Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMangowaffle
Stranger

Questons regarding growing from a master slant
    #25140130 - 04/15/18 03:08 AM (6 years, 3 days ago)

Hey guys,

What's the best way to start a grow from a master slant?

Transfer slant tissue to petri's, transfer wedge to master grain jars and G2G from there?

Or do people tend to go for the LC method instead?

How do large scale spawn producers do it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHobbyist
Citizen

Re: Questons regarding growing from a master slant [Re: Mangowaffle]
    #25140141 - 04/15/18 03:27 AM (6 years, 3 days ago)

i don't know how large scale spawn producers go about it, however my recommendation would be to put it on agar.  From there you could make more dishes with which to make masters and you can let a plate grow out to verify it's still clean before putting another master slant away.

--------------------
Everything i say is completely hypothetical...

OfflineMangowaffle
Stranger

Re: Questons regarding growing from a master slant [Re: Hobbyist]
    #25140167 - 04/15/18 04:03 AM (6 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Hobbyist said:
i don't know how large scale spawn producers go about it, however my recommendation would be to put it on agar.  From there you could make more dishes with which to make masters and you can let a plate grow out to verify it's still clean before putting another master slant away.

Does transferring multiple times: from slant, to plate, to master grain jar, and then additional G2G transfers after that cause any kind of decline in quality or vigor of the culture? versus if you were to go straight from a slant to a jar of grain? I know that's probably worded horribly so I hope that makes sense

Edited by Mangowaffle (04/15/18 04:06 AM)

InvisibleHobbyist
Citizen

#25140309 - 04/15/18 06:56 AM (6 years, 3 days ago)

The decline in vigor you're referencing is what people call senescence.  That happens when you're growing out through a large amount of material.  A couple of dishes isn't anything to be concerned about.

There shouldn't be any decline in quality of the culture.

If memory serves: senescence is only something that should start occurring after the 3rd generation.  For instance if you take the first master grain jar and g2g to 10 jars, then g2g those 10 jars into a further 100 jars, that should be fine.  Once you take those 100 jars and g2g to 1000 jars you should start seeing the effects though.

For that matter you could drop that original plate into 10 master jars if you wanted so you could reach 1000 jars from your single transfer off a slant before senescence is an issue.  If you wanted more you could make 10 master plates to make 10 master jars from each and g2g to 10,000.

I guess all this to say: individual dishes are negligible to your concerns.

--------------------

OfflineMangowaffle
Stranger

Re: Questons regarding growing from a master slant [Re: Hobbyist]
    #25140328 - 04/15/18 07:11 AM (6 years, 3 days ago)

Thanks hobbyist that's exactly the information I was after. Say someone g2g's 1000 jars of spawn, how long would that spawn stay viable in refrigeration before a decline in quality begins to set in? Is there a general consensus on this?

InvisibleHobbyist
Citizen

#25140362 - 04/15/18 07:36 AM (6 years, 3 days ago)

Well you'd need quite an operation to get that many jars prepped.

You'd probably be good for at least a month.

That being said, it would be recommended against.  I would expect that a culture would be lethargic coming out of a fridge and that's not even the real issue.  The biggest issue you'll run into trying to store prepped jars is moisture content.  Since you have SFDs or some filter material allowing the jar to breathe your jar will dry out and will be unsuitable for mycelial growth.

While it's possible to store PCed jars for a period of time, it's recommended to use them immediately.

--------------------

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
    #25140707 - 04/15/18 10:24 AM (6 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Mangowaffle said:
Thanks hobbyist that's exactly the information I was after. Say someone g2g's 1000 jars of spawn, how long would that spawn stay viable in refrigeration before a decline in quality begins to set in? Is there a general consensus on this?

As stated above its best to not over produce spawn.  I refrigerate final grain bags of spawn for 2 or 3 weeks if they're in danger of being over grown or fruiting.  But I would advise against refrigerating anything other than Petris or slants.  Also the g3 is kind of arbitrary.  You can go further but it's not usually necessary or advisable because the more transfers the more likely you're going to have some contamination creep in.

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: Questons regarding growing from a master slant [Re: drake89]
    #25147315 - 04/18/18 05:06 AM (6 years, 3 hours ago)

I am finding a needle biopsy to be an interesting way of inoculating LC.

Going through a transfer first can be okay to spot visible contaminations, but ones that mingle will always be much harder to spot at this stage.

With a needle biopsy you don't avoid that issue but it is one of the ways to take the smallest sample from a healthy strong section of your culture in the hopes of transferring only that.
I take up some sterilized water in the needle I do the biopsy with to squirt out the tiny piece of tissue, but I guess there are also ways to take up clean air.
At least in an LC, squirting some extra water is absolutely not a problem.

LC or ground up spawn would be ways of getting inoculant which can be spreaded incredibly well in a substrate.

1000 jars of spawn does seem like a tricky plan but depending on how sterile you can work with your setup it might seem preferable to use a bit of excess of spawn each time you G2G and go through a few steps to increase your order of magnitude every time. If not, you would need to take bigger steps of scaling up somewhere which would probably be bad in terms of both having your spawn run make it as well as affording possible losses to contam at this step.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates