Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink]
    #25164084 - 04/25/18 08:55 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Damn, delosperma flowers are short lived indeed... I went to check on it and all the petals are gone at this point. About 24h I guess is the timeframe you can catch them open. Now to see if a single flower will set fruit...

Edit: also pollinated a few Sceletium flowers with a soft paintbrush, hope it works out.

--------------------
Trade List

Edited by MeanGreen (04/25/18 08:57 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Europe
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: MeanGreen] * 1
    #25177019 - 05/01/18 04:19 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

A uppdate on the progress of my 3 small Kanna seedlings.

And i have 2 pots that looks like this.

Its Delosperma Bosseranum that just popped up recently.

--------------------
A wise rat has many holes

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Loc: W-Europe
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Mateo]
    #25177191 - 05/01/18 06:39 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Mine look almost the same, Mateo! I did place one little pot outdoors as a trial a couple of weeks ago, just to see if the seedlings would survive the colder nights of April. They're the ones with the reddish stem. The pot next to it was sown on the same date, but grown indoors. The two in the back were sown a week or two later. Their soil doesn't contain any fertilizer. That experiment will need some time before showing any differences in growth I suppose. Now all four of those pots will stay outdoors, while the other S. tortuosum seedlings are kept indoors on a windowsill in a mini greenhouse, with supplementary CFL light.

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink]
    #25178191 - 05/01/18 03:09 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Kanna cutting doing its thing thanks to a very generous forum member.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Grey Fox]
    #25178574 - 05/01/18 06:19 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Nice to see you found some S. tortuosum cuttings, Grey Fox! Were they rooted already? Your climate is probably comparable to their natural habitat, so I'm interested to see how they'll do.

InvisibleGrey Fox

#25178948 - 05/01/18 09:43 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Other species of ice plant are commonly grown as landscape plants around here so I expect Sceletium tortuosum to do well also. The biggest problem seems to be that ice plants go dormant in the summer heat. This one kanna cutting I have is planted in a fairly shady area so hopefully it won't go dormant in the summer. I also planted some seeds so hopefully more kanna plants will be sprouting soon. This cutting was unrooted but its starting to show growth at the tip so maybe roots are forming.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Offlinesidvivius
south narvalo
Male User Gallery

Loc: south of France
    #25179147 - 05/02/18 01:32 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

sceletium is easy to root (but can be long sometimes), nice plant to put everywhere (especially in hanging pots)

InvisibleJayWise
Male User Gallery
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica *DELETED* [Re: sidvivius]
    #25191921 - 05/08/18 04:45 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by JayWise

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: JayWise]
    #25191937 - 05/08/18 04:54 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

My ephedra seedlings seem easy to dry out in the tops.
I hope the dont die.
I have put them in the greenhouse outside now.
What conditions Ephedra fawor?
Like humid, dry, warm, cold?

--------------------

InvisibleJayWise
Male User Gallery
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica *DELETED* [Re: Mateo]
    #25191987 - 05/08/18 05:23 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by JayWise

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineBetaBlackbird
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: JayWise]
    #25192201 - 05/08/18 07:22 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

The ephedra occur in a wide range of habitat from rocky mountain tops at 3-4000ft to sandy beaches at sea level (ie/ ephedra sinica-->ephedra distachya). Depends on the species, they all seem to tolerate the same habitat though. They are xerophytes so can handle the drought in the summer and i think the only thing to avoid is really wet compacted soil in the winter or summer. Mine thrive in cactus mixed with loamy potting mix. Same as S. tortuosum really, for the soil media anyway.

Tips do die off but you have a viable node there still :thumbup:. Your soil looks like it has algae growing on it, make sure it dries well betweem waterings. I'll snap some pics of ephedra seedlings and a neglected kanna (5 years neglected haha).

Edit: Pics or it didnt happen: Start with Kanna

Really mossy but they dont seem to mind, scratched it so the soil characteristics are obvious

Heres this guy saying let it dry out between watering, then he posts a photo with bryophytes smothering the soil haha :rolleyes:

Edited by BetaBlackbird (05/08/18 07:49 PM)

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: BetaBlackbird]
    #25192896 - 05/09/18 04:24 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

What a ginormous Kanna plant! Looks like you're keeping it in a decent sized container! Any recommended methods for germinating Ephedra seeds? I placed some seeds in water whilst under a CFL, but nothing happened. So I moved the remaining seeds to the fridge to give them a cold stratification.

OfflineBetaBlackbird
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25194740 - 05/10/18 03:37 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Its been in that 3Gal/15L? container for 3 years at least, the odd seaweed fert over summer and watering occasionally and not really at all in winter. I wonder how long they live for?

To germinate Ephedra seeds (tested with sinica, distachya, gerardiana, fragilis and intermedia). Put them in a takeaway container in between moist paper towels then leave them in the fridge with the lid cracked. Its needs to be cracked to allow FAE otherwise the seeds can go mouldy (make sure they dont dry out, the fridge has low relative humidity). Leave them in the fridge for a 3-4 days and then look for signs of germination- this breaks stratification dormancy (first sign is the micropylar cap pushing out and then the seed cracks open and the radicle emerges). As someone mentioned above the fresh seeds are best but Ephedra have a dormancy mechanism too so be patient and change the paper towel every few days and remove any dodgey looking seeds that become mouldy. Place em taproot/radicle down and cover with just less than 1/2" or 1cm of soil, that helps the cotyledons come out, not totally necessary though. 

You obviously can germinate naturally by burying in the soil in winter and then they will germ in spring but for those who are unpatient the above method works well.

Ive seen fruits with roots emerging after a rain storm, precociously germinating, transplanting these is the natural 'tek' haha. That happened with campyopoda and sinica so im guessing it happens with all or most species (maybe not E. breana with no fleshy coat though)

These are both awesome plants, Kanna with weed is a great synergy and Ephedra tea is amazing when sick, or allergy season is upon ya. I dont recommend recreational ephedra but then i dont even drink Coffee, it just deserves respect as a trad. plant medicine.

Stimulants are meh, what goes up must come down hah. Good to have in the medicine cabinet though.

Hope that helps ya and anyone else looking to germinate some seeds :thumbup:

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: BetaBlackbird]
    #25205790 - 05/15/18 03:27 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

My Ephedra seeds have been in the fridge for about two weeks. I didn't hydrate them though. Would it be advisable to try to germinate them in the fridge, or should I just sow them in room temperature, considering they already had their cold stratification? My attempt to germinate E. equisetina in lukewarm water without cold stratification failed.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25205806 - 05/15/18 03:35 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

My Ephedra Viridis seeds did germinate after i had them like a month in the refrigerator and then planted them in soil.
I had the soil in varm place between 25-28 degrees C and under strong CFL.
After a week or little less i got sprouts showing.

When i first tried sow same seeds without the refrigeration time they failed.

I have no idea if this is the right way but thats how i did it.
Other Ephedra seeds didnt germinate with same treatment and another Ephedra variety germinated without refridgeration time just planted in soil.
Seems like seed quality is important.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Mateo]
    #25205832 - 05/15/18 03:51 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Alright, thanks! Maybe I should keep them in the fridge for a little longer. Let's hope the cold stratification will wake them up!

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink] * 2
    #25235262 - 05/29/18 01:06 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

This is the effect of light intensity on the growth of Sceletium tortuosum and Delosperma bosseranum. The ones on the left have been growing outdoors, although not in constant direct sun. They're tucked away between other plant's containers, but are still in a bright spot. The ones on the right are growing indoors in front of a window. It's definitely a less bright spot, even though they get about an hour of direct sunlight a day. The preferred growth conditions of both succulents seem opposite to each other at the moment.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink] * 1
    #25246290 - 06/03/18 12:57 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Nice comparison & seedlings, PoisonDrink :thumbup:

I just noticed today that my D. bosseranum has produced seedpods. It probably did so a few weeks ago at least because I found pods that were already dried on the plant.

It really is a fast growing plant, and since I posted about the first flower it has been flowering a lot, new flowers every week.

Here's the growth in slightly over a month (1st pic taken 24/04):
->

--------------------
Trade List

Edited by MeanGreen (06/04/18 01:25 AM)

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: MeanGreen]
    #25247252 - 06/04/18 12:58 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

My Kanna and Aptenias have gone dormant for the summer.  The chickens ate the Delosperma.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25254427 - 06/07/18 03:05 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Seedpods galore! How did your S. tortuosum flower end up, MG? By the way, since you have experience in making Kanna, have you ever tried this preparation with D. bosseranum?

I placed my older Delosperma bosseranum plants outdoors a month or two ago, when it was still occasionally freezing during the night. Obviously they weren't used to this, and most of their leaves fell of. But they have since recovered and are pushing out fresh growth and flowers. Like mentioned before, these are very sturdy succulents! I'm going to keep a few outdoors next winter to see if they'll survive. They're called ice plants after all.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds