Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Loc: Ul'dah
Multi-Grain A2G Grow * 1
    #25145243 - 04/17/18 11:52 AM (3 years, 29 days ago)

Hi all, getting ready to noc my first self-made grain jars with a clone I have growing on agar... thought id run it by you all first just in case. For those wondering why, I wanted popcorn but wanted to compensate for the lower nutrition, fill out empty space more and couldnt decide which grain to use. Plus I thought itd be a fun experiment/challenge.

Also im a stubborn masochist who tends to get carried away when I get into something like this. :grin:

All I did was prep grains (Popcorn and WBS) individually and mixed together before PC. Quinoa was a very little amount just soaked 12 hours and a 5 minute hot bath. It all looked a bit too wet just after PC with some water collecting where grains touched glass but after about 24hrs (and a good shaking) they seem to have evened out fairly well.

Pre-PC:

Also what ya think of my Polyfilled Tyvek Filter Patchâ„¢ lol? I have no excuse, just had both laying around. (Again... stubborn masochist lol)

Post PC:

Have 9 jars (8x 1/2 pints and 1 pint) I want to noc up with wedges from these 2 dishes. Its only 1 transfer out from the original clone but neither have shown any obvious signs of contam even now, including the original, so im giving in to impatience this time and going as is unless advised otherwise. A 1" sq wedge should be ample per jar right?

Agar:

Figured itd be a little less tomentose from a clone but maybe its genetics? Bacteria? Poured too thin? Or could it be too many nutrients on Agar? I did 10g of steel cut oats boiled with like 750mL water of instead of the 500mL from recipe so I thought if anything itd be too watered down but :shrug:

Also, while I have your attention, is there some science reason why working a SAB from under the edge of the table isnt used more often?  I procrastinated opening the holes in mine the first few times and it worked out well twice so far so ive kept it as is. Is it just a comfort thing? Maybe it sucks when you have 3 huge stacks of dishes to pour? Its comfy enough IMO at least for small jobs, "encourages" working from below, and seems at least at first glance to be safer in terms of contamination.

Edited by kayo (05/01/18 01:45 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Multi-Grain/ Agar Pre-noc Check Up [Re: kayo] * 1
    #25145493 - 04/17/18 02:06 PM (3 years, 29 days ago)

i think your grains look fine. i like oats, personally. super easy and fast.

your plates do look super tome for a clone. could be too rich of media but it's not that they are poured too thin. i don't prefer grain soak water for agar simply because it's nearly impossible to quantify the nutrient load.

i can not speak to working a sab from underneath because i've never done it but i'd imagine it'd get real uncomfortable real fast.

one inch squared is fine. The more you put in the faster it can colonized the grains.

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Multi-Grain/ Agar Pre-noc Check Up [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #25147399 - 04/18/18 08:33 AM (3 years, 28 days ago)

I see what you mean, makes sense, . Ill probably just get a small bag of LME for next pour TBH. Ive been trying to keep ingredients to stuff we typically stock up in but a small bag of LME should work.

Ended up not inoculating yesterday. Decided to give dishes another day of growth. Definitely doing today though so ill see how comfortable working SAB from underneath is when working with 9 jars and a couple dishes. Mostly just wondering if maybe it was making things worse.

Thanks for input. Hopefully things actually go better than I expect them.

InvisibleTheMadHatter420
Trusted Farmer

Re: Multi-Grain/ Agar Pre-noc Check Up [Re: kayo] * 1
    #25147454 - 04/18/18 09:27 AM (3 years, 28 days ago)

IF you want to use grain water. You could pick up a $1 bag of WHOLE brown rice. Boil the shit out of it and use the broth in your agar and dump the over cooked rice. You can get it at any grocery store right next to the white rice.

--------------------
JOIN THE POW WOW

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Multi-Grain/ Agar Pre-noc Check Up [Re: TheMadHatter420]
    #25177639 - 05/01/18 01:12 PM (3 years, 15 days ago)

Ok new update, new questions. :grin:

Thanks for the previous help. Bought some light DME for my next pour which was right on time because my left over oats agar is getting dark spots everywhere. Doubt its contamination, probably from PC'ing it 3-4 times already.

Anyway my grains seem to be colonizing fine (this is about 10 days in, A2G) the only problem is its growing pretty unevenly (third one, second pic). Mostly im kinda nervous that it may be too dry. All looked fine at first, obviously wet but no pooling water (see prvious post) after a few days though the outsides dried up more and agar wedges are shriveling up (a little). I made a combination tyvek+polyfiber filter over 1/4" hole so it shouldnt be drying up but ... have a look see.

One is already past the "shake me" stage but most of the others are at or near the 30%. Since theyre 1/2 pints and should colonize fine without it, im thinking of just leaving the more advanced one as is and shake up the rest. That a good idea? How long can I leave a fully colonized jar unspawned?

EDIT: Shook all but the first three jars which are ahead of the rest anyway. Might sake the first two in a few days. Im trying to sync them up so im dont have to keep faser jars waiting too long. Feeling a little better about moisture content now, they seem "wetter" now. That and I checked on the large pint jar I made from the same batch and that one has made it to 80% so these should too.

Edited by kayo (05/02/18 09:21 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started