Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSkorpino
Stranger
Loc: Germany Flag
First grow, bad result...any ideas?
    #25161798 - 04/24/18 08:13 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Hi,

I tried to grow some shrooms for the first time... unfortunately there is no way to grow them inside my appartment, thats why I built a growbox for my basement.

It's a styrofoam-box with heating and a ultrasonic-humidifier. I programmed the control to 77°F and 90% humidity. Also I installed a 4W 450nm LED-light (12h). Its very sterile and the incoming air flowes through filters.

I bought 3 Mexican XXL-growkits and I'm sure they were okay...only in one of them grew some (~10) pins and they opened up at a size of max. 1cm. In both other kits: nothing...
A friend grows another kit (we bought them together) inside the sheduled plastic bag at the window in his appartment, we started at the same time, and his first flush is already harvested...

So...could you help me - whats wrong? Can I rescue the Growkits? I'm sure there is no contamination because of the very sterile circumstances, also we bought already populated cakes, so they should be a little resistant to germs I think...

Thanks a lot bevorehead,
Dennis

PS: Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Germany...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleApples in Mono
Not a puppet

Re: First grow, bad result...any ideas? [Re: Skorpino]
    #25161806 - 04/24/18 08:21 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Can you post pictures of this set-up and the substrate?

OfflineSkorpino
Stranger
Re: First grow, bad result...any ideas? [Re: Apples in Mono]
    #25161832 - 04/24/18 08:41 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Yes..

Box
https://image.ibb.co/mmnp8c/IMAG0175.jpg

All Kits:
https://image.ibb.co/gg4Qgx/IMAG0167.jpg

Tiny Shrooms:
https://preview.ibb.co/cAWcuH/IMAG0195.jpg

...no Shrooms...
https://image.ibb.co/jLJe8c/IMAG0199.jpg

PS: There will be a V2.0 of the box for sure. Its only a prototype...so please, if you find any needs of improvement, tell me :smile:

Edited by Skorpino (04/24/18 09:04 AM)

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #25161876 - 04/24/18 09:19 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

uh. that 'chamber' doesnt work. so dont use it. thats an insanely over complicated contraception.

OfflineP.Avgvst
Male

Re: First grow, bad result...any ideas? [Re: mushboy]
    #25161890 - 04/24/18 09:27 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. Looks like a nice setup. What I think that can be your problem is that maybe in your basement there is not much air flow. To pin and grow, one of the most important things is lots of O2 and little CO2, that the mycelium itself produces. I would guess that this is the difference between yours and the one from your friend. If you can’t move it somewhere else, maybe you can add an aquarium compressor os something to promote air exchange.

And why blue lights? I never heard about using them exclusively for mushrooms. They are not the problem, of course, but I just found curious.

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: First grow, bad result...any ideas? [Re: P.Avgvst]
    #25161895 - 04/24/18 09:30 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Can you post pics on site? Most users dont like going offsite for media.
:borat:

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

OfflineP.Avgvst
Male

#25161898 - 04/24/18 09:31 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Not air flow. I mean, isn’t the air in your basement too stagnated (stale?)? Sorry, english is not my first language too.

Offlinedont trust midgets
your HIGHness
I'm a teapot

#25161904 - 04/24/18 09:33 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mushboy said:
uh. that 'chamber' doesnt work. so dont use it. thats an insanely over complicated contraception.

That chamber looks like it would suffer from a serious lack of FAE

--------------------
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #25161906 - 04/24/18 09:35 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

P.Avgvst said:
I can’t see why it wouldn’t work.

because it didnt work?

when the results are described as 'bad, tiny, no shrooms', that means its not working.

OfflineP.Avgvst
Male

#25161917 - 04/24/18 09:39 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mushboy said:
Quote:

P.Avgvst said:
I can’t see why it wouldn’t work.

because it didnt work?

when the results are described as 'bad, tiny, no shrooms', that means its not working.

Sure, but not necessarily thrash the whole thing. I think it just need better air exchange to be a great chamber.

InvisibleApples in Mono
Not a puppet

#25161924 - 04/24/18 09:40 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

I haven't seen the pictures cuz they won't load for me- bad reception ATM. But it sounds like the substrate is probably oversaturated

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: First grow, bad result...any ideas? [Re: Apples in Mono]
    #25161927 - 04/24/18 09:42 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

fuck ill just upload it myself:shake:

:horrified:

the feds would think thats a dirty bomb or seomthing:lol:

Edited by mushboy (04/24/18 09:44 AM)

OfflineSkorpino
Stranger
    #25161976 - 04/24/18 10:11 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Hey,

sorry I wasn't online and I didn't know were I can upload them...now I know:

The air flow is high. I have ventilators in use, airflow inside the box through the Filters is ~1 litre per minute (too much?). The building is new, basement is dry and very well ventilated. I know, it looks dirty, but trust me, the quantity of germs is much lower then the quantity inside an appartment...

I read about the 450nm here

The box doesn't work...yeah...I see... the question is - why, what can I improve? :laugh:

Oversaturated substrate: hmm. How can I check this? Its possible. To start growing I used aqua ad injectabilia but for the humidity I use destilled water. It could be, that the substrate absorb it from the air because of osmosis, but its unlikely (I work in a microbiologic laboratory, we always do it in this way in our humidicribs. Unfortunately I couldn't buy one of them, because $$ ) :laugh:

Edited by Skorpino (04/24/18 10:19 AM)

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #25161985 - 04/24/18 10:15 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

my advice is limited to simple plastic totes at room temp with ambient/cfl lighting grown in a closet.

no clue how to troubleshoot science projects:crazy:

OfflineSkorpino
Stranger
    #25162001 - 04/24/18 10:22 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Well, as I said, I cannot grow inside my appartment. And in the basement are around 62°F, whithout heating its too cold and there is no possibility to heat. If I use heating peds, too muchs water condenses at the cool foil bag (I tried). Thats why I built this box. I can reduse the humidity down to min. 20%. Tell me, what would you do?

Oh I forgot: do you think, the shrooms are dead or can I reach something if I change something? For example change the light to cfl etc?

Edited by Skorpino (04/24/18 10:45 AM)

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #25162108 - 04/24/18 11:06 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

why cant you use a normal monotub in the basement with a space heater?

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Offlinemushhiehunter
Trichodermatologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Česká republika Flag
Re: First grow, bad result...any ideas? [Re: JHOVA]
    #25162144 - 04/24/18 11:27 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Hmmm.... I think you should not keep the humidity constant, the evaporation is a major pinning trigger. eg: let it go to 95% and let it drop to 70% and so on. Mushrooms can grow big even without light (yeah yeah, kill me) so I don't think the light is the problem.

Were the two growkits live mycelium type?? If so, were they both the same isolate? It could also be genetics.

If I were you I would put some PF cakes in your contraption and experiment with the settings. And yeah, good old monotub works like a charm, but you gotta do with the environment you got.. GL!

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, bad result...any ideas? [Re: mushhiehunter]
    #25162162 - 04/24/18 11:40 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Looks dry.

Your 'programed Humidity' isn't doing anything for you.

Your friend is getting better results on the windowsill because he is dialing his surface conditions in.

Surface conditions are everything. You can grow in 1% humidity in the open air just by misting your substrate frequently.

Mist your trays gently and allow time for the moisture to evaporate a little before misting again.

You might want to give those trays and dunk for a couple hours just to hydrate them.

You don't need to worry about sterile conditions when it comes to fruiting. Your chamber there is not 'sterile' even if you think it is. The moment you expose your substrate to open air sterility is gone so stop worrying about it.

As far as the LED goes I've never used em so I don't know how well they work.

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

OfflineSkorpino
Stranger
    #25162212 - 04/24/18 11:58 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Hey,

well...the box is basically a monotub with space heater... the difference is the styrofoam around (against condensation) and the humidity control. I gonna try the humidity variation, thanks :smile: maybe they will grow now, we will see.

If all kits were the same type I dont know. We bought all 4 from the same online-smartshop (shayanashop) in one order, they came together.

A few minutes ago I harvested the tiny shrooms, because the heads opened and I want to get another flush. The mycelium looks strange as compared to the growkits I know from friends. Its very well formed, many bulky filaments etc if it helfs to find the reason. I try to take a photo. In addition, there are some blue-green discolorations all over the substrates. Looks like the discolorations, shrooms get by touching them. Maybe its a contamination...don't know. I did a smear test and will consider it in the institute, but if it is another fungus, is will last at least 4-10 days until I can see it. Wait and see...

Thanks a lot guys :smile: Would be glad to know, if you have further Ideas.

Edited by Skorpino (04/24/18 12:09 PM)

OfflineSkorpino
Stranger
    #25162246 - 04/24/18 12:12 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Sorry for doubleposting, but I don't know were to add images while editing a post...

Don't know but...in my oppinion it looks strange...

Offlinemushhiehunter
Trichodermatologist
Male User Gallery

Re: First grow, bad result...any ideas? [Re: Skorpino] * 1
    #25162250 - 04/24/18 12:14 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Skorpino said:
Hey,

well...the box is basically a monotub with space heater... the difference is the styrofoam around (against condensation) and the humidity control. I gonna try the humidity variation, thanks :smile: maybe they will grow now, we will see.

If all kits were the same type I dont know. We bought all 4 from the same online-smartshop (shayanashop) in one order, they came together.

A few minutes ago I harvested the tiny shrooms, because the heads opened and I want to get another flush. The mycelium looks strange as compared to the growkits I know from friends. Its very well formed, many bulky filaments etc if it helfs to find the reason. I try to take a photo. In addition, there are some blue-green discolorations all over the substrates. Looks like the discolorations, shrooms get by touching them. Maybe its a contamination...don't know. I did a smear test and will consider it in the institute, but if it is another fungus, is will last at least 4-10 days until I can see it. Wait and see...

Thanks a lot guys :smile: Would be glad to know, if you have further Ideas.

....blue-green discolorations all over the substrates........

it's official, your sub is dry as fuck :smile:

Offlinemushhiehunter
Trichodermatologist
Male User Gallery

#25162271 - 04/24/18 12:21 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

And one more thing, 1l of airflow per minute is WAAAAY too much, you are drying your sub, not growing it. You are supposed to dry the shrooms, not the sub.

Turn the ventilation on for maybe 5 minutes every hour. Turn up your humidifier, dunk them and pray :smile:

OfflineSkorpino
Stranger
    #25162326 - 04/24/18 12:43 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

okay but how I can dry the substrate while holding 90% humidity? Therefore I thought I have the humidifier :confused:

Well - I had a little misjudgement while programming the chip, I tought, the Filters will impede the airflow much more then they do. To change it, I have to unsolder the chip from the control, but then I have to open the box and put out some screws and open the control unit...ohh danger of contamination :rolleyes: ehm...I will find another way, reduse the ventilation surface with foil etc.
Okay, now I know what to change in V2.0 of the box :grin:

Do you think I can safe the growkits ore are they past remedy?

Offlinemushhiehunter
Trichodermatologist
Male User Gallery

#25162336 - 04/24/18 12:49 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Skorpino said:
okay but how I can dry the substrate while holding 90% humidity? Therefore I thought I have the humidifier :confused:

Well - I had a little misjudgement while programming the chip, I tought, the Filters will impede the airflow much more then they do. To change it, I have to unsolder the chip from the control, but then I have to open the box and put out some screws and open the control unit...ohh danger of contamination :rolleyes: ehm...I will find another way, reduse the ventilation surface with foil etc.
Okay, now I know what to change in V2.0 of the box :grin:

Do you think I can safe the growkits ore are they past remedy?

Stop the talk about contamination, if your sub is fully colonized and not terrorized, it can handle standard, non sterile environment.

OfflineSkorpino
Stranger
    #25162344 - 04/24/18 12:54 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Okay I didn't know that. I'm glad to know this forum :heart:

What should I do now to safe them? Put water into the kits again or set very high humidity and low air vent?

Offlinemushhiehunter
Trichodermatologist
Male User Gallery

#25162355 - 04/24/18 12:59 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Dunk them in water for 12 hours, return to your chamber, restrict the flow of air to 5min/hour, fluctuate the humidity, mist the sub so that it has small droplets of water on it but no pooling. :smile:

OfflineSkorpino
Stranger
    #25162448 - 04/24/18 01:49 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Okay, done... I will tell you, if it works :smile: Thanks a lot!

OfflineSkorpino
Stranger
    #25173014 - 04/29/18 08:16 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Hey,

now the kits grow...but no pins at the top of the subs, all pins are at the side or at the bottom and grow around the sub to the top :tongue: Its strange

InvisiblePsicomb
shroom or die
Male User Gallery

Loc: the womb
Trusted Cultivator
    #25173106 - 04/29/18 09:21 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

That's because the climate underneath and on the sides is closer to what your mushrooms prefer than the top.  As a few other folks have said, I really recommend ditching the elaborate set up for a $7 unmodified monotub or a handful of $1 six-quart totes from Big Lots / Target / etc...  The amount of fine-tuning to get what you want with what you have now is only gonna lead to frustration and I promise I'm not saying that to just be a meany haha.

--------------------

When we constantly pull things apart trying to see how it works, we may end up with only an understanding of how to destroy something
- nick sand

Edited by Psicomb (04/29/18 09:22 AM)

OfflineSkorpino
Stranger
Re: First grow, bad result...any ideas? [Re: Psicomb]
    #25173498 - 04/29/18 12:52 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Okay, thanks a lot. Well, I did some changes on the growbox, but it's not finished. At the moment, humidy control doesn't work correctly, that's why the growkits are inside their scheduled foil bags, the box only gives light and heat... But now I have some ideas. I will do some further changes and hope, the second flush will be better :smile:

Edit: As I said, standard monotub is not working, because its too cold... My box is nearly the same - but with styrofoam around and heating and humidy control. In V 2.0 there won't be any ventilators etc, so it will work better. Probably the humidy control will be needless too.

Edited by Skorpino (04/29/18 07:13 PM)

InvisiblePsicomb
shroom or die
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25174238 - 04/29/18 07:14 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Hell yeah dude, keep us posted.

--------------------

When we constantly pull things apart trying to see how it works, we may end up with only an understanding of how to destroy something
- nick sand

OfflineSkorpino
Stranger
    #25175612 - 04/30/18 01:55 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Hey,

now a few shrooms have open heads, so I harvested them. Usually you harvest every shroom or pin and then dunk the sub. But now I have really very much pins around the sub...should I harvest the big shrooms and let the other pins grow, or should I really take every pin and dunk the sub for the next flush? There are hundreds of pins and ~5 big shrooms in every box...

InvisiblePsicomb
shroom or die
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25175822 - 04/30/18 03:39 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Harvest/cut the caps off the big boys and let the rest of the pins catch up, harvest those, then dunk :thumbup:

--------------------

- nick sand

OfflineSkorpino
Stranger
    #25188152 - 05/06/18 04:46 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Hey,

now it works well. The second flush is growing, and I already harvestet ~50g dry shrooms. And...wow... I tripped around 10 times so far in my life, but THAT was really intense! Yesterday me and my friends had the very best trips in our lifes (everyone ate 2g) :laugh: Sustained laughing and talking bullshit and dancing with the jacketeds in the wardrobe - "hey, lets celebrate with these guys together" :grin: and the enhancement of mind, to think about yourself and so on...wow. Just wow ^^

So...thank you all very much for helping. I will show you pics of the growbox in the future, when everything on it is, like i want it to be.

There is only one strange thing...in one sub, no shrooms were on the top. All at the bottom, very very much. So i turned the sub and harvestet 35g from this one growkit, and now its upside down and the second flush looks very good too ^^ Doesn't matter...it works. I think...the shrooms contain so much psilocybine, they trip very hard all the time in their lifes :laugh: So its comprehensible if they do strange things xD

Edited by Skorpino (05/06/18 04:47 PM)

Invisiblenube424
Male

#25188249 - 05/06/18 05:46 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Do a monotub without all the fancy stuff. Just spawn and coir in a plastic bin with holes stuffed with polyfill. Easiest way to get a shitload of shrooms.

Offlinedont trust midgets
your HIGHness
I'm a teapot

#25188385 - 05/06/18 06:55 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

I am happy to hear you were able to make it work. :yesnod:

--------------------
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

OfflineSkorpino
Stranger
Re: First grow, bad result...any ideas? [Re: nube424]
    #25188455 - 05/06/18 07:40 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

nube424 said:
Do a monotub without all the fancy stuff. Just spawn and coir in a plastic bin with holes stuffed with polyfill. Easiest way to get a shitload of shrooms.

Hell yeah. Then just tell me, how shrooms will grow at 60-70°F... My current setup, is a monotub with styrofoam around and light and temperature control. No air vent, just some holes with absorbent cotton. No ultrasonic humidifier, because now its needless. So...were is the difference to a monotub or how can I heat a monotub good enough??

Edited by Skorpino (05/06/18 07:41 PM)

InvisiblePsicomb
shroom or die
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25188470 - 05/06/18 07:48 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

What about just making a mono and raising the temp of the room they are in with a cheap oil radiator to keep the temp a steady 70-72 or something?

--------------------

- nick sand

OfflineMush Hunter
Imaginary friend
 User Gallery

Loc: The depths of your imagin...
    #25188666 - 05/06/18 09:51 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Mine are fruiting just fine at 70F. Lower temps will only slow the fruiting process. Shroomies thrive between 68-72F so anywhere between 65-75F ideal for P.Cubensis

Invisiblenube424
Male

#25190287 - 05/07/18 07:08 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

I never heat anything. All my grows are room temp and doesn't make much of a difference. Slower growth in the winter but not by much. Mono tubs require no work. Stuff holes with polygill and leave it till it's ready to harvest.

Edited by nube424 (05/07/18 07:09 PM)

InvisiblePsicomb
shroom or die
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, bad result...any ideas? [Re: nube424]
    #25190407 - 05/07/18 08:04 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah but he said his grow room (basement) is 62 degrees.. That's pretty low. I can imagine it potentially stalling jars if it's consistently that temperature. I had to use an oil radiator this winter because my grow room was too cold and my jars appeared to stall every once in a while as a result.

--------------------

- nick sand

Invisiblenube424
Male

#25190879 - 05/08/18 05:41 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

1, wrap ur colonizing jars in a loose blanket. They'll hold their own heat. 2, for fruiting, u shouldn't have problems fruiting I wouldn't think. It's pretty cold where I have mine in the winter. Probably around the same temp (62). But cold is defiantly an issue with colonizing jars.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck