Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Loc: W-Europe
Re: Josex' Guide to No-pour Agar. [Re: iux]
    #25166229 - 04/26/18 06:36 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

My plastic containers arrived in the mail today. As mentioned before, they're rather tricky to open smoothly. Nonetheless I'm still going to give them a go, even though it will probably require some practice to get used to. I have found an alternative method to make the little holes by using a hole punch pliers. that way I can make a neat little hole every time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Josex' Guide to No-pour Agar. [Re: Poison Drink]
    #25166263 - 04/26/18 06:52 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Visibility might even be better than my containers because the plastic is thinner, but yeah such a bummer that they won't open smoothly.

Nice nifty thing you got there to make them holes! :derfase:

Offlineiux
Tubaeformis boi

Loc: Norway
Re: Josex' Guide to No-pour Agar. [Re: Josex]
    #25166355 - 04/26/18 08:04 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah good use of the tool indeed :tongue2:

--------------------
Remember to be respectful to each other, be kind, and enjoy life in a responsible way :happyheart:

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Josex' Guide to No-pour Agar. [Re: iux]
    #25166776 - 04/26/18 12:42 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

It's normally used to make extra holes in a belt. You need to exert some force to get it through, but it works fine with this type and thickness of plastic. I was afraid it might shatter the container, but I guess PP doesn't have this property.

@Josex: How do you clean out these containers after use? I didn't know you could reuse MP tape filters until I read this TEK. I use these filters for my grain jars too, but I would always replace the tape, which is a bit of a hassle. I would usually scrub them clean in water and put them in the dish washer.

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25166779 - 04/26/18 12:45 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

No need to wash them with water, that's a hell of a hassle.

This is in the OP, it's what I do:
Quote:

Josex said:
CLEANING THE PLATES AFTER USE

Due to the fact that these containers are very rigid plastic, they don't allow you to squeeze the agar puck out like glad mini rounds. Instead, I take my scalpel and detach the puck from the very edge using the tip of the blade. It comes out easy and quick and weird enough, I find it to be a strangely satisfying task. :lol:

Then I wipe down the cup and the lid with a dry paper towel, snap the lid on and store the empty plates like that for later use.

If you use MP tape for grains jars too I'd def replace them everytime in that case.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25166821 - 04/26/18 01:14 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Alright I seem to have missed that, thanks! Why would it make a difference between grains and agar though? Also, if you had a contamination, could you still reuse the MP tape without any problems?

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25166861 - 04/26/18 01:40 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Poison Drink said:
Why would it make a difference between grains and agar though?

MP tape by itself as a filter for grain jars gets pretty beaten up during the PC cycle alone. There is a lot of gas exchange going on through the filter while you vent the PC and the tape gets brownish with grain particles.

Also, the tape will suffer during colonization with all that biological activity taking place, not the case with agar plates.

MP tape can be used for grain jars but it's less than ideal, can't you source polyfil instead? That's a very good filter and dirt cheap, and if you stuff it right and tight it will also be good for several PC cycles.

Quote:

Poison Drink said:
Also, if you had a contamination, could you still reuse the MP tape without any problems?

You mean containers for agar? Of course, you'll have to pc them again anyway, everything on the filter gets killed.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25166946 - 04/26/18 02:16 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe I should look into using SFD's. Here in the EU I never really came across polyfill. It might be sold under another name though. I recently started with this hobby again so I should do some reading up. But anyway, I won't continue going off-topic in your thread.

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25166951 - 04/26/18 02:18 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Poison Drink said:
It might be sold under another name though.

Polyester stuffing. I can't source it locally myself. Ebay is a great thang, though. :wink:

OfflineDr. Freeman
An agent of Order
Male

Loc: Midgard
    #25166971 - 04/26/18 02:31 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Poison Drink said:
Maybe I should look into using SFD's. Here in the EU I never really came across polyfill. It might be sold under another name though. I recently started with this hobby again so I should do some reading up. But anyway, I won't continue going off-topic in your thread.

Polyfill can be found inside hypoallergenic pillows and stuffed teddy bears.

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Josex' Guide to No-pour Agar. [Re: Dr. Freeman]
    #25166986 - 04/26/18 02:34 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

True that, but I've found not all poly is the same quality, I ripped apart quite some pillows in the past and the poly was shitty indeed.
These bags they sell on Ebay for toy stuffing are usually pretty good, it will go a long way too.

Invisiblemindblowing
Stranger Danger

#25172124 - 04/28/18 05:11 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Josex you're awesome man, the amount of time you've put into helping others.

Top bloke, with the receipe With 16,5 grams of agar, 16,5 grams of LME and 1100 ml of water I can make 120 plates.

With that there in place looks like the receipe i used was waay off (got it off youtube)

I just want to make about 8 plates, Going by that... 16.5 divded by 120 = 0.1375gram per plate, So if i only want to knock up 8 plates, would 1.1grams of each be enough? This is very confusing to find the right ratio/math to work on when I've read so much different info.

I could of sworn i used 5grams of each i used Liquid malt aswell with 500ml of water or 250ml i forget, read a few teks etc so much miss-infomation out there it's not funny. My agar did not set properly i think due to i didn't disolve it with heat just stirred, loaded & PC'ed. Looks like i've still got growth though.

--------------------

Edited by mindblowing (04/28/18 05:13 PM)

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Josex' Guide to No-pour Agar. [Re: mindblowing]
    #25173362 - 04/29/18 11:29 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

First thing you need to know is that when we refer to nute strenght or agar strength in percentages we're actually talking grams per 100ml of water. So for instance, 2% agar strength means 2 grams per 100ml of water.
I'd recommend you do the standard at first (2% nutes and 2% agar), because not all agar are the same and the strength may vary from brand to brand.

Usually, with 120ml of water you can make from 8 to 12 plates if you're using 100ml containers, it varies depending on how wide the bottom of the container is. Best way to know for sure how many ml of water per container you need is taking a syringe and squirting as much water as you'd do if you were pouring actual agar, then multiply those ml you used by the number of containers you're going to be using.

For example, imagine you're gonna make 14 plates. Let's say each plate will receive 10ml of water (140ml in total), plus 20ml more because you don't wanna run short by accident, so 160ml in total.

The following is the equation you always need to do, so for this example we're gonna make agar at 2% nute strength and 2% agar strength, using 160ml of water:

1. Multiply total amount of water by nute strength:
160*2 = 320
2. Divide the result by 100:
320/100 = 3,2.
3. The result is the number of grams of nutrients you need to make agar at 2% nute strength for 160ml of water, so in the example you'd need 3,2 grams of nutes.

The result in the example is also going to be 3,2 grams of agar in this case, because both nutes and agar are 2% strength. So you'd need 160ml of water, 3,2 grams of agar and 3,2 grams of nutes. But you'd need to do the equation again if you wanted to do 1,5% agar strength.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25174120 - 04/29/18 06:18 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

How long would you normally wait after PC'ing to unload? I noticed some of my containers were dented after taking them out. I would let the PC release its pressure naturally, and after that I would give it another five minutes before unloading the PC. Maybe this is too early, because the containers and agar are still very hot. The little hole with MP filter might not be able to keep up equalizing the pressure due to large temperature differences? Also, if I open up the PC I hear some crackling noises. Anyway I see there will be a learning curve using these containers! Nonetheless I PC'd two batches of 15 containers two days ago, and none seem to be having any contamination as of yet.

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25174138 - 04/29/18 06:26 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

My holes are smaller than yours and I don't have those problems. I open the PC as soon as the pressure drops, no weird sounds or dented containers. Mine are thick plastic but I don't see why you'd have those issues with thinner plastic. You're using MP tape (3M brand) right? It allows plenty of GE to prevent the containers from warping during the PC cycle and also when you take them out hot, so the temp difference shouldn't be a problem.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25174171 - 04/29/18 06:43 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, two layers of micropore 3M brand. I did notice those dented containers were all next to each other on the table top, so they must have come from the same layer in the PC. I don't recollect if it were the top or bottom ones though. I will keep an eye on it the next time. I did however skip the aluminum foil step, since I ran out of it. My PC only holds 15 containers so I didn't mind to carefully dry them off this time. Could this have caused it?

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25174193 - 04/29/18 06:55 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

If you don't use the layers of foil and instead stack them normally in the PC they'll form a vacuum between the lid of the container below and the bottom of the container above, but idk if that could be the cause for the dented containers, I did that a couple times with mine and didn't have any issues. Maybe some containers got dents from contact with the lid of the PC? Def use foil next time.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25174251 - 04/29/18 07:20 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

They came off each other smoothly, so I wouldn't say that's the problem. The upper containers weren't touching the lid, but they might have been touching the side of the PC. Next time I will try to keep them off the side and see how it goes. Anyway, I'll just need to do some trail and error with these! Thanks for your help.

Invisiblemindblowing
Stranger Danger

#25180077 - 05/02/18 02:19 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Josex man,

Got any idea why my plates didn't set?

I took in all that infomation about making up agar i understand that shit, Cheers dude. So i just whipped up 250ML so 5g, i put it on the stove disvoled it for 2 minutes or so, Poured it into my containers and it set fine was pretty firm in 30 seconds or so, seems to have no problems setting..

Alright so i put them in my PC 2 layers of micropore tape, Paper town over that and wrapped in alfoil and loaded in my pc. As i read it does not matter bringing the temp up slowly.. So i put it on full heat got the pressure to 15PSI and PC'ed for 45 minutes. Now i finished the cycle at 11PM set an alarm for 3hours but i didnt fucking wake up... So it's been 7hrs untill i got to unload the containers i know that's to long but they should of still set?

Okay so what the fuck happened plates came out with moisture in them and not set one bit, there fucked. It defintly seems like the PC has over boiled them or something, 45 minutes to long? Aswell as getting it to 15psi etc that's close to an hour pc'ing is that to long? You sure we should not bring the PC up slowly? I'm just thinking last batch of agar i did i brang it up very slowly and it didn't seem to fuck the agar like last time. The agar is pretty dam runny not set at all, So at what stage it seems like the PC has got the agar to hot and fucked it, idk.. I'm pretty bummed about this, this fucking sucks. It's a long cycle to have these come up fucked...... :frown:(((

Thanks man

--------------------

Edited by mindblowing (05/02/18 02:22 PM)

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Re: Josex' Guide to No-pour Agar. [Re: mindblowing]
    #25180109 - 05/02/18 02:38 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Your question is a thread jack and should be answered where you posted it the first time to the tcs or start your own thread.

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder