds like there may be more than one culture in there. 

Two ways to be sure are to make a few more transfers, and see if anything weird pops up, or examine a sample of the mycelium under a microscope.  On a positive note, strong fruiting genetics will cause pinning in young cultures on agar.

Edit to add, but contamination of media/substrate also signals full colonization when the myce runs into the contamination in/on the media/substrate.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Edited by hamloaf (05/17/18 09:42 PM)

InvisiblePsicomb
shroom or die
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: White mold / bacteria in agar or nah? [Re: hamloaf]
    #25211451 - 05/17/18 09:47 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Good stuff, gonna store that in the memory bank. Thanks Ham and Tiger.  Gonna play it safe and do another transfer or two with these plates.

--------------------

- nick sand

OfflineDoDecaPus
Stranger

#25215667 - 05/20/18 12:32 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Ime the fluffy raised myc tends to occur in plates where I've poured the agar quite deep. I think too much nutrition on the plate leads the myc to reach out for more places to innocculate. Whene there is a thinner layer of nutrients, it tends to rope up and move across the plate 'on an energy budget' so to speak.

Either way, that plate looks good for transferring. Make a transfer and see how the next one pans out.

OfflineDamonD
Stranger
Male

Re: White mold / bacteria in agar or nah? [Re: DoDecaPus]
    #25215754 - 05/20/18 02:00 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Looks good to me, but cant mold lay dormant on myc??

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom