Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Not Wisconsin
Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana
    #25136468 - 04/13/18 06:04 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

The Trump administration is abandoning a Justice Department threat to crack down on recreational marijuana in states where it is legal, a move that could enable cannabis businesses in California and other states that have legalized pot to operate without fear of federal raids and prosecution.

President Trump personally directed the abrupt retreat, which came at the behest of Republican Sen. Cory Gardner of Colorado. White House officials confirmed the policy shift Friday. Trump did not inform Atty. Gen. Jeff Sessions in advance of the change in policy, an almost unheard of undermining of a Cabinet official.

Gardner was incensed in January when the Justice Department announced that it was rescinding an Obama-era policy that directed federal prosecutors not to target marijuana businesses that operate legally under state law. The senator had blocked Justice Department nominees in retaliation.

In conversation with Trump this week, Gardner said he was assured that the federal government would not interfere with his state's marijuana industry and that Trump would champion a new law that gives states the authority to set their own pot policies. In response, he lifted his remaining holds on nominees.

"Late Wednesday, I received a commitment from the president that the Department of Justice's rescission of the Cole memo will not impact Colorado's legal marijuana industry," Gardner said, referring to the Obama-era policy, named after former Deputy Atty. Gen. James M. Cole, who issued it.

"Furthermore, President Trump has assured me that he will support a federalism-based legislative solution to fix this states' rights issue once and for all."

White House officials confirmed that Gardner's comments accurately reflect the administration's position.

"The president did speak with Sen. Gardner yesterday and again today," White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders told reporters Friday at the White House. She said "the president is a firm believer" in states' rights and confirmed Gardner's account of the assurances he received from the president was accurate.

A Justice Department official who requested anonymity to speak frankly about internal discussions confirmed that Trump did not consult Sessions before talking with Gardner. Sessions, a longtime anti-drug crusader, personally announced the administration's pot crackdown policy in January.

The attorney general and Trump have had a frosty relationship for months, largely over Trump's continued resentment that Sessions recused himself from any involvement into the federal investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Trump's decision to undercut a major Sessions initiative without informing the attorney general in advance was a striking example of how low their relationship has sunk.

California is one of eight states in which recreational marijuana is legal. The administration's announcement in January that it was allowing prosecutors to target businesses selling pot legally under state laws put a cloud of uncertainty over the rapidly growing cannabis industry.

The talk of a crackdown threatened to slow investment in marijuana companies, which risked shutdown and seizure of their products at the decision of a single U.S. attorney. Under federal law, marijuana remains categorized as among the most dangerous drugs available, and one that has no valid medical purpose.

Marijuana stocks, which started the day down, surged after word spread of the Trump administration's new posture toward the industry.

The mixed signals coming out of the administration, however, left some marijuana advocates proceeding with caution.

Aaron Lachant, an attorney in Los Angeles who represents marijuana businesses, expressed concern that Gardner's deal might apply only to Colorado.

"The agreement itself appears narrow and only applicable to that state," he said. "Nevertheless, it is an encouraging sign when in the last year all the messages coming from Washington have been about enforcement. This suggests they are finally moving toward policy solutions."

A leader of the Congressional Cannabis Caucus, Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.), called the commitment Gardner secured from Trump "another head-spinning moment."

"We should hope for the best, but not take anything for granted," Blumenauer said. "Trump changes his mind constantly, and Republican leadership is still in our way."

Blumenauer is championing a measure that would prohibit federal law enforcement from using any money to crack down on recreational marijuana businesses operating legally under state law. That would expand an existing law that prevents federal law enforcement agencies from using their funds to go after companies legally selling medical marijuana, which is permitted in 29 states. The ban is the result of a budget rider Congress approved in 2014, and has renewed multiple times since.

Persuading Congress to lift the prohibition on enforcement actions against recreational marijuana is proving more challenging. Lawmakers have been reluctant. They have even prohibited sales of recreational marijuana in Washington, D.C., where voters approved it.

Yet if Trump follows through on his commitment to Gardner, the political equation could change. Trump's support for looser federal marijuana laws could draw other Republicans to join him. A Gallup poll in October found 67% of Americans support marijuana legalization. That support is bipartisan. For the first time, the poll found, most Republican voters favored legalization.

"It has been a long and difficult process, but we may now be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel," said an email from Mason Tvert, who co-directed the campaign to legalize recreational marijuana in Colorado. "This is one more step toward ending the irrational policy of marijuana prohibition, not only in Colorado, but throughout the country."

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-marijuana-trump-20180413-story.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana [Re: The Influence]
    #25136609 - 04/13/18 06:59 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Ohhhh, motherfuckin called it from the first time I saw one of these articles!!

Which pretty much makes me top dog in the shroomery news service subforum. Bow before your new lord. Who do I speak to about gettting moderator privileges?

:bow2::bow2: :kingcrankey: :bow2::bow2:

OfflineVeihler
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #25136761 - 04/13/18 07:57 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

boom, baby

--------------------
...Did he doubt or did he try? Answers aplenty in the bye and bye
Talk about your plenty and talk about your ills, one man gathers what another man spills.

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana [Re: The Influence]
    #25136840 - 04/13/18 08:21 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

In case anyone is in a bubble, Canada will be completely legal by late summer or early fall.

InvisibleCitizen X
Buzz Killinton
Other User Gallery
Loc: Djibouti
Re: Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana [Re: tdubz]
    #25136923 - 04/13/18 08:51 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Go Canada! I never thought I’d say that

--------------------

Rate me here

OfflineTheShroomanizer
Stranger-Danger

Loc: The Swamp
Re: Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana [Re: Citizen X] * 1
    #25137121 - 04/13/18 10:09 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

This is a major step, but lets look at the underlying reasons as to WHY Trump is doing this...As a Republican, he is almost obligated by his affiliation to the party NOT to interfere with state laws...this has always been an issue..on a Federal level they have the ability to recommend policy amendments, but not to directly interfere with a states sovereignty, (except on subjects such as taxes, security, etc.) I believe this is his way of slapping Sessions in the face, while gaining popularity with a dwindling target audience, and upholding his party obligation all at the same time, rather than his personal belief in federal deregulation of Marijuana.

As they say..."its just good politics/business"

--------------------
Trading Prints

-Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could listen twice as much as we speak-

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana [Re: TheShroomanizer]
    #25137312 - 04/14/18 12:04 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Red states are legalizing hemp too

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
Re: Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana [Re: Konyap] * 1
    #25137610 - 04/14/18 04:39 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Next up...Kratom and mushrooms...maybe even salvia??

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana [Re: Nature Boy]
    #25138092 - 04/14/18 10:27 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Heres another good article on it. I read it and was gonna post but then saw this version

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-trump-marijuana-industry-20180413-story.html

I mean, its only rational that they dont oppose legalization, cause that wouldnt work, only the sessions (jeff and pete, no relation) think it would. Might as well embrace a good business idea, i mean thats even trump logic.

Not gonna comment on my political views but regardless of all that, yes, lets not stand in the way of progress

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Invisiblemycoprog
Modular Heretic
 User Gallery

Loc: N. America
Re: Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana [Re: Fractal420] * 1
    #25138837 - 04/14/18 03:52 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Well now.

I never thought I would say this but... nah, I'm never gonna say it.

--------------------

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana [Re: mycoprog] * 1
    #25139991 - 04/15/18 12:42 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

^dont you dare say it.
:P

But seriously, nothing trump does is gonna make me think "hes not a bad guy". He can legalize everything and id still hate the fucker. Look at Syria right now.

Like, sure, im grateful, IF its even true, he can spout shit out anytime and not mean it.

This is what he was saying on the campaign trail. But dont get me wrong, id still be grateful for legal weed, id just be surprised with jeff sessions around and his usual "kill drug dealers" message. You cant really support recreational use and wanna kill dealers at the same time

At the end of the day he just says he disagrees with Jeff Sessions' weed crackdown point of view. He hasnt done anything to help the weed industry, maybe just wont stand in the way as much (hopefully sessions will follow, of course he would)

But if i see some pro-cannabis bills passed, like some real protection, or use of banks for cannabis business, ill def at least respect that. As of now, trump is saying "i wont obstruct the weed business".

But lets please not take a known liar at his word right away

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

Edited by Fractal420 (04/15/18 01:58 AM)

InvisibleCitizen X
Buzz Killinton
Other User Gallery
Loc: Djibouti
Re: Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana [Re: Fractal420]
    #25140081 - 04/15/18 01:56 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

True.

I am happy to see ius on the road to legalizing marijuana

--------------------

Rate me here

Edited by Citizen X (04/15/18 02:11 AM)

Offlinedownlowfunk
Retired Festival Veteran
Male

Loc: Physical Realm
Re: Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana [Re: Citizen X] * 1
    #25140247 - 04/15/18 05:57 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Everyone has always pissed all over every comment I have made on this board.

Donald Trump is infallible and all you snow flake kumbiya jerry band BSers are wrong!

BTW its not the musician its the instrument that sounds good.  Poof there goes all that bs musician god status crap.

Edited by downlowfunk (04/15/18 06:07 AM)

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana [Re: downlowfunk] * 1
    #25140365 - 04/15/18 07:37 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

downlowfunk said:

Donald Trump is infallible and all you snow flake kumbiya jerry band BSers are wrong!

BTW its not the musician its the instrument that sounds good.  Poof there goes all that bs musician god status crap.

For your own sake, i hope you are joking/being fasciscious

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineMikeTesserect
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25140379 - 04/15/18 07:45 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Its possible this is how they will treat kratom under a liability act where vendors are responsible for overdoses or what not, but that may deter ppl from wanting to sell it. They should just exploit us for debt relief or something. That's where 80% of my money goes anyways. My $ would just pile up if I didn't buy kratom. Junkies could become the unsung heros of america

Edited by MikeTesserect (04/15/18 07:50 AM)

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana [Re: MikeTesserect] * 1
    #25140437 - 04/15/18 08:26 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Kratom, by the trump administration, might be considered similar to an opioid "rc" or at least "unscheduled legal compound that anyone can order -thus BAD! And SAD!"

But hey really if trump stays out of the way of Rec and MMJ for *real* and even helps progress, thats one thing i cant deny him. But who knows. Politicians make promises

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana [Re: Fractal420] * 1
    #25140444 - 04/15/18 08:29 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:
Quote:

downlowfunk said:

For your own sake, i hope you are joking/being fasciscious

PS you are saying all good artists have no skill and it just has to do with the instrument? Why am i not surprised lol.

Yeah, theres no creative process. Theres no music theory. Its just the damn device that makes sounds. Go on FL studio and string some sounds together, then post that song and see how others like it, or. Pick any musical instrument of choice that you have never played

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineFractalMind
Werewolf
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #25141011 - 04/15/18 12:38 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

As a failed musician I just have to chime in and say that yeah there totally is a creative process to music... 99.9% of people cant just pick up and play an instrument, and the ones that can still find it fucking hard. Jerry even acknowledged that. He got so mad about not sounding right once he threw phil lesh down a flight of stairs. Those tapes became anthem of the sun.

2/14/68

Good show

Edited by FractalMind (04/15/18 12:40 PM)

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump administration abandons crackdown on legal marijuana [Re: FractalMind] * 1
    #25141063 - 04/15/18 01:00 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Kurt Cobain is a "failed" musician. You still got a chance! But not to sidetrack this important article, lets get back on point here.

I still take this with a grain of salt and a gram of 4-acetylitsjustwords

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

Offlinelifeiswhatyoumake
pump ur peen
Male User Gallery

#25143365 - 04/16/18 01:19 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

hehe, nerdy drug joke

--------------------
:goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat:  I dropped a cheesy pop dance track "Be With Me, Baby": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wezFSNS7JDI :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf