Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit
    #25205944 - 05/15/18 04:49 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

https://www.axios.com/north-korea-threatens-to-cancel-trump-summit-f9eee700-97b4-4e68-9ccc-68d2745dd701.html

Quote:

North Korea has cancelled talks with South Korea scheduled for Wednesday, and threatened to cancel next month's summit between President Trump and Kim Jong-un over joint U.S.-South Korean military drills, according to South Korean news agency Yonhap.

Why it matters: This is a dramatic change in tone from North Korea, which recently released three U.S. prisoners and began dismantling a nuclear test site as part of efforts to lay the groundwork for talks with Trump. North Korea has long viewed joint drills as rehearsals for invasion, but had remained uncharacteristically silent about exercises last month. Tuesday's objections were over an air force drill that began last week.

Show less
The statement, issued via the KCNA news agency, reads in part:

"This exercise targeting us, which is being carried out across South Korea, is a flagrant challenge to the Panmunjom Declaration and an intentional military provocation running counter to the positive political development on the Korean Peninsula. The United States will also have to undertake careful deliberations about the fate of the planned North Korea-U.S. summit in light of this provocative military ruckus jointly conducted with the South Korean authorities."
State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the U.S. had "no information" on what was behind the North Korean warning:

"What we have to go on is what Kim Jong-un had said before, that he understands and appeciates the importance to the United States of having these joint exercises ... we will continue to go ahead and plan the meeting between President Trump and Kim Jong-un."
The Pentagon emphasized that that exercises were routine:

"While we will not discuss specifics, the defensive nature of these combined exercises has been clear for many decades and has not changed."
Between the lines: With one month to go before the summit, scheduled for June 12th in Singapore, North Korea appears to be testing the Trump administration's boundaries. Josh Pollack, editor of the non proliferation review, says North Korea objects to Trump's "maximum pressure" stance. "They want to see a change in tone from the US, and so far they’re not seeing it," he says.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemeowmix420
Stranger

Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: musiclover420]
    #25206056 - 05/15/18 05:47 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

hmmm no wonder they released those hostages early, cause trump was never going to make that June meeting. . .

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.E.
    #25206114 - 05/15/18 06:23 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

No problem, let them choke on the sanctions for a few more months until they are ready. Trump might even tighten the screws some more if kim starts acting up. Kim did not come around because moon asked him to sign a peace treaty. He came around because sanctions were biting hard and he was between a rock and a hard place.

Its kind of comical seeing him pulling this right now. Does he think we will call off the exercises because he doesn't like it? Ha ha. He will get no breaks of any kind until and unless he bows to the rest of trumps demands. Then it has to be verified. Mr weakling would be wringing his hands begging kim to act right and probably calling off the joint exercises.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: Stonehenge]
    #25206157 - 05/15/18 06:43 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

I see it as the opposite. Trump and his supporters have already tried taking credit for the NK peace talks, Kim knows this. If he suddenly backs out it won't look good for either side. That gives him some leverage as trump really needs a win right now...

Also this could be related to trump pulling out of the Iran deal. That doesn't send a good message to NK that whatever agreement is reached will be upheld.

We shall see how it plays out though :shrug:

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

Edited by musiclover420 (05/15/18 06:44 PM)

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.E.
    #25206185 - 05/15/18 06:59 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
I see it as the opposite. Trump and his supporters have already tried taking credit for the NK peace talks, Kim knows this. If he suddenly backs out it won't look good for either side. That gives him some leverage as trump really needs a win right now...

Also this could be related to trump pulling out of the Iran deal. That doesn't send a good message to NK that whatever agreement is reached will be upheld.

We shall see how it plays out though :shrug:

No doubt kim hates the thought trump might get credit and hates the possibility even more that he might get the nobel. But pulling any crap is just going to backfire on him so not likely he will refuse to meet or not agree to the terms. He might but all trump has to do is say "ok, take your time, we are in no hurry" he has another 6 years to go you know. Kim can't stall too long while food is almost gone along with fuel, vital replacement parts, etc practically non existent. Wait until winter and if kim has not caved all the way I'll jump over a candle stick.

Trump pulling out of the iran thing was a mistake on his part but it makes no difference. When you are desperate you do what you have to do and kim knows what he has to do. If he won't agree to terms; ok we can wait, can you kimmy?

Kim is more impressed by the syria actions than anything else but its sanctions that have broken his will. He is trying to save face now but he is running out of tricks.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: Stonehenge] * 2
    #25206252 - 05/15/18 07:33 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:
No problem, let them choke on the sanctions for a few more months until they are ready. Trump might even tighten the screws some more if kim starts acting up. Kim did not come around because moon asked him to sign a peace treaty. He came around because sanctions were biting hard and he was between a rock and a hard place.

Do you have a source for this?  North Korea has always been off limits for US businesses.  How do you 'tighten the screws' on nothing?

"Hey Kim, if you think nothing was bad, next time we'll give you NOTHING!"  :smirk:

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 2
    #25206384 - 05/15/18 08:50 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

lol trump is Kim's bitch. Trump has so much riding on this.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: Stonehenge] * 2
    #25206386 - 05/15/18 08:52 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:
No problem, let them choke on the sanctions for a few more months until they are ready.

Yes, American sanctions will seriously impact the DPRK's thriving methamphetamine, counterfeiting and human trafficking industries.  :facepalm:

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: musiclover420] * 2
    #25206393 - 05/15/18 08:56 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

We must be stupid if we think NK would think they can trust us if they agreed to get rid of all their weapons. Sheesh.

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum

Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #25206399 - 05/15/18 08:57 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

We are American.  :shrug:

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: DividedQuantum] * 1
    #25206430 - 05/15/18 09:20 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DividedQuantum said:
We must be stupid if we think NK would think they can trust us if they agreed to get rid of all their weapons. Sheesh.

I was skeptical from the start, seems like they have a history of "cooperating" temporarily when they need an advantage.

But who knows, I feel like a more competent administration could work something out. Like the Iran Deal, NK might end up negotiating something similar.

--------------------

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum

Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: musiclover420] * 3
    #25206434 - 05/15/18 09:22 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
But who knows, I feel like a more competent administration could work something out.

A more competent administration did work something out.  Then Dubya shitcanned the effort because it reeked of Clinton.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=uaP7WuiwGuaW0gKLl6uQBw&q=us+dprk+agreed+framework&oq=us+dprk+agree&gs_l=psy-ab.3.0.0j0i22i30k1.21242.23592.0.24359.15.13.0.0.0.0.111.1259.8j5.13.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..2.13.1257.0..35i39k1j0i131k1j0i20i264k1j0i131i20i264k1j0i10k1j0i22i10i30k1.0.lOG9AK1PqM0

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: chibiabos]
    #25206451 - 05/15/18 09:34 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting:

Quote:

The objective of the agreement was the freezing and replacement of North Korea's indigenous nuclear power plant program with more nuclear proliferation resistant light water reactor power plants, and the step-by-step normalization of relations between the U.S. and the DPRK. Implementation of the agreement was troubled from the start, but its key elements were being implemented until it effectively broke down in 2003.

And:

Quote:

In January 2002 U.S. President George W. Bush labeled North Korea in his first State of the Union Address as part of an Axis of Evil.[35]

In October 2002, a U.S. delegation led by Assistant Secretary of State James A. Kelly visited North Korea to confront the North Koreans with the U.S. assessment that they had a uranium enrichment program.[36] The parties' reports of the meeting differ. The U.S. delegation believed the North Koreans had admitted the existence of a highly enriched uranium program.[37] The North Koreans stated Kelly made his assertions in an arrogant manner, but failed to produce any evidence such as satellite photos, and they responded by denying that North Korea planned to produce nuclear weapons using enriched uranium. They went on to state that as an independent sovereign state North Korea was entitled to possess nuclear weapons for defense, although they did not possess such a weapon at that point in time.[8][38][39] Relations between the two countries, which had seemed hopeful two years earlier, quickly deteriorated into open hostility.

Sound familiar? Hint: Iraq "WMD's"....

:strokebeard:

--------------------

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum

Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: musiclover420] * 3
    #25206462 - 05/15/18 09:38 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Ye gods...Remember when Dubya was the nadir of the presidency?

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: chibiabos]
    #25207368 - 05/16/18 09:41 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

No shit.

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #25207385 - 05/16/18 09:45 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

But I already made my "Trump deserves all the credit for denuclearization, reunification, and world peace" banner. Fml

--------------------

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: DividedQuantum] * 3
    #25207387 - 05/16/18 09:45 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Obviously NK is not going to give up its nuclear weapons. I've been saying that this whole time. We have a bunch of amateurs with no common sense running this country now. What an embarrassment.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: The Ecstatic] * 4
    #25207399 - 05/16/18 09:49 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
But I already made my "Trump deserves all the credit for denuclearization, reunification, and world peace" banner. Fml

Stuff it in the closet next to the "trump built that wall and Mexico paid for it!" Banner

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: koods] * 3
    #25207401 - 05/16/18 09:50 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

But then i wont have room for my "trump stayed out of syria" and "trump drained the swamp" banners

--------------------

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: North Korea threatens to cancel Trump summit [Re: The Ecstatic] * 3
    #25207424 - 05/16/18 10:01 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

If I get rid of my "Obamacare: repealed and replaced" banner and my "Hillary: locked up" banner, I could make room for you.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder