Home | Community | Message Board

ElevationChemicals.com - Reagent Test Kits
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon Agar, pH Test Strips, Portable Greenhouse, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleInocybe
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Spain
Coprinus comatus indoor & outdoor (Pics) * 5
    #25164871 - 04/25/18 06:09 PM (3 years, 23 days ago)

Just wanted to share some progress I'm making with Coprinus comatus. The culture is from a wild clone I found last year growing at the base of a tree planted on street at an urban area. The shaggy mane thrived there probably because of the fertilizers they use for that kind of planted trees on urban areas (and also the urine from dogs). It was a hassle to obtain a clean culture, and the growth on agar was very weird at first, but eventually got nice to work with and finally achieved a pure isolate.

The first grow was last year:

Quote:

Inocybe said:
Last year I tried Coprinus comatus clone from wild on different substrates but only suceed fruiting it outdoors on a straw bed. This year I'm going to try it indoors again.

As I said, this year I tried it again on different substrates. The first try was on pasteurized compost (the same used to grow Agaricus). Colonization was completed 2 week later. Three weeks after full colonization, it was cased with pasteurized 50/50 pH 8,5. Incubated for 4 days until mycelia appeared on surface covering about 25%. Scratched with a sanitized fork and moved to outdoor greenhouse (because I was improving the indoor one). After about 2 weeks, primordia appeared on surface. I think few primordia appeared because here we had suddlenly hot days, so the casing surface got dry some days.

I misted the surface and moved it to indoor greenhouse  when I finished the new humidification/fae system. Indoor, mushrooms continued to develop well, helped by the good temperature (18-20ºC) and %RH fluctuating between 80-95%.

Now I'm waiting for the others bags I've made. One of them is same substrate (pasteurized compost), cased with same recipe. The other bag is sterilized coffee grounds/oak sawdust/vermiculite, also cased. They were cased 2 days ago and moved directly to indoor greenhouse (without casing incubation), the same I've made with the last batch of kings.

After my limited experience with this species, and after reading some stuff about it, I think the cold shock/temperature swings play a great part in fruiting induction. Also read that casing must be unpasteurized, but the last experience showed that even being pasteurized, it fruited. I don't discard the possibility of a failed pasteurization (because that time I tryed to pasteurize a high amount on a bucket sitting on on a big pot, and maybe it wasn't fully pasteurized).

Anyway, next season I will make more significant trials with this strain, and keep you posted. Any input is greatly appreciated :thumbup:

UPDATED 17/02/2019

This time I made 2 trays, one moved to outdoor greenhouse (18 january) and the other tray was kept inside a room (indoors, without controlled conditions, just an empty room). For the moment only the indoor one has fruited.

-Grown indoors (same strain from previous growths, from wild clone).
-Seems like cold shock isn't strictly necessary (unless misting with cold water is enough to act as "cold shock").
-Substrate: store bought composted manure, pasteurized 1h30min at 65-71ºC
-Inoculated with high spawn ratio (rye) on 26/12/2018.
-Colonized on 02/01/2019
-Was left consolidate 12 days from full colonization.
-Casing 50/50 amended with lime, pH 7.1 (applied on 14/01, scratching top mycelium before applying casing)
-Misting daily to keep casing moist (it was at room temperature [17-20ºC] inside of a non climate-controlled room).
-Primordia appeared on 31/01.
-Harvest time could have been on 14/02 (but i let them go inky).

Edited by Inocybe (02/17/19 07:52 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineChwyn
Bacteria Rancher

Re: Coprinus comatus indoor & outdoor (Pics) [Re: Inocybe]
    #25165513 - 04/25/18 10:22 PM (3 years, 23 days ago)

wow thats so cool! I really need to go mushroom hunting before it gets too hot.

--------------------

OfflineShirak
Uhhhh
Male
Re: Coprinus comatus indoor & outdoor (Pics) [Re: Chwyn]
    #25165530 - 04/25/18 10:31 PM (3 years, 23 days ago)

WOOO very cool!  Where my son goes to school there is a huge patch out in the field where they practice running, soccer, etc.  It pops up in the Fall when it's cold and wet and then we have a few warm sunny days.

OfflineSpindlymass
wafer thin.
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Coprinus comatus indoor & outdoor (Pics) [Re: Shirak]
    #25166473 - 04/26/18 12:04 PM (3 years, 22 days ago)

Great to see! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

A few of us are at various stages of a C. comatus grow your info and experience will go a long way to our success.

I'll reference this thread over there
:solidnod:

--------------------
enough knowledge to get into trouble. Not nearly enough to get out again.

InvisibleInocybe
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Coprinus comatus indoor & outdoor (Pics) [Re: Spindlymass]
    #25166651 - 04/26/18 01:44 PM (3 years, 22 days ago)

thank you guys!

Quote:

Spindlymass said:
Great to see! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

A few of us are at various stages of a C. comatus grow your info and experience will go a long way to our success.

I'll reference this thread over there
:solidnod:

Nice to know!! hope you succeed too! I will check that thread, the more data we have, the better!

OfflineHaywire
Wetspot Wizard
Male

#25166739 - 04/26/18 02:20 PM (3 years, 22 days ago)

:murray:

great grow!

--------------------
Ciao mamma, guarda come mi diverto

My grows :mushroom2: Outdoor patches

InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

Re: Coprinus comatus indoor & outdoor (Pics) [Re: Haywire]
    #25179901 - 05/02/18 02:22 PM (3 years, 16 days ago)

Nice job buddy, I have been thinking a cold shock would help my attempts to fruit comatus indoors, the specimen I captured from the wild fruited all of a sudden during a distinct weather change and that has stuck in my memory.

I also wonder if light plays a difference, tbh I fruit most of my mushrooms without light at all really, I've never noticed a big enough difference for me to be bothered with it but I recently heard oysters respond more to light than other species.

Given how powerful the sun is compared to indoor lighting, I wonder if outdoor light penetration into substrate helps them pin.

Probably not. But these are the mini tests I hope to run in the next few months, have a few small trays that I will cold shock before fruiting, I'm thinking a few that I will induce a temp swing giving it a day and night temp and another that I expose to partial sunlight.

The only other variable I can think of atm is perhaps a mycorhizzal relationship with a plant or something, why some things fruit better in wild than indoors. I need to read more about that, but I think I can attempt to cover that variable with this little spice garden I'm getting going and maybe some other foods I'll grow.

--------------------
My name is not a proclamation but a reminder of how to carry myself.

How I made my mush GH                              How I make chocolates

Cannabis

InvisibleInocybe
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Coprinus comatus indoor & outdoor (Pics) [Re: Humble Newcomer]
    #25179932 - 05/02/18 02:47 PM (3 years, 16 days ago)

Thanks! I think its more cold shock/temperature swings that a mycorrhizal relationship, because I grew it outdoor without plant company, and also find it on compost piles without plants. Maybe some actinobacteria play a roll on it.

Keep us posted with your findings :thumbup:

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
    #25180011 - 05/02/18 03:36 PM (3 years, 16 days ago)

Great job growing those and great line of inquiry :thumbup: :mushroom2:

InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

Re: Coprinus comatus indoor & outdoor (Pics) [Re: Solipsis]
    #25184362 - 05/04/18 06:09 PM (3 years, 14 days ago)

You may be onto something, I'm putting mycomatus tray in a Ziploc in the fridge for an hour as a cold soak to rehydrate and to cold shock it.

I only have the one right now but it's been open air fruiting ffor two or three weeks now and it's still strong and fill size, not shrunk or showing signs of contam.

It'd a hardy species it seems. These observations combined with how fast and aggressive it is.

Thanks for sharing I hope to replicate some of your success soon :smile:

--------------------

Cannabis

InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

#25287394 - 06/23/18 03:41 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Inocybe a few questions if you don't mind

You mentioned you had tried a few substrates but settled on pasteurized compost mix u use for agaricus.

1) how long did you let it compost or do you always have a pile going?

2) what other subs did you try and was there success? For example the coffee ground / sawdust / verm?

3 ) can you describe the temperature swing you induced on your comatus that you credit for fruiting? I see you brought them inside to room temp after GH was modified

--------------------

Cannabis

InvisibleInocybe
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25818126 - 02/17/19 07:48 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Humble Newcomer said:
Inocybe a few questions if you don't mind

You mentioned you had tried a few substrates but settled on pasteurized compost mix u use for agaricus.

1) how long did you let it compost or do you always have a pile going?

2) what other subs did you try and was there success? For example the coffee ground / sawdust / verm?

3 ) can you describe the temperature swing you induced on your comatus that you credit for fruiting? I see you brought them inside to room temp after GH was modified

My apologies man!!! didn't see your questions until now!!

1)The compost that was used on the plastic container grow was given to me by a man who works on agaricus farm.
2)Coffee grounds and straw, but also grew mycelium on sawdust mix and plain straw.
3) I put it on my outdoor greenhouse during april, so nights could have been at 6-10ºC

UPDATED

This time I made 2 trays, one moved to outdoor greenhouse (18 january) and the other tray was kept inside a room (indoors, without controlled conditions, just an empty room). For the moment only the indoor one has fruited.

-Grown indoors (same strain from previous growths, from wild clone).
-Seems like cold shock isn't strictly necessary (unless misting with cold water is enough to act as "cold shock").
-Substrate: store bought composted manure, pasteurized 1h30min at 65-71ºC
-Inoculated with high spawn ratio (rye) on 26/12/2018.
-Colonized on 02/01/2019
-Was left consolidate 12 days from full colonization.
-Casing 50/50 amended with lime, pH 7.1 (applied on 14/01, scratching top mycelium before applying casing)
-Misting daily to keep casing moist (it was at room temperature [17-20ºC] inside of a non climate-controlled room).
-Primordia appeared on 31/01.
-Harvest time could have been on 14/02 (but i let them go inky).

Invisiblerams
MushTafa
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mt. Everest Base camp
    #25818277 - 02/17/19 09:26 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

wow... those are FAB.. :super:

Why didnt you eat them.?

--------------------
Rams' DIY spawn bags

Trade List

Edited by rams (02/17/19 09:27 AM)

OfflineQuadman
Challenged
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL Flag
Re: Coprinus comatus indoor & outdoor (Pics) [Re: rams]
    #25818533 - 02/17/19 11:49 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

:wowz:

--------------------

InvisibleInocybe
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25818685 - 02/17/19 01:38 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

rams said:
wow... those are FAB.. :super:

Why didnt you eat them.?

Thank you!

I didn't eat them because wanted to capture the full sequence and drink beer that night :tongue:

OfflineSpindlymass
wafer thin.
 User Gallery

#25819595 - 02/17/19 09:04 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

You're rocking it Ino! :rockon:

It makes me want to get my culture out of storage and try again!

--------------------

InvisibleInocybe
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Coprinus comatus indoor & outdoor (Pics) [Re: Spindlymass]
    #25820174 - 02/18/19 05:05 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Spindlymass said:
You're rocking it Ino! :rockon:

It makes me want to get my culture out of storage and try again!

Thank you! :wink:

I encourage you to do it! you could try with store bought composted manure if you don't want to make your own compost, it seems to work fine! seems like it only needs casing, room temp and misting daily to keep the casing moist :thumbup:

I also put one small bag made with the same substrate and same casing on fridge at 6ºC or so for 3 days and then put at room temperature, misting daily, and it fruited too.

Invisiblerams
MushTafa
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mt. Everest Base camp
    #25820182 - 02/18/19 05:17 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

how is the straw substrate.. i have seen people in asia specially thiland cultivating on straw and the flushes were mammoth...

--------------------
Rams' DIY spawn bags

Trade List

InvisibleInocybe
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25820307 - 02/18/19 07:35 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

rams said:
how is the straw substrate.. i have seen people in asia specially thiland cultivating on straw and the flushes were mammoth...

Yea I have read that C. comatus is being grown on thailand on composted straw on greenhouses and it fruits quickly.

If it helps, 2 years ago I inoculated this strain on pasteurized barley straw and colonized nicely. After that i used that straw to inoculate a bed made of manure, coffee grounds and straw. It colonized fast but only few fruits formed (bad luck i guess). The thing with straw is that molds could grow on it, while composted manure is more selective substrate that favors compost loving species.

OfflineSpindlymass
wafer thin.
 User Gallery

#25820978 - 02/18/19 03:32 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

I've got  a lot of composted sheep manure + straw. I'll give that a try this time. Do you think sterilizing the sub would inhibit fruiting? Perhaps just the casing needs to be pasteurized or left alone to induce fruiting?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon Agar, pH Test Strips, Portable Greenhouse, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms