Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEschalt
främling
 User Gallery

Thinking abstractly..
    #2520237 - 04/02/04 11:55 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You know how there are stages of development that describe what the human mind is capable of? Like Freud had the 4 cognitive development stages or something, well how do you know if you have, for instance, reached the 4th stage of abstract thought because supposedly not everyone will reach it, or you can fluctuate between stages. Are you guarenteed, do you think, to be capable at least of reaching a higher stage through psychedelic drug use? Just some thought I had, been wondering lately if I am even able to think abstractly . . . :confused:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMr_Gubjet

Loc: Infinitus Kosmos
Re: Thinking abstractly.. [Re: Eschalt]
    #2520282 - 04/03/04 12:12 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Eschalt said:
You know how there are stages of development that describe what the human mind is capable of? Like Freud had the 4 cognitive development stages or something, well how do you know if you have, for instance, reached the 4th stage of abstract thought because supposedly not everyone will reach it, or you can fluctuate between stages. Are you guarenteed, do you think, to be capable at least of reaching a higher stage through psychedelic drug use? Just some thought I had, been wondering lately if I am even able to think abstractly . . . :confused:

How do you know if abstract thinking isnt normal thinking?

Or how do you know if normal thinking isnt abstract thinking?

InvisibleEvilEwok
Stranger
    #2520320 - 04/03/04 12:31 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Uhh.... What?

--------------------
Now go Home.

Offlinefliped
The Lost One
Male

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: Thinking abstractly.. [Re: Mr_Gubjet]
    #2520333 - 04/03/04 12:36 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

now thats thinking abstractly mr gubjet

OfflineEschalt
främling
 User Gallery

#2520367 - 04/03/04 12:50 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mr_Gubjet said:
Quote:

Eschalt said:

How do you know if abstract thinking isnt normal thinking?

Or how do you know if normal thinking isnt abstract thinking?

Thats the problem. Eh...maybe I'll be able to think abstractly tomorrow. night.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2520371 - 04/03/04 12:55 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

According to the MBTI only 15% of the population uses abstract thought patterns...

It makes communication with the "normals" a bit difficult at times :smirk:

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

InvisibleOri
intoxicated

#2520404 - 04/03/04 01:15 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Chris, your true talent is abstract reasoning

You are good at processing complex information in a clear and logical manner. Whether understanding a project's details or seeing the big picture behind a particular strategy, you appear to be more skilled than others when it comes to putting a collection of facts to use.

Your ability to look at information abstractly also implies that you have a rich imagination. Chances are, you're one of those rare people who can mix two unrelated ideas together to come up with a great new one. Most individuals aren't as skillful as you are at applying knowledge outside of its usual context. Your combination of strategic thinking and creativity can be an incredible value in a business environment.

not exactly "abstract thought" but "reasoning"
online quiz though.. meh.. that was a couple years ago when i was much heavier into psychedelics..
nowadays i just think i'm going crazy rather than thinking "outside the box"--when i say crazy, i don't just mean wierd like i've always been.. i've been going through some insane shit lately ;/

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

#2520419 - 04/03/04 01:27 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Sometimes I catch myself before I say things to people because I realize "woah, this is way too out there for this person to understand". The logic I employed to arrive the statement makes perfect sense to me, but after years of getting strange looks from people....well yeah. However, the few friends i have that are able to pick up on it, or at least enjoy the abstract nature of my thought patterns make it worth my while.

But this tends to make me shy around people I don't know very well, I don't want to say whats on my mind because lots of times other people don't even know how to respond...awkward silences aplenty. Explains why I'm usually a lurker on these boards too....

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Thinking abstractly.. [Re: TheDude]
    #2520430 - 04/03/04 01:37 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Haha, same here. Even in fields such as math, when I had to take tests I'd get the right answer but I'd get there in such a weird way that nobody knew what I was talking about. It does make sense if you follow it based on previous knowledge, but it seems some people have problems connecting knowledge and theories. Good for us, as those that can think as such occassionally turn into great minds.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub