Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands, USA Flag
‘Moderate’ drinking guidelines are too loose, study says
    #25142826 - 04/16/18 10:36 AM (3 months, 28 days ago)

‘Moderate’ drinking guidelines are too loose, study says
washingtonpost.com

A sweeping international study of alcohol consumption has found no overall health benefits from moderate drinking and calls into question the U.S. guidelines that say men can safely drink twice as much as women. The threshold for low-risk drinking, the researchers found, is about seven beers a week for men and women alike.

The new report, published Thursday in the Lancet and boasting 120 co-authors, aggregated data from multiple studies of drinking patterns and health outcomes among nearly 600,000 people in 19 high-income countries.

Strikingly, the data did not show a significant difference between men and women in the amount of alcohol that can be consumed without a drop in life expectancy. That directly contradicts U.S. government guidelines that define moderate, “low-risk” drinking as two drinks a day for men and one drink for women, with a limit of 14 a week for men and seven for women — with lower levels for people over the age of 65.

There’s a transatlantic difference of opinion about drinking limits for men and women. Two years ago, the United Kingdom revised its moderate-drinking guidelines, reducing the limits for men to the same level as those for women. The new study says the United Kingdom got it just about right.

“When the U.S. reviews their guidelines, I would hope they would use this as evidence to consider lowering the guidelines for men probably in line with female guidelines,” the study’s lead author, Angela Wood, a senior lecturer at the University of Cambridge, told The Washington Post.

This research recalibrates the concept of moderate drinking and gives a more complicated, nuanced interpretation of how alcohol affects cardiovascular health for better or worse. That interpretation is not likely to be welcomed by the alcohol industry, which has embraced the idea, backed by the medical establi shment, that moderate drinking may be good for you by lowering the risk of a heart attack.

Wood and her colleagues did not find an overall health benefit. The aggregated data did show that moderate drinking is associated with a lower risk of nonfatal heart attacks. The common explanation is that alcohol can boost high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, the “good” cholesterol, which can be protective against arterial blockages.

But alcohol consumption, even at that allegedly moderate level, is also associated with a suite of cardiovascular problems, including stroke, aortic aneurysm, fatal hypertensive disease and heart failure. The data show that the bad effects offset the good.

“Drinking more may reduce the risk of nonfatal heart attack, but actually, let’s balance that against the higher risk of stroke and other fatal cardiovascular diseases and shorter life expectancy,” Wood said.

Alcohol consumption is also associated with higher risks of several types of cancer, including breast cancer. The new study confirmed an association between drinking and cancers of the digestive system.

“It’s a very impressive study,” said Aaron White, senior scientific adviser at the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, part of the National Institutes of Health. “The issue of moderate drinking and its health effects is a very important one, because the majority of people in the country drink and most of those people do so moderately. It’s important for us to be able to advise people what level of consumption is safe.”

As for the threshold for low-risk drinking, White said, “there’s no magic number here. The effects of alcohol on health are very complicated. The effects are influenced by a wide range of factors, like body weight and sex, medications, rate of consumption, so it’s very hard to arrive at one single threshold below which everybody’s going to be safe from harm.”

The new research does not suggest that a drinker who has just a little too much every day is falling off an epidemiological cliff. Instead, a little bit too much causes a little lower life expectancy. But as the drinker ventures further beyond the threshold, the life expectancy continues to erode in dramatic fashion.

Wood and her colleagues found that the threshold for health risks is 100 grams per week (about the alcohol in seven standard American beers, though craft beers have higher alcohol content). The drop in life expectancy for a 40-year-old who drinks between 100 and 200 grams is six months, on average, compared with someone who drinks between zero and 100 grams, the study found. Drinking 200 to 350 grams was associated with a one- to two-year decline in life expectancy, and drinking more than 350 grams corresponded to a four- to five-year drop, on average.

These warnings should be heeded by physicians when talking to their patients about their drinking habits, said one of the study co-authors, Dan G. Blazer, professor of psychiatry emeritus at Duke University School of Medicine.

“I think this is perhaps a good warning that even what they may consider to be moderate – which might be a couple of drinks a day, every day of their lives – may be too much,” Blazer said. He added that he would like to see the country embrace a public health messaging campaign focusing on the health dangers of excessive drinking.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFractalMind
"PUFF" the magic dragon
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: ‘Moderate’ drinking guidelines are too loose, study says [Re: Ythan]
    #25143009 - 04/16/18 12:43 PM (3 months, 28 days ago)

Alcholol is an intoxicant, which is anotjer word for poison basically, meaning even at small ammounts its mechanism of action and the thing that gives you a "buzz" is essentially the sensation of your bodies various cells being poisoned. Thats not to say it doesnt have a place in society, it just blows my mind that people dont realize that alchohol is in the same class of drug as paint thinner... and another thing I hear from drinkers is "its ok to drink wine because it's heart-healthy," which is kinda true but its more accurate to say there happen to be antioxidants in my wine. If you drink wine for the sole purpose of keeping your heart "healthy...." well a) being constantly drunk off of wine still makes you an alchoholic, and b) there are a fuckton more antioxidants in other things that dont kill your brain cells and ability to think logically.

--------------------
Om namah shivaya

OfflineKonyap
lurker
I'm a teapot
Loc: Planet Piss
Re: ‘Moderate’ drinking guidelines are too loose, study says [Re: FractalMind]
    #25143189 - 04/16/18 01:55 PM (3 months, 28 days ago)

Alcohol makes your sperm retarded, I'd recommend less than 4 beers a week not 7.

People used to drink it at every meal to sanitize their water, they'd drink alcohol that was just 3%

Edited by Konyap (04/16/18 01:56 PM)

Onlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male

Re: ‘Moderate’ drinking guidelines are too loose, study says [Re: FractalMind]
    #25143455 - 04/16/18 04:12 PM (3 months, 28 days ago)

Quote:

FractalMind said:
Alcholol is an intoxicant, which is anotjer word for poison basically, meaning even at small ammounts its mechanism of action and the thing that gives you a "buzz" is essentially the sensation of your bodies various cells being poisoned. Thats not to say it doesnt have a place in society, it just blows my mind that people dont realize that alchohol is in the same class of drug as paint thinner... and another thing I hear from drinkers is "its ok to drink wine because it's heart-healthy," which is kinda true but its more accurate to say there happen to be antioxidants in my wine. If you drink wine for the sole purpose of keeping your heart "healthy...." well a) being constantly drunk off of wine still makes you an alchoholic, and b) there are a fuckton more antioxidants in other things that dont kill your brain cells and ability to think logically.

:trollcop::trollcop::trollcop::trollcop:

Enjoy life including using cannabis, shoorms and alcohol, just don't do too much like all those obese people who can't control their eating habits never mind their drug use.

Offlinetriphead9428
Stranger
Male
Loc: VA
Re: ‘Moderate’ drinking guidelines are too loose, study says [Re: rider420]
    #25143760 - 04/16/18 06:33 PM (3 months, 28 days ago)

It did strike me as odd that they were giving men so much more leeway in how much they could drink than women. Even though men don't get intoxicated as fast as girls do, I don't see why their livers would have more ability to process alcohol, it seemed especially strange to claim that men can handle double the amount of alcohol as women.

OfflineBarnaby
The West is the Best
Male

Re: ‘Moderate’ drinking guidelines are too loose, study says [Re: Ythan]
    #25143843 - 04/16/18 07:25 PM (3 months, 28 days ago)

Please drink responsibly.  Who in the hell follows drinking guidelines?

--------------------
LET'S GO ON A JOURNY, A JOURNY THOROUGHOUT TIME, TIME IS CHANGING ALL THE TIME, LETS FORGET ABOUT TIME. WHATS THE TIME IT IS A QUARTER TO NINE.  BUT DON'T WORRY, EVERYONE RUNS OUT OF TIME.  MAKE IT STOP!!!!  I DON'T WANT TO ROT!  BUT EVENTUALLY, EVERYONE RUNS OUT OF TIME.  THEN WE JUMP IN AND OUT OF EACH OTHERS EXISTANCE.  :chesire:

InvisiblebodhisattaM
☕ Rocket Surgeon
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: ‘Moderate’ drinking guidelines are too loose, study says [Re: Barnaby]
    #25144183 - 04/16/18 09:36 PM (3 months, 27 days ago)

Guidelines are for people who give a shit about guidelines. And of guidelines give a shit about government ones

OfflineBarnaby
The West is the Best
Male

Re: ‘Moderate’ drinking guidelines are too loose, study says [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25144598 - 04/17/18 01:42 AM (3 months, 27 days ago)

Common sense is what I go by.  I adjust accordingly to the idiotic church/state society around me in Utah.

--------------------
LET'S GO ON A JOURNY, A JOURNY THOROUGHOUT TIME, TIME IS CHANGING ALL THE TIME, LETS FORGET ABOUT TIME. WHATS THE TIME IT IS A QUARTER TO NINE.  BUT DON'T WORRY, EVERYONE RUNS OUT OF TIME.  MAKE IT STOP!!!!  I DON'T WANT TO ROT!  BUT EVENTUALLY, EVERYONE RUNS OUT OF TIME.  THEN WE JUMP IN AND OUT OF EACH OTHERS EXISTANCE.  :chesire:

Offlinedurian_2008
 User Gallery

#25146256 - 04/17/18 08:11 PM (3 months, 26 days ago)

OfflineBarnaby
The West is the Best
Male

Re: ‘Moderate’ drinking guidelines are too loose, study says [Re: durian_2008]
    #25147401 - 04/18/18 08:34 AM (3 months, 26 days ago)

I meant the laws with drinking.  Not ignorance and the cult breakoff of the LDS church that is miniscule.  He is doing life in prison by the way.  The real LDS church has considerable power and sway.  But people know that anyway.  Put in a polygamy joke or blacks couldn't have the priesthood until 1975.  Or go watch South Parks creators Matt and Trey and what they did with the Book of Mormon.  Though dressing up and going to the theatre is something most millennials are ignorant, poor, and boring as to the world and learning anything from.

--------------------

Offlinedurian_2008
 User Gallery

#25147515 - 04/18/18 10:21 AM (3 months, 26 days ago)

I think that blue laws, not observed by administrators, themselves, are no different from a sex cult.

People like Mormons, Republicans, and North Koreans, tend to be impeccable, outwardly. If you want to use the example from South Park, they were perfectly likable, except in harboring these cult leaders, who live extravagantly, while keeping their constituency in monastic conditions.

:pimp:

OfflineBarnaby
The West is the Best
Male

Re: ‘Moderate’ drinking guidelines are too loose, study says [Re: durian_2008]
    #25149844 - 04/19/18 03:13 AM (3 months, 25 days ago)

Well aware.  But no victim role.  When you have seen almost all the states of the U.S. and met people from all over the world it gives an open mind perspective.  Not superior, as guilt trips and hypocrisy, judgements and condemnations, corrupt laws are rampant here.  Whatever.  I just try to warn people.

Mormons are all white and republican.  But to compare them to North Korea is a bit over the top.:smirk:  You want fakeness though, you have it. Just in a much different way.

--------------------

OfflineBarnaby
The West is the Best
Male

#25149848 - 04/19/18 03:18 AM (3 months, 25 days ago)

The soundtrack to the book of Mormon is hilarious by the way.  Even for the people who have never read it.  It reminds me of the book Suttree, one of my favorite books I have read. Where he writes about finding a book of Mormon in a bus stop and reading the strangest tale he has ever read.  And coming from that author, not in a bad way but just respect for his writing and movies, like No Country for Old Men and The Road, I found that amusing.

--------------------

Offlinedurian_2008
 User Gallery

#25150526 - 04/19/18 01:35 PM (3 months, 25 days ago)

Quote:

Barnaby said:
Mormons are all white and republican.  But to compare them to North Korea is a bit over the top.:smirk:

They seem pious and respectable, to a tee. :shrug: Except for that one thing. It's just a religious disagreement.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service