Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerockpup
Old skater punk
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere or anywhere
Re: Why Agar, is there not any modern man-made material that works better? [Re: Dr. Freeman]
    #25176699 - 04/30/18 10:41 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

I have made some jars with self-seal rtv holes-should I have a breather hole also then some layers of breathable paper tape?

I am soaking grain as we speak.

Just wondering what kinda moisture levels I should have in the grains and rice/verm cake batter-to get a good balance in the jar?Just not too wet with grain.Finger squish-48 hour soak?

--------------------
SKATE OR DIE!
RIP 1989-2001-The best of time's
I miss molly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerockpup
Old skater punk

Re: Why Agar, is there not any modern man-made material that works better? [Re: rockpup]
    #25180753 - 05/02/18 09:00 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

The jars turned out great.
I really think this is going work.It is kinda tricky to keep jars right level and upright.Ones kinda messed up, but will work.

I made a little round puck of rice/verm in middle first-then carefully poured grain around.I made it so the cake is level with grain.Next time I will try make cake taller and so grain can sit around the puck better.

Shouldn' matter if not super sterile on next tranfer,should it? The myscelium is much stronger now-? Survive better once colonized on grains?
Just poundering the next trasfer once grain done in jar.Just  tip on side shake and try get just grain-quickly do transfer, removing lid shaking into larger grain jar to expand?

--------------------
SKATE OR DIE!
I miss molly.

Offlinerockpup
Old skater punk

Re: Why Agar, is there not any modern man-made material that works better? [Re: rockpup]
    #25224351 - 05/23/18 10:37 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

The jars are awesome. I self inject the little rice cake in the middle, with a dirty ass syringe-Then the nasty ass infection stays on the cake-I let the mycelium grow to a point I can retrieve some and put onto grain surronding the cake.I remove the cake after and let the grain do its thing.

So far success-let see what happens now I transferred the grain into larger grain jar.Oh I have had one syringe that So far is success,not bad out of 12.Fucking loser spore guy.Now I have my special method, I can make use of these dirty ass nasty, hasting street puddle water syringes.

--------------------
SKATE OR DIE!
I miss molly.

OfflineDr. Freeman
An agent of Order
Male

Loc: Midgard
    #25225796 - 05/24/18 02:42 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Good to hear you had good result with Dr. Freeman's syringe cleaning method.PATENT PENDING

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Why Agar, is there not any modern man-made material that works better? [Re: Dr. Freeman]
    #25226166 - 05/24/18 05:41 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Keep in mind here, agar is just for making a solid surface to grow on. What the fungus / bacteria are actually feeding on are the nutrients you supplement it with, in our case this is usually potato dextrose or malt extract.

As you can see in the picture above, the agar is porous, these cavities can hold nutrients and water for an organism to feed off of. On top of that it's extremely cheap to acquire and it's soft enough to be cut easily yet still solid enough for the pieces you cut to stay together.  Because of this, agar is the best solidifier we have for creating a small substrate for culturing microorganisms.

Again, agar is what creates the solid substrate, the additives are what the organism is actualy feeding off of.

I hope this helps. Agar is really the bee's knees and the best option we have for observing our cultures and isolating genetics. That's why it's still being used in modern labs all over the world even a hundred and 30 years later. It has truly stood the test of time.

And I'll be damned if it isn't beautiful to look at sometimes.

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

Offlinerockpup
Old skater punk

Re: Why Agar, is there not any modern man-made material that works better? [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #25227273 - 05/25/18 08:05 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you "DR-Freeman" I will post some pictures for you-I am making some more up-I credit this success to you!The little jar idea is Totally awesome.My 3 transfers into grain jars are doing so good! I have lots of other jars of healthy transfers.

I have been dabbling with agar. I had some success, but my Tek for making plates needs to be improved.I do fear using the rice cake as a medium for you cannot tell what really is growing on it-The agar does show better what part of the mycelium to harvest for a better/cleaner transfer.

I must say The "Freeman Bacteria isolating Jars"-FBIJ-work good-I am going to play with it some more and perfect it.There much easier to have success than agar-for me anyway.So far, I should say my jars only few days old,but doing very good.

I at least have one shroom growing on what I considered some what healthy cake.I plan on making my own syringes with any I harvest.I do not want to eat any until I am certain they are safe.I can buy them any time I want-so it's not worth any risk to me or my freind's.

--------------------
SKATE OR DIE!
I miss molly.

OfflineDr. Freeman
An agent of Order
Male

Loc: Midgard
    #25228504 - 05/25/18 06:08 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

rockpup said:
Thank you "DR-Freeman" I will post some pictures for you-I am making some more up-I credit this success to you!The little jar idea is Totally awesome.My 3 transfers into grain jars are doing so good! I have lots of other jars of healthy transfers.

I have been dabbling with agar. I had some success, but my Tek for making plates needs to be improved.I do fear using the rice cake as a medium for you cannot tell what really is growing on it-The agar does show better what part of the mycelium to harvest for a better/cleaner transfer.

I must say The "Freeman Bacteria isolating Jars"-FBIJ-work good-I am going to play with it some more and perfect it.There much easier to have success than agar-for me anyway.So far, I should say my jars only few days old,but doing very good.

I at least have one shroom growing on what I considered some what healthy cake.I plan on making my own syringes with any I harvest.I do not want to eat any until I am certain they are safe.I can buy them any time I want-so it's not worth any risk to me or my freind's.

Nice to hear all is going well.
Grain to grain transfer can only go so far.
You could use grain > Agar > LC > A zillion jars of grain > Bulk.

Just use a sterile tweezers to take one clean grain into agar an then make that agar into LC.

I like using modified lids for agar.

Those lids are all around good. Can use em for PF (fuck verm barrier and micropore), grain jars, LC(Not ideal but it works) and finally for agar. Specially to make agar > LC. Keep reading and you'll see

These are half pint with grain. I couldn't find the time to work on them so they have some in vitro shrooms. It's OK. They are still good.

I dump one or two of those jars inside a bag with grain. The result after a few days is this:

Get one grain on agar and make sure it is clean. If not, do some transfers.
No need to isolate, just clean.
OK, now you have your healthy uncontaminated mycelium looking like this:

The next step is adding sterile water to your dishes.

The agar will dissolve and you will get this:

The idea is going from this:

To this:

Clean agar > clean and healthy LC > SUPER FAST GROWING JARS

If you have agar on one half pint jar and you add 50cc of sterile water you will end with 5 syringes, each containing 10cc of strong growing mycelium.

Now imagine you take 10 or 40cc of that LC and you use my LC TEK, you will have 1000cc of LC.
That is enough to make one hundred syringes.

This is a small LC, only 250cc:

Good enough for 25 syringes like this one:

Images of agar LC were taken from this post:
Pastywhyte's EzLC tek.

Images from LC bags and syringe were taken from my tek:
Easiest Liquid Culture for the incredibly lazy
The rest are from my album

The concept of using BRF puk to separate bacteria from healthy mycelium was taken from The Biopsy Method: No Mercy for Bacteria.

I hope this can really help you,

Offlinerockpup
Old skater punk

#25229036 - 05/25/18 11:39 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for taking the time for the awesome reply! I guess its back to -agar-I do not like Agar-but I have kind of figured it out.Its been months and I think my freind's gave up hope on my grow-Good thing I bought some!
I have cakes in the SGFC now also-they may be not edible,they smelt very mushroomy but looked not so good,I hope to at least make some prints out of them,I think they will be fine, I seen way worse searching around the net.-I do have 3 I am certain are good and there in there own growing chambers.

--------------------
SKATE OR DIE!
I miss molly.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate