Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineserendipitythenot
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Sebastian Woodroffe identified as Canadian killed in Peru after Indigenous healer murdered
    #25159599 - 04/23/18 10:11 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Sebastian Woodroffe identified as Canadian killed in Peru after Indigenous healer murdered
A Peruvian Attorney General spokesperson says villagers blamed Indigenous woman's death on Canadian
CBC News · Posted: Apr 22, 2018 8:56 AM ET | Last Updated: April 22

Traditional healer and elder Olivia Arevalo Lomas of the Shipibo-Conibo Indigenous people of Peru was shot and killed at her home. (Temple of the Way of Light/YouTube)
Authorities in Peru are investigating after an Indigenous spiritual leader was shot to death, a case that local media reports say resulted in the killing of a Canadian citizen in reprisal for the murder.

Olivia Arevalo Lomas, who was 81 and from the Shipibo-Conibo ethnic group, was shot twice and died at her home in the Ucayali region of the Peruvian Amazon rainforest on Thursday.

Friend fears man allegedly lynched in Peru is Comox Valley man
Arevalo Lomas was a leader in the community, an Indigenous rights activist and a traditional healer. Her killing has sparked local outrage following other unsolved murders of Indigenous activists who had repeatedly faced death threats related to efforts to keep illegal loggers and oil palm growers off Indigenous peoples' lands.

Canadian identified
Citing a spokesperson for Peru's Attorney General, Reuters reported that some villagers had blamed Arevalo Lomas's murder on Sebastian Woodroffe, a 41-year-old Canadian citizen, who lived in the region and who was believed to have been one of her clients.

Ricardo Palma Jimenez, the head of a group of prosecutors in Ucayali, told Reuters police found Woodroffe's body buried about a kilometre from Arevalo Lomas's home on Saturday, after a cellphone video recording of the Friday lynching was shared on social media.

Jimenez said prosecutors were exploring several hypotheses related to Arevalo Lomas's murder and that it was too early to name suspects in the case. No arrests had been made yet in connection with Woodroffe's death, he added.

"We will not rest until both murders, of the Indigenous woman as well as the Canadian man, are solved," said Jimenez in a phone interview with Reuters.

Global Affairs comment
Police called to the scene where the Canadian died cordoned off the area and exhumed his body, according to information provided by José Montalvo, director of the media outlet Gaceta Ucayalina.

Consular services are being provided to the family of the Canadian.
- Global Affairs Canada
"Canada extends its deepest condolences following the reported assassination of‎ Olivia Arévalo Lomas, an Indigenous elder and human rights defender of the Shipobo-Konibo people in Peru's Ucayali region," Global Affairs Canada said in a statement emailed to CBC News on Sunday.

Arevalo Lomas was an elder from the Shipibo-Conibo people in the Ucayali region of Peru, shown in lighter grey. (CBC)
"We are also aware that a Canadian ‎was killed in a related incident. Consular services are being provided to the family of the Canadian," the statement said, without releasing an identity.

Peruvian police and media are reporting the Canadian lived in the Ucayali regional capital of Pucallpa, freelance journalist Dan Collyns told CBC News. He said both police and Peru's Attorney General are investigating his death.

On its website, the Office of Public Defender of Peru (the Peruvian Ombudsman) condemned the murder of Arevalo Lomas and said police are interviewing her relatives and possible witnesses. It also said the lives of Indigenous people are at risk with the increase in activities such as illegal logging, illegal mining and drug trafficking.

ETA: Link to article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/peru-canadian-death-1.4630476

Edited by serendipitythenot (04/23/18 10:13 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineserendipitythenot
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Re: Sebastian Woodroffe identified as Canadian killed in Peru after Indigenous healer murdered [Re: serendipitythenot]
    #25159627 - 04/23/18 10:24 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

I looked to see if someone had already posted this but was kind of surprised to not find anything on it... however, admittedly I'm not the most observant person so if I'm mistaken please do let me know and I'll delete this post. Also, this is my first post on "news" so I hope I did it correctly.

I wanted to share this because Sebastien is a man who is local to me, we are basically neighbours and he used to come into my work very, very regularly & we have had some really good, long conversations about his travels and healing plants in general. He was a really neat person who had been spending time in Peru learning from this shaman in hopes of one day helping addicts with the knowledge he'd obtained... and honestly, from my point of view he literally seemed like one of the last people ever that you'd expect to experience any issues like this, he was nonviolent and just very chill and genuine and kind and experienced with these plants. I'm just really, really, really shocked and ofc feeling very sad for his family.

InvisibleThayendanegea
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
Re: Sebastian Woodroffe identified as Canadian killed in Peru after Indigenous healer murdered [Re: serendipitythenot]
    #25159679 - 04/23/18 10:55 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for posting....sounds like a public lynching of the Canadian dude. Very sad X 2. Hopefully, more will be offered as news breaks.

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Sebastian Woodroffe identified as Canadian killed in Peru after Indigenous healer murdered [Re: Thayendanegea]
    #25160098 - 04/23/18 02:36 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

How did a Canadian get a gun, in Peru?  Sounds like some Oxbow Incident shit, to me.  :justdontknow:

InvisibleAcidStrippedMind
The Sunshine Fix
Male User Gallery

Loc: Appalachia
Re: Sebastian Woodroffe identified as Canadian killed in Peru after Indigenous healer murdered [Re: chibiabos]
    #25160526 - 04/23/18 06:02 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

There's video on Liveleak.

I don't understand why people go to the jungle to take drugs with primitive people and then are surprised when they do something primitive/savage such as this.

:shrug:

--------------------

I am the storm. I am the wonder.

Offlineserendipitythenot
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Re: Sebastian Woodroffe identified as Canadian killed in Peru after Indigenous healer murdered [Re: chibiabos]
    #25160528 - 04/23/18 06:02 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

"Oxbow"? Not really sure what you mean by that but I will say FTR that I certainly do have a *lot* of questions about this whole thing myself(assuming that's what your comment is inferring?). Many things are just not adding up for me, nor anyone else who knows him that I've spoken with today. The whole thing is just bizarre and I really don't know what to think.

I'm not entirely familiar with the area, personally(though I wish I was! It has been a dream to visit Peru since I was a young child), so I can't really comment on the availability of weapons or anything like that either, nor have I been told much of anything about that portion of this whole thing. Is it difficult to find such things, then? I will say though that while the article I linked called him a "tourist" that wasn't really the case... not entirely sure if that changes matters at all for you...?

I do have some more detailed information that I've managed to gather today just from speaking to others but I'm not too sure how much has been officially confirmed so I'm hesitant to share for now, though hopefully that does change.

Offlineserendipitythenot
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Re: Sebastian Woodroffe identified as Canadian killed in Peru after Indigenous healer murdered [Re: AcidStrippedMind] * 1
    #25160689 - 04/23/18 07:04 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

AcidStrippedMind said:
There's video on Liveleak.

I don't understand why people go to the jungle to take drugs with primitive people and then are surprised when they do something primitive/savage such as this.

:shrug:

Yes, I'm aware that it was recorded and shared online... crazy shit.

As for the rest of your comment: my gut is telling me that in the coming days we will likely find that there's much, much more to this story than meets the eye.

Really though truth is that humans can be/are shit regardless of where ones' from. murica is going nuts at the moment, violence is through the roof(esp. of the firearm type) and honestly, they're just "savages" + capitalism in many ways; tribes + technology. Not really much of a difference. People suck in general.

And btw, This group he had been working & learning/mentoring with/through has an excellent reputation. As far as such practices go, this one is operated professionally - it is a business and run as such - in a fairly modern-ish "clinic"(at least, as "modern" & developed as these things can get while still maintaining an authenticity/genuineness). They do have a pretty decent number of employees(kitchen staff including cooks, computer/tech people, office people, first-aid people, even nurses, on their payroll, etc.) & people come from all over the world to utilize their services. It's not as if he was being purposefully reckless.

The Sunshine Fix
Male User Gallery

#25160823 - 04/23/18 08:02 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

I agree people can be pretty shit regardless of location. That said, at least we do have systems in place to deter these kinds of things in the western world. I can't remember the last time I saw a mob lynching in western society.

That's cool it was a modern facility, I guess. I personally find the concept of paying a lot of money to go to the jungle to take drugs in the hopes of gleaning some kind of ancient wisdom out of a shaman pretty ridiculous. But that's just me.

He had all the answers he needed inside him all along.

--------------------

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum

#25161040 - 04/23/18 09:23 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

serendipitythenot said:
"Oxbow"? Not really sure what you mean by that but I will say FTR that I certainly do have a *lot* of questions about this whole thing myself(assuming that's what your comment is inferring?). Many things are just not adding up for me, nor anyone else who knows him that I've spoken with today. The whole thing is just bizarre and I really don't know what to think.

The Oxbow Incident is a classic movie about crime and justice.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Sebastian Woodroffe identified as Canadian killed in Peru after Indigenous healer murdered [Re: chibiabos] * 1
    #25161524 - 04/24/18 03:22 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

This "ayahuasca healer" thing (usually involving tourism and $$) is nothing but bad news. IMO its about the same as the grateful dead hanging with the "nitrous mafia". These are people trying to make money off of those who want an experience like, i dunno, that movie "The Beach" +ayahuasca

If you wanna do dmt orally, use it like any other psychedelic: seriously and with a sitter. Like youd do 5+ grams. Its not even that different orally. The 4hydroxyl group and the maoi are the only chemical differences between that and a shroom trip

Dont get involved with "indigenous healers". My 2c-c.

During my trips at the nearby park, *usually* no one gets killed.

Or um. So far, never.

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Offlineserendipitythenot
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Re: Sebastian Woodroffe identified as Canadian killed in Peru after Indigenous healer murdered [Re: Fractal420]
    #25161604 - 04/24/18 05:03 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Have you ever been to Peru yourselves? Or participated in similar sort of things?

I don't think I could ever do something like this(the ceremony and such I mean) and I certainly do understand the sentiment behind the money thing and people being fakes, greedy, etc... actually, that was literally the first thing I remember saying to him when he first mentioned going: "how do you know who is "good" to work with and who is not?", it was a concern but again... thousands of people have worked with this company and there's never been an issue. Though again, he was not down there "paying tons of money" for a trip in the jungle... he was living there for sometimes 8+ months of the year, learning in hopes of one day bringing this information to the place we live to help others, addicts especially...  a little different from "tripping in the park", though it's possible I'm missing something here. I understand it's not for everyone as like I said I cannot imagine participating in something like this myself(when I said earlier that I dreamed of seeing Peru I meant hiking to macchu pichu and other places like my dad has done, lol).

I'd also point out that if anybody is dying during your trips it is unusual, again, regardless of where you live. It's disingenuous to claim otherwise.

The Sunshine Fix
Male User Gallery

#25161887 - 04/24/18 09:26 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

I also would love to visit Peru. It is a beautiful country. I guess I'm just not understanding what "information" he was supposed to be bringing back? People buy into the mythos of these "spiritual healers" a bit too much.

Again, the answers he needed were inside him all along.

--------------------

InvisibleSham87
mashAllah
Male

Re: Sebastian Woodroffe identified as Canadian killed in Peru after Indigenous healer murdered [Re: AcidStrippedMind]
    #25161919 - 04/24/18 09:39 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Damn what a shame for all sides involved.

--------------------
:mushroom2::sun::crazy2::leaf:

...once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right...

:feelsgoatman:

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum

Re: Sebastian Woodroffe identified as Canadian killed in Peru after Indigenous healer murdered [Re: Fractal420]
    #25162425 - 04/24/18 01:40 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:
This "ayahuasca healer" thing (usually involving tourism and $$) is nothing but bad news. IMO its about the same as the grateful dead hanging with the "nitrous mafia". These are people trying to make money off of those who want an experience like, i dunno, that movie "The Beach" +ayahuasca

I...Uh...What?

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

#25162974 - 04/24/18 06:20 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

chibiabos said:
Quote:

Fractal420 said:

I...Uh...What?

I misunderstood the story the first time around

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

InvisibleThayendanegea
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
    #25166417 - 04/26/18 09:16 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

No new news?...updates?:popcorn:

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
    #25169672 - 04/27/18 04:23 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Life is cheap in the third world,guy would have been better off going to Thailand in the rainy season and picking boomers,live and learn or in this case die

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

Re: Sebastian Woodroffe identified as Canadian killed in Peru after Indigenous healer murdered [Re: 5150]
    #25171470 - 04/28/18 10:58 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Thayendanegea said:
No new news?...updates?:popcorn:

It just keeps getting weirder. Did he do it or was he set up? Can anyone including tourists buy a gun in Peru? WTF!

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/gun-that-killed-healer-matches-one-purchased-by-canadian-killed-in-peru-authorities-1.3906399

Quote:

Gun that killed healer matches one purchased by Canadian killed in Peru: authorities

Authorities in Peru say the gun that killed a plant healer matches one purchased by a Canadian man who was slain in the Amazon rain forest earlier this month.
The justice ministry says Sebastian Woodroffe, 41, purchased the gun on April 3 -- a few weeks before Olivia Arevalo, an octogenarian from the Shipibo-Konibo tribe of northeastern Peru, was killed.
Two people have been arrested in connection with Woodroffe's death.
remainder snipped

Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
Re: Sebastian Woodroffe identified as Canadian killed in Peru after Indigenous healer murdered [Re: rider420]
    #25172200 - 04/28/18 06:02 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Don't know, some Hispanic country s have good gun laws,Panama

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi

Offlinerickpsfuckyou
listening to Mozzy
Male

Re: Sebastian Woodroffe identified as Canadian killed in Peru after Indigenous healer murdered [Re: 5150]
    #25184104 - 05/04/18 01:31 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

not all shamans are good, there are black magic ones too. maybe she was doing supernatural spell caster shit and he killed her to make it stop. he could have become possessed also if he was doing rituals without proper guidance.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom