Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
Everyone loves BoC
    #2493400 - 04/01/04 04:36 AM (20 years, 20 hours ago)

Everyone loves Boards of Canada, and there's some interesting websites up about them:

http://www.speakeasy.org/~adbrown/boc.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boards_Of_Canada

Worth a read anyways

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Everyone loves BoC [Re: mr_kite]
    #2499711 - 04/01/04 07:50 AM (20 years, 17 hours ago)

I really like what I have heard by them so far..for a while I was eyeing ebay for Music has the Right to Children to pop up trying to get it at a descent price..I haven't seen it for under $25 Cad. in stores! :frown:

Nice links!! :smile:

*hurries back to e-bay..*

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #2503674 - 04/01/04 10:18 AM (20 years, 14 hours ago)

Music Has the Right... is being rereleased worldwide from Warp on April 5 or 6th. You should grab it then.

BoC is amazing. They always have that quality that something else is going on...something underneath... So much playful child-like innocence mixed with a mysterious vibe of hidden intentions...

www.music70.com
http://www.davidac.fsworld.co.uk/boc.htm

I'll post a little more when I've got more time.

The devil is in the details...........

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Offlinelightset
UniversalTraveller

Re: Everyone loves BoC [Re: Blastrid]
    #2515891 - 04/02/04 12:13 AM (20 years, 1 hour ago)

Yeah that davidac site is amazing. I just got the Geodaddi promo and A beautiful place out in the country on vinyl off ebay.

And I agree boc is amazing.

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
Re: Everyone loves BoC [Re: Blastrid]
    #2517958 - 04/02/04 03:46 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah ekomstop, at http://www.warprecords.com you can get a package of a few of their best releases, not sure which ones, but definately includes MHTRTC, and you'll save a bit and they're all well worth owning!

The devils in the details...that sums it up. I'd always been aware that they put hidden meanings/coincidences in their music, but never to the extent thats documented at that speakeasy site, http://www.speakeasy.org/~adbrown/boc.html. Their use of maths in their music is particularly interesting.

This sort of band making this sort of music, living as almost cultish-recluses, is the perfect countercultural stance to the currently brainless,uninventive and derivative music scene. Justin, Coldplay, Kylie etc - Suck on some BoC. (Kylie Minogue listening to BoC..???can you imagine that?)

New album due out this year too! I cannie wait mon, I cannie wait...

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

#2518464 - 04/02/04 09:31 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

After reading a few of those interviews a while back, there were a few things that I retained as being significant.
First they said that while their music isn't necessarily intended to be listened to while under a mind-altering substance, there are certain psychedelic substances that bring out sounds and qualities of their music that you'll only hear in that state... (ever notice a heartbeat in "Turquoise Hexagon Sun"?)
They use quite a bit of math-ratios and sequences, etc. A is to B as B is to C is the Fibonnaci Sequence, and they've said they use that often in song structure, or even melodic line and phrase structure. "Devil In the Details" the melody above the hypnosis speech is built off of some other widely known ratio, but I have been unable to discover it.

The fact that their music makes you question if you're recognizing everything that you're hearing is landmarkish. The combination of innocence and mystery plays with your perception. And subliminal techniques are obviously used, making you wonder what's underneath? What are you hearing that you can't apparently perceive on the surface? Some often used subliminal techniques are counting, repetition, speech patterns, and other ways that divert your attention away from input that you receive unknowingly. This has expanded 'depth of music' greatly, in a different fashion than 'many sounds at once, all changing and interacting'. It has been expanded to 'depth of musical perception, or psychoacoustics'. The intrigue that follows such possibilities is only fanning the flames, but the fact that such a wonder could exist in the first place is signs that they're doing it right. The listener is aurally searching for sounds he doesn't realize he's hearing.......

This leaves me constantly wondering: What can sound do to you and how drastically can it change your perception?

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #2518778 - 04/02/04 11:31 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Damn, too late :frown:  But thanks for the suggestions!

I just ordered Music has the right.. for 12 bucks including shipping on ebay!!  :grin:

Can't wait till it arrives.  In the meantime however, about half an hour ago in the mail I recieved Ott: Blumenkraft and Krumelur: Minimal Animal to keep me company :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: Everyone loves BoC [Re: ekomstop]
    #2520945 - 04/03/04 07:25 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

BoC = occultists

which isn't to say they worship Satan,
they just Gnow quite a few Secrets.

MHTRTC = phi .618 In and Phi 1.618 Out

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Re: Everyone loves BoC [Re: Middleman]
    #2521279 - 04/03/04 10:43 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Jinx, you and I need to have some words....

Share the findings brother!! You've teased me with Tool, now BoC?! :lol:
Gotta tell me more about what you know about MHTRTC and Geogaddi...

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    ex.  Blastrid!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates