Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
Reef tanks?
    #25154282 - 04/20/18 09:58 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

So about 8 years ago my brother somehow talked me into setting up a coral tank.  Did it for a few years then my custom made tank cracked when I was moving so I got out of the game.  Such a heavy investment lost.  In that tank I kept a G. Ternatensis Mantis shrimp as the primary occupant.  He was fucking amazing.  Super intelligent, insanely weird and cool.  Have the best eye sight in the entire animal kingdom.  He would chase a laser pointer around the tank, knew who I was and would pop out when I came home from work, etc.  Would hang half out of his burrow and watch TV or video games when I was playing.

I also grew a ton of coral.  I was on a heavy budget back then but still managed to get quite a few affordable frags of large and small polyp stony corals.  Tank was looking really nice until I had to move and find new homes for things when it cracked.

Welp, now I'm getting back into it.  Picked up a 24 gallon aquapod with the intent to stay budget minded and minimize my excess spending, but I'm already looking at the costs of getting another custom tank built. Lulz. 

Tank is done cycling.  Picked up a young yellow watchman goby and tiger pistol shrimp pair.  They are symbiotic and have a really cool interaction relationship.  The shrimp is pretty much blind and digs out all the tunnels and holes, and the goby sits at the entrance and warns the shrimp of danger or food.  The shrimp always keeps a long antenna touching the fish, alwayyysss, and the fish flicks its tail a certain way to warn it or tell it that its dinner time.  Have some various snails and hermits for a clean up crew as well already.

I've always liked the weirder animals.  Dogs and cats are cool, but there are so many more interesting things out there.  Going to get a gaggle of sexy shrimp soon (they host nems/corals and get their name because they wiggle their asses around a lot), and possibly a pom pom crab (carries little anemones in its claws to capture food).  A porcelain crab or two, some feather dusters and coco worms, and what ever other weird non-fish I can get my hands on that fit and won't eat my coral.

Am I the lone reefer here or do any of you other skanks have a salt water tank?

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDorfnob
J.U.I.C.E.

Re: Reef tanks? [Re: mndfreeze]
    #25154331 - 04/20/18 10:29 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

seems like a cool twist on a fish tank I was considering the coral scene, is there money to be made? not the only reason to do it just a great incentive. lot of fish are under black lights I noticed in the reefapalooza vid on youtube don't know if I'm a huge fan, what do you think?

OfflineMandarinfish

#25154340 - 04/20/18 10:33 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Edited by Mandarinfish (07/18/20 08:41 PM)

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Reef tanks? [Re: Dorfnob]
    #25154411 - 04/20/18 11:30 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Dorfnob said:
seems like a cool twist on a fish tank I was considering the coral scene, is there money to be made? not the only reason to do it just a great incentive. lot of fish are under black lights I noticed in the reefapalooza vid on youtube don't know if I'm a huge fan, what do you think?

There is definitely money you can make.  My brother is hard into it.  You know how weed has all these strains and some are crazy expensive and hard to get? Coral has the same shit.  There could be 20 different color variations of the same species of coral and one of them will be so rare it goes for thousands per polyp.  Thats outside my realm of desire though.  I like the nerdy side of it and growth and colorations that fit my tank.  Not looking to grow colonies just to frag and sell them, but many people do.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Reef tanks? [Re: Mandarinfish]
    #25154414 - 04/20/18 11:32 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Mandarinfish said:
When I had my 90 gallon reef tank running I got a few Nassarius snails. The cool thing is they burrow
into the sand and come up when you add food. Normally you can see their antennas sticking out.  :cool:

@Dorfnob, the black lights you mention are called Actinic bulbs and give the tank a blue glow.

Yup, I have some nassarius snails.  They are pretty neat.    Once my tank matures enough to have a really active sand bed I'll probably get a fighting conch as well.  They are just so silly with their big ass eye stalks and long trunk mouths.

Its cool to watch the nassarius erupt out of the sand when you feed meaty foods.

I take it by your name you had a Mandarin?  They are pretty neat fish but I don't have the desire to seed pods in my tank often enough to keep one healthy since I'm only in a small 24G aquapod tank.  Even with a small fuge I don't think I could generate enough.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

OfflineMandarinfish

#25154463 - 04/21/18 12:34 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Edited by Mandarinfish (07/18/20 08:40 PM)

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Reef tanks? [Re: Mandarinfish]
    #25154514 - 04/21/18 01:20 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, at one or two of the  LSF's here you can buy ones that are supposedly already trained to take frozen/pellets but everything I read makes it out to be so hit or miss that its not worth killing one just to maybe get it right, even though the psychedelic mandarins are amazing looking.

I'll probably get a pair of clowns if I can't find another unique fish thats better.  They are always good defaults and there are so many pattern and color variations now.  Especially with them being tank raised so easily now.  I've thought about getting a flame angel since I will never put a clam in this tank, but I haven't decided on that yet really.  Not a fan of 'iffy' scenarios haha.  Especially if I get another custom tank built thats bigger.  I might want a clam or three then.

I think I'm going to put some rock flower nems in this tank as well.  There are some insane ultra colored ones available now and they fit well in nano tanks.

I wish more weird inverts were available.  Since so many people view them as weird or as just part of the clean up crew instead of tank focus like the fish they tend to get ignored in the trade unless they are commonly requested.  There are so many neat shrimp and crabs out there that never make it to the aquarium because of that and not really many places that specialize in getting them. Hell, mantis shrimp are fairly popular as pets now in the trade and even those are a bitch to find, especially if you have a specific species you want.  I sat on a waiting list for 4 months before I got my ternatensis the last time.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds