Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous #1

What can someone do with your IP * 1
    #25040847 - 03/05/18 04:04 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I was casually talking shit to people on Xbox live last night, I thought it was all fun and games

one guy got all serious and said I am finding your IP right now
google mapping your location, calling law enforcement (we were talking about drugs) and other bs threats

I know you can get doxed from your IP

the guy didn't seem that tech-savvy I doubt he even had the software or it pulled up, and I left immediately when he said he was searching for my IP

basically, if this guy had my IP and wanted to screw me over what could he do?

I am not very worried, I think they were just empty threats

this thread was made mostly out of curiosity

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebiggysmall
Stranger
Male

Loc: your moms bedroom
Re: What can someone do with your IP [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #25040859 - 03/05/18 04:08 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I am that kid from xbox. your anonymous post will not save you. I have your ip

Anonymous #1

Re: What can someone do with your IP [Re: biggysmall]
    #25040884 - 03/05/18 04:14 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

:growshrooms:

Anonymous #2

#25040921 - 03/05/18 04:31 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Most of the time these threats are empty.

If they are serious and actually do something with it you can report them to sony/microsoft. My brother is a serious online community gamer and I've been surprised at what sony will actually take action on. He's gotten accounts banned and stuff like that over bullshit threats/doxing

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
    #25045738 - 03/07/18 12:02 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Your IP address is pretty comparable to your phone number.

You can't tell exactly where someone is located based on their phone number, but you can get a general idea from the area code and exchange - like looking up an IP address in a geolocation database.

You can tie up somebody's phone line by calling them over and over again so they can't ever make an outgoing call - like launching a denial of service attack on an IP address.

If someone calls your number, there's no adult home, and they manage to get your 5 year old kid on the line, they may be able to convince them to read off Mommy and Daddy's credit card numbers - like hacking an insecure device that isn't behind a firewall.

Almost everyone these days is using a router to share their internet with multiple devices. This setup is kind of like a basic firewall. Even if someone has your IP, they can't talk directly to any of your devices unless you've connected to their IP first. It's like if you have your phone set to reject calls from numbers that aren't in your contacts. So probably the main risk you have to worry about is a denial of service attack. If someone threatens your IP address and then you notice you can't connect to the internet anymore, they may be flooding your connection with bogus data and you might need to change your IP. Often this is as simple as turning off your modem, waiting a few minutes, and turning it back on. If that doesn't help you can call your internet service provider, tell them you may be the victim of a DoS attack, and request a new IP.

In general, people who make these kinds of threats don't have the resources or expertise to carry out an attack. But perhaps you can avoid the whole situation by not getting into fights with anonymous 12-year-olds on Xbox Live. :rolleyes:

OfflineUnsungHero
Endure & Persist

Loc: root@remotehost
Re: What can someone do with your IP [Re: Ythan]
    #25045756 - 03/07/18 12:07 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Hes gonna find you, and bang your Mom. Seriously though, anyone who says "I have your IP" as a threat is a fucking noob.

--------------------
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear."

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
    #25047716 - 03/08/18 12:05 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I suppose someone could fake a screen shot where you say you are going to commit a violent crime, then report you to law enforcement, who might follow up.  Kind of like swatting.

Or they could sue you and subpoena your info.

Both are pretty unlikely.

Offlineparadoxlost
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: What can someone do with your IP [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #25054616 - 03/10/18 01:59 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

With the IP of your router they can find your physical address, and than with your local address they can tell what machine you are on in your local area network.

With this information, a person can determine the vulnerability state of your network. Depending on security issues, and if a person has other information about your machine, or perhaps they have put a trojan on your machine. With a trojan they can literally control your computer. Basically they would turn your machine into a VPN. Having your IP address makes it easier to put that on. With your IP address, they can than use a trojan to open the door, and the IP is the address of the door they need to walk into. So they can extract information, put information onto your account, get access to webcam, speakers, etc, monitor incoming/outgoing packets, mine cryptos, etc.

--------------------
[quote]koods said:
Asante, I don’t think we should have any sympathy and should celebrate the deaths of antivax/antimask activists. They are responsible for far more American deaths than al Qaeda ever was. Every time one of them dies ther movement of death is weakened.ut[/quote]

[quote]koods said:
Chasing variants with vaccines is a dumb idea[/quote]

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: What can someone do with your IP [Re: paradoxlost]
    #25054685 - 03/10/18 02:38 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

paradoxlost said:
With the IP of your router they can find your physical address, and than with your local address they can tell what machine you are on in your local area network.

The physical (MAC) address only gets sent to the next hop, no further.  If you check the MAC address on a packet coming in from the internet, it will have the address of your internet gateway, not their machine.    You would need to break into their router to get that information, and that isn't usually easy.

Quote:

With this information, a person can determine the vulnerability state of your network. Depending on security issues, and if a person has other information about your machine, or perhaps they have put a trojan on your machine. With a trojan they can literally control your computer. Basically they would turn your machine into a VPN. Having your IP address makes it easier to put that on. With your IP address, they can than use a trojan to open the door, and the IP is the address of the door they need to walk into. So they can extract information, put information onto your account, get access to webcam, speakers, etc, monitor incoming/outgoing packets, mine cryptos, etc.

Almost all routers drop inbound packets, so knowing someones IP rarely lets you do anything at all unless they leave a default password on their router and open up their router to remote configuration - a very unlikely setup.

InvisibleBuffy
The Slayer
Female

#25057668 - 03/12/18 04:29 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

paradoxlost said:

The only way to get the physical home address of a user of an IP address would be to find out who the ISP had leased the IP address to at that time. This is like LEA subpoena type thing, some random dude on Xbox live isn't going to be able to do this.

The MAC address of the LAN client connected to Xbox live is not broadcasted past the router, the router's MAC address is the only thing that can be seen from the WAN side. You need access to the router itself to determine which client is connected to Xbox live.

There's not a lot someone can do with just your IP address. Most attacks are going to be filtered automatically by your firewall and also through NAT. They could maybe try to DOS you, in which case you might experience some interruption in your bandwidth, but you can simply turn off your router and computer for thirty minutes or so and your ISP will lease you a different dynamic IP address.

Edited by Buffy (03/12/18 04:30 AM)

Offlineparadoxlost
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25058780 - 03/12/18 04:45 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

paradoxlost said:

The physical (MAC) address only gets sent to the next hop, no further.  If you check the MAC address on a packet coming in from the internet, it will have the address of your internet gateway, not their machine.    You would need to break into their router to get that information, and that isn't usually easy.

Quote:

Almost all routers drop inbound packets, so knowing someones IP rarely lets you do anything at all unless they leave a default password on their router and open up their router to remote configuration - a very unlikely setup.

haha yea, I guess you need more than just an IP address, but if you have that, and know how to get the other stuff, than you're golden.

--------------------
[quote]koods said:
Asante, I don’t think we should have any sympathy and should celebrate the deaths of antivax/antimask activists. They are responsible for far more American deaths than al Qaeda ever was. Every time one of them dies ther movement of death is weakened.ut[/quote]

[quote]koods said:

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
    #25059514 - 03/12/18 11:40 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

haha yea, I guess you need more than just an IP address, but if you have that, and know how to get the other stuff, than you're golden.

Knowing the IP address does not really help you get the other stuff.

Offlineparadoxlost
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25060315 - 03/13/18 11:06 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Never said it did

--------------------
[quote]koods said:

[quote]koods said:

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #25061526 - 03/13/18 08:42 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

If it's a very serious dedicated person, an IP can potentially be personally identifying. I say that only because this is an often discussed topic on certain trolling forums.

It's hard but not impossible to go from IP to address or even real person. It all depends on the kind of information that exists about you online. If that IP is tied to any publicly available info about yourself or to any of your internet accounts in a public way, then you're fucked. What's even more of a danger is if you use the same user name on multiple websites. Then if someone identifies one of your accounts, they can identify multiple accounts, and try to break into/access info in all of them, or pool resources in other ways.

This is why proper opsec is so important.

Having said all that, it is highly, highly doubtful that you will attract the attention of anyone skilled enough to make use of your IP unless you are a real asshole and a terrible human being.

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: What can someone do with your IP [Re: nooneman]
    #25086586 - 03/24/18 05:37 AM (6 years, 25 days ago)

Never underestimate a raging gamer, they want blood:crankey:

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

Offlineparadoxlost
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: What can someone do with your IP [Re: nooneman]
    #25089245 - 03/25/18 10:46 AM (6 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:
If it's a very serious dedicated person, an IP can potentially be personally identifying. I say that only because this is an often discussed topic on certain trolling forums.

It's hard but not impossible to go from IP to address or even real person. It all depends on the kind of information that exists about you online. If that IP is tied to any publicly available info about yourself or to any of your internet accounts in a public way, then you're fucked. What's even more of a danger is if you use the same user name on multiple websites. Then if someone identifies one of your accounts, they can identify multiple accounts, and try to break into/access info in all of them, or pool resources in other ways.

This is why proper opsec is so important.

Having said all that, it is highly, highly doubtful that you will attract the attention of anyone skilled enough to make use of your IP unless you are a real asshole and a terrible human being.

idk, there are some tools out  there that make some of that stuff damn easy

--------------------
[quote]koods said:

[quote]koods said:

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
    #25092088 - 03/26/18 01:58 PM (6 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

paradoxlost said:
idk, there are some tools out  there that make some of that stuff damn easy

No not really, the tools out there can't access the ISP's internal machines so they can't see anything more than someone with traceroute/nslookup/whois/nmap can see.

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

#25101205 - 03/30/18 02:09 AM (6 years, 19 days ago)

Your IP is like a reflection of your soul.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
    #25137556 - 04/14/18 03:32 AM (6 years, 4 days ago)

Wouldnt worry about it.

Hes probably lying anyway. And having an IP address isnt enough to find someones house. Plus, hes gunna tip cops across the country or something?

Highly unlikely.

--------------------
"What you must understand is that your physical dimension affects everyone in the higher dimensions as well. All things are interconnected. All things are One. Therefore, if one dimension is broken or out of balance, then all other dimensions will experience repercussions." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:| Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. Welcome to the Next Great Era of Earth 🌎🌍🌏                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | 💧 Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method 💧 | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: What can someone do with your IP [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #25138893 - 04/14/18 04:13 PM (6 years, 3 days ago)

It is called swatting, and yes people have sent cops over something made up due to trash talk.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals